Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Drashin posted:

Can anyone tell me how well Final Fantasy Tactics works on the iPhone 5? I have heard that it has some problems but I want to know if they are game-breaking or just occasional annoyances. I know it will probably be updated when they bring the android version over here but given Square's past records it will probably won't be for a couple months and I don't want to wait that long.

I beat it on an iPhone 4. The controls are not amazing but eventually you get used to them (hold and drag don't point and click). They redid the text boxes so it's not fuzzy looking like it was at launch, and you know about the Android version being redone entirely.

I'm not sure if it has the full aspect ratio on an iPhone 5, SE is horrible about updating earlier games (I think some of their first app store releases still don't have multitasking, a feature introduced in the 3GS).

It still has the slowdown the PSP version has but doesn't feel as bad as the PSP one to me.

All in all it's not perfectly handled but it's still FFT on your phone and the base game is excellent.

I might be a bit biased because I've played every version of the game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Count me in as well on the Year Walk late bandwaggon. I actually got really spooked from playing the game today. I haven't finished it because I went on to go see a movie, but goddamn the atmosphere in that game is amazing.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bummey posted:

a lot of people have missed out on the best parts because they didn't pay enough attention or missed some small details here and there.

Uh, like what?

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

iPad gamer dudes, do you guys recommend the 16gb or 32gb iPads? I plan on getting one next month for school and games, and I don't see myself using more than 16gb considering I won't have any music at all on it. Do iPad games eat up storage space pretty quickly?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

roboshit posted:

iPad gamer dudes, do you guys recommend the 16gb or 32gb iPads? I plan on getting one next month for school and games, and I don't see myself using more than 16gb considering I won't have any music at all on it. Do iPad games eat up storage space pretty quickly?

If games are a big part of your purchase get 32, some iPad games approach 2GB. The games I play most are usually around 1GB each. The iPad is a lot more suited for larger games than a phone is.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yuh, my ipad mini is 16gb, and I'm always hurting for space. I don't have any music or videos on there, it's like 90% games. I mean, I could free poo poo up by deleting a couple of the bigger games, and they'll stay forever in my itunes account... but I don't wanna. :saddowns: I like having them on there. I have the same conundrum going on with Steam, but at least I can get extra storage for my PC pretty easily.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I have the 64GB because I was always running out of space on my 32GB iPhone. I don't know how much space I've used on it but it's somewhere around the 45-50 GB range I think. iPad games are huge.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Don't even think of getting 16. Get the 32. Seriously, don't even question it.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

goferchan posted:

Not exactly -- it gives the actual historical folklore background for some of the settings and creatures you encounter, which is really cool, but with one exception (that you'll know when you see) it's not particularly helpful in solving any of the game's puzzles.

Edit: Also, it's totally safe to go poking around in it at any point during the game, you won't spoil anything

It's there to absolutely make sense of/conclude the whole experience. The disservice was in them downplaying its importance for some reason.

You literally do not finish the story without it.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Drashin posted:

Can anyone tell me how well Final Fantasy Tactics works on the iPhone 5? I have heard that it has some problems but I want to know if they are game-breaking or just occasional annoyances. I know it will probably be updated when they bring the android version over here but given Square's past records it will probably won't be for a couple months and I don't want to wait that long.

It controls fine, but it crashes all the loving time. I don't think I've played more than 15 or 20 minutes without it crashing, unless I put the iPhone 5 into airplane mode, which for some bizarre reason makes it way more stable (but not perfect). Usually the auto save feature makes sure you don't lose more than one or two minutes of progress, but it is still annoying as hell.

Also, it doesn't take advantage of the iPhone 5's larger screen if you care about that.

Ganguro King fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 25, 2013

Power Dips
Feb 6, 2008
hey bobby malone, it's good to have you home, a couple months on the couch while you figure things out, won't do you wrong.

roboshit posted:

Another ditto to get the 32gb iPad here.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I checked out Ridiculous Fishing after the multiple gushings in this thread. What a dumb premise. It's repetitive and grindy, and honestly you just pull fish out of the water and shoot them... over and over again. Occasionally you get crap to make the fish-pulling and shooting less tedious. I don't see the point. I also have no idea why I can't seem to put it the gently caress down. I mean it, I literally don't understand what the pull is, even while I'm deep in its thralls. I should have gotten bored with this game long ago. I cannot explain it. It just does SOMETHING to my brain, there's genuinely some kind of digital crack going on there. It's like when I got Picross on DS. It's just counting blocks on a grid! I don't even like logic puzzles! God, I sunk more hours into that than all my other games combined. Probably.

So yeah, Year Walk and Happy Street were my only Must Buy recommendation, now I'll add Ridiculous Fishing because it's making me.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
The Capcom USA VP guy said that Ace Attorney HD is scheduled for April, although even that is subject to change. :shrug:

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
I'm happy with my 16GB ipad, I only play a few games at a time so the extra 20 gigs of unused space from a 32GB ipad would just get filled with music I wouldn't listen to anyway.
and the 32 GB ipad is so much more expensive than what an additional 16 GB of memory actually costs, that the pricing angers me, so screw that poo poo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sad lions posted:

It's there to absolutely make sense of/conclude the whole experience. The disservice was in them downplaying its importance for some reason.

You literally do not finish the story without it.

Oh yeah, I played through the whole game, that's what I meant by "you'll know it when you see it"-- I think the poster I replied to believed it was some sort of guide or walkthrough though, when the information it provides doesn't really give "hints" or anything for some the game's more obtuse puzzles. You're right, though, it's obviously essential and I hope nobody played through the whole game and said "that was it?" without ever loading up the companion app.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good picross app for iPhones? I have played through some of the Pathpix games, but I am looking for an actual Picross game this time. A quick search of the App Store turns up a ton of games.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Orvin posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good picross app for iPhones? I have played through some of the Pathpix games, but I am looking for an actual Picross game this time. A quick search of the App Store turns up a ton of games.
I like Crosslogic Unlimited and it appears to be free (still). It has a ridiculous amount of content. I've seen picross controls done better but they're usable.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Juc66 posted:

I'm happy with my 16GB ipad, I only play a few games at a time so the extra 20 gigs of unused space from a 32GB ipad would just get filled with music I wouldn't listen to anyway.
and the 32 GB ipad is so much more expensive than what an additional 16 GB of memory actually costs, that the pricing angers me, so screw that poo poo.

I agree but if you take this to its logical conclusion all Apple stuff is overpriced :v:

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I agree but if you take this to its logical conclusion all Apple stuff is overpriced :v:

I know but I need iOS devices to make apps :cry:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Oceanbound posted:

The Capcom USA VP guy said that Ace Attorney HD is scheduled for April, although even that is subject to change. :shrug:

Awesome. Is that an HD version of the current DS game on the store at the moment, or is it more in the series?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Corridor posted:

I checked out Ridiculous Fishing after the multiple gushings in this thread. What a dumb premise. It's repetitive and grindy, and honestly you just pull fish out of the water and shoot them... over and over again. Occasionally you get crap to make the fish-pulling and shooting less tedious. I don't see the point. I also have no idea why I can't seem to put it the gently caress down. I mean it, I literally don't understand what the pull is, even while I'm deep in its thralls:. I should have gotten bored with this game long ago. I cannot explain it. It just does SOMETHING to my brain, there's genuinely some kind of digital crack going on there. It's like when I got Picross on DS. It's just counting blocks on a grid! I don't even like logic puzzles! God, I sunk more hours into that than all my other games combined. Probably.

It's sort of like Puzzle Craft. It's not always fun, interesting or new, and often it's more tedious and frustrating, than not. But, LINES. DRAW MORE LINES. MUST DRAW ALL THE LINES!

You get locked into a compulsion loop and have to keep repeating the actions.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Orvin posted:

I've gotten tons of playtime out of Pixelogic, and they're still adding a new puzzle every day. It also has my favorite controls of all the picross games I've tried.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

concerned mom posted:

Awesome. Is that an HD version of the current DS game on the store at the moment, or is it more in the series?

From what I've heard it's all three of the Pheonix Wright games but I think it may be based off the GBA version (AA has no case 5) as I think the first iOS gme was a GBA remake.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 25, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
This game called Shellrazer is free today, I'm having fun with it.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

triplexpac posted:

This game called Shellrazer is free today, I'm having fun with it.

If you miss it, don't worry. It will go free again next month.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Wario In Real Life posted:

Fun little game you've made here bros (and other guy).

https://everyplay.com/videos/33386

Can't wait until everyone else gets a chance to try it out.

God drat, how many 3 star heroes do you have?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Is there a goon guild in Nimble Heroes? Also are there any real differences between levels besides stronger enemies? Some have tiny shape differences but its basically all square snake level with a bit cut out.

edit: I mean Nimble Quest!

Davincie fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 25, 2013

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

eeenmachine posted:

God drat, how many 3 star heroes do you have?
6 I think? It's amazing what a huge difference it makes. I just had an arena run where I hit 500.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I finished Pixel People. That was a very anticlimactic ending. I think it even said "You're getting close! Something might happen!"

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Anime_Otaku posted:

From what I've heard it's all three of the Pheonix Wright games but I think it may be based off the GBA version (AA has no case 5) as I think the first iOS gme was a GBA remake.

I grabbed the iphone version of PW1 when I heard the rumour that the hd trilogy was cancelled so I can confirm that it does in fact have all 5 cases of the DS version.
Glad to hear some whispers that the HD one might still happen though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one who hates action games on the iPhone? It's turn-based or nothing for me. I play games on my phone when I'm bored and waiting for things, it's not as though I'm purposely using my phone as a gaming platform when I'm home alone. I need games that I can look away from at any moment and not lose, games that auto-save any time I need to switch out of the app or put my phone to sleep, i.e. games that don't require a constant focus. Unfortunately everyone else gets excited about endless runners and tilt-to-guide games.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Orvin posted:

Pixelogic if you like the traditional 2d game and Oh! Cube is great if you liked Picross 3D.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

Am I the only one who hates action games on the iPhone? It's turn-based or nothing for me. I play games on my phone when I'm bored and waiting for things, it's not as though I'm purposely using my phone as a gaming platform when I'm home alone. I need games that I can look away from at any moment and not lose, games that auto-save any time I need to switch out of the app or put my phone to sleep, i.e. games that don't require a constant focus. Unfortunately everyone else gets excited about endless runners and tilt-to-guide games.

Sadly, we seem to be in the minority. Handheld devices like the PSP (and the Vita, now) have long struggled with that very issue of people trying to make games unsuited to the platform. It's just How Things Are.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Wario In Real Life posted:

6 I think? It's amazing what a huge difference it makes. I just had an arena run where I hit 500.

So you must have bought some IAPs then?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Orvin posted:

Pixelogic is pretty good and has free daily content going back to June 2009, so it should keep you busy.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Bummey posted:

Sadly, we seem to be in the minority. Handheld devices like the PSP (and the Vita, now) have long struggled with that very issue of people trying to make games unsuited to the platform. It's just How Things Are.

I'm somewhat with you guys, for the iPhone I don't play action games unless I know I have a window break to focus to them, so long bus rides for example, but those aren't nearly as common as say a half minute between customers that could be shorter or longer, pause button doesn't usually help.

Basically, I play both, but turn based games or easily paused ones are the ones that get the most play for me because my iPod is a stopgap gaming device. For PSP though, I find it more a dedicated gaming device, so I'll play it at home even if I have access to my PC so it's not quite so onesided.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've realized that puzzle/runner/strategy/point and click/blatantly designed for iPhone and nothing else games are the only things that stick for me on the iPhone. Using my 3DS for gaming is infinitely more fun and rewarding. The devs who try to put huge actiony console games on a phone are totally missing the point of the platform if you ask me.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

eeenmachine posted:

So you must have bought some IAPs then?
Absolutely. :tipshat:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Am I missing something, or is Robotek a big snoozy bore-fest? I've sunk a few hours into it, and all I've done is play basically the same exact fight dozens of times. The enemies and I get slightly stronger over time, and occasionally I get a new ehhhh special attack that I might get to use once per fight. There's really only one basic strategy that works (i.e., if you don't have robots out, make robots; if you do have robots out, attack or buff as appropriate). Really the only thing determining the outcome of any of my matches is the randomness of the wheel. If the AI gets a couple of free spins, the fight's going to get hairy; if I get the good spins, I'm going to completely stomp the enemy. Am I playing wrong, or is this game just not for me?

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Trustworthy posted:

Am I missing something, or is Robotek a big snoozy bore-fest? I've sunk a few hours into it, and all I've done is play basically the same exact fight dozens of times. The enemies and I get slightly stronger over time, and occasionally I get a new ehhhh special attack that I might get to use once per fight. There's really only one basic strategy that works (i.e., if you don't have robots out, make robots; if you do have robots out, attack or buff as appropriate). Really the only thing determining the outcome of any of my matches is the randomness of the wheel. If the AI gets a couple of free spins, the fight's going to get hairy; if I get the good spins, I'm going to completely stomp the enemy. Am I playing wrong, or is this game just not for me?

:smith:

No, you've got the gist of it. That's about all there is to it. It's probably not for you.

• Locked thread