Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

FIRST TIME posted:

Thanks for the info. I think might be causing me to catch a case of Auto Insanity over here, lord help me.
No problem. I know a guy who did this same swap because it's a lot cheaper than getting a 6 speed 540i, or finding a box to put in one. After all, there are a lot more 540s and 740s to grab an engine from than there are e34's and e39's to grab a 6 speed from.

Go post over in the BMW thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

leica posted:

How are the Bilstein coilovers? They seem reasonably priced, and compared to a Koni/Bilstein GC setup, after buying custom mounts and bump stops I'd be a couple hundred bucks away from Bilstein coilovers anyway.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/20-1070pss9.html?gclid=CNDIyfXlkbYCFQ-znQodh2YA0w

http://farnorthracing.com/shocks_2.html

Bilsteins are good in of the fact that they're all bilstein shocks, and if you futz with them enough you can basically take a low level shock and have it up to penske level if you're willing to put the work in it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus it's depressing that I can't get a decent setup for under a grand. Now I'm reading about Konis being crap because they are inconsistent and people have to match them off a dyno, wtf.

I really want a good setup for my Miata but I just don't see myself being able to justify the cost. I'll probably have to end buying KYB AGX or some poo poo because my original shocks are hosed :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Just buy some used Bilsteins, GC sleeves, and FCM top hats. That's probably about 1k or so and the best bang for buck in my opinion. Don't get down about these guys that say everything sucks below 2k or whatever. Yeah, that may be true if you're racing, but on a street car I imagine it's going to be "good enough" for you. I too hate feeling like there's always something better I could have bought but do you really want to spend more on shocks than you did on your car?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lowclock posted:

Not even, the B30 and B40 use the exact same software. The 530i will only have the middle-sized diff and trans, but they live fine behind modded M3s and stuff and shouldn't matter at all. Yes it is just that simple!

The diff should be fine. BMW diffs are pretty loving strong. Hell even the small ones are pretty beefy, so there shouldn't be much to worry about.

What kind of transmission do you have? Auto or stick?

Maybe a few connectors might be different, but I doubt it, so if you can snag the wiring harness. unless its a shitload more money.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

animeliker posted:

Thank you. I autocross currently in a stock 1992 240sx, I will try that setup when suspension upgrades are needed.

Pay attention to what you can do with regards to classing, sometimes staying with a stock spring will put you at a class advantage that is more than the performance from a spring upgrade. I do think dampers are somewhat open within reason, so good dampers might be your first stop.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The diff should be fine. BMW diffs are pretty loving strong. Hell even the small ones are pretty beefy, so there shouldn't be much to worry about.

What kind of transmission do you have? Auto or stick?

Maybe a few connectors might be different, but I doubt it, so if you can snag the wiring harness. unless its a shitload more money.

Unfortunately, they're both automatics. I've looked locally and can't find a 6 speed, online I've found one for about 2 grand.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

FIRST TIME posted:

Unfortunately, they're both automatics. I've looked locally and can't find a 6 speed, online I've found one for about 2 grand.
Ew okay then. Your best option is probably to just find a 5 speed (manual) from a V8 car like a 5/730i if you want to keep it cheap. I bet you can find one for way less than the 6 speed, just make sure yo get one with a V8 bellhousing.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!! This or an equivalent 740 would the last DD I'd ever own.

How much was it going for last time?

4500ish, and I assume it sold for less. I offered 1200 after looking up the transmission replacement steps and cost of a used M56 + 15g turbo :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Came across this. It is actually gold. That's a good price for an EFI one in that condition.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-city/cars-vans-utes/lada-niva-4x4-1997-1-7i-efi-offroad-wagon-1500-firm/1016446350

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Just buy some used Bilsteins, GC sleeves, and FCM top hats. That's probably about 1k or so and the best bang for buck in my opinion. Don't get down about these guys that say everything sucks below 2k or whatever. Yeah, that may be true if you're racing, but on a street car I imagine it's going to be "good enough" for you. I too hate feeling like there's always something better I could have bought but do you really want to spend more on shocks than you did on your car?

Yeah That's what I've been thinking, I'll just have to be patient and find some used stuff, build the setup gradually and deal with the shot shocks for now.

And to be honest, I wouldn't mind spending money on good shocks to make my car handle the best it can, I just can't afford it. Someone made a good point about spending more money on suspension than a Miata is worth....Would it make you feel better if you spent more on the car? Be glad you got the car cheap so you can spend the money on good dampers.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
$1250 for a running, registered, semi-drivable GTI? I want to go buy this...

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3700097597.html

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

VanNuys posted:

$1250 for a running, registered, semi-drivable GTI? I want to go buy this...

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3700097597.html
For an '85 that's well above reasonably good. That's pretty drat good at $1250.

Here's the real question though for whoever buys it - daily driver, or track car?

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
I'm on a roll, another LA craigslist gem!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/3700161375.html

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

That's pretty gaudy. What's the backstory behind this "No Limit Honkey"?

quote:

This car has been seen on:
-MTV
-Dr. Phil
-Thousands of websites/blogs

A few things jumped out at me on this one.
    -MTV: Not exactly noteworthy considering MTV has a show dedicated to taking bad cars and making them worse.
    -Dr. Phil: Something tells me this car's appearance on Dr. Phil wasn't on a positive note.
    -Thousands of blogs: See above.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

So you made an offer yes?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

So you made an offer yes?

No. It's in Brisbane. Anyway I can't even organise a day to get back to Melbourne let alone the ~1400km to Brisbane, and of course back again. So that'd be 2800km. Yeah... no.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

General_Failure posted:

No. It's in Brisbane. Anyway I can't even organise a day to get back to Melbourne let alone the ~1400km to Brisbane, and of course back again. So that'd be 2800km. Yeah... no.

I believe in you! You can do it!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Commie posted:

Pay attention to what you can do with regards to classing, sometimes staying with a stock spring will put you at a class advantage that is more than the performance from a spring upgrade. I do think dampers are somewhat open within reason, so good dampers might be your first stop.

With regards to better dampers on stocks springs; would Bilstein B6s be a good step up from stock shocks?

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
This truck sounds like it would be a blast to drive (after its running)

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3597068484.html

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

VanNuys posted:

This truck sounds like it would be a blast to drive (after its running)

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3597068484.html

I've ridden in a Dodge D50 with the same swap.

I have never been more scared in my life.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mighty Horse posted:

I've ridden in a Dodge D50 with the same swap.

I have never been more scared in my life.

Now I want it more.

I've always wanted to do a MM 4G63T swap. :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/3702455563.html

Somebody please give this Audi Quattro in Georgia a forever home :(

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
This is one for BrokenKnucklez
http://iowacity.craigslist.org/cto/3685431621.html

Looks like a clean 944..

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Lightbulb Out posted:

This is one for BrokenKnucklez
http://iowacity.craigslist.org/cto/3685431621.html

Looks like a clean 944..

That is a clean 944. If I wasn't moving soon, I would be able to buy it. But I am trying to limit the amount of crap I am going to have to lug to Omaha.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
This AMG 500sel has been for sale for 6 months with the same ad and price. When does the seller realize that maybe 10 people total want to buy it, and at a project car price? Fielding calls from craigslist for 6 months... :psyduck:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3695574434.html
"$5,000 1980 Mercedes Benz 500-SEL (AMG). This model, when new, was only sold in Europe not in the USA. Car is in beautiful condition. Needs a new water pump."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MATLAB 1988 posted:

This AMG 500sel has been for sale for 6 months with the same ad and price. When does the seller realize that maybe 10 people total want to buy it, and at a project car price? Fielding calls from craigslist for 6 months... :psyduck:

"$5,000 1980 Mercedes Benz 500-SEL (AMG). This model, when new, was only sold in Europe not in the USA. Car is in beautiful condition. Needs a new water pump."

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind AI of the following web site: http://www.1000sel.com/

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

MATLAB 1988 posted:

There is another one I find on STL craigs from time to time. It's a guy selling a 300d or maybe sd, anyway he lists no price, shows a few scant pics, one of which I believe you can see rust, and two links to Hemmings and KBB classic, requesting that all offers must be in a range specified as per the links, and then he may entertain actually showing the car.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Custom 1997 Chevy Cavalier - $1 (Cloverdale, In)

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3704546020.html

1997 CHEVY CAVALIER TOTTALLY CUSTOM, Automatic trans. 2.2L 4 cylinder. The bad: car has a dent on front drivers side pannel, Interior needs finished, car has no AC or heat the blower has been removed from the engine bay . The Good: Car is sitting on 17inch rims with 2 new tires, Car runs and drives great. has 10 Switch Air Ride, Lambo Doors with tinted mirror windows, Shaved door handels, Gas tank, Radio Antenna, folding side mirrors, and Blue and yellow Metal Flake paint (even on motor) the yellow on the car has green and orange metalflake camelion paint. Has blue and white interior with DVD player in center console thats for the two tvs in the car (not hooked up), i also have a tv that was going to go in the streering wheel, theres a wall behind the front seats, the back seat has been taken out. Motor has been dressed up with a cold air intake, MSD ignition, Excell coil pack,a header with a strait pipe and it has also been painted to match the rest of the car. You Will Not Find One Drop Of Greese on This Motor. The Back window and the two rear windows have been removed and has sheet metal over rear windows, and its painted to look like sheet metal, looks great! The interior is 40% finished. Car has duel exhaust out the back. Im looking to trade for a 4 wheel drive jeep or truck, or S10 with a V8, or just shoot me an offer. the worse i can say is no thanks ; text anytime,

Too many pictures for me to do a screen grab for them all. The description should give you an idea of the awesomeness. Has Haters get a Job painted on it.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Elephanthead posted:

1997 CHEVY CAVALIER TOTTALLY CUSTOM, Automatic trans. 2.2L 4 cylinder. The bad: car has a dent on front drivers side pannel, Interior needs finished, car has no AC or heat the blower has been removed from the engine bay . The Good: Car is sitting on 17inch rims with 2 new tires, Car runs and drives great. has 10 Switch Air Ride, Lambo Doors with tinted mirror windows, Shaved door handels, Gas tank, Radio Antenna, folding side mirrors, and Blue and yellow Metal Flake paint (even on motor) the yellow on the car has green and orange metalflake camelion paint. Has blue and white interior with DVD player in center console thats for the two tvs in the car (not hooked up), i also have a tv that was going to go in the streering wheel, theres a wall behind the front seats, the back seat has been taken out. Motor has been dressed up with a cold air intake, MSD ignition, Excell coil pack,a header with a strait pipe and it has also been painted to match the rest of the car. You Will Not Find One Drop Of Greese on This Motor. The Back window and the two rear windows have been removed and has sheet metal over rear windows, and its painted to look like sheet metal, looks great! The interior is 40% finished. Car has duel exhaust out the back. Im looking to trade for a 4 wheel drive jeep or truck, or S10 with a V8, or just shoot me an offer. the worse i can say is no thanks ; text anytime,

Too many pictures for me to do a screen grab for them all. The description should give you an idea of the awesomeness. Has Haters get a Job painted on it.

The best part about this is that he has the same universal 5 lug knockoff STi wheels that my beater '97 Z24 has on it.

Edit: Only picture I have while at work

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 26, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Elephanthead posted:

But I have a job and a better car than he does?

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Octopus Magic posted:

But I have a job and a better car than he does?

Yeah...but "You Will Not Find One Drop Of Greese on This Motor"

The cavalier engine bay looks so pathetic and asthmatic :(

ssspy007
Aug 5, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Does that have 2 tvs in the back bumper?!

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Elephanthead posted:

Duel exhaust :hist101: and don't forget the door Handels. (I couldn't find a piano smiley.)

Who the hell puts Lambo doors on a '97 Cavalier? And what the gently caress, he felt it was absolutely necessary to mention that the car comes with a gas tank?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

It has sheet metal over the windows that is painted to look like sheet metal.

What?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
The love people have for their Cavaliers knows no boundaries.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Did they mis-measure that damned slanty back plate holder and have to take a chunk out of the blue part, or is that just an artefact?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Dubious posted:

The love people have for their Cavaliers knows no boundaries.

Dude, you have no idea.

Mine was $400, the PO had installed a rebuilt Quad 4 into it with a cam swap, a Quaife LSD, beefy "Stage 3" clutch, 8 lb aluminum flywheel, giant aftermarket sway bars, rebuilt the transmission with the shorter gears from a 2.2 OHV car, full exhaust from aftermarket header back. Poly bushings all over the drat thing.

The thing has seriously thousands invested into it.

It makes one hell of a beater car, I'll tell you.

Edit: The door panel falls off on hard turns and you can shake the entire dashboard with your hand. Heh, GM.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Noise Complaint posted:

Dude, you have no idea.

Mine was $400, the PO had installed a rebuilt Quad 4 into it with a cam swap, a Quaife LSD, beefy "Stage 3" clutch, 8 lb aluminum flywheel, giant aftermarket sway bars, rebuilt the transmission with the shorter gears from a 2.2 OHV car, full exhaust from aftermarket header back. Poly bushings all over the drat thing.

The thing has seriously thousands invested into it.

It makes one hell of a beater car, I'll tell you.

Edit: The door panel falls off on hard turns and you can shake the entire dashboard with your hand. Heh, GM.

That sounds like the absolute best car on the planet, I'm seriously jealous.

edit: this is a completely unironic post

grumplestiltzkin fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A friend of mine is a teacher and she drives a stereotypical red cavalier (they're all red here for some reason :iiam: )

She has taught at the same country school now for 10 years and it is located over 100 KMs from where she lives. So, 200+KM per day, each school day for 10 years. Sometimes twice if she has to go back and sometimes on the weekend too. The car is also her daily driver around town of course.

Her cavalier is about a 2001 and it has something like 400K on it and actually still looks pretty good.

As lovely as cavaliers are, it has not really needed much other than maintenance, which blows me away.