Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

The Dark Wind posted:

Assuming someone had like Sako or Desk levels of execution and could consistently hit the Firebrand touch of death all the time, is there any reason Firebrand wouldn't be considered top tier? It sounds like in the hands of someone who has godlike levels of execution Firebrand is potentially a complete nightmare to deal with unless you counterpick with one of the few characters who can escape his ToD.

He still has to kill the point character, which he probably can't do in one combo. Maybe he could burn xf1 and do it, I'm not sure. If the other guy gets one touch your team is hosed. It would be a cool team but I think it would be hard for it to compete with the likes of vergil/zero's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

He still has to kill the point character, which he probably can't do in one combo. Maybe he could burn xf1 and do it, I'm not sure. If the other guy gets one touch your team is hosed. It would be a cool team but I think it would be hard for it to compete with the likes of vergil/zero's bullshit.

He doesn't have to.
Death Loop relies on Snapbacks.
And thanks to Bon Voyage, he can always corner carry to ensure the best entry mix-up conditions.
Also, an optimal team for that would be Firebrand/Morrigan/Dante.
So even if you failed, you;d have a very, very strong shell to go with.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

JamMasterJim posted:

Focus Attack does not reach that high

Pretty sure there are team setups that make it work, like with viper+dorm you can get a hit, do a ridiculous combo that ends in super to kill them, dhc into the orb super, then raw tag back to set up a focus attack and repeat.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, would anyone like to take up the helm and organize a tournament night again? I would do it myself, but my schedule makes it so that I wouldn't be able to consistently host, but I would like to have a weekly game night again.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

Pretty sure there are team setups that make it work, like with viper+dorm you can get a hit, do a ridiculous combo that ends in super to kill them, dhc into the orb super, then raw tag back to set up a focus attack and repeat.

Doesn't drew grimey set up viper unblockables just by using vajra assist to force the opponent down into the focus attack on incoming?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I'm streaming now, if anyone wants to watch me play poorly against someone else:

http://www.twitch.tv/dork_rex

Any advice on streaming/xsplit/making a nicer looking stream would be appreciated. Also, how to be less bad.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

You guys don't play anymore? I'm disappointed in all of you :colbert:

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Hate to say, but I play other games with better online communities. I just don't have the time to do a lot of meet ups in person.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Ybrik posted:

I think my local community is starting Marvel ranbats soon, so maybe I'll get back into it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

The Dark Wind posted:

Assuming someone had like Sako or Desk levels of execution and could consistently hit the Firebrand touch of death all the time, is there any reason Firebrand wouldn't be considered top tier? It sounds like in the hands of someone who has godlike levels of execution Firebrand is potentially a complete nightmare to deal with unless you counterpick with one of the few characters who can escape his ToD.

That's not necessary because MVC3 is a Fisher Price game where a 2 year old can sit down with the game for the first time and be doing Doom infinites on a standard Xbox controller after about 20 to 30 minutes of practice in training mode.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Minorities posted:

That's not necessary because MVC3 is a Fisher Price game where a 2 year old can sit down with the game for the first time and be doing Doom infinites on a standard Xbox controller after about 20 to 30 minutes of practice in training mode.

2(.5) reps of a corner loop that needs to be set up? You are a sorcerer of hyperbole, Sir.

Edit:
No one learns TAC infinites and executes consistently with one hour of play to go by.

I miss hype for high-level Marvel 2, but Ultimate is a really good game.

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 18, 2013

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Minorities posted:

2 year olds are better at this game than I am. :negative:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

kaujot posted:

2 year olds are better at this game than I am. :negative:

Ditto. For some reason, MvC3's combo system mystifies me and I do better executing in literally any other game I play. I mean, some poo poo is ridiculous-easy, like Nova simple fly combos, but ask me to call assists or do loops in a combo and I'm hosed.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Dias posted:

Ditto. For some reason, MvC3's combo system mystifies me and I do better executing in literally any other game I play. I mean, some poo poo is ridiculous-easy, like Nova simple fly combos, but ask me to call assists or do loops in a combo and I'm hosed.

What aspect of that is hard? Some assists make combos so easy it's not even necessary to learn solo loops (Wesker gunshot, I'm looking at you)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What aspect of that is hard? Some assists make combos so easy it's not even necessary to learn solo loops (Wesker gunshot, I'm looking at you)

Hard might be misleading, I just have trouble grasping the hitstun decay and OTG timing (especially with assists) for some reason. Not that I've put any significant amount of time on Marvel, but I had a much easier time with P4A, Melty and even Skullgirls. It's personal more than anything.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Ybrik posted:

i started playing 3S online lol

online :negative:

Acute Hepatitis fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 20, 2013

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Dias posted:

Hard might be misleading, I just have trouble grasping the hitstun decay and OTG timing (especially with assists) for some reason. Not that I've put any significant amount of time on Marvel, but I had a much easier time with P4A, Melty and even Skullgirls. It's personal more than anything.

I suck at Skull girls simply because you can cancel at any time. So the fact that I can't use the hit stun to buffer the cancel drives me nuts. (read: I mash).

I still can't do a god drat hyper grab loop after months of on and off practice. I can do all kinds of fun magnetic blast combos, but it all falls apart when I hit the corner and can't end it proper.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

itskage posted:

I still can't do a god drat hyper grab loop after months of on and off practice. I can do all kinds of fun magnetic blast combos, but it all falls apart when I hit the corner and can't end it proper.
Don't know what your team is but if you're set on playing Magneto still, you can pair him up with a character/characters that can follow up with something after using Shockwave to OTG. Spencer can do QCF super and OTG after, Vergil can do swords bullshit, or if you're using Doom missiles you can do Mag air combo, land, dash back+call Doom, Attraction (pulls other character into the missiles which OTGs), Hyper Grav -> Tempest.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Been trying to learn the Mags TAC infinite for shits and giggles (I can barely do fly loops and blast combos, but I'm bored and want to impress my friends) - drat do the pros make that poo poo look way easier than it is. By the second loop when I fly it seems that either Mags is too high to get the Ls after the unfly, or the opponent is too low and rolls out. It's a subtle balance and I suck at maintaining it (usually I do best when I'm not actively thinking about it, but that makes it hard to remember where I hosed up when it drops).

Any tips would be appreciated - also I've been trying to figure out the best/easiest character to practice this on - turns out big bodies are not necessarily easier for this particular combo - been getting best success with medium-tall (but narrow) characters like tasky and doom.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

It's really hard and there's a reason you can count on one hand the number of high placing tourney videos containing the Magneto TAC.

You have to do everything as fast as possible; any time the opponent gets "too low" means you did that poo poo slow, son.

It's so ambiguous what Magneto's BNB actually is. I hate magnetic blast motion and don't do that combo. I drop the fly, C, C..., stuff regularly.

I still fall back on day 1 vanilla [sj. C xx Dash, falling j.B, j.C] x2 a lot. I learned a fancy ender (doom missiles one posted above), and will get close to 1 mil dmg.

The magnetic blast crap is great for anti air (j.B owns), and I would learn it if I wanted to.

Tl;dr = the TAC is hard and you see it very rarely for a reason.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I don't know about that, we've got a local player who is good with magneto but not like anywhere close to rayray/joker/fanatiq and he does the up and down ones really consistently and said he didn't find it that hard so i'm inclined to think you're either terrible at execution or you're doing it wrong. I mean he does it like every other match.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I'd start wiggling the stick between up and down if i were your scene.

The left/right ones are way hard.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I just had a major breakthrough - the only part that requires a delay is the first fly - everything else (especially the unflys) need to be done very tight - I just got to 4 reps for the first time!

And yes, my execution does suck, I have no idea why I'm focusing on a TAC infinite I'll never use in a match other than... it's fun?

E: Got it up to 8 reps now, looks like Dorm is a good combo of big but not too big. Practicing on smaller bodies now but it's hard because they are often too high up for the H to connect.

Super Rad fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 26, 2013

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Can anyone give me advice on playing Team Nemo (Nova/Spencer/Strange)? I started using it for shits because I like strange a lot and basically I can poo poo out damage doing simple stuff but I don't know any cool tech or combos or really how to use the characters. Like for Spencer I don't have a real midscreen combo, and in the corner I just go

Ground series, Launch, air series, bionic bomber, MHS, Up grapple, Bionic Maneuvers, Tiger Knee Claw, Down grapple, M, Armor Piecer, Maneuvers.

Basically when I play Spencer I just call strange assist and grapple at peoples faces, I don't know what I'm doing and I look for free bionic arms.

I don't have a good Nova midscreen, I just do an air series and then Centurion arts into Spencer assist and do some more stuff. In the corner I do H a bunch and fly/unfly H.

When I play Nova I just call strange assist and dash around doing Dolphin kicks or jumping up and then dashing down real fast to do a low attack mixup. I try and crossup with H. This is the extent of how I play Nova.

My Strange is bad and I don't know the combos or how to do the cool Faltine loops. I teleport around and try to use Mystic Sword L when people are kind of close. I throw daggers and then teleport.

Please help me.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MnQ0ZZzHg

This is what you want for Spencer midscreen - it's easier than it looks.

Nova combos don't really matter, to tack on a bit more damage after the launch you can do M Hxxfly M H S which should almost always corner carry.

In the rare cases that it won't corner carry you can do M Hxxfly M Hxxqcb.M (delay) S which corner carrier no matter what BUT forces you to do the crazy Strange Faltines instead of easier Spencer stuff.

Once they're down from the S do f.H paired with Spencer slant grapple so you can do Sxxtk.qcb.H and hard tag into either Spencer or Strange.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Super Rad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MnQ0ZZzHg

This is what you want for Spencer midscreen - it's easier than it looks.
I'm inconsistent with getting the up grapple in this combo, so here's what I came up with instead:
c. LMH, UF zip, M, (land) jump up-forward MHS, forward zip, forward zip, down-forward zip, (land) jump up-forward MHS, forward zip, forward zip, down-forward zip, (land) S -> tiger knee up grapple

I saw Knives use it on a stream too but don't remember when it was, otherwise I'd link a video.

little fluffy muffy posted:

Can anyone give me advice on playing Team Nemo (Nova/Spencer/Strange)? I started using it for shits because I like strange a lot and basically I can poo poo out damage doing simple stuff but I don't know any cool tech or combos or really how to use the characters. Like for Spencer I don't have a real midscreen combo, and in the corner I just go

Ground series, Launch, air series, bionic bomber, MHS, Up grapple, Bionic Maneuvers, Tiger Knee Claw, Down grapple, M, Armor Piecer, Maneuvers.
One thing to improve on that combo is getting one more up grapple after the wall bounce. Instead of down grapple to Piercer, you can do zip down-forward, zip down-back, up grapple.

The zip loop in that video works well in the corner as well, particularly for building meter. For damage I do this:
c. LMH, UF zip, M, (land) S, up grapple, Bomber into the rest of the combo you already use.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

iPodschun posted:

One thing to improve on that combo is getting one more up grapple after the wall bounce. Instead of down grapple to Piercer, you can do zip down-forward, zip down-back, up grapple.

The zip loop in that video works well in the corner as well, particularly for building meter. For damage I do this:
c. LMH, UF zip, M, (land) S, up grapple, Bomber into the rest of the combo you already use.

To build on this, you should also be calling your Strange assist during one of those up-grapples to sneak yet another up-grapple in there. Bolts works best but I'm almost certain it can be done with Eye of Agamato too.

If you're using the ground-bounce centurion rush and somehow still have Nova alive, you can get yet another up-grapple out of that.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
I literally haven't been able to play since this game dropped. Is there a stupid amount of MUST HAVE DLC now?

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
Other than Ultimate? Nope, unless you love alt. costumes.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Well theres Jill and Shuma Gorath, assuming that by 'this game dropping' you mean Vanilla.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
And neither of them are 'Must Have' unless you like niche, mid tier characters.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
It's also unlikely that any additional DLC will ever be coming out.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
I just want my Magneto alt!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cuchulain posted:

It's also unlikely that any additional DLC will ever be coming out.

Or a balance patch for that matter. 10 years of Vergil coming up.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

TaurusOxford posted:

While I do think Vergil will remain near the top, I suspect that over time people will eventually start to properly react to and punish the random rapid slash. I also think Vergil players will start using devil trigger more often as players adjust to the somewhat predictable spiral swords mixups.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TaurusOxford posted:

They're balancing SF4 again, I wouldn't count Marvel out.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Capcom also owns the entirety of SF4 in assets and rights. MVC3 you have to drag another company into the thick of things.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Wozbo posted:

Capcom also owns the entirety of SF4 in assets and rights. MVC3 you have to drag another company into the thick of things.

Plus the UMvC3 team has been dissolved and is working on other things...

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
So I finally have the Magneto down TAC solid enough that I can show off to my buddies - now I've been practicing the Doom one(s)... holy poo poo those are harder.

For the most part I've been trying the buttergun infinite since it is easier execution-wise, but the timing on it is incredibly strict, the occasional times I land the full buttergun hits I'm just not mentally ready to follow up with the rapid L L M Mxxfly M. I've been trying to learn the l plasma beam infinite, but struggling with the speed of the inputs on that one.

Not really sure anyone will have any advice that will help but... yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Wozbo posted:

Not that it matters since it'll never get patched anyways, but would Capcom really have to ask for Marvel's permission to balance the characters?

• Locked thread