Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That looks like the key I have for my top-bag trunk thing on my KLR. I'll take pictures when I don't have a cat on my lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
If you could get a manufacturer or something that'd be cool. Here's one with higher contrast so you can see the M lock logo within the M key.

If there's a trunk hiding somewhere in this bike that we haven't managed to find yet it will be seriously impressive.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Halo_4am posted:

Odd question and maybe long odds of an answer. Friend of mine just go this used Roadliner that fell from the sky in perfect condition at a perfect price. It included 2 sets of 4 keys.

The ignition and accessory keys are different, and there's aftermarket bags that have their own key, and this:

We can't find what it goes to, and I'm unable to Google anything on it, the logo, etc. The only thing I found was this photo which is listed on some uni's lost and found with no info other than 'M key'. I have a hunch it's for a disc lock or something, but there's no disc lock installed or found on the bike (yet). Anybody know anything about this key/logo/etc?

So far all we have is the big M within an M and we're starting to wonder if the PO didn't just throw it in there to gently caress with the next buyer. We have no means of contacting the PO, but have sent along an e-mail address in case they feel inclined to get in touch.

Probably from a u-lock. U-locks work well as disc brake locks, but are more versatile/less specialized.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

alnilam posted:

Probably from a u-lock. U-locks work well as disc brake locks, but are more versatile/less specialized.

Yep. I was wrong. It doesn't belong to the trunk. I remember carrying around a key like this for a while, it either belongs to a disk lock or a U lock.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

alnilam posted:

Good call! Looks like this product specifically.

I wonder where the hell that is hiding... seems silly he would have included both keys for it and not included the lock somewhere.

:edit:
Well it looks like most OnGaurd products come with this key. M as in One (M)ean Lock! They also typically come with 5 keys. 4 of this style and 1 with a little LED flashlight on it. Maybe the lock is nowhere to be found and dude just gave 2 of his spare keys away with the bike.

Thanks guys. I'll let you know if we happen to find the lock these keys go to :)

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 24, 2013

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

obso posted:

It's a fancy air filter housing. They do a great job of sucking in rain.
A friend rides with one thanks to her bike's PO and hates it. We've been stranded in the rain twice because if the stupid thing. Can't switch it out cause the PO rejetted for the hypercharger and exhaust, so the OEM filter now runs far too rich.

To answer the question, a vacuum actuated valve opens and closes the intake based on throttle position. At high RPMs and open throttle, the thing opens wide and acts like a ram-air scoop. I doubt it really works like it's supposed to, since I've never had a bike to try with/without. The guys who use them swear they get a thousand more horsepowers and torques. But those guys say the same thing about chrome fender stays.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Ram-air tech works to squeeze the very last drop of power out, but it's well beyond the point of diminishing returns for cost/maint/life to effect. Guys that say they get a night and day difference are the same ones that claim a filter and exhaust gave them double the stock horsepower. It's a silly thing and only has any attraction to hardcore gear heads and drag racers working to shave 100th's of a second off their 1/4 mile times. Just about anything else will give less headaches for more performance.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I need to replace one footpeg on my R6 track bike. Are the cheap Chinese Ebay rearsets a better option than sticking with OEM pegs? I can't justify a $300 set of quality ones, but $160 seems like a fair compromise for now.

Something like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rearset-Rea...4cb3246&vxp=mtr

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I would say try to cruise R6-forum for some or your local (CMRA, WERA, etc.) forums for rearsets. There's probably some vortex ones kicking around somewhere for cheap.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
I've been looking into solutions for making my new-to-me bike's exhaust a little quieter. It came with Vance & Hines Cruzers and while they sound good, they are loud as poo poo. Cool for some, but not for me. I found some aftermarket baffles that go on in addition to the stockers, so I thought that sounded good. I went out to have a look to see how the installation might go, and realized that there are NO baffles in the pipes now. Well drat, no wonder its so loud.

Any idea if these can be bought separately? Looking at the V&H site just directs me to locate a dealer (which I'll likely do tomorrow).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It scares me that somewhere, on a dark cruiser forum, there's an alternate post where some guy buys a cruiser and he and the rest of the posters are taken aback that some idiot previous owner actually put baffles inside his straight through exhaust thus killing all the sound and endangering his life in the process.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
Eh, I like to live dangerously. I also refuse to wear half-helmets, I only ride with a full face! :wth:

Iswed
Jan 6, 2011

Ola posted:

Norway?

Malta. Government might also cut down the registration taxes for bikes smaller than 250cc so I'm more inclined in getting any bike, that's economical, bike enough and not poo poo to ride.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Looks just like the key to my bicycle cable locks, which are both bigger versions of the key for my disc lock.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
Anybody have experience with the Ignitech TCIP4? http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

I'm finally finishing up my '93 ducati's 944 hicomp build. I figured out my freeway plug fouling problem today (60 slow fuel jets are way too rich with 41FCRs) but I'm still getting some pinging at high load at WOT. I ordered some 165 mains but I'm wondering if the issue might not be timing related.

I retarded the timing 2 degrees to help it run better on our lovely 91 octane but even with the pickups at full retard (heh) it still pings a little.

So enter the TCIP4, for about $200 it replaces the stock fixed advance ignition units and might let me massage the advance curve enough to get rid of my ping. Sounds great, but the various Ducati forums have lots of dead units and the biggest vendor for FCRs doesn't carry it anymore for reliability reasons. Resistor plugs may solve the problem, but they may not.

Does anyone here have experience with one of these?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
How fool-proof are most ABS systems? Can you go down a gravel road and brake as hard as possible and not wash out? How about a paved road that just has a bunch of gravel in a patch?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

hayden. posted:

How fool-proof are most ABS systems? Can you go down a gravel road and brake as hard as possible and not wash out? How about a paved road that just has a bunch of gravel in a patch?

Odds are you're going to wash out on a gravel road anyway. :v:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Pretty foolproof, they ought to be able to handle your braking on any surface. That won't prevent you from washing out just from a turn, though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hayden. posted:

Depending on the exact system they may or may not work on loose gravel, ice, or other zero- or near-zero grip surfaces, and most won't work below a certain speed (about 5 mph), which is still fast enough to cause you severe problems if you lock up.

Basically they're designed to save you from a moment of madness when you grab a handful in the wrong conditions, not a cheat code that lets you break the laws of physics.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I turned it off on my R1100GS when I went down gravel roads. Otherwise it'd just ABS ABS ABS ABS when you're trying to brake gently.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bruinator posted:

Anybody have experience with the Ignitech TCIP4? http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

I'm finally finishing up my '93 ducati's 944 hicomp build. I figured out my freeway plug fouling problem today (60 slow fuel jets are way too rich with 41FCRs) but I'm still getting some pinging at high load at WOT. I ordered some 165 mains but I'm wondering if the issue might not be timing related.

I retarded the timing 2 degrees to help it run better on our lovely 91 octane but even with the pickups at full retard (heh) it still pings a little.

So enter the TCIP4, for about $200 it replaces the stock fixed advance ignition units and might let me massage the advance curve enough to get rid of my ping. Sounds great, but the various Ducati forums have lots of dead units and the biggest vendor for FCRs doesn't carry it anymore for reliability reasons. Resistor plugs may solve the problem, but they may not.

Does anyone here have experience with one of these?

Have you got the A/F dialed in yet? Sounds like no, so I'd fix the jetting first and the pinging will probably go away. You need either an A/F sensor or some quality time on a dyno.

Also it seems really absurd to buy something that has known reliability issues to solve an issue thats probably showing up because you dont have the tune right yet.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Pretty foolproof, they ought to be able to handle your braking on any surface. That won't prevent you from washing out just from a turn, though.

They tend to lose their minds in real low traction situations like full gravel/dirt, where part of the slowing involves dragging a tire or intermittent lock up.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I need to replace one footpeg on my R6 track bike. Are the cheap Chinese Ebay rearsets a better option than sticking with OEM pegs? I can't justify a $300 set of quality ones, but $160 seems like a fair compromise for now.

Something like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rearset-Rea...4cb3246&vxp=mtr

Rideit makes a nice looking rear set, it's over $200 though. I really like the levers and grips they sent me, they only have the rearsets for the '06-'10 R6 though.

http://www.rideitmoto.com/products.php?id=16

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are there any major differences between a KLX400 and a DRZ of the same year (2003)? I found one in good condition compared to a lot of the other dualsports in my area, and I think I'll jump on it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Why don't sportbikes have VVT and VCT yet?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Cause you're only meant to operate them in one range? I mean what for, other than bragging?

ed: I think the VFR had vtech?

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 26, 2013

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

goddamnedtwisto posted:

most won't work below a certain speed (about 5 mph)

I enjoyed the mental image of when you're at the end of a long stop, the ABS ejects itself while saying "welp cya" as soon as your speed is about to hit zero (and presumably about to have or are currently having an impact)

hayden. fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 26, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

The vfr did, it was nothing special

Deeters posted:

Are there any major differences between a KLX400 and a DRZ of the same year (2003)? I found one in good condition compared to a lot of the other dualsports in my area, and I think I'll jump on it.

A klx is literally a drz with green plastics. There are no differences.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I thought so, I was just wondering if there were random cosmetic parts that didn't fit for some reason.

And someone must have figured out that the craigslist ad was a good deal because it's already gone. :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The vfr did, it was nothing special

The 'vtec' in the VFR wasn't anything like car vtec, it was simply a system to shut off one in two intake valves for improved low-range pull IIRC.

I'd say for a sportbike the improved torque curve doesn't justify the extra weight, complexity and engine size.

I for one am surprised top-end supersports don't have GDI, it seems like an easy way to get a whole lot more power while staying within emissions regulations. Along with some sort of valvetronic throttle-less system. Again, most of this stuff doesn't scale down very well and would be pretty heavy by bike standards which is probably the main concern, along with cost.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
My viffer has Vtec, I don't know that it adds power, but it has a nice "Thunk" when it engages. I get this whole :rice: Vtec's kickin in yo! feeling when I hit 7k RPMs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The ZX14/Concours has VVT as well.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
VTEC/VVTi etc are so you can keep low end torque and get more top end horsepower. In a bike you can build straight for horsepower and just slip the clutch more at the low end. The power/weight ratios are also much more forgiving, and you can futz with the gear ratios to get more than enough oomph at both ends. The systems add weight and complexity without really being necessary.

I can see it in the bigger engined sport tourers where weight is less of an issue and having that fat low end with good economy can be a deal sealer to the target audience.

There's also a lot of engineering inertia in the motorbike industry. Hell, I think if it wasn't for emission law changes we'd still be seeing new designs with carbs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

VTEC/VVTi etc are so you can keep low end torque and get more top end horsepower. In a bike you can build straight for horsepower and just slip the clutch more at the low end. The power/weight ratios are also much more forgiving, and you can futz with the gear ratios to get more than enough oomph at both ends. The systems add weight and complexity without really being necessary.

I can see it in the bigger engined sport tourers where weight is less of an issue and having that fat low end with good economy can be a deal sealer to the target audience.

There's also a lot of engineering inertia in the motorbike industry. Hell, I think if it wasn't for emission law changes we'd still be seeing new designs with carbs.

Current cb600 hornet has carbs, astonishingly. Yamaha's first 4-stroke GP bike had carbs too.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

BlackMK4 posted:

There are some rpm limitations on that equipment. But really? Do you need MORE torque on a machine geared for 100mph in first gear?

I bet we'll see VCT from bmw on their touring bikes. Soon.

Slavvy posted:

Current cb600 hornet has carbs, astonishingly. Yamaha's first 4-stroke GP bike had carbs too.

There's nothing wrong with carbs. In fact, they do some things better than EFI.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nerobro posted:

There are some rpm limitations on that equipment. But really? Do you need MORE torque on a machine geared for 100mph in first gear?

I bet we'll see VCT from bmw on their touring bikes. Soon.

There's nothing wrong with carbs. In fact, they do some things better than EFI.

Aside from having a simpler feed system, what do they do better than efi...? Honestly curious because carbs seem to have no redeeming qualities as far as I'm aware, beyond the backyard mechanic supposed simplicity etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Aside from having a simpler feed system, what do they do better than efi...? Honestly curious because carbs seem to have no redeeming qualities as far as I'm aware, beyond the backyard mechanic supposed simplicity etc.

Throttle response, for one. Modern fuel injection on bikes is pretty drat good, but the immediacy of a nice carb thats tuned well is something to behold.

A rack of FCR flatslides that are set up right is really tough to beat.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Carbs at the upper echelon of the carb world are still updated.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 26, 2013

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Carbied bikes are presumably better at being bump started surely? I couldn't get my 675 started with a flat battery at all, didn't really take any effort to bump start my ninja though.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Slavvy posted:

They don't do anything better than EFI. They're fairly simply and rudimentary, and are good at flowing a lot of fuel at WOT, but in every measurable capacity, they're inferior to EFI. Adjusting your carb with a flathead screwdriver is more comfortable to some people than an ECU metering out fuel flow, but it's definitely not superior.

Fuel delivery, throttle response, mpg, etc are all vastly superior with EFI.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

theperminator posted:

Carbied bikes are presumably better at being bump started surely? I couldn't get my 675 started with a flat battery at all, didn't really take any effort to bump start my ninja though.
The stupid 675 computer won't even crank the starter at anything under 11.6v. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ThatCguy posted:

They don't do anything better than EFI. They're fairly simply and rudimentary, and are good at flowing a lot of fuel at WOT, but in every measurable capacity, they're inferior to EFI. Adjusting your carb with a flathead screwdriver is more comfortable to some people than an ECU metering out fuel flow, but it's definitely not superior.

Fuel delivery, throttle response, mpg, etc are all vastly superior with EFI.

I know, I wanted to see what he could come up with :)