Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

IRQ posted:

Wasn't Myrath just straight up Symphony X worship?

Yeah, pretty much. They're the only signed metal band from Tunisia, though, which is cool. I like the occasional Arabic choruses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9V-AxS2kao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Not a clue on Fates Warning openers.

So I just moved to DC...well DC area. I live really close to the Fillmore (I'll be at Metal Alliance and Death to All!). I'll be at a handful of other shows between here, Baltimore and Philly. I'm unemployed and I only know two people in the city.

Any cool people want to meet for a drink or a coffee? Or high five at a show?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

IRQ posted:

But the horrible DC traffic makes it so you just miss the crummy opening bands, it's perfect!

Wasn't Myrath just straight up Symphony X worship?

Desert Call has very strong Symphony X like vibes, but they pull it off really well. They really move into their own sound with Tales of the Sands (which is a great album as well) though.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
So Therion released a music video to a 15-minute cut of Adulruna Rediviva and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dCLnGCcya4

I know this is a Therion music video we're talking about but STILL :psyduck:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

ChickenArise posted:

I figure a lot of commuters can't make it to weeknight shows, so a lot of bands/organizers think DC sucks and just pass it over.
I hadn't thought of that, but it's a very good point, there's a lot of shows I've bypassed because I don't want to deal with traffic. Even the Death show I'll be working from home for just because I don't want to deal with going from Herndon to Silver Spring at rush hour.

thepitgoddess posted:

So I just moved to DC...well DC area. I live really close to the Fillmore (I'll be at Metal Alliance and Death to All!). I'll be at a handful of other shows between here, Baltimore and Philly. I'm unemployed and I only know two people in the city.

Any cool people want to meet for a drink or a coffee? Or high five at a show?
I'm in Silver Spring and just bought tickets to the Death show a few days ago, feel free to PM/IM me.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Coulrophobia posted:

It's pretty cool Therion was commissioned to score a recruitment infomercial for Steampunk-Mallgoth State University. Home of the fighting Absinthe Decanters.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy gently caress that video makes me so angry. All I can picture is a bunch of fat shits in dragon shirts thinking "omg this is so epic dude!". gently caress that genre of metal.

In other news new Six Feet Under has a new album and it sounds a little different than their usual ouput, at least to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxeFmLXcXpw

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Whenever Six Feet Under's mentioned it always reminds me of one of the greatest Anal oval office lines: You got kicked out of Cannibal Corpse because you suck/You started Six Feet Under and they suck too

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It does sound different. It's not an AC/DC or Deep Purple Cover.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQDaWoWwqdM

Another new Ghost song. I am from Maryland as well, Conowingo to be exact so I'm about an hour away from Baltimore.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Does Ghost even qualify as metal? This poo poo sounds like Alt Rock vocals pasted over The Munsters theme song.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Vintersorg posted:

Holy gently caress that video makes me so angry. All I can picture is a bunch of fat shits in dragon shirts thinking "omg this is so epic dude!". gently caress that genre of metal.

Ah yes, I much prefer the original fashion stylings of Varg et al. Seems like there's more hate on SA for modern symphonic than any other kind of new(ish) metal. Is it because they're more likely to look like White Wolf cosplayers or am I just missing the true cvltness of the black metal thread?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Coulrophobia posted:

That Steampunk Arcanum must have done wonders in reversing Ghaal's age.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I never thought a blimp could make me so sad.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Haggins posted:

Does Ghost even qualify as metal? This poo poo sounds like Alt Rock vocals pasted over The Munsters theme song.

That's basically what I've always thought but I guess metal = satan = ghost therefore metal = ghost or something

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Ah yes, I much prefer the original fashion stylings of Varg et al. Seems like there's more hate on SA for modern symphonic than any other kind of new(ish) metal. Is it because they're more likely to look like White Wolf cosplayers or am I just missing the true cvltness of the black metal thread?

Therion's been active since '88 so I really hope people aren't categorizing them as some kind of "trendy" band. Even then, I don't really get the symphonic hate either. The fans can be a little goofball but then again I'm not sure what makes a kid wearing a three-wolf-moon shirt worse than a kid wearing a bunch of upside down crosses.

I love Therion, they just make really goofy music videos.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Haggins posted:

Yeah I don't really get all the praise Ghost gets either. I really am not a fan at all.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Anytime someone talks about Ghost I just tell them to listen to Jess and the Ancient Ones instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hgWxb1bXkE

Interesting note is the guy guitarist is the guy from Demilich

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 25, 2013

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Haggins posted:

I don't know, I try to imagine them as a metal band int the 70s attempting to sound "satanic". I enjoyed their first album and saw them in concert, but from what I hear of their new one, I am no longer impressed.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Haggins posted:

I like to refer to Ghost as proto-metal. It's pretty much just classic rock from a time before Sabbath, but if you listen closely to similar artists (Coven, Witchcraft etc) from the actual era, it has that same sound of being almost heavy and dark enough to be metal, but still being trapped in 60s-70s psychedelia.

On the subject of Therion, that video is ridiculous and unnecessary, but the song in itself (and that whole album, actually) is pretty solid. I can get why people don't like the over the top bombast, but I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for them since they were one of the first metal bands I ever heard.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Who needs Ghost when this album exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIE0wTFg364

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Saw Ghost and Gojira last night. Gojira, like when I saw them before were absolutely crushing. So much energy and their drummer, Mario is extremely talented and stole the show. Him and the vocalist swapped places for a short song which was pretty cool.

I had mixed feelings about Ghost. I really like the first album, but seeing it live didnt blow me away. All of the instruments, and the vocals were just a little bit too loud and took away that chilled and deliberate sound they have in the studio version. The stage was pretty much constantly covered in smoke though, which made the silhouettes of the 'ghouls' milling around and playing their instruments look pretty damned spooky. I did overhear a few people commenting that they were poo poo, and one of my fellow concert-goers who had never heard them said he was bored to tears.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Wyzt posted:

Anytime someone talks about Ghost I just tell them to listen to Jess and the Ancient Ones instead.

I just got their first album and I"m really digging it. Reminds me a little bit of Slingblade which I also like a lot.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So Colin Richardson apparently got burnt out during the mixing process of the new Carcass album, Surgical Steel. They called in Andy Sneap to finish the mix. I have some extremely conflicted feelings about this entire thing. First, do we need a new Carcass album? Second, I really dislike Andy Sneap's production style and think it won't mesh with the Carcass sound at all. Of course, Swansong was terrible, so maybe it won't really matter. I think I'm just tired of bands reforming and putting out terrible stuff because nostalgia sells.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Swansong was only bad if you liked pre-Heartwork Carcass, which I couldn't get into. I like swansong :colbert:
But I agree that old bands should just leave well enough alone and tour on what they've got, if they insist on reforming. I'll take most old bands replaying their catalog to death over most new bands anyway.

My faux Bolt Thrower shirt came this weekend and it's decent looking. Doesn't look or feel cheap. I'd feel bad if Bolt Thrower didn't go out of their way to avoid selling anything, but they do, so I don't.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 25, 2013

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I searched and didn't see anything mentioned about King Parrot, but they're a new-ish grind band from Australia. I just picked up Bite Your Head Off, and it's pretty sweet. I can't really think of an apt comparison as I'm not terribly familiar with grind. The record is really fun, great riffs, and the vocalist is a loving nut.

Skip to about 2:15 in this video to go right to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinvIr-O1k8

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

Wyzt posted:

Just listened through their album. It's pretty good, even though it just felt like another Blood Ceremony/The Devil's Blood/Jex Thoth album or something.

Spinal Pap fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 25, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Radio Paranoia posted:

I like to refer to Ghost as proto-metal. It's pretty much just classic rock from a time before Sabbath, but if you listen closely to similar artists (Coven, Witchcraft etc) from the actual era, it has that same sound of being almost heavy and dark enough to be metal, but still being trapped in 60s-70s psychedelia.

The problem with all of these newfangled occult/vest/whatever lame term we're calling it this week metal is common to the other nostalgia trends in that they're studied approximations far removed from the original context of the source material, and as a function of that they always miss the mark in one way or another. I'm still confused as to why it's preferable to mimic as closely as possible something from ages ago rather than incorporate it into something new. Over reliance on nostalgia is a big sign of a dying culture.

Spinal Pap posted:

Just listened through their album. It's pretty good, even though it just felt like another Blood Ceremony/The Devil's Blood/Jex Thoth album or something.

Yeah, it's reducing something of its time into a formula for easy replication.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Pathfinder's vocalist is gone, insert epic sad face here.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Oldstench posted:

The new Sinistrous Diabolus is available now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVINOkc0nJE

US distros stocking it:

The Basar NA
Contagion Releasing (down right now)
Dark Descent Records

It's loving sick.

Quoting myself because this album is really good.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Wyzt posted:

Astral Sabbat's a good song and all, but the real point of that EP is really this song.
Seriously, I already loved JaTAO to bits since their debut album, but this loving song just knocks it all WAY out of the park. The way it just takes off around the 10 minute mark, and then again after the solos... loving hell it gives me such a raging ear-boner the likes of which I haven't had in years.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Whenever I hear Ghost I enjoy them well enough as a fun gimmick (like a too straight-faced Blue Öyster Cult or something) but I never find myself wanting to listen to them. I've seen them live twice at festivals and they are talented performers no doubt but their music doesn't click at all in a live setting for me or anyone I go to festivals with really.

I'll take Blue Öyster Cult over Ghost any day.

Also regarding the Therion video: It's like watching a Rhapsody video except it just never ends.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

mfny posted:

Pathfinder's vocalist is gone, insert epic sad face here.

Whoever replaces him better be able to hit those falsettos because drat, Szymon hit some absurdly high notes.

Anyone else looking forward to Timo Tolkki's Avalon? Russel Allen, Derek Sherinian, Tony Kakko -- it's basically his version of Tobias Sammet's metal opera, which I am A-ok with if it's anywhere near as good as Avantasia.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guzwar posted:

Whoever replaces him better be able to hit those falsettos because drat, Szymon hit some absurdly high notes.

Anyone else looking forward to Timo Tolkki's Avalon? Russel Allen, Derek Sherinian, Tony Kakko -- it's basically his version of Tobias Sammet's metal opera, which I am A-ok with if it's anywhere near as good as Avantasia.

I don't know how Russell Allen and Tony Kakko could possibly fit in the same band but, uh, ok. Then again, Russell Allen has made me very wary of his judgment in side projects (and hats) lately.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
It's a metal opera (hence the Avantasia comparison), they're both guest vocalists, so he might still have a stupid hat. I don't expect it will be as enjoyable as Avantasia, as I think Tolkki's too much of a curmudgeon to carry a silly concept as well as Tobi does. But maybe that's just down to me finding most of Tolkki's work insufferably boring and flighty. Stratovarius is just one of those bands whose status I never understood.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Velocirocktor posted:

It's a metal opera (hence the Avantasia comparison), they're both guest vocalists, so he might still have a stupid hat. I don't expect it will be as enjoyable as Avantasia, as I think Tolkki's too much of a curmudgeon to carry a silly concept as well as Tobi does. But maybe that's just down to me finding most of Tolkki's work insufferably boring and flighty. Stratovarius is just one of those bands whose status I never understood.

I never did like Stratovarius either, it's just a little too wrote or by the numbers or something.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Guzwar posted:

Well there's one song out already and it's goddamn boring as all hell. Well crafted, sure, but just so immensely bland and mediocre.
Much like that Elize Ryd woman singing it, in other words. :rimshot:
Seriously though, what the hell is it with that chick suddenly being everywhere? She's not really a bad singer, she just sounds exactly like just about every single run-of-the-mill pop starlet out there.

Anyways, the video track off the latest Avantasia is really loving lame as well, eventhough the album itself is a lot better. So maybe there's a slim chance this Avalon thing won't be horribly insipid. I'm not holding my breath though, especially since I have very little respect for Tolkki whereas I do have a huge buddy-crush for Tobias Sammet.

EDIT: I've listened to Jess and The Ancient Ones - More Than Living for an obscene amount of times today and for gently caress's sake I'm running out of hyperlatives here, there's just no loving sense in how bloody amazing this song is. It's quite literally, no hyperbole, the single best goddamn song I have heard in YEARS.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 26, 2013

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nordick posted:

EDIT: I've listened to Jess and The Ancient Ones - More Than Living for an obscene amount of times today and for gently caress's sake I'm running out of hyperlatives here, there's just no loving sense in how bloody amazing this song is. It's quite literally, no hyperbole, the single best goddamn song I have heard in YEARS.

I went through a period where I couldn't stop listening to Sulphur Giants off of their first album, something about this woman's voice is so mesmerizing. I had no idea they had new material out, this is good poo poo.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Blodsvept is out on Spotify. I like it.

http://open.spotify.com/track/6Ulo28gX2AbbodwbM1VbWd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Yeah, Blodsvept is not bad. Lots of Jaktens Tid, Nattfodd, and Visor Om Slutet in there, and Vreth has managed to encompass the vocal stylings of the former vocalists, as well. He finally sounds like a proper troll.

Wonder where I could find something else like Visor Om Slutet. I mean, it's acoustic, so it's really just a folk album. It's got a cool atmosphere, though.

e: First track reminded me of Helvete. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9detoHU-cMk

Great Horny Toads! fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 26, 2013