Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tunicate posted:

There's a quote from Jim on the official forums that rules it out.

Really? I assume it from a post-Cold Days statement, link please? Only thing I recall about the Blackstaff is that the original owner wants it back very very badly, and that came from a Changes interview.

Personally I am more than happy if that is the case, it makes the universe larger with more factions instead of so Winter heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Here's a cool fan art I posted in the thread for it in PYF:

There's more where that came from in that thread.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Really? I assume it from a post-Cold Days statement, link please? Only thing I recall about the Blackstaff is that the original owner wants it back very very badly, and that came from a Changes interview.

Personally I am more than happy if that is the case, it makes the universe larger with more factions instead of so Winter heavy.

Okay, it was a signing question. Jim told him that if the fan wanted to figure the blackstaff out, to look at Celtic lore around 1065 AD.

That kind of implies that it isn't something made out of whole cloth.

Fanspec puts it as the staff of Dagda
"This great staff that thou seest,’ said he, ‘has a smooth end and a rough end. One end slays the living, and the other end brings the dead to life.’"

In myth it was loaned away by the original owner. And by loaned I mean stolen.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Thunderfinger posted:

Here's a cool fan art I posted in the thread for it in PYF:

There's more where that came from in that thread.

That's in the Dresden RPG book so if it's fan art it's kind of become semi-official!

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

The Rook appears to be 99p on the UK amazon store for Kindle, which is weird.
That is the correct book right?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Awia posted:

The Rook appears to be 99p on the UK amazon store for Kindle, which is weird.
That is the correct book right?

That's it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ConfusedUs posted:

It's action packed and bloody as hell, but we, the reader, have no loving clue what's going on for far too long.

This sounds like the Malazan Book of the Fallen which turned out to be an amazing story. It's just so god drat confusing starting out.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Virigoth posted:

This sounds like the Malazan Book of the Fallen which turned out to be an amazing story. It's just so god drat confusing starting out.

Be fair, we still don't know most of the answers at the end of the Malazan series!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Masonity posted:

Be fair, we still don't know most of the answers at the end of the Malazan series!

Just thinking about it makes me want to start a re-read. I've only been through it once.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Virigoth posted:

Just thinking about it makes me want to start a re-read. I've only been through it once.

Then you probably don't know the questions, let alone the answers! Read the first book in the new trilogy first though if you haven't already. Adds a new twist to everything.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Is Malazan-chat going to takeover every Scifi/Fantasy thread in TBB?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Ornamented Death posted:

Is Malazan-chat going to takeover every Scifi/Fantasy thread in TBB?

Eventually, yeah probably.

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Okay, it was a signing question. Jim told him that if the fan wanted to figure the blackstaff out, to look at Celtic lore around 1065 AD.

After reading the Iron Druid stuff, I really hope he doesn't bring in the Celtic deities. Butcher would handle the subject better, but I just don't want to imagine it.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

After reading the Iron Druid stuff, I really hope he doesn't bring in the Celtic deities. Butcher would handle the subject better, but I just don't want to imagine it.

The Morrigan is one of the few things I like about Iron Druid, other than the extremely rough sex that Atticus receives from her (my objection is that Atticus gets to casually gently caress deities). I'd rather read more about the Morrigan and Atticus going to sporting events than what is actually supposed to matter in that series. Dresden would refuse the sex and largely remove the gooniest part of the Iron Druid's treatment of deities.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

er, he kinda already did.

Cat Sith
Mouse
Jenny Greenteeth
Lea
The Redcaps

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

TenaciousJ posted:

The Morrigan is one of the few things I like about Iron Druid, other than the extremely rough sex that Atticus receives from her (my objection is that Atticus gets to casually gently caress deities). I'd rather read more about the Morrigan and Atticus going to sporting events than what is actually supposed to matter in that series. Dresden would refuse the sex and largely remove the gooniest part of the Iron Druid's treatment of deities.

To be fair, Atticus is a bit of a mythic character, being the last Druid and all. But yeah, it is kinda odd how he just casually rolls around bangin everybody.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I was looking through some of those and I didn't actually know that Mab was a thing. I thought that she was made up for this series. I didn't think she went all the way back to Shakespeare.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mouse is a Foo-dog. He's not even remotely Celtic.

From the reddit AMA:

quote:

Q:Is mouse a Foo dog or a Temple dog? My understanding is that Foo dogs are Tibetan celestial beings, and Temple dogs are Foo dogs crossed with mortal canines (possibly multiple generations removed).

You, at one point, referred to mouse as a Temple dog, but Ancient Mai at one point in Turn Coat exclaims something like "That is a Foo Dog. Where did you get it!?". Could you clarify?

A: You're splitting hairs, here. They're the same thing (for every practical purpose). A Foo Dog is a celestial being which chooses to give up its divinity (and immortality) to serve and protect in the mortal world. Part of being mortal is having offspring, who share in their progenitor's power.

quote:

Q:This question contains a spoiler for my favorite character, Harry's badass best friend Mouse, so be warned.

Will Mouse continue to operate at Foo dog level now that he's guarding Maggie? When he faced down Lea in Mexico she said that he was far from his place of power, but he replied that he cheated by living with a wizard. Does that mean he needs to live with a full-fledged wizard or just someone with wizard talent? Obviously he'd still be a giant killing machine with a snarky personality, but I worry that he might try to bite off more than he can chew if he loses the Superdog status.

A: Here's something I'm not sure will ever make the books: Mouse draws the fundaments of his power from a house's threshold. Weaker at the Carpenters'? Ye gods and little fishes, he went from Thing to Hulk when he moved in to protect Maggie. But, having grown up with a wizard who regards conventions as things to mourn as they are shattered into little pieces, and to speak nicely about in retrospect, he's learned to use other kinds of power, too.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Mouse is a Foo-dog. He's not even remotely Celtic.

From the reddit AMA:
I meant more that butcher probably used the Cù Sìth as a template on what powers Mouse might have. Cu Sith has a warning bark(admittedly more of a deathknell), Mouse has a bark that wakes an entire apartment complex. doesn't really explain the bit with the blue motes though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Cù Sìth is probably where he drew inspiration for how Mouse looks too, since Foo/Temple dogs would look like something between a Chau and the statues in front of temples.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

mikeycp posted:

Cù Sìth is probably where he drew inspiration for how Mouse looks too, since Foo/Temple dogs would look like something between a Chau and the statues in front of temples.

Pretty sure he bases that off the Tibetan Mastiff.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

SerSpook posted:

Pretty sure he bases that off the Tibetan Mastiff.

Or that. I didn't know that breed existed. Talk about fluffy dogs, holy poo poo.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

mikeycp posted:

Or that. I didn't know that breed existed. Talk about fluffy dogs, holy poo poo.

A friend's parents-in-law breed them. They're awesome dogs.

I thought Mouse was more of a Caucasian Mountain Dog, although for some reason I was always picturing him as an Irish Wolfhound up until book 8 or so.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

AlphaDog posted:

I thought Mouse was more of a Caucasian Mountain Dog
No way, he has rhythm and can dance.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

mikeycp posted:

I always pictured Mouse exactly like that. The big fluffy coat from a Tibetan Mastiff or Chow Chow, but with the broad muscular build and pug face that you see in shishi.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
My mental picture of Mouse looks a lot like this:

What a cute little puppy.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

Raygereio posted:

My mental picture of Mouse looks a lot like this:

What a cute little puppy.

That thing is almost what I imagine the Loup Garou to look like... You know loving terrifying.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I always pictured him as Scooby Doo. :shobon:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I picture him like a dog version of Appa (from TLA).

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Silento posted:

I picture him like a dog version of Appa (from TLA).

That kinda makes sense only because I had the same emotional reaction to Harry meeting Mouse in Ghost Story as when Aang found Appa after he went missing. Mouse with those big flat teeth is a ridiculous image though.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So I found this pointed out somewhere else, but I thought it really interesting.

Harry's father died of unnatural causes according to the demon in Grave Peril. While Chauncy may have been lying, let's just assume he's not. In the same book, Harry makes mention of the fact that just before his father's death he started having nightmares. Harry also experiences bizarre dreams a couple others times in the series, most notably in Dead Beat when he encounters his father again (I've seen speculation on the Butcher forums that the forest this one takes place in might even be an early introduction to Demonreach).

Another weird one is in Death Masks. This is before he gets Lash's coin and a woman that he recognizes but can't quite place seems to dispel nightmares that involve Elaine and the Denarians, then tells him to rest. You also have the meetings with his own subconscious in Fool Moon.

Not sure if Harry's dreams have any real significance, but it's not like we're getting a new book until late in the year at the earliest.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

SerSpook posted:

So I found this pointed out somewhere else, but I thought it really interesting.

Harry's father died of unnatural causes according to the demon in Grave Peril. While Chauncy may have been lying, let's just assume he's not. In the same book, Harry makes mention of the fact that just before his father's death he started having nightmares. Harry also experiences bizarre dreams a couple others times in the series, most notably in Dead Beat when he encounters his father again (I've seen speculation on the Butcher forums that the forest this one takes place in might even be an early introduction to Demonreach).

Another weird one is in Death Masks. This is before he gets Lash's coin and a woman that he recognizes but can't quite place seems to dispel nightmares that involve Elaine and the Denarians, then tells him to rest. You also have the meetings with his own subconscious in Fool Moon.

Not sure if Harry's dreams have any real significance, but it's not like we're getting a new book until late in the year at the earliest.

Like you said, there's lots of dream stuff throughout, but it's often semi-throwaway stuff. I'd say we'll see some sort of dreamscape / dreamlands thing eventually. The Outsiders are pretty Lovecraftian, and the Dreamlands was a big thing with Lovecraft.

Maybe you can dream yourself into the far parts of the nevernever and that's why it's hard to get to them. Maybe you can even dream yourself Outside, if you're good enough.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

AlphaDog posted:

Like you said, there's lots of dream stuff throughout, but it's often semi-throwaway stuff. I'd say we'll see some sort of dreamscape / dreamlands thing eventually. The Outsiders are pretty Lovecraftian, and the Dreamlands was a big thing with Lovecraft.

Maybe you can dream yourself into the far parts of the nevernever and that's why it's hard to get to them. Maybe you can even dream yourself Outside, if you're good enough.

I don't know if dreaming yourself Outside is possible really. The very base aspect of the Outsiders is that they are outside of our comprehension in terms of everything that we know dreaming included, look how they are not really affected by magic in the traditional sense. They may not even dream, hell they may not even sleep. I think entering their realm using a distinctly mortal manner is highly unlikely. But then I really don't know enough about them to say anything definitively, other than maybe that they are giant assholes.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I did kinda put that wrong.

Maybe Harry can dream himself Outside.

Deadbeat
Apr 8, 2003

SerSpook posted:

Not sure if Harry's dreams have any real significance

AlphaDog posted:

Like you said, there's lots of dream stuff throughout, but it's often semi-throwaway stuff.

I don't know WTF is goin on with Harry's dreams, but if there is one thing I've learned from the series is that everything is significant. ;)

It's part of the reason why I think there's no way Harry's dad is 100% vanilla mortal. Besides the tidbits we've gleaned, a Malcolm reveal is too good of a potential plot twist which is probably why Butcher has kept the character so low-key. When we find out why Malcolm was special, we might learn why Harry is so special.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Deadbeat posted:

I don't know WTF is goin on with Harry's dreams, but if there is one thing I've learned from the series is that everything is significant. ;)

It's part of the reason why I think there's no way Harry's dad is 100% vanilla mortal. Besides the tidbits we've gleaned, a Malcolm reveal is too good of a potential plot twist which is probably why Butcher has kept the character so low-key. When we find out why Malcolm was special, we might learn why Harry is so special.

Malcolm is only special if he is normal, and the last thing Harry needs is more of a special background considering who his mother and grandfather are. And the starborn stuff. And the vampire half-brother.

Milking more out of his lineage would be terrible. Malcolm matters because he is a goofy stage magician who named his son after Houdini, Copperfield and Blackstone and a good man. More than that would dilute things like the Ebenezzer reveal.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Zore posted:

Malcolm is only special if he is normal, and the last thing Harry needs is more of a special background considering who his mother and grandfather are. And the starborn stuff. And the vampire half-brother.

Milking more out of his lineage would be terrible. Malcolm matters because he is a goofy stage magician who named his son after Houdini, Copperfield and Blackstone and a good man. More than that would dilute things like the Ebenezzer reveal.

I agree with this, though I absolutely believe Malcolm Dresden is one of the spirits/souls that helps Uriel, much like Murphy's father. It fits who he's been presented as and doesn't really make Harry more special, while still allowing him to have significance to the plot. It especially fits with the dream in Dead Beat, unless Malcolm was just Uriel adopting a guise or maybe Lash being particularly sneaky.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

AlphaDog posted:

I did kinda put that wrong.

Maybe Harry can dream himself Outside.

That I am much more inclined to believe as a possibility seeing as he is connected to Outsiders in some way. But I'm not sure that would work with what we have seen so far of Harry's talents but who knows what might happen in the next few books.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
Hey, so thanks to all the folks that brought up Greywalker. I'm digging the audiobook. It's read by the voice of Moltov Cocktease/Sally Impossible, so even though parts of it are kinda slow her reading it makes it pretty entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

KellHound posted:

Hey, so thanks to all the folks that brought up Greywalker. I'm digging the audiobook. It's read by the voice of Moltov Cocktease/Sally Impossible, so even though parts of it are kinda slow her reading it makes it pretty entertaining.

Hm, I am sitting on a couple credits until my 3 Cheap Months are up...

• Locked thread