Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

ibntumart posted:

(She also made my worst comedy show fear come true in that she honed in on me and my wife to ask questions, but she was actually nice... the guy after me wasn't quite as lucky, but whatever, she was cool to me and my wife, so fear negated!).

That's my worst fear. When I saw Todd Barry, he did it to the woman directly behind me and at first I thought he was talking to me and I turned as red as a tomato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

The Berzerker posted:

That's my worst fear. When I saw Todd Barry, he did it to the woman directly behind me and at first I thought he was talking to me and I turned as red as a tomato.

It's my worst fear too. When I saw Patton Oswalt, he literally pointed to a guy sitting next to me. I was front row center. And John Mulaney constantly made eye contact with me (probably because I was laughing at all his jokes before he got to the punchlines, because I was familiar with a lot of them.)

Also, I finally heard Jeselnik's Caligula uncut and it has about 10 minutes of extra material that is fantastic.

"People always tell me that the worst thing about air travel is an infant on the plane...

But I can think of four instances when a baby on a plane was awesome.

They all happened on 9/11."

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Bill Burr canceled his shows at the Largo this weekend. :( Super bummed.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ibntumart posted:

Today was the last day of SF Sketchfest and I was wondering if any other Goons went to any of the events. It would be cool to share impressions and maybe give each other ideas what to see next year (or to avoid, I guess!).

On my part, I only went to two shows this year, Crash Test and Hail to the King, Baby (this was a Q&A with Bruce Campbell, moderated by Patton Oswalt, followed by a screening of Army of Darkness).

Crash Test Dummies was a lot of fun. The format was Rob Huebel and Paul Scheer interacting with the audience and doing short bits, with comedians coming out to do stand-up in-between. All the Huebel and Scheer parts were fun(especially the end to Scheer's disturbing Sebulba dance). I'd never seen Greg Behrendt perform before and liked it, but I have no idea if this was new material or not. Natasha Leggero was good; I'd heard some of the bits before, but she did new stuff, too, and she did riff a bit. (She also made my worst comedy show fear come true in that she honed in on me and my wife to ask questions, but she was actually nice... the guy after me wasn't quite as lucky, but whatever, she was cool to me and my wife, so fear negated!). Chelsea Peretti was supposed to perform as well, but couldn't make it, so Jamie Lee stepped in. She was decent, but I have to admit I didn't care much for the some of the material. (My wife had a more visceral reaction to the first half of her set.)

There were some assholes who had had too much to drink, plus one lady who was embarrasingly high in the front row (Scheer shut her up by having her taste test some Boogers candies). Scheer and Huebel ragged on them a bit and Leggero repurposed her tassled rape whistle into a drunken idiots shut up whistle.

Anyway, fun show and if they bring it to SF again, I would probably see if I could fit the show into my schedule.

Hail to the King, Baby was awesome, in no small part because my wife and I sprung for the extra meet and greet option. Bruce Campbell was really friendly and disarming to the folks lining up for autographs. I brought my Brisco County, Jr. DVD insert and he seemed really happy to see a Brisco fan. He started telling me a story and one of the staff had to cut it short and move the line along, which was too bad because I wanted to hear the man tell me Brisco stories, goddamnit. :argh: Still, really cool guy to chat with if even for a few minutes.

I loved the Q&A. Really, I love it when Patton moderates anything, but they played well together and seemed to have fun. Campbell really drove home the point that he doesn't want people to ask what *his* favorite parts or movies were: he likes hearing the fans' opinions instead of giving out his. Some people tried to be assholes or cutesy with questions, but Campbell did not suffer jackassery and had a ready retort for pretty much everything. I don't know what else to say other than that he has a lot of stories and a lot of thoughts about the business, all of which were pretty fun to hear.

I pretty much would go to anything that meant I got to talk to Bruce Campbell, quite frankly, but even if my wife and I hadn't ponied up a bit more for that, it would still have been a fun experience.

So there's that. Anyone else who went to Sketchfest shows, please chime in!

I'll chime in! I was in SF the week before the Super Bowl, and I got to go see:
Harmontown (they gave out free t-shirts after the show, and I made a really embarrassing video of Dan Harmon talking about how the girl I was staying with should go out with me, which I immediately texted to her because I was drunk and stupid)
Meltdown (where I first learned that Jonah Ray is actually really funny, and Kumail is seriously one of the funniest people I've ever seen perform)
JV Club (really heartwarming interview with Tig that kinda went through all of the poo poo that had happened to her over the past few years, she's very funny and Janet is just adorable)
Smartest Man in the World (Greg Proops is awesome)
Gravid Water (Improv show combining scenes from real plays with improvisors, both Scott Adsit and Ian Roberts were hilarious, and the Pam equivalent from the British Office was one of the actors)
Risk! (More Kumail and Proops, and some really awesome local comics telling stories)

It was super fun, though I wish I had taken a chance to talk to Janet Varney and tell her how great she was (I saw her later in the day after JV Club). I don't know when I'll be back, because the friend I was staying with is moving to LA pretty soon, but one of my improv goals is to eventually perform there.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Oh god never take dating advice from Dan Harmon.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The Mutato posted:

Oh god never take dating advice from Dan Harmon.

I dunno, Erin McGathy seems pretty awesome.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Every time I think about HarmonTown, which ive never listened to, I picture Bill Lawrence and that makes me wanna like it and also never listen so as to not spoil it.

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009

FrensaGeran posted:

Bill Burr canceled his shows at the Largo this weekend. :( Super bummed.

Guessing he got more acting work.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Burr crushed it on Conan last night. It was heartwarming and a little sad to see him fighting to hold back tears when talking about the Patrice benefit show he were doing.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Did my first open mic last week. Pretty big thrill. I was fully prepared to get silence if it came to that but for the most part all the places where I hoped for a laugh, there were laughs, and in a couple of other places too. About 30 people in the room, about half of which were other performers. Had my girlfriend record it... luckily it came out to just under the allotted time because I don't think I would have been able to see them giving me lights, as the lighting on the stage was practically blinding me any way.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Shovelbearer posted:

Did my first open mic last week. Pretty big thrill. I was fully prepared to get silence if it came to that but for the most part all the places where I hoped for a laugh, there were laughs, and in a couple of other places too. About 30 people in the room, about half of which were other performers. Had my girlfriend record it... luckily it came out to just under the allotted time because I don't think I would have been able to see them giving me lights, as the lighting on the stage was practically blinding me any way.

Cool, what city?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Shovelbearer posted:

luckily it came out to just under the allotted time because I don't think I would have been able to see them giving me lights, as the lighting on the stage was practically blinding me any way.
I got up for the first time a month ago and I have to say, if you ever wanted to try and open mic but were afraid at the idea of being in front of dozens/hundreds of people, go on ahead because the lighting is so goddamn blinding, you'll feel like you're in an empty room no matter what.

And keep going, because you'll get to see the shittily named novely acts on the sign-up sheet (my favorite so far has been "SHOWBIZ!"), or the meltdowns people have after not getting stage time for weeks.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 16, 2013

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

rear end Catchcum posted:

Cool, what city?

Nashville, specifically at a dive bar called the Springwater Supper Club. I had gone to the previous open mic to scope out where the bar was set, and, well, almost everyone that night was so awful that I was like "I can do this for sure." The night I did was a lot better from top to bottom though.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Congratulations for popping your open mic cherries, guys. I have a good deal of material written but I'm not personally a fan of all of it-- I need to make it stronger.

At the end of the day, if I think my jokes are funny, then I could go up, perform in front of a dead silent audience, and feel accomplished and proud.

It's inevitable that you're going to "bomb"-- just comes with the territory. Whether or not you let it keep you from getting on stage again, is the determining factor. And the more you do it, the better you'll get. Really, the only way to work out kinks and make your jokes the best they can be is to work the material in front of audiences.

Every successful comedian has bombed multiple times in their career.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

escape artist posted:

Every successful comedian has bombed multiple times in their career.

In a weird way I look forward to that first bomb. Will signify the end of beginner's luck.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Shovelbearer posted:

In a weird way I look forward to that first bomb. Will signify the end of beginner's luck.

Plus it's humbling, and it's a necessary way to thicken your skin, in a profession that requires thick skin.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

I got up for the first time a month ago and I have to say, if you ever wanted to try and open mic but were afraid at the idea of being in front of dozens/hundreds of people, go on ahead because the lighting is so goddamn blinding, you'll feel like you're in an empty room no matter what.

I love that you mentioned this because the blinding thing happened to me too. It actually kind of delights me every time I see someone do their first 5 minutes, because when I talk to them there seems to be a high chance they'll mention the same thing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

escape artist posted:

Congratulations for popping your open mic cherries, guys. I have a good deal of material written but I'm not personally a fan of all of it-- I need to make it stronger.

At the end of the day, if I think my jokes are funny, then I could go up, perform in front of a dead silent audience, and feel accomplished and proud.
That's a big stumbling block for me - I come up with material that I find amusing and rewrite it in my head a million times, but I have absolutely no idea whether or not it's going to play for anyone else. The only reason I'm able to force myself up has literally been me just saying to myself "There's got to be at least one person there who's going to understand whatever you're saying" and that's pretty much enough.

Bob The Sun posted:

I love that you mentioned this because the blinding thing happened to me too. It actually kind of delights me every time I see someone do their first 5 minutes, because when I talk to them there seems to be a high chance they'll mention the same thing.
A solid block of everyone who went up that night were first timers (the general rule at Helium in Portland seems to be if it's your first time or you're from out of town, write that down and you'll get stage time no matter what), so as the night progressed, it was a conga line of people exiting the greenroom shouting WHERE THE gently caress WAS THE LIGHT? WAS THAT THE LIGHT? ALL I SEE ARE LIGHTS followed by ARE YOUR KNEES SHAKING? MINE ARE SHAKING.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Trailer for the new Louis C.K HBO Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEtAfAa67TY

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Sporadic posted:

Trailer for the new Louis C.K HBO Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEtAfAa67TY

Hahaha, that was great. I was a little weirded out seeing him in a suit in the thumbnail preview, but that came together nicely.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

BobTheCow posted:

Hahaha, that was great. I was a little weirded out seeing him in a suit in the thumbnail preview, but that came together nicely.
I was at the show where he taped the shots of the audience. He made a big funny deal out of how he was going to dress up how in a million years he never would, and had his camera guy filming him coming on and off stage a few times to "overdone" (of course not really) audience roars. I haven't seen another show live to compare, but this took the place of the warmup that others have described in this thread. The whole thing was hilarious and good fun, so I'm sure I got my money's worth.

(Also, I may be in the trailer, but also might be just out of the shot -- haven't tried to freeze frame and look for a tiny image of myself yet.)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Have you guys seen The Unbookables? What'd you think?

Andy and Sean are my favorite. I actually saw Brett live a few years before the documentary came out. The crowd treated him like poo poo and I had to tell some drunken strangers to shut the gently caress up because I wanted to hear the jokes.

Any other work by them I should check out, or similar comedy documentaries?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I posted a couple of months ago that I was heading to LA and trying to figure out who/what to see, but figured I'd post again now that most venues have a schedule up. I'm a big JFL-goer, so I'm excited to see pretty much anyone live - would love to pick the brains of any LA locals. Hope this isn't considered a bad use of the thread.

We're up April 5 and 6, and the interesting shows at Largo were sold out. UCB's schedule just went up, so we booked into ASSSSCAT! and a live Super Ego. Trying to pack in as much as we can - is the Comedy Store late Saturday show a good bet? Or are there better spots to go for an early/late Friday/Saturday comedy show? Checked the Splitsider guide to the LA comedy scene, but checking to see if anyone here knows better - especially for those particular nights.

Sad to just miss the Chelsea Peretti show Thursday at UCB.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 18, 2013

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Just check http://www.thecomedybureau.com/ the week you're in LA.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

:drat: - exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Has anyone seen Amy Schumer live? The AV Club just mentioned she's touring in the first few months of 2013, and she'll be in my town in April. My wife and I LOVED her recent special, "Mostly Sex Stuff," but I was just hoping she'd have new material for this tour.

Here are the dates, by the way: http://www.amyschumer.com/tour

drat, Amy Schumer canceled her tour date in Orlando, and I just got the automatic refund on our tickets. It was kind of an expensive show, but we were still psyched to see her. I wonder what happened.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

drat, Amy Schumer canceled her tour date in Orlando, and I just got the automatic refund on our tickets. It was kind of an expensive show, but we were still psyched to see her. I wonder what happened.

Oh goddammit. You and me could have hung out at the show.

Motherfucker.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

escape artist posted:

Oh goddammit. You and me could have hung out at the show.

Motherfucker.

Do you ever go to comedy stuff in Orlando? I saw Jim Gaffigan at the Hard Rock and Josh Blue at the Improv last year, but I hardly ever go out anywhere or do anything anymore.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Do you ever go to comedy stuff in Orlando? I saw Jim Gaffigan at the Hard Rock and Josh Blue at the Improv last year, but I hardly ever go out anywhere or do anything anymore.

No, because there isn't a lot of comedy stuff around here. Last person I saw was Doug Stanhope in 2008.

Seth Meyers was in town earlier this week but uhhh... I don't like him. Paul Mooney did four shows in town last week, and I found out the day after he did his last show. :(

I love live comedy though. It's so much better than watching it on TV or listening to an album (which is still amazing). You can't match that electric atmosphere.

I've seen Todd Barry, Louis CK, Patton Oswalt and John Mulaney, back in September of '07. Within a week of each other. Every one was great.

I might just start going to the Improv to see random, no-name comics.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

escape artist posted:

No, because there isn't a lot of comedy stuff around here. Last person I saw was Doug Stanhope in 2008.

Seth Meyers was in town earlier this week but uhhh... I don't like him. Paul Mooney did four shows in town last week, and I found out the day after he did his last show. :(

I love live comedy though. It's so much better than watching it on TV or listening to an album (which is still amazing). You can't match that electric atmosphere.

I've seen Todd Barry, Louis CK, Patton Oswalt and John Mulaney, back in September of '07. Within a week of each other. Every one was great.

I might just start going to the Improv to see random, no-name comics.

I'd go once in a while, but I'm on the far side of town from it. I believe the Drunken Monkey coffeehouse on Bumby has a stand-up open mic night, and there's also the comedy club in that hotel off I-4 on West Colonial (downtown) that sometimes gives away free tickets. I've gone to SAK a handful of times, but I'm just not as into the clean improv comedy they perform.

I've traveled to see Louis CK (Tampa last fall, and I just happened to be in Baltimore the same night he was there the year before), and I caught Donald Glover, Aziz Ansari, Hannibal Burress, and D.C. Pierson at the South Beach Comedy Festival last year. Back in Gainesville in the late '90s, I was lucky to see George Carlin (he was still awesome) and Bill Cosby (long past his prime).

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

I'd go once in a while, but I'm on the far side of town from it. I believe the Drunken Monkey coffeehouse on Bumby has a stand-up open mic night, and there's also the comedy club in that hotel off I-4 on West Colonial (downtown) that sometimes gives away free tickets. I've gone to SAK a handful of times, but I'm just not as into the clean improv comedy they perform.

I've traveled to see Louis CK (Tampa last fall, and I just happened to be in Baltimore the same night he was there the year before), and I caught Donald Glover, Aziz Ansari, Hannibal Burress, and D.C. Pierson at the South Beach Comedy Festival last year. Back in Gainesville in the late '90s, I was lucky to see George Carlin (he was still awesome) and Bill Cosby (long past his prime).

Good lord, dude... I just checked ticket prices for upcoming shows. Amy canceled her show, right?

Bo Burnham is playing at the end of May, for $30.

Daniel Tosh's shows at the Bob Carr start at $73 a piece. I wouldn't pay that much to see any comedian.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

escape artist posted:

Good lord, dude... I just checked ticket prices for upcoming shows. Amy canceled her show, right?

Bo Burnham is playing at the end of May, for $30.

Daniel Tosh's shows at the Bob Carr start at $73 a piece. I wouldn't pay that much to see any comedian.

I'd pay that much not to see Tosh, but he's probably one of the top two or three stand-ups in the country right now, having cashed in on the Dane Cook douche-bro market.

And yes, unfortunately Amy canceled -- I got all the automated e-mails from the venue and from Ticketfly, and they already refunded my money.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I think Tosh is actually incredibly talented and original. Nothing like Dane Cook at all.

I mean, I can understand why you wouldn't like him, but that's unfair. Dane Cook is a joke, and a joke thief.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm not a huge fan of him but the dude is original and has a talent that shows in places, it's unfair to compare him to a dude who's bit is YELLING REALLY LOUD and stealing jokes.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
If you haven't seen his stand-up, you should. It's way, way better than his Tosh.0 show. I only watch Tosh.0 when I'm drunk and there is literally nothing else to do.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Fair enough. I've only seen him on Tosh.0, so it's possible his stand-up is better than I thought. I'm inclined to dislike him because of his public persona, though.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Fair enough. I've only seen him on Tosh.0, so it's possible his stand-up is better than I thought. I'm inclined to dislike him because of his public persona, though.

I was absolutely the same way. First time I saw him was when he did a radio show in 2007 or 2008, and I thought "man this guy is a full-of-himself douche bag." Eventually, I realized it was part of his act. One time he did stand-up at my college, his alma mater, and trashed it and the student body... which naturally made me like him a lot more. He hasn't been invited back :lol: I wish I had gone to that show because it was probably the last show he did in this town that I could afford.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Kristen Schaal's special was the poo poo. Highly recommended if you like absurdist comedy.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Kristen Schaal's special was the poo poo. Highly recommended if you like absurdist comedy.

I thought the first half was brilliant, but the stage fright bit was so long, and the switch in tone from really good humor to anti-humor was jarring, to the point that it didn't work.

The part with the girl from the audience doing comedy was great, but it was book-ended by terrible. I was really excited and then really sad-- I've been waiting for a Kristen Schaal special for 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I was going to see a TV taping of Sullivan & Son with Steve Byrne while in LA because I've never seen a tv taping before, but it just got called off because a cabbie broke Steve Byrne's jaw. :/