Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/25/us-syria-jordan-border-idUSBRE92O0JF20130325

Jordan closed its main border crossing with Syria. Not sure how this affects refugees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A no fly zone could turn into a confrontation with planes coming in from Iran, which would be, uh, provocative. Not to mention Russia's opposition and their military presence in the region.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More kids with guns in Syria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE6kAJNRxmk

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Did you see this?

http://feed.vocativ.com/child-soldiers-in-syria-sick-mascots-or-the-new-face-of-global-jihad/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I didn't, it's certainly reflective of a continuing trend I'm seeing in the conflict, I've been keeping a playlist of videos like that here.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a really great piece from Channel 4 News about a clinic in Aleppo. It's a very tough watch, but worth it

http://www.channel4.com/news/syrias-descent-the-agony-of-aleppos-children

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

My conclusion is that if you are arming the FSA you'll end up arming the Jihadists too.

And vice versa.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/a-letter-from-a-political-prisoner-on-hunger-strike-in-bahrain/?smid=tw-share

Letter from Zainab al-Khawaja

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Another great Onion article, Hi, In The Past 2 Years, You Have Allowed Me To Kill 70,000 People By Bashar Al-Assad.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

This one's not even funny, just sad.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."

Sergg posted:

I think the people of Syria would disagree vehemently with you about the rebel groups being worth a drat, as evidenced by the mass defections and the whole civil war thing. If Assad wins, there is no hope. No hope for a better future. He will just keep killing and killing and killing, just like he was doing before the people took up arms against him. If Assad wins he will kill everyone who opposed him and his iron fist will come down with renewed vigor and multiplied force. It'll be like Iraq in 1991 all over again. That's why so many Syrians would rather die than live under his regime.

Being honest, if the fighting stopped tomorrow and fair elections are later held with Bashar's name somewhere on the ballot I wouldn't be surprised if he actually wins.

The situation is a little more complicated than you make it seem. If the existence of a civil war makes the rebel movement legitimate then the duration and bitterness of the fighting proves that the other side must also be legitimate. At this point, there's enough truth to what is said about both sides to where it becomes hard to condemn someone for supporting one or the other.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

Brown Moses posted:

The intention with the Croatian weapons was they were to be supplied to members of the "official" Free Syrian Army, but what has happened is these weapons have now ended up in the hands of Salafist and Jihadist groups outside of the FSA. It's likely this is a result of the close working relationship between the FSA and these groups, and is an indication of what will happen to weapons provided to the FSA if the transfers are done above aboard. My conclusion is that if you are arming the FSA you'll end up arming the Jihadists too.

I am really bad at keeping links so I am not sure what site I got this from, but there was some article talking to one of the ... what should we call them ... "softcore Islamists"? A leader in one of the somewhat religious groups who worked closely with JAN and similar, without being all-out jihadi. Like you note above, he said that of course he shared weaponry with them when he got supplies from foreign sources, they were brothers and shared everything, etc. Even apart from such outright sharing, it should be pretty obvious that armament will more or less quickly spread beyond the original receivers.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Have we had any news about Assad yet? Surely he would have confirmed he's alive by now, no?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

No, and no. I don't think those rumors hit the mainstream and he often goes a while without being in public these days.

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

:m10:
I know this is going back a couple days, but CNN (and whatever other major news organizations) reporting that chemical weapon use had been "highly probable" drives me a bit nuts. I don't exactly expect better from the CNN website but it was irresponsible to repeat the claim that chemical weapons were used, in the headline, then follow up with little fact checking through independent sources/analysts. What makes it so awful is that CNN is still viewed as a legitimate moderate or even liberal-leaning news source by a lot of Americans, even after we saw what happened with the non-existent WMDs in Iraq, and it can still shift public opinion towards going to war. It's good that they're catching up with Brown Moses now, and they technically did say that the reports were unconfirmed, but the idea is already planted in people's heads and the public is nudged ever so slightly towards supporting American intervention.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

G. Hosafat posted:

I know this is going back a couple days, but CNN (and whatever other major news organizations) reporting that chemical weapon use had been "highly probable" drives me a bit nuts. I don't exactly expect better from the CNN website but it was irresponsible to repeat the claim that chemical weapons were used, in the headline, then follow up with little fact checking through independent sources/analysts. What makes it so awful is that CNN is still viewed as a legitimate moderate or even liberal-leaning news source by a lot of Americans, even after we saw what happened with the non-existent WMDs in Iraq, and it can still shift public opinion towards going to war. It's good that they're catching up with Brown Moses now, and they technically did say that the reports were unconfirmed, but the idea is already planted in people's heads and the public is nudged ever so slightly towards supporting American intervention.

There were a couple of Congressmen who came out of an intelligence briefing saying that it was "highly probable", so I don't really fault CNN for that.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

You should absolutely fault cnn for that. What kind of retard journalist takes pols statements at face value without any evidence. It's not like Congressmen don't have a long history of spouting bullshit to the press, see McCarthy for example. Their nasty habit of spreading rumors is the kind of behavior that got us into Iraq. It's also the laziest way to make deadline and keep the 24 hour news stream flowing.

edit: For a more detailed explanation of why you shouldn't trust that kind of government statement, see the FP article i linked a few pages back

Squalid fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 26, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I thought I had posted it in here, but apparently not and now I can't find it, but CNN did have an "exclusive" article last week reporting that the intelligence community disagreed with those assessments about chemical weapons being used.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I've literally never seen step 12. Anywhere. Not in Libya, not in Tunisia, not in Egypt, not in Iraq, not in Afghanistan, not anywhere. None of those are legitimate. It's a bit sad.

What makes democracy the only thing which is legitimate in your mind? Is Australia less legitimate, since we don't elect out head of state or prime minister?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Xandu posted:

No, and no. I don't think those rumors hit the mainstream and he often goes a while without being in public these days.

I can't find a source for it at the moment, but didn't someone in the GBS thread mention that it seemed slightly odd that Assad security forces weren't allowing any entry (at least by journalists) into the hospital that Assad would normally go to in the event that he needed their services?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I don't know, given all the various restrictions on journalists in Damascus, I don't know if that's unusual or not. It might be.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I haven't paid much attention to Libya ever since Gaddafi was killed, how has the country been progressing? Has a functional new government been formed? Is the country still undergoing reconstruction?

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I can't find a source for it at the moment, but didn't someone in the GBS thread mention that it seemed slightly odd that Assad security forces weren't allowing any entry (at least by journalists) into the hospital that Assad would normally go to in the event that he needed their services?

AlShami has been the go-to hospital for a lot of the regime's hard cases for a while due to its location and reported quality of service, and has been off limits for almost a year now. That place is a fortress, and it is where they took people like Asef Shawkat to after the explosion that killed him.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

What makes democracy the only thing which is legitimate in your mind? Is Australia less legitimate, since we don't elect out head of state or prime minister?

The difference is that power in Australia is accountable to voters in a way that it isn't in most Middle Eastern countries. It's true that the monarch is not elected, but the politicians who wield power can be voted out if they displease the citizens. It's also a semantic quibble to say the prime minister isn't elected in parliamentary democracies, since the voters understand the system and know who will be the prime minister if a certain party forms a government.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Bit late to the Brown Moses congratulation party but I felt I had to express my admiration for your dedication to detail and reporting in the Syrian conflict. I also hope that you can make this into something good for yourself, we all know you deserve it.

Do you know what NOS is going to use your interview for? I'd like to catch it on Dutch tv if at all possible.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Not yet, I'll be sure to ask them though. They should be here in 3 hours.

I should also be on Channel 4 News in the UK tonight.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
Moaaz Alkhatib, the head of the Syrian National Coalition just made what appears to be an amazing speech at the Arab Summit in Doha. I'll upload a translated or dubbed video of it as soon as one appears online.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Chamale posted:

The difference is that power in Australia is accountable to voters in a way that it isn't in most Middle Eastern countries. It's true that the monarch is not elected, but the politicians who wield power can be voted out if they displease the citizens. It's also a semantic quibble to say the prime minister isn't elected in parliamentary democracies, since the voters understand the system and know who will be the prime minister if a certain party forms a government.

Ahahahaha. The amount you DON'T know about Australian politics is adorable.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gah, I've been bumped again on Channel 4 News.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

Ahahahaha. The amount you DON'T know about Australian politics is adorable.

While I get what you're saying, what with Gillard and Rudd, and so forth, but Australia is still more democratic than any Middle Eastern country, and is definitely 'more legitimate' than any Middle Easter government. Democracy is a slow process and a fight from ideals and ideologies as they progress. It doesn't happen over night but the fact is that the ME is taking good steps towards a better future with better democracy and better human rights. It could mean two steps forward one step backwards - but that's shown throughout history.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Lascivious Sloth posted:

While I get what you're saying, what with Gillard and Rudd, and so forth, but Australia is still more democratic than any Middle Eastern country, and is definitely 'more legitimate' than any Middle Easter government. Democracy is a slow process and a fight from ideals and ideologies as they progress. It doesn't happen over night but the fact is that the ME is taking good steps towards a better future with better democracy and better human rights. It could mean two steps forward one step backwards - but that's shown throughout history.

First of all, stop saying ME, that's loving Orientalist as hell. It's West Asia.

Second of all, you didn't get what I was saying at all. He mentioned accountability, that's what I was loving laughing at.

And what's so undemocratic about Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Tunisia or Algeria?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Using the term Middle East for that region or specific nations is not Orientalist. I got what you were saying - and Australia is more accountable as a democratic nation than any country in the ME.

Turkey is not the Middle East, it is Eastern Europe. Algeria and Tunisia are North African. That aside; Turkey, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Tunisia and Algeria are not more 'accountable'/democratic/free than Australia. Are you kidding me.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Using the term Middle East for that region or specific nations is not Orientalist.

As a person with ancestry from the region, I find the term Middle East highly offensive. Middle in relation to what? East in relation to what? Europe, you loving Eurocentrist. I'd prefer to be defined by geographical relation to Asia, not a rotting, open wound like Europe. This is why the United Nations and slightly progressive places like Canada use the term Western Asia instead of "Middle East".

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I got what you were saying - and Australia is more accountable as a democratic nation than any country in the ME.

I didn't say they were, you disingenuous gently caress, I asked how they were any less democratic. People in those countries, for instance, largely pay attention to politics and vote on things based on more than "that's what my parents voted for" or "fygm?", for instance. There is spirited and lively (but most of all, meaningful) debate in those countries. That's called engagement, and to me bespeaks greater democracy than the festering puss ball of apathy which is Australia.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Turkey is not the Middle East, it is Eastern Europe. Algeria and Tunisia are North African. That aside; Turkey, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Tunisia and Algeria are not more 'accountable'/democratic/free than Australia. Are you kidding me.

This still isn't explaining what you mean. Your inability to show your reasoning is telling. Make an argument, or gently caress off.

If a politician fucks up and pisses someone off in the Western Asian region, they might get assassinated. That's a lot more accountability than an Australian politician who, upon loving up, will likely get voted back into power, to later retire with a parliamentary retirement package. See: Joh Bjelke Peterson. That motherfucker even got a knighthood

SOURCE: http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/map/profile/westasia.pdf

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 26, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Wow

quote:

The Sultanate has provided asylum to the family of late Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi on "humanitarian grounds", according to a top Foreign Ministry source.

"The family has been given asylum since last October, purely on humanitarian grounds," the Foreign Ministry source told a correspondent of Al Shabiba, a sister publication of Times of Oman.

According to media reports, the Algerian ambassador to Libya, Abdel Hamid Bouzaher, confirmed that the Gaddafi family had left Libya a long time ago, adding that none of the leader's family members are currently present on the Algerian territory.

Quoting a well-informed Libyan source, a report had appeared in a regional daily that "an Arab country" had granted political asylum to Muammar Gaddafi's widow, Safia Farkash, his children — Aisha, Mohammed, and Hannibal — and their children.

http://www.timesofoman.com/News/Article-11777.aspx

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Someone attempted to assassinate a foreigner in the Yemeni capital today, which has actually never happened before (usually just kidnappings, last assassination of a foreigner was in Taiz) and doesn't bode well for the security situation.

quote:

A Western aid worker was shot on Tuesday in the Yemeni capital by unidentified gunmen and was in a critical condition, a security official said.

"The foreign worker was in the car of an international organization when she was shot in one of Sanaa's streets," the official said.

No further details were immediately available.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/26/us-yemen-violence-aidworker-idUSBRE92P0CJ20130326

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

As a person with ancestry from the region, I find the term Middle East highly offensive. Middle in relation to what? East in relation to what? Europe, you loving Eurocentrist. I'd prefer to be defined by geographical relation to Asia, not a rotting, open wound like Europe. This is why the United Nations and slightly progressive places like Canada use the term Western Asia instead of "Middle East".

I didn't say they were, you disingenuous gently caress, I asked how they were any less democratic. People in those countries, for instance, largely pay attention to politics and vote on things based on more than "that's what my parents voted for" or "fygm?", for instance. There is spirited and lively (but most of all, meaningful) debate in those countries. That's called engagement, and to me bespeaks greater democracy than the festering puss ball of apathy which is Australia.

This still isn't explaining what you mean. Your inability to show your reasoning is telling. Make an argument, or gently caress off.

If a politician fucks up and pisses someone off in the Western Asian region, they might get assassinated. That's a lot more accountability than an Australian politician who, upon loving up, will likely get voted back into power, to later retire with a parliamentary retirement package. See: Joh Bjelke Peterson. That motherfucker even got a knighthood

Calm down my friend, your insults and xenophobia does not actually justify your argument. I'm sorry you find the term offensive - I've traveled in the region and many people I met often used the term. Maybe you shouldn't automatically assume it's ill intended.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Xandu posted:

Someone attempted to assassinate a foreigner in the Yemeni capital today, which has actually never happened before (usually just kidnappings, last assassination of a foreigner was in Taiz) and doesn't bode well for the security situation.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/26/us-yemen-violence-aidworker-idUSBRE92P0CJ20130326

Aren't you a foreigner based in Yemen? If so, how do you feel about the security situation yourself?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Calm down my friend, your insults and xenophobia does not actually justify your argument. I'm sorry you find the term offensive - I've traveled in the region and many people I met often used the term. Maybe you shouldn't automatically assume it's ill intended.

I really suggest you read his history. His rap sheet doesn't seem TOO bad until you read the conversations actually taking place. Don't respond to him and maybe he'll leave before destroying the thread.

e: Just in case you miss it, these are things he actually said:

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

Sustain it? Honestly? That's what you're a accusing me of? You, who is a white person that hasn't given up their privileges - the things that ACTUALLY contribute to inequality and oppression? I was raised by white people, but I have been rejected by white society so many times now, that it comes down to this - I now ideologically support the death of all whites, unless they voluntarily repatriate themselves to the lands they are indigenous to.

Like I said, I now give to Aboriginal operated charities that do good for the true sovereign people of this nation. I will do everything in my power while I remain here to make life worse for the occupiers who continue to steal from, harass and kill them. I don't care if moslems die, christians die, white people die, brown people die. All I care about is seeing this land returned to the people to whom it belongs.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 26, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I moved back last month, but I wouldn't be feeling too great. Those 3 foreigners kidnapped earlier this year still haven't been released, and then there was this video. There might be a reason she was targeted (the American killed a few years ago in Taiz was accused of proselytizing), but there might not.

A lot of the high-ranking foreign diplomats and NGO guys walk around Sana'a with multiple armed bodyguards and only leave their hotels for meetings and 90% of the time it feels like complete overkill, but then poo poo like this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Calm down my friend, your insults and xenophobia does not actually justify your argument. I'm sorry you find the term offensive - I've traveled [sic] in the region and many people I met often used the term. Maybe you shouldn't automatically assume it's ill intended.

I'm part European, so, hardly xenophobic.

Maybe they didn't know better. It doesn't justify your continuing use of a derogatory designation.

It's not like you elucidated your argument at all, so I'm not going to continue to engage in this. But for the record, I didn't assume it was ill intended, merely under-informed, ignorant, and perhaps even a little backwards.

Schizotek posted:

I really suggest you read his history. His rap sheet doesn't seem TOO bad until you read the conversations actually taking place. Don't respond to him and maybe he'll leave before destroying the thread.

e: Just in case you miss it, these are things he actually said:

Do you understand jokeposting at all?

But also: gently caress you for not supporting the rights of Aborigines to self-determination.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 26, 2013

• Locked thread