Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Serotonin posted:

Yeah- the fantasy gaming thread is over that a-way.
You are so grumpy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Sails of Glory rules preview.

The game certainly looks good, but I think I'd end up playing it with friends to get them in to historicals, then using the models to play Trafalgar or Kiss Me, hardy (or I would if I didn't already have 1:1200 scale ships).

I've been wanting to get into sail-ships; maybe this will be an easy way to drum up support at my LGS.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Normally the best way to drum up support for a game is to own good looking painted minis for both sides and to invite people to play with you.
SAGA has been a hard sell for some reason, but oddly enough all my non mini gamer friends want to learn how to play.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Your gaming group is broken.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Chain of Command looks really good so far. The pre-battle scouting seems like a blast, but I feel like it would invalidate the better part of huge tables over a fixed size. I just hope there's an abundance of army lists.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Normally the best way to drum up support for a game is to own good looking painted minis for both sides and to invite people to play with you.
SAGA has been a hard sell for some reason, but oddly enough all my non mini gamer friends want to learn how to play.

Well I'm boned :v:

Otherwise, my LGS owner has not heard about Sails of Glory, but mentioned the Zvedza game. Not sure if I want something hex based, but if it works to draw people in, who am I to complain.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

moths posted:

Chain of Command looks really good so far. The pre-battle scouting seems like a blast, but I feel like it would invalidate the better part of huge tables over a fixed size. I just hope there's an abundance of army lists.

Well seeing as so far for IABSM they have bought out 2 army books with around 40 army lists in, I think its safe to say you wont be wanting. Thing is I expect like all of TFL stuff it wont be points based and there will be nothing stopping you using real orders of battle or army lists from other games.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Are any of the v3 books out? I'm not sure how much has changed or how compatible they'd be, not having either of the first two editions.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

moths posted:

Are any of the v3 books out? I'm not sure how much has changed or how compatible they'd be, not having either of the first two editions.

Yeah theres 2 and they are both very good. They have close to 40 odd army lists in each book plus lots of extra rules for flavour.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=91
http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=113

Theres also 2 excellent campaign books- 1 just post DDay Western Front, the other early 1941 Eastern Front.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=106

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=42

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Ordered a box of Plastic Soldier Company Germans and a box of Russians (15mm) a few days ago. Already shipped. Hoping it arrives next week! :dance:
Excited to fiddle with them and eventually get some FoW games going with my friend.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Serotonin posted:

4 excellent books

Battle for Liberation looked like the best place to start. I've got a lot of Soviets painted up already, but between the US and French (and the FFI!) this one is too interesting to pass up... Thanks for the info!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Does anyone have an AAR for Saga where they kind of explain whats happening as they're going? The game looks intriguing to me but I'd like to see a game in action before I start buying models.

Literacy Is Dead
Apr 3, 2007

Phonics? Overrated.
I'm brand new to all this. I bought the Bolt Action Assault on Normandy starter box. Are there any resources you guys can point me to that cover the absolute basics? If you have any resources specific to Bolt Action assembly or really anything that's going to get me going in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
What would you like to know?

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Finished a test base of Samuari for Impetus. Tried to free hand the Sashimono. Did not end well so drybrushed over it. Will redo it at some point.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
Being a simple retail drone means that I don't have much in the way of a budget for miniatures (especially anything metal), so I ordered up some cheap 54mm 'toy soldier' quality Civil War guys online since I found them on Amazon for way cheaper than anything that my local hobby shop offered. The figures themselves don't really have a lot in the way of detail, but I still want to paint them up to the best of my ability so that they can look at least semi-respectable. Does anyone have any good links for painting plastic soldiers? The guides I've seen online are pretty poor in detail and I'm basically a beginner at painting beyond one or two that I've done for fun at a friends place.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

El Estrago Bonito posted:

they are going to get slayed because at the end of the day they are Soviets.

Can someone explain what is so poo poo about Russians in FoW? I'm looking to get into the hobby, and I'm really curious why they get so much hate.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

zokie posted:

Can someone explain what is so poo poo about Russians in FoW? I'm looking to get into the hobby, and I'm really curious why they get so much hate.

I play Soviets and I have no problems, although admittedly I only play against one person.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

zokie posted:

Anything with a "Conscript" rating is going to get their asses shot off, and won't be very effective in assaults and artillery. But, not all Soviet companies are conscripts, and Soviets are really the only other army besides Germany that get the really heavy tanks, because if Battlefront ever released Pershings there would be an ocean of tears on their forums.

Otherwise, I'm looking at Force on Force. I'm curious, is there a way to build your own scenarios? How do you not make something completely unbalanced?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

zokie posted:

Well, v3 and Red Bear changed more than a few things about the FoW Russians, most notably, it is a lot more difficult to get QoQ in infantry assaults without maximum sized blobs since you can't beef up numbers with AT rifle teams, for example. It's also more difficult to carry tank assaults home since two kills/bails in defensive fire stops them. Also, just about all the good options for LW soviets got a price hike. LW Soviets have some decent choices, but Red Bear balanced them down quite heavily. They're not unplayable, but they don't have anything(aside from maybe the SU-122 platoons) that strikes me as great value. You get numbers of stands/models but you generally pay quite a bit from them, and the new hen and chicks is mostly a wash in how it helps. Being able to go 6" and shoot normally is important to the LW tanks with good guns(T-34/85, Sherman 76) but being able to move fully and shoot helps the tanks with bad guns.

MW Soviets got hit a bit by the rules changes too, but there are a lot more viable options in general in MW, since FA8+ is super-expensive in that era.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Welp looks like I sold my entire 6mm Napoleonics collection with the purpose of buying some more and starting again.

This loving hobby...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

LintMan posted:

Finished a test base of Samuari for Impetus. Tried to free hand the Sashimono. Did not end well so drybrushed over it. Will redo it at some point.

It's a good start. Are you going for the Murakami clan with those? Freehand sashimono is a bitch and a half. I've started to paint the design several times on paper first, just to get a general feel for how to get the shape right.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

LintMan posted:

Looks nice. What scale are they?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

YF19pilot posted:

Otherwise, I'm looking at Force on Force. I'm curious, is there a way to build your own scenarios? How do you not make something completely unbalanced?
The game is mostly built around the idea of building your own scenarios rather than working from books. The way to not make things completely unbalanced is to play it from both sides a few times and adjust victory points for the various objectives.

Welcome to big-boy historicals, I hope you brought your arguin' hat.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

zokie posted:

Unintended Consequences of multiple changes in the Soviet national rules, Battlefront not listening to play testers, and V3's assault rules (some of biggest changes from V2 to V3 were in the assault rules) and battlefront publishing lists for operations later in the way than they had previous published.

In V3, an infantry/gun platoon can "bounce" an assault by tanks if two or more tanks involved in the assault get bailed out or destroyed. Defensive fire is also against the tank's side armor (always weaker) which gives even lovely AT weapons a decent chance of bailing a tank.

With newer the newer infantry lists, the amount of AT you can stuff into a platoon is ridiculous. A smart infantry player will have at least two AT weapons in every infantry platoon (just the threat of two AT weapons bailing tanks is enough to deter most assaults), and many infantry lists can manage far more. American Armored Rifles are especially guilty of this.

When determining Defensive fire, you include every defending team within 8 inches and LOS of an assaulting team. So given a line of infantry with AT weapons spread through it, a 5 tank platoon crashing into is going to draw less Defensive fire than a 10 tank platoon, but with ether platoon two bails/kills will bounce the assault.

So soviets lost one of the big advantages they had in V2, that being huge practically unstoppable tank platoons in Assault.

Hen and chicks also changed, now when a Soviet tank platoon moves, they get a +1 to the die roll needed to hit an enemy platoon. If any tank moves, all tanks are considered to have moved even if they actually didn't. This, by itself is an improvement over the old hen and chicks, which ment that battlefront (apparently not factoring in the V3 rules changes) increased the points cost for most soviet tanks (but not all for some reason).

Considering that to hit a Vet tank out in the open starts on a 4+, add in long range and its a 5+, once you add in Hen and chicks (basically, move or shoot but not both) that means its a 6+ to hit a vet tank out in the open. If those vet tanks are sitting behind a fence, then it's now a 7+ and thus impossible to to hit (on a d6). Now any halfway decent table will have plenty of concealment options for tanks and a smart opponet will place them there. This means that at the start of the game (certain missions aside) that your T-34's will have to make the choice of moving or shooting, but not both which is THE OLD HEN AND CHICKS!!! But now your T-34's are more expensive!!!

Infact, when doing direct comparisons to American tanks (Sherman and Stuarts) it was found that Soviet versions cost the same, but didn't get free AA machine guns and stabilizers!!! How did this poo poo get through play-testing???

A smart opponent will keep you at long range (where he only needs a 5+ to hit assuming your tanks are also in concealment) for as long as possible and force you to keep moving, denying you shots or keeping your to hit roll at a 6 (at short range), while he's hitting you on 4's!!!

Arguably the new hen and chicks allows you to seek his side armor, but frankly you won't have enough tanks left by the time you have backed the other guy into a corner to win.

The sum of this is that what was intended to be a neutral change in the balance for soviets has resulted in their armor taking a heavy nerf. This has moved it well out of the range of what's considered competitive.

Now Soviets in General are still good, Stelkovy is still nasty (nastier given the boost infantry in general have gotten from V3) Guards tanks (which don't get Hen and Chicks) and most Assault guns are still fine. T-34s do ok when used in non-tank forces since if you are playing defensively they don't have to move that much but they are still over costed.

So If I was starting soviets, I would avoid the Tankovy and look into the very good Mechinized lists the Soviets get, or go straight up Assualt Gun company.

Panzeh posted:

Well, v3 and Red Bear changed more than a few things about the FoW Russians, most notably, it is a lot more difficult to get QoQ in infantry assaults without maximum sized blobs since you can't beef up numbers with AT rifle teams, for example.

Wait what? Soviets get plenty of HQ/combat attachable capable platoons and when attached they become part of that platoon for all purposes. I just checked the rulebook and I didn't see anything about AT rifle teams not counting as teams during an assault! How would that even work?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Numlock posted:

Wait what? Soviets get plenty of HQ/combat attachable capable platoons and when attached they become part of that platoon for all purposes. I just checked the rulebook and I didn't see anything about AT rifle teams not counting as teams during an assault! How would that even work?

AT rifle teams are gun teams, and gun teams can't be assaulting teams. QoQ checks for assaulting teams. Most of the attachments(except the pioneers) are gun teams and can only counterattack.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you play Soviets you should play my army: Naval Infantry. We have snappy black uniforms, lots of SMGs and totally not dorky hats!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Panzeh posted:

AT rifle teams are gun teams, and gun teams can't be assaulting teams. QoQ checks for assaulting teams. Most of the attachments(except the pioneers) are gun teams and can only counterattack.

Whelp there goes some plans of mine. Seriously Battlefront has their heads up their asses regarding soviets.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
The big metal pigeon just landed April's Wgi on my desk. For all you samurai players (I count 2) one of the up coming osprey wargaming books is a samurai skirmish game called Ronin. That's all I know for now.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

Numlock posted:

Unintended Consequences of multiple changes in the Soviet national rules, Battlefront not listening to play testers, and V3's assault rules (some of biggest changes from V2 to V3 were in the assault rules) and battlefront publishing lists for operations later in the way than they had previous published.

Infact, when doing direct comparisons to American tanks (Sherman and Stuarts) it was found that Soviet versions cost the same, but didn't get free AA machine guns and stabilizers!!! How did this poo poo get through play-testing???

All the playtesters are under NDA about what goes on during the playtest process, myself included. So it is a bit unfair to blame a group or groups of people who are not allowed to defend themselves.

Any differences in opinion should be directed to the writer or editor as they would have the final say.

Numlock posted:

A smart opponent will keep you at long range (where he only needs a 5+ to hit assuming your tanks are also in concealment) for as long as possible and force you to keep moving, denying you shots or keeping your to hit roll at a 6 (at short range), while he's hitting you on 4's!!!

The sum of this is that what was intended to be a neutral change in the balance for soviets has resulted in their armor taking a heavy nerf. This has moved it well out of the range of what's considered competitive.

True but behind the scenes there are a lot of things factored in the points cost of soviet tanks. The bulk discount is huge and the side armour of the T34 also increases the points with little game difference. The new hen and chicks does not effect the ROF of MGs on that tank.

It is hard to fully judge the cost as the only books after V3 with the US 76mm Shermans only have the stats for the 76mm (late) which is a better gun than the 85mm on the T34.

At the lowest points and therefore no bulk discount 400pts gets you 5xT34/85. 415pts gets you 4xShermans with the 76mm late (if you could have all 4 with the 76mm upgrade). They are a better tank but the T34/85 has numbers.

Numlock posted:

Now Soviets in General are still good, Stelkovy is still nasty (nastier given the boost infantry in general have gotten from V3) Guards tanks (which don't get Hen and Chicks) and most Assault guns are still fine. T-34s do ok when used in non-tank forces since if you are playing defensively they don't have to move that much but they are still over costed.

So If I was starting soviets, I would avoid the Tankovy and look into the very good Mechinized lists the Soviets get, or go straight up Assualt Gun company.

Soviet AT rifles increase the platoon size but QoQ is assaulting infantry teams. The soviet AT rifle is a gun team so does not count.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

Torabi posted:

Looks nice. What scale are they?

28mm Perry figures.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Here's my WWI German army. 28mm scale. They're a mix of Renegade and Great War miniatures. They're "Late War," intended to represent the army at about the time of the 1918 Spring Offensive.

I initially intended to flock the bases, but I may leave them bare mud.

And, yes, I have a larger British army nearing completion.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Is that the Emhar 1/72 model of the German tank that even the Germans thought sucked?
Or does someone do one of the manufacturers you used for the figures do one?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

mehall posted:

Is that the Emhar 1/72 model of the German tank that even the Germans thought sucked?
Or does someone do one of the manufacturers you used for the figures do one?

It's a 28mm scale resin kit from Great War Miniatures; in this case I bought it through Brigade Games.

It is an A7V, an absolutely awful tank even by the standards of WWI. That said, I had to have one - I've always had a soft spot for the A7V, it's like a barn on tracks.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Fantastic stuff Cessna. Great War Miniatures make some lovely stuff.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
That Great War army is insane, well done.

As my first foray into Age of Sail gaming I got this: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36597/serpents-of-the-seas
I've been having a lot of fun with it. The ruleset has enough flavour to be believable without all the hyper-detail that I see in a lot of other AoS rulesets that prevent you from running more than a ship or two per player (how many guys are in the rigging this turn?). The main game of that series is Flying Colours, but I went with Serpents because I'm more interested in war of 1812/revolutionary war stuff than I am in the big Trafalgar-type slugfests. If you want to run big fleets of little gunboats, brigs, frigates, and 4th-5th rate ships of the line, Serpents is great (there's also a neat little card-driven Duel system if you want to knock off a 1v1 schooner vs brig or whatever in 20 minutes).

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Cessna posted:

Here's my WWI German army. 28mm scale. They're a mix of Renegade and Great War miniatures. They're "Late War," intended to represent the army at about the time of the 1918 Spring Offensive.

I initially intended to flock the bases, but I may leave them bare mud.

And, yes, I have a larger British army nearing completion.

:aaaaa:

Fantastic mini's dude. Would you mind posting a couple links to where you ordered them from?

Also, what rules do you use for these guys?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

LintMan posted:

True but behind the scenes there are a lot of things factored in the points cost of soviet tanks. The bulk discount is huge and the side armour of the T34 also increases the points with little game difference. The new hen and chicks does not effect the ROF of MGs on that tank.

The point of what I was describing was to show how the new hen and chicks was in effect, just as restricting as the old. Having the ability to machine gun the infantry of a player foolish enough to move them around unsupported is nice, but no competent player would do such a thing.

So in the end Soviet tanks went up in points for essentially nothing. This increased cost has meant that the tankovy has become noncompetitive at high levels, also they just are no fun even in "for fun" games. That and every tank, not just moving ones, suffering the +1 to hit.

There was a thread on the official forums I would link to in regards to the discount that soviet tanks get, but it was deleted. No surprise honestly since battlefront has officially taken the position that there is nothing wrong with soviets.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Numlock posted:

The point of what I was describing was to show how the new hen and chicks was in effect, just as restricting as the old. Having the ability to machine gun the infantry of a player foolish enough to move them around unsupported is nice, but no competent player would do such a thing.

So in the end Soviet tanks went up in points for essentially nothing. This increased cost has meant that the tankovy has become noncompetitive at high levels, also they just are no fun even in "for fun" games. That and every tank, not just moving ones, suffering the +1 to hit.

There was a thread on the official forums I would link to in regards to the discount that soviet tanks get, but it was deleted. No surprise honestly since battlefront has officially taken the position that there is nothing wrong with soviets.

That's not entirely true, it's just a 20 point T-70 provides not much less use than a 45 point t-34/76. The most playable tankovy force is all matilda IIs just because tankovy is just a bunch of machine gun platforms now. Not to say it's that good anyway but matty 2s let you get a decent level of support in 1750+ games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Panzeh posted:

That's not entirely true, it's just a 20 point T-70 provides not much less use than a 45 point t-34/76. The most playable tankovy force is all matilda IIs just because tankovy is just a bunch of machine gun platforms now. Not to say it's that good anyway but matty 2s let you get a decent level of support in 1750+ games.

Whats not true? That's one of the unavoidable results of what I was describing.

With the current points pricing and the way the new hen and chicks works, stuff like Matilda's and Lees are now the best bang for your point (for medium tanks) even in Late war. Even ignoring the historical considerations, who would play a nation were taking their most iconic tank was effectively shooting yourself in the foot?