Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hepatizon posted:

i'm not sure what your point is. if some code is too boring (obvious, trivial, predictable) for a human to manually write, necessitating autocomplete, it's definitely too boring for a human to read, and serves no purpose

no IDE is smart enough to write meaningful code. at best, it can help you obscure your code's meaning with boilerplate

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
i think my root concern with autocomplete is the implication that programmers spend more time typing than thinking

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maybe we're getting terms mixed up cause im talking auto complete like

Butt butt = new *press control space here and get list of Butt constructors*

or butt.f*press control space here to get list of methods starting w/ f like fart() or fondle()*

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
hey is there some way to make copy-pasting snippets of python from your code into the interpreter suck less? because whoops you're indented there buddy, exception time!

i'm a little bummed pycharm doesn't have some smart way of dealing with indent stuff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes: don't use python. or just hit the auto format button in ur ide.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PENETRATION TESTS posted:

hey is there some way to make copy-pasting snippets of python from your code into the interpreter suck less? because whoops you're indented there buddy, exception time!

i'm a little bummed pycharm doesn't have some smart way of dealing with indent stuff

you can do better with sublime: [trigger warning: stack homeworkflow] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12919365/send-text-to-repl-using-sublimerepl-and-sublime-text-2

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
a nice unbiased look at the end of sql: http://readwrite.com/2013/03/26/oracles-big-miss-the-end-of-an-enterprise-era

quote:

Oracle's Big Miss: The End Of An Enterprise Era?
Matt Asay posted 10 hours ago

wait a minute

quote:

Matt Asay is vice president of corporate strategy at 10gen, the MongoDB company.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so, I have to wonder if there's a language that is anywhere near as binary incompatible with itself as Scala is. at work, I have two versions of the same library I have to support (netlogo4 and 5), and 4 is compiled with 2.8.0 while 5 is compiled with 2.9.2, which of course means my shiny scala 2.10.1 project reacts violently whenever they are used under normal circumstances. we get around this with OSGi trickery and java glue code between our library and our project. Of course, this would be unnecessary if scala didn't break backwards compatibility every major version, but what are you gonna do.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Condiv posted:

so, I have to wonder if there's a language that is anywhere near as binary incompatible with itself as Scala is. at work, I have two versions of the same library I have to support (netlogo4 and 5), and 4 is compiled with 2.8.0 while 5 is compiled with 2.9.2, which of course means my shiny scala 2.10.1 project reacts violently whenever they are used under normal circumstances. we get around this with OSGi trickery and java glue code between our library and our project. Of course, this would be unnecessary if scala didn't break backwards compatibility every major version, but what are you gonna do.

someone with more knowledge of scala's internals could address this better, but i think breaking backwards compatibility a lot is unavoidable given scala's design

compiled scala is missing some of the useful info from the source code, because the jvm is a type-erasing crazy bastard, and the java compiler does a lot of fancy footwork to remain backwards compatible. scala will stuff some of the type data back into the binaries with Manifest classes, but the contents of a Manifest can change from version to version.

the alternative is to be like java and refuse to change the jvm ever, pushing as much implementation of new features as possible into the compiler. i think that is worse, even if it makes it easier to manage libraries.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Condiv posted:

so, I have to wonder if there's a language that is anywhere near as binary incompatible with itself as Scala is.

oh i just thought of a language example: C++

have fun compiling an msvc 5 codebase with msvc 6

or, on the gnu side, mixing libstdc++ 5 and libstdc++ 6. hell i think the gnu c++ abi might change on every point release

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

use emacs, package-install python-mode, C-c ! will open a shell, C-c | will execute a selected region in the shell. C-c C-c will execute the whole buffer in the shell.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 26, 2013

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Shaggar posted:

maybe we're getting terms mixed up cause im talking auto complete like

Butt butt = new *press control space here and get list of Butt constructors*

or butt.f*press control space here to get list of methods starting w/ f like fart() or fondle()*

that said if you do your types right it is almost like watching the editor write all the code, since things usually just fall into place

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IPython supposedly has some good stuff ("%paste")

also it has nifty autocomplete/history functionality, while we're on the subject

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

or, on the gnu side, mixing libstdc++ 5 and libstdc++ 6. hell i think the gnu c++ abi might change on every point release

at least I'm not alone

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

someone with more knowledge of scala's internals could address this better, but i think breaking backwards compatibility a lot is unavoidable given scala's design

compiled scala is missing some of the useful info from the source code, because the jvm is a type-erasing crazy bastard, and the java compiler does a lot of fancy footwork to remain backwards compatible. scala will stuff some of the type data back into the binaries with Manifest classes, but the contents of a Manifest can change from version to version.

the alternative is to be like java and refuse to change the jvm ever, pushing as much implementation of new features as possible into the compiler. i think that is worse, even if it makes it easier to manage libraries.

yeah, I prefer scala's way over java, and that most libraries will advance to better paradigms as soon as they appear instead of hanging back for old users (see: everything apache), but when you absolutely have to deal with a library that hung back, it becomes a pain in your rear end.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

compiling source using different stls isn't a huge problem, it's when you have precompiled objects that are expecting to pass stl data structures back and forth that everything goes wrong.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

that said if you do your types right it is almost like watching the editor write all the code, since things usually just fall into place
that said if you've got enough information about what the project is supposed to do elsewhere your editor can poo poo out code, since that's just boilerplate

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
eclipse is a bunch of turds in the shape of a butt that shits out more turds

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
i use SublimeClang with ST2

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Condiv posted:

so, I have to wonder if there's a language that is anywhere near as binary incompatible with itself as Scala is.
Haskell

Object code and shared libraries built from Haskell source have their ABI version set to essentially SHA1(signatures of all public and private declarations from entire dependency tree). Dynamic linking is implemented in the compiler but is essentially worthless, because even the most minor change to a library causes the ABI to change and all executables to refuse to load the new .so file.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Haskell

Object code and shared libraries built from Haskell source have their ABI version set to essentially SHA1(signatures of all public and private declarations from entire dependency tree). Dynamic linking is implemented in the compiler but is essentially worthless, because even the most minor change to a library causes the ABI to change and all executables to refuse to load the new .so file.

yeah it's one of my least favorite things about the language

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

[trigger warning: david pollack]

they're at least showing awareness of the problem and recent minor point releases of the compiler are binary compatible with previous releases (ie 2.10.1 is backward compatible with 2.10.0)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jonny 290 posted:

eclipse autocomplete works good in EPIC too! :)

i tried loading this up the other day just to see what it was like

jesus christ it's a god drat over complicated mess. maybe the debugger is worth it, but command line debugging ain't so bad i need to run eclipse to write a perl

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
[x] editor chat
[x] tabs vs spaces
[x] braces
[x] autocomplete
[x] c++ suffering
[x] non java jvm languages are neat and terrible
[x] shaggar
[x] tbc

i think we can wrap it up now guys

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

does anyone except google truly believe programming is not an artistic endeavor?

it's machine generated:ssh:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

patterns are great

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

[x] editor chat
[x] tabs vs spaces
[x] braces
[x] autocomplete
[x] c++ suffering
[x] shaggar
[x] tbc

hey tef how are the prices in edinburgh on polish?

for your cross

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

i was hoping it would follow the colors in the google logo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EVGA Longoria posted:

i tried loading this up the other day just to see what it was like

jesus christ it's a god drat over complicated mess. maybe the debugger is worth it, but command line debugging ain't so bad i need to run eclipse to write a perl

i am still the fuckin' kung fu master of perl -d and use it on the reg on top of this. all of my poo poo is run remotely anyways and i cant set up the debugger hooks.

i use eclipse for it cause i manage the projects there and it sorts it out with the git repo as well. and also i'm using it as a way to get slick with eclipse that way when it's java time i already know my IDE somewhat

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

tef posted:

[x] editor chat
[x] tabs vs spaces
[x] braces
[x] autocomplete
[x] c++ suffering
[x] shaggar
[x] tbc

don't you know how to drive github you have to do "- [x]" to make a checkboxz

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

patterns are great

except for singleton

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tef posted:

[x] editor chat
[x] tabs vs spaces
[x] braces
[x] autocomplete
[x] c++ suffering
[x] shaggar
[x] tbc

[x] static vs. dynamic
[x] hungarian notation
[x] your source control sucks
[x] threads vs. processes vs. CPS
[x] HN is terrible
[x] why garbage collection is a bad / the best thing
[x] functional vs OO

Topics I am not sure we have covered:

[ ] what is an object anyway?
[ ] best type of inheritance (traits?)
[ ] design patterns are the best / the worst
[ ] camel_case

There might also be place for which OS is the best OS to develop stuff on, or package management debates too.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

[ ] what is an object anyway?

does anybody really know what time it is?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

[ ] best type of inheritance (traits?)

The kind that means you don't have to work anymore.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

MononcQc posted:

[ ] camel_case

one time i saw haskell code with identifiers'like'this and i regularly use a thing called "isn't"

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jonny 290 posted:

i am still the fuckin' kung fu master of perl -d and use it on the reg on top of this. all of my poo poo is run remotely anyways and i cant set up the debugger hooks.

i use eclipse for it cause i manage the projects there and it sorts it out with the git repo as well. and also i'm using it as a way to get slick with eclipse that way when it's java time i already know my IDE somewhat

i guess that's reasonable, but drat man, i've never been able to get eclipse running in any reasonable manner

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EVGA Longoria posted:

i guess that's reasonable, but drat man, i've never been able to get eclipse running in any reasonable manner

i back up my whole eclipse folder b/c it shits the bed regularly but there's no installer, you just unzip it and start mangling things, so i pick right back up where i left off p much

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

prefect posted:

http://www.csscript.net/

i'm hoping i can use this to get my team away from an attempted powershell takeover

oh hey it's what powershell should have been neat

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

prefect posted:

http://www.csscript.net/

i'm hoping i can use this to get my team away from an attempted powershell takeover

that link looks too much like css script

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

use java or c# instead

why