Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I only know because I had access to an M3 with the CSL intake for a while. :) Dat intake noise.

I'm surprised that this is even possible. I know this is somewhat on a tangent here but is it really as simple as just throwing the intake on the regular S54 and it all works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

Z3n posted:

It'd probably work but I'd just buy a new AGM type battery and be done with it.

Seconding, I accidentally left my AGM off the charger for around 3 months and it cranked up in sub-40 temps like nothing when I did a test start. If you live anywhere hot, it's worth the extra bucks to not have to worry about electrolyte levels as well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

I'm surprised that this is even possible. I know this is somewhat on a tangent here but is it really as simple as just throwing the intake on the regular S54 and it all works?

No, they usually add an AIT sensor and do an 'alpha-n' tune. It's not the best thing in the world but still.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

Z3n posted:

It'd probably work but I'd just buy a new AGM type battery and be done with it.

Yeah, that's probably where I'm going to end up. I'm thinking about selling it so cheaper is probably better until I figure out if I'm keeping it. It's one of those bikes that's awesome to look at and awesome on a twisty road but I'm tall enough that it's no fun after about an hour. The 916 was always the ultimate bike to me and I'm glad I've owned it but I honestly prefer the 900 for 90% of my riding. It's a real pity since the 998 has been extremely reliable and with the testastretta isn't really much harder to maintain and in some respects is cheaper to keep going than the 2V.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So my girlfriend wants to learn to ride. We're looking for MSF courses, but it seems like everything has a weekday with classes 5:45-11pm, then two mornings (weekday or weekend) of riding practice. Several months back, though, she saw a Living Social deal for the course, and one of them was a women-only class that did everything on weekends.

Does anyone in the Bay Area know of a place with classes like that? Women-only would be nice, but I think her main preference is to do everything on weekends rather than have that late-night weekday class.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pham Nuwen posted:

So my girlfriend wants to learn to ride. We're looking for MSF courses, but it seems like everything has a weekday with classes 5:45-11pm, then two mornings (weekday or weekend) of riding practice. Several months back, though, she saw a Living Social deal for the course, and one of them was a women-only class that did everything on weekends.

Does anyone in the Bay Area know of a place with classes like that? Women-only would be nice, but I think her main preference is to do everything on weekends rather than have that late-night weekday class.

Check the BARF forums...lots of ridercoaches on there.

Bruinator posted:

Yeah, that's probably where I'm going to end up. I'm thinking about selling it so cheaper is probably better until I figure out if I'm keeping it. It's one of those bikes that's awesome to look at and awesome on a twisty road but I'm tall enough that it's no fun after about an hour. The 916 was always the ultimate bike to me and I'm glad I've owned it but I honestly prefer the 900 for 90% of my riding. It's a real pity since the 998 has been extremely reliable and with the testastretta isn't really much harder to maintain and in some respects is cheaper to keep going than the 2V.

You can get a nice AGM battery from batteries plus (if you have any of those around) for around 60-80 bucks. Plus it firing right up is always good for selling.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I've been using my '04 636 now and then over the past couple months (when roads are clear, etc). Now I have something going on with my temperature sensor/output. I took the bike out yesterday and warmed the bike up to 165 (puttering around slowly, RPMs low), and I then opened it up on the highway. I then noticed that the temperature went back to blank ("---"). I pulled off the highway and slowed down, and it started rising again, but stayed around 130-140 (city riding, 15-25~ mph). Whenever I went above 30-40+ mph, it'd go colder and then back to blank ("----").

I turned off the bike at my house for a while, and went back to it for another ride. Same issue.

What is the problem here? Is my temp gauge going bad? Or is something loose?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

the walkin dude posted:

I've been using my '04 636 now and then over the past couple months (when roads are clear, etc). Now I have something going on with my temperature sensor/output. I took the bike out yesterday and warmed the bike up to 165 (puttering around slowly, RPMs low), and I then opened it up on the highway. I then noticed that the temperature went back to blank ("---"). I pulled off the highway and slowed down, and it started rising again, but stayed around 130-140 (city riding, 15-25~ mph). Whenever I went above 30-40+ mph, it'd go colder and then back to blank ("----").

I turned off the bike at my house for a while, and went back to it for another ride. Same issue.

Is it cold where you're at? Could the temp actually just be dropping when you push all that extra cold air through your radiator?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I've seen temp drop by a few degrees when you get out and going but I don't think there's any way it's dropping it 65 degrees consistently while it's running at highway speeds. Especially after it heat soaks in the driveway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

the walkin dude posted:

Sounds like the vibes or otherwise are affecting the sensor. Is there a bunch of corrosion or other junk on the sensor? Check for frayed wires and other obvious signs of neglect, otherwise could be a bad sensor.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

Is your fan stuck on? does it only do it when you're cruising in a high gear?
I can barely keep my car temp gauge 1/4 of the way up driving fast in top gear in the cold weather we've been having lately. you could cover part of the radiator with card and take it for a spin and see if the temp stays up.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
It's cold here, but it was 45ish degrees yesterday. My Ninja's naked. It behaved fine before, but this is new. I'll have to check for corrosion. No idea about the fan (deaf). And even when I revved it high and long on the highway, the temperature stayed blank. It's as if the external wind/temperature is affecting the sensor directly.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

My bike won't start, so I grabbed my multimeter and measured the voltage:

key off: 11.8V
key on: 11.7V

I have no idea if it's the battery or if it's something else.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Anything under about 12.8? is a dead battery. Some bikes won't even cut in the starter if voltage is in the 11's. Throw the battery on a charger or tender, or try jumping it.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Replaced the battery, it started fine but now it doesn't even start at all. I can bump-start it though!

A friend of mine says that it's probably the brushes in the starter motor. Would he be about right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's probably something in the starter system, yes, though not necessarily the brushes. When you press the starter button can you hear the relay clicking? Does the motor move at all?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Yeah, the relay clicks but the motor doesn't turn over at all.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
If you have the old battery, the motor terminals are accessible and you have some jumper cables you can touch them to the motor terminals directly to see if it turns over.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Correction: EFI with feedback-based mapping are less immediate than carbs. You can totally set up an EFI system to work entirely based on throttle position and RPM and it will be every bit as immediate as a carb - they're just not set up that way (outside of open-loop operation before the O2 sensor warms up), and so most EFI systems operate in closed-loop feedback mode, where they add fuel based on the feedback from the O2 sensor and/or the AFM/MAF sensor, for better emissions.

This. The ease of tweaking is another big plus to EFI, all I have to do is plug it in, change a couple of settings and then go.

The 690 series is plagued by jerky throttle from idle, all because it leans out like gently caress on idle to meet emissions targets and get the cat up to temperature quickly. Fortunately this is fixed with a £30 USB cable and a few minutes changing the open/closed loop transition settings. You don't even have to take anything apart, the diagnostic connector is right there under the seat. The KTMs I've ridden with an FCR (450SX-F, a 609 and a 300EXC) were properly set up by competitive off road / hill climb guys. In throttle feel, the 450 (which was probably the best set up carbed bike I've ever ridden) was only just about as good as my 690.

I really hope direct injection two strokes become A Thing in the coming years :getin:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 28, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really hope ANY two strokes become a thing.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really hope ANY two strokes become a thing.

Here's your thing. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDTPHw6T864

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

the walkin dude posted:

It could be vibration and a bad sensor or connector. Does the gauge cut out if you rev the bike in neutral? It could also be a stuck thermostat. Tape off half the radiator and get on the highway, if the temp improves that's your problem.(Don't get stuck in traffic)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

This is killing me, I'm on campus and I don't have any headphones with me. I'm sure the video isn't nearly as good as the audio.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Typical. Open pipes on a two stroke :golfclap:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
It looks like I could save $50 a month if I put my bike down as a ZZR1400 instead of a ZX14 on my insurance. Its technically the exact same bike, one is just the name they use in the UK. Is this a bad idea?

Edit: just realized they ask for the VIN anyway and will probably force me to select the model from that. My title has the model as "X4A" which just confuses me more.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 28, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Love the exhaust pipes moving or flexing when he revs it. It's likely just loose but I'm going to imagine it's from the power.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
I keep reading that cameras are illegal on the Nurburgring, but I also read that you can rent one officially from them and it's ok. Does anyone know if this is still possible? Taking a trip there in June and it would be a shame to not film a lap or two.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The number of videos make me :raise: at them being forbidden (I really doubt "illegal"). If so, they certainly don't enforce it much.

hayden. posted:

Edit: just realized they ask for the VIN anyway and will probably force me to select the model from that. My title has the model as "X4A" which just confuses me more.

Yeah, once you give them your VIN you're not going to have a lot of say in the matter. Asking for the model nowadays or more or less just as a quoting tool in my experience.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

slidebite posted:

The number of videos make me :raise: at them being forbidden (I really doubt "illegal"). If so, they certainly don't enforce it much.

Yeah that was what was confusing me. I saw some people talking about how they stop down the road a bit and pop them on, then take them off later. I don't know. I figure if I was going to try that it'd be last lap, in case. But otherwise I would want to rent if possible. I guess I will know when I get there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hayden. posted:

It looks like I could save $50 a month if I put my bike down as a ZZR1400 instead of a ZX14 on my insurance. Its technically the exact same bike, one is just the name they use in the UK. Is this a bad idea?

Are you sure that the ZZR isnt the overseas designation for the connie 14?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Z3n posted:

It's not, the ZZR1400 and ZX14 are the same bike just different badging.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Z3n posted:

Nah same bike. My insurance was weird about it too- there was no "ZX-14R" in their system - but they had a ZZR1400. The VIN number came up as ZZR1400...OK. Fine.

I get my insurance card and it says: "ZX1400 NINJA ZX 14R" so I have no idea why they need so many names for the same bike. Should have just called it Kawasaki Notabusa and been done with it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Geico takes the VIN from my Speed Triple and insists it's a Street. They also insist there's no price difference between the two. This makes no sense.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Snowdens Secret posted:

Geico takes the VIN from my Speed Triple and insists it's a Street. They also insist there's no price difference between the two. This makes no sense.

Haha, sounds like a win in my book...

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
It's a win until you have to claim and they deem it to be a write off, at least over here the speed is $4,000 more expensive.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

theperminator posted:

It's a win until you have to claim and they deem it to be a write off, at least over here the speed is $4,000 more expensive.

Exactly my worry. Twice now they've sent me STR TRIPL insurance cards and I have to bitch to get SPD TRIPL ones instead. Triumph has verified the VIN is right, it's in the right range etc but somewhere between them and Geico something got a bit of English put on it.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
A friend stored his '05 SV without fuel stabilizer and a 3/4th full tank. Would it be good to add some every refill for the first few times of the season? If not, is there anything else?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fuel stabilizer doesn't do anything if you put it in after the gas has had a chance to turn to varnish and absorb water. If the bike starts and runs, great, just run through a couple of tanks of fresh gas (no stabilizer) and it'll clear out any deposits that might have formed. If the bike won't run, clean the carbs. injectors?

Realistically it's probably fine though, at worst it'll run a little rough until you get the old gas burnt through and then be back to normal. I think people overestimate how quickly gas goes "bad".

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Yeah, that's what I also thought. A quick look at the STA-BIL website says otherwise, though. They even go as far as saying you should add it to every fill up.

What's up with that?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
There's nothing wrong with adding something that doesn't harm the engine, and contains things that stop the fuel from polymerizing. And they want to make moeny. The advice isn't "bad" just not necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

internet inc posted:

A friend stored his '05 SV without fuel stabilizer and a 3/4th full tank. Would it be good to add some every refill for the first few times of the season? If not, is there anything else?

My winter storage routine is:

1) Park bike.
2) Remove key.

The worst trouble I've had after the long sleep is a dead battery once. Winterization doesn't hurt, but it sure as hell ain't required in any capacity.