Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

How much do manual motorcycle tire machines cost? Tire irons are great and all but I'd be willing to spend a premium for the convenience of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

https://vimeo.com/62376248

We have ignition. Don't worry, the bike wasn't completely cold. Only poo poo left is the bodywork, coolant bottle rigging because I broke the stock one (http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21146&highlight=overflow), front sprocket change, and to upload the 2009 675 tune that I converted to the 2006 ECU format by copypasta'ing the tables.

Time to go to work, I'll finish it tonight.

I love the puff of oil smoke. Rings haven't seated in awhile.

Xovaan posted:

How much do manual motorcycle tire machines cost? Tire irons are great and all but I'd be willing to spend a premium for the convenience of one.

2k, give or take.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
lol2k

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Motorcycle-Tire-Changers-s/423.htm

Dunno about this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-tire-changer-69686.html

Up to 20" http://www.harborfreight.com/semiautomatic-tire-changer-67517.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
drat they've gotten cheaper since I last checked. Progress!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

https://vimeo.com/62376248

We have ignition. Don't worry, the bike wasn't completely cold. Only poo poo left is the bodywork, coolant bottle rigging because I broke the stock one (http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21146&highlight=overflow), front sprocket change, and to upload the 2009 675 tune that I converted to the 2006 ECU format by copypasta'ing the tables.

Time to go to work, I'll finish it tonight.

Epic, had any luck with your tune?

I just watched your video of the engine making GBS threads itself, jesus I would've shat myself or been thrown off.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Helped my buddy and mechanic change the fork seals on a GL1200. Pretty painless with two people. Unless you forget about the air suspension holes in the tubes and spill oil all over your table.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

drat they've gotten cheaper since I last checked. Progress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOlFE_JHCqQ

Something like this seems super legit too! Not bad for ~$500 shipped

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Xovaan posted:

Something like this seems super legit too! Not bad for ~$500 shipped
I use the big fancy air/electric ones at work, and I used those more simple mechanical bar ones like that in school, and it seemed to me like you could get the job done pretty well with either one. With some practice.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You can also change tires just as easily with a set of spoons and a wheel stand. Go on youtube and watch the tutorials from guys that are good at it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Yeah it took longer to get the wheels off the bike than to get the new tires mounted.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
My local place charges £5 a tyre for fitting and balancing, (and an extra fiver each if they have to take the wheels off the bike) or free if you buy the tyres through them - are American places so much more expensive (or are you changing tyres so often) that these sort of things start to look attractive, or is it just a desire to be able to do everything yourselves?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The nearest place is $46 per rim to change the tire, and that's if you bring your own.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah it's pretty expensive now. When I move down south again, I'm gonna have two other people in my house with motorcycles that will need tire changes, so it makes sense for me to get a machine. I've done the manual way several times now and it's a pain in the rear end. Having even a $50 harbor freight kit would save me tons of trouble.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I paid $70-something the last time I needed an inner tube replaced.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I paid $80 per wheel for my most recent set of tires, including balancing. That was bringing the bike in to the shop; if the wheel had been loose, it would have been like $30 per. It's pretty expensive...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
drat, my guy charges $35 if you just take the bike in. $5 if you bring the wheels. He also beats online prices for the tires. I'm so glad I found a decent mechanic in my area.

I bought some of the levers from rideitmoto.com. I'm really impressed with the quality. They had a promotion going for free grips and I didn't think they'd be worth using, but I really liked them and went ahead and installed them. So far I've done about 90 miles on them and I'd put them on par with CRG as far as quality goes. For $75 shipped I couldn't really ask for more. I ordered them Sunday night and had them Friday, so shipping was quick and included tracking.

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 23, 2013

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

drat, my guy charges $35 if you just take the bike in. $5 if you bring the wheels. He also beats online prices for the tires. I'm so glad I found a decent mechanic in my area.

I bought some of the levers from rideitmoto.com. I'm really impressed with the quality. They had a promotion going for free grips and I didn't think they'd be worth using, but I really liked them and went ahead and installed them. So far I've done about 90 miles on them and I'd put them on par with CRG as far as quality goes. For $75 shipped I couldn't really ask for more. I ordered them Sunday night and had them Friday, so shipping was quick and included tracking.

Maybe its not a factor where you're riding but those grips look like they'd freeze your hands in cold weather, just using the levers in winter makes my fingers cold touching the metal through my gloves. I used to tape them up in winter back when I had a half hour commute.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

echomadman posted:

Maybe its not a factor where you're riding but those grips look like they'd freeze your hands in cold weather, just using the levers in winter makes my fingers cold touching the metal through my gloves. I used to tape them up in winter back when I had a half hour commute.

Marfan syndrome.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

echomadman posted:

Central coast isn't known for being to cold. I doubt I'll have any issue with it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

KARMA! posted:

Marfan syndrome.

Could be, could also be aluminiums awesome heat sinking powers and wet gloves in winter.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Over the past few months I've done a bunch of poo poo to my $200 SV, including:

- new freeze plugs (the reason why it was a cheapo find)
- replaced calipers
- installed stock naked SV headlight
- wired up a Vapor
- new chain, fluids, spark plugs, etc.
- replaced wiring harness
- cleaned the poo poo out of the carbs
- replaced pretty much half the bike that was missing; subframe, rear plastics, tail light, rearsets, clutch actuator, chain slider and guard and on and on and on

My plate holder comes in Monday, kind of unintentionally symbolic of it being ready to go, I think.

Next on the list is cleaning off the lovely rattle-can job on the frame and fork legs. Thankfully it wasn't prepped, so the stuff is just flaking off. I'm thinking of using aircraft stripper to get rid of it instead of going to town with a scrub pad, but I've never used it before, and I actually don't know if it's safe to use on those things. Confirm/deny.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It'll probably screw up the clearcoat. I'd just scrub it off.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Figures, at least it isn't well bonded at all.

Later to come is a paint job, and I'm going with Gulf. Trite, maybe, but I've always wanted to own something in those colors :toot:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gulf colors are the best.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Geirskogul posted:

I've said this before, but am I the only goddamned motherfucker who carries a small fire extinguisher on every vehicle I'm riding that's powered by the explosions of a refined petroleum? They're pretty small and can be strapped almost anywhere, even on a faired motorcycle. One of those could have stopped that fire back when it was simply a complete rewire and some new fairings and before it became a complete write-off. Look at this poo poo. It's only like :20bux: Still too big? BAM,, motherfucker.

I don't think either can fit under my Bandit's seat. Any smaller alternatives? Maybe this? http://www.aerostich.com/hawk-fire-extinguishers.html

EDIT: I'd also want to fit a small air compressor under there as well. Is there a goto one?

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 24, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ziploc posted:

I don't think either can fit under my Bandit's seat. Any smaller alternatives? Maybe this? http://www.aerostich.com/hawk-fire-extinguishers.html

EDIT: I'd also want to fit a small air compressor under there as well. Is there a goto one?

I think there's a SLIME branded compressor people like. They usually take it out of its housing to save space.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

echomadman posted:

Could be, could also be aluminiums awesome heat sinking powers and wet gloves in winter.

I rode with those grips yesterday in mid 30's and they were fine. Yeah my hands were cold, but that's because it was 30 and said grips are not heated. They don't feel any different from rubber through typical winter gloves?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Somehow managed to break a head bolt while torquing it. Shouldn't be hard to extract, the torque spec is only 18 ft/lb and I hadn't even reached that, plus I oiled the threads before I installed them. I'll pick up some left-hand drill bits this week and have at next weekend.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Commodore_64 posted:

I would quite recommend soda blasting those cases before your planned polishing. All it takes is a siphon type gun, a beefy air compressor, and a bunch of blasting soda. It works wonders.

So, I must thank you for this suggestion. After some serious soul-searching the other day while trying to clean the burnt oil off my engine parts with paint thinner and rags, I decided that the back corner of our wood shop, which is full of sawdust anyway and has a central vacuum, would probably be okay to blast some small parts in. I picked up a siphon gun at Harbor Freight along with 50 pounds of soda, set up with a respirator and goggles, and...wow. I'm never cleaning anything bigger than my hand the old way again. Sure, the wood shop looked like Scarface's penthouse after a bad windstorm after I was finished, but it sweeps up, and I cannot believe how well that stuff strips off old oil and grease. Four hours of blasting and I went from most of the parts looking like this:

to this:

No polishing, no scrubbing, just rinse off the soda and dry it. (it's just stacked back together to see what it looked like...there's nothing inside)

I was planning to go in and brighten up the fins with a scotchbrite but who needs that any more? This looks exactly the way I want it to...showing its age and miles, but taken care of. I think I'll just take a buffing wheel and shine up a few things here and there, right over the patina. Totally happy with how this turned out. And my brain cells thank you for putting me on to something completely non-toxic and non-odorous instead of paint thinner. Even a faceful of blasting soda is way more pleasant than that.

In other news, here is the state of my engine right now (sorry about the blur):

Aside from those random gasket pieces I still need to razor off, I am officially done disassembling and cleaning the engine! Everything is in good condition once you get down below the pistons -- the oil filter was basically loaded with glitter, but it must have done its job because there was surprisingly little gunk in the oil pan considering the size of the hole in the piston, and the crank and transmission both operate beautifully. So, while I still need a few more parts and am going to send the cylinders out for boring tomorrow, it's all reconstruction from here out. :woop:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 25, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

stevobob posted:

Somehow managed to break a head bolt while torquing it. Shouldn't be hard to extract, the torque spec is only 18 ft/lb and I hadn't even reached that, plus I oiled the threads before I installed them. I'll pick up some left-hand drill bits this week and have at next weekend.

Did you buy new bolts? One time use only on those...

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

BlackMK4 posted:

Did you buy new bolts? One time use only on those...

I did. Three of the four head bolt holes have alignment dowels and one of those three has a rubber tube o-ring and a metal collar that sits on the o-ring, and I didn't notice when disassembling but the metal collar stuck in the head. I still didn't notice during reassembly and doubled them up, one ended up cock-eyed and snap goes the bolt.

So basically it was my own drat fault for rushing. :saddowns:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

wallaka posted:

Yup.

Managed to pinch the tube, hooray!

did you partially inflate the tube before installing it? it makes life a lot easier, especially getting the valve stem through.

protip: slide the spoon back and forth, and wiggle it a little to make sure it's ONLY grabbing the rim of the wheel, not the tube too.

Xovaan posted:

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/Articles.asp?ID=257

get this. it's been invaluable to me so far.

M42 posted:

The nearest place is $46 per rim to change the tire, and that's if you bring your own.

drat! We charge $20/wheel off and $40 front, $50 rear +$5 for tubes
Also +$15 if you neglect to tell us that you used tire slime or fix a flat.
That poo poo is impossible to clean up.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 25, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Today I decided to fix my broken speedo pickup.

The little tabs on the magnetic sleeve which fit into the slots on the wheel and impart motion had broken off due to unknown reasons.

So I quite literally just superglued the magnetic sleeve to the wheel bearing seal. It works now, hopefully for long enough to sell the bike. It's next to impossible to find a replacement because they don't seem to fail very often.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Slavvy posted:

So I quite literally just superglued the magnetic sleeve to the wheel bearing seal. It works now, hopefully for long enough to sell the bike. It's next to impossible to find a replacement because they don't seem to fail very often.

Looks pretty identical to the speedo pickup I replaced on my SV650. Have you checked bikebandit, ebay or one of the other sites? I had no trouble finding one.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hooked up a charging socket with built in charge meter. Fits neatly around the tool bag, too. Pleasantly surprised that the battery seems to have done well during the winter without a trickle charger hooked up, since I have no mains near my parking spot.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 27, 2013

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
uhh, is this bad?

new one in

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Joined the AMA, that sort of counts.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I got her back from winter storage and suddenly I am no longer trolling craigslist anymore :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Since I put the leaner race map on the Buell, I've been getting some ping. I went online, looked for solutions, compiled them into a checklist, and started checking them off. Last night:

Pulled old spark plugs. They were beat up, carbon-encrusted, and a heat range too hot. The rear one is a chore to get to with the rear head all boxed in. Going to put new 9EIX plugs in after double checking my work with the timing while the plugs are out.

I've devised a better system for checking the timing. Instead of bumping the engine via the rear wheel, I am going to remove the idler pulley to slack the belt and manipulate the drive pulley while the spark plugs are out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Switched out the gas tank and fairing for black ones, also cleaned the shocks because they were nasty. All I need to do now is sand and spray the crash bars and the mudguard... but that involves removing the front wheel and I don't own a stand. :downs:

Sock Weasel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 30, 2013