Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
http://www.hartmontcandles.com/Home.page

This is a local scented candle company, though it looks like they do sell online too which is why I'm linking it. They do the absolute best candles I've ever smelled, and yeah, I'm counting stuff by Yankee Candle. They've got a fresh-cut grass that is the best spring-like pick-me-up in the winter, and their root beer smells absolutely, 100% just like root beer right down to the bubbles. They also have neat wooden wicks that give the flame a nice subtle crackle too. I love them and I want another root beer candle right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

neongrey posted:

http://www.hartmontcandles.com/Home.page

This is a local scented candle company, though it looks like they do sell online too which is why I'm linking it. They do the absolute best candles I've ever smelled, and yeah, I'm counting stuff by Yankee Candle. They've got a fresh-cut grass that is the best spring-like pick-me-up in the winter, and their root beer smells absolutely, 100% just like root beer right down to the bubbles. They also have neat wooden wicks that give the flame a nice subtle crackle too. I love them and I want another root beer candle right now.

I'm curious how the "monkey farts " smell.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Off the top of my head it's a banana/nut sort of scent. Really I recommend everything they have.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Pigasus posted:

Recommendations for a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 case would also be appreciated!

Seconding the Diztronic case.

I had an Elago slim one at first, but the corners were left unprotected.

VERY happy with the Diztronic.

pelao
Apr 21, 2010

heiden posted:

Jesus Christ, the Waterpick Flosser costs 130 USD in Germany, more than twice of its price in the US, gently caress european markups :(

Its AU$220 here. US$228. Yeah.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Doghouse posted:

Thought I'd ask again for a pillow recommendation for a side sleeper.
When I was shopping for a new pillow, this thread recommended the Iso Cool contoured pillow and it's worked pretty well for me.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Doghouse posted:

Thought I'd ask again for a pillow recommendation for a side sleeper.

Also, we had these terrible carpet stains in our new apartment (we did a lease transfer so the landlord didn't have it cleaned or replaced) and we used Resolve carpet cleaner. It was a miracle, all the stains are gone. Highly recommended. I think we used the "triple oxi clean" version or something.

What's your budget :)

As a side sleeper myself, with fairly broad shoulders, I've been on a quest for a pillow that is thick enough/firm enough for over a year. My wife got me a gift certificate for Christmas and I went here and got one custom fit: http://www.sleepnumber.com/eng/sleepNumber/pillowFit.cfm?cm_sp=Pillow+Launch-_-Pillows+Category+Carousel-_-PillowFit

Unfortunately it ended up being ~$120, but since it was a gift, it made the price tag easier to swallow. And even after all that, I'd still say it's not perfect, but its as close as I've gotten.

If that's too expensive, I had this previous to the custom one and it was "good", again just not thick enough for me.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Surec posted:

When I was shopping for a new pillow, this thread recommended the Iso Cool contoured pillow and it's worked pretty well for me.

Seconding this. I bought the same on advice of this thread & I like it pretty well. It's oddly heavy, but that's not really a big deal. The memory foam makes it easy to get comfortable from a variety of angles/positions.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I need a recommendation for some easy-to-assemble shelves that you can fold and hang clothes in. Basically we're moving to a new apartment and losing a ton of closet space, and are going to have to make a "closet" in our bedroom. Anyone have any experience with this situation? What did you end up doing?

Would prefer sleek/contemporary styling but it's not a dealbreaker.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I'm looking for some interesting stuff for my house. I'd like a set of salt and pepper shakers and a set of tea/coffee/sugar jars.

I like colourful stuff and things that look like other things - so I saw a pair of salt/pepper shakers that were shaped like chess pieces, that kind of thing is cool.

Ideally I'd like them to be available in the UK but it's not essential.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have good recommendations for routers. I currently have this one: Netgear WNR3500L N300 Gigabit Wireless Router - the wired works fine generally, but the wireless chokes and dies fairly often. I have a lot of devices on the wireless and so does my geek boyfriend so I think I just need something fairly heavy duty that can handle having a crapton of devices.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

clockwork automaton posted:

Does anyone have good recommendations for routers. I currently have this one: Netgear WNR3500L N300 Gigabit Wireless Router - the wired works fine generally, but the wireless chokes and dies fairly often. I have a lot of devices on the wireless and so does my geek boyfriend so I think I just need something fairly heavy duty that can handle having a crapton of devices.

This thread in SHSC has a bunch of recommendations for different price points:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

marshmallard posted:

I'm looking for some interesting stuff for my house. I'd like a set of salt and pepper shakers and a set of tea/coffee/sugar jars.

I like colourful stuff and things that look like other things - so I saw a pair of salt/pepper shakers that were shaped like chess pieces, that kind of thing is cool.

Honestly, the best place for things like this are thrift stores and antique malls. I buy all my dishes like coffee mugs, tea cups, plates and bowls, from Goodwill and other thrift marts. There's always a variety from fun, colorful, to "nice" looking.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Droid Washington posted:

Honestly, the best place for things like this are thrift stores and antique malls. I buy all my dishes like coffee mugs, tea cups, plates and bowls, from Goodwill and other thrift marts. There's always a variety from fun, colorful, to "nice" looking.

I don't want second-hand ones, though. This is probably because I'm British - we don't have thrift shops here. We do have charity shops, but everything in them is fairly grotty and smells bad. Antique shops exist obviously but I didn't really want an antique set, just something cool.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

marshmallard posted:

Browse around the kitchen and home sections of fab.com

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

marshmallard posted:

http://www.amazon.com/STAR-WARS-R2-D2-Pepper-Sesami/dp/B0012Z5ICW

Bonefish
Jul 29, 2008
So I really loved the watch my ex gave me right before we broke up, but it needed some fixing, so we sent it back to the place in Colorado for fixing, I don't think I'll ever see it again, and even if I did, I am not sure if I can deal with that symbolism right now. So I need a new watch. I'm a guy with skinny wrists, and I like minimalism. I would go up to 100 bucks, got anything for me to check out?

Bonefish has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Mar 25, 2013

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bonefish posted:

So I really loved the watch my ex gave me right before we broke up, but it needed some fixing, so we sent it back to the place in Colorado for fixing, I don't think I'll ever see it again, and even if I did, I am not sure if I can deal with that symbolism right now. So I need a new watch. I'm a guy with skinny wrists, and I like minimalism. I would go up to 100 bucks, got anything for me to check out?

Peruse through the Watch Megathread. I am sure you will find something that suits you.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm still waiting on a competitor to sonos. Love the idea, just can't justify the price. Someone should just make a raspberry pi powered "host" box that just sits on your wifi as a sonos node (or open source equivilent) and allows whatever software to control it. Could even have a built in (modest) amp. Couldn't be that expensive, damnit!

Anyway, I have a product to recommend to a small subset of goons. If anyone heats their homes with wood or wood pellets, I bought this ash vaccuum. Most ash vacuums are 2-4x the price, but given the positive reviews on amazon I took a shot.

Compared to the small shop vac with a wet tshirt over the exhaust port to catch the fine dust I was using, it is well worth the $80-90. Zero dust comes out of the exhaust port and the filter on the thing is really sturdy. I've been using it about a month and I just emptied it for the first time, good capacity and the filter worked perfectly. Suction is not as good as a shop vac but it doesn't need to be for sucking up ash. Love this thing, wish I would have bought it a long time ago.

This is super reverent to my interests, thanks!

To keep up the wood theme, this Splitting Hatchet is pretty decent, but with the caveat that you are going to want to rehang it to get a longer handle.

The head is a very thich wedge and really busts wood apart with little effort. No idea what the steel is but it holds and edge well and doesn't need to really be sharp to work well.

This is the only flaw, the jackass eye for the haft:

It makes re hanging it a pain but the hatchet works so well it is worth it.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
For affordable minimalist watches, brands like Skagen, Braun and Uniform Wares come to mind.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I'm looking for some half-decent headphones for use with at home with my computer. I'm slightly hearing impaired, so sound quality doesn't have to be top notch, but there are three major items they must fulfill.
  • They must be semi-open. I need to be able to hear things happening in the background when I'm watching a show on Netflix and the missus asks me a question.
  • They must be comfortable to wear for hours on end. Late-night gaming and Netflix binges are no fun when your ears hurt from bad headphones.
  • They must be comfortable to wear with glasses. The last and most important issue all the headphones I've owned. It's no fun having nice sound if your spectacles are being slowly pushed into the sides of your head.

Currently I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD 415, which I would love if they didn't drop the ball om issue #3. :(
I hope the price could be on the lower end of the scale, but I'd go up to ~$100 if there's something truly amazing available (Kindly remember my impaired hearing. I can't easily distinguish frequencies, so high-end headphones are wasted on me)

Palpatine MD posted:

For affordable minimalist watches, brands like Skagen, Braun and Uniform Wares come to mind.
Skagen watches gets my recommendation. Simple, sleek and durable watches.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

marshmallard posted:

I would definitely take a look at Pylones. They're basically exactly what you're looking for – brightly colored and things that look like other things. Perpetual Kid is worth looking through, though, if Pylones isn't really your speed.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

Crowley posted:

I'm looking for some half-decent headphones for use with at home with my computer. I'm slightly hearing impaired, so sound quality doesn't have to be top notch, but there are three major items they must fulfill.
  • They must be semi-open. I need to be able to hear things happening in the background when I'm watching a show on Netflix and the missus asks me a question.
  • They must be comfortable to wear for hours on end. Late-night gaming and Netflix binges are no fun when your ears hurt from bad headphones.
  • They must be comfortable to wear with glasses. The last and most important issue all the headphones I've owned. It's no fun having nice sound if your spectacles are being slowly pushed into the sides of your head.

I need options 2 & 3 - extra comfortable wearing for long times and wearable with glasses. I had a craniotomy therefore have problems with comfort above all but I also need something that doesn't let in that much background noise. My brain has a hard time separating out what I should be listening to and what I can ignore. Did I mention I don't want to spend a lot of money?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Crowley posted:

Currently I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD 415, which I would love if they didn't drop the ball om issue #3. :(

You can try stretching out your headphones slightly by using books, watermelon, or mannequin head so once stretched, does not place so much pressure on your head / ears.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Crowley posted:

I hope the price could be on the lower end of the scale, but I'd go up to ~$100 if there's something truly amazing available (Kindly remember my impaired hearing. I can't easily distinguish frequencies, so high-end headphones are wasted on me)

Skagen watches gets my recommendation. Simple, sleek and durable watches.

The Sennheiser HD650s use really thick soft foam to completely enclose the ear. They are open, but because of all that foam they shouldn't cause too many issues with your glasses. Also since they don't press your ears against your head they don't get all hot and gross.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
I currently have a Sennheiser HD202 which was dirt cheap and sounds really amazing. I carefully stretch the plastic band a few times a month to keep it flexible and prevent pressure on my ears. I wear glasses and never had comfort problems with them.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Foam covers like these might stay in more.

Last night I discovered a maggot squirming around in a pile of it's own poo poo on top of my mp3 player. It had eaten a fair chunk out of my foam earphone, ruining it. :argh:

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it
Do you live in a pile of garbage

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Thanks everyone for recommendations on headphones.

Palpatine MD posted:

I currently have a Sennheiser HD202 which was dirt cheap and sounds really amazing. I carefully stretch the plastic band a few times a month to keep it flexible and prevent pressure on my ears. I wear glasses and never had comfort problems with them.

I'm going to give this a try first. If it solves the problem I'll be happy as a clam, without even spending a dime. :)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

For the price I don't think you can beat the Sennheiser HD202.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have any recommendations for a small, cheap mp3 player? I got my father a Sansa Clip+ a couple of years ago and he seems pretty happy with it, has anything better come along? I just want something to take around with me to the gym and on jogs and my phone is a bit unwieldy.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

EdBlackadder posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a small, cheap mp3 player? I got my father a Sansa Clip+ a couple of years ago and he seems pretty happy with it, has anything better come along? I just want something to take around with me to the gym and on jogs and my phone is a bit unwieldy.

Nope, Sansa still rules the mini mp3 player market.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Invalid Octopus posted:

I would definitely take a look at Pylones. They're basically exactly what you're looking for – brightly colored and things that look like other things. Perpetual Kid is worth looking through, though, if Pylones isn't really your speed.

Both of these are brilliant. Thank you!

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I don't know why, but earphones hurt my earholes for some reason. I have tried multiple tips and still they hurt, or they don't stay in place for some reason. How are the flanged tips on Etymotic earphones? When I used to wear earplugs for work they didn't hurt and they stayed in.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I need to buy a new vacuum cleaner. Our house is mostly hardwood floor and brick with a few rugs that end up covered in dog hair. I want something that will work on these surfaces. I am willing to spend $300-400 but want something that will work well and last a decent amount of time.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

bunnielab posted:

I need to buy a new vacuum cleaner. Our house is mostly hardwood floor and brick with a few rugs that end up covered in dog hair. I want something that will work on these surfaces. I am willing to spend $300-400 but want something that will work well and last a decent amount of time.

This vacuum was the highest rated on consumer review sometime last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTu...d=IUWP6TZPPG3UD

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

This vacuum was the highest rated on consumer review sometime last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTu...d=IUWP6TZPPG3UD

That is the exact one I have now, but it is like 3-4 years old.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

bunnielab posted:

Here's a vacuum recommendation thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442635

Etrips is right, that vacuum is highly recommended. You don't need to spend dyson money to get a good consumer level vacuum these days.

I have a shark navigator liftaway pro and I'm very happy with it ($160 with bed bath and beyond 20% off). The non-pro version is cheaper and is just a different color and has a smaller waste bin. It's pretty compact, light, manueverable, relatively quiet, and has great suction. The filter/cleaning is super easy. Definitely would recommend.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

b0nes posted:

I don't know why, but earphones hurt my earholes for some reason. I have tried multiple tips and still they hurt, or they don't stay in place for some reason. How are the flanged tips on Etymotic earphones? When I used to wear earplugs for work they didn't hurt and they stayed in.

I cannot use standard earphones for the same reason. I use Shure 315's and I've always used their triple flange tips for the past at least 5 years or so. These are the only tips that are comfortable and excel in every category (some foam tips are better at noise isolation, but I find that my earholes were being expanded).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Any recommendations for pocket flashlights that don't suck? I want a normal one and a UV/blacklight one.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Mar 28, 2013

• Locked thread