Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Buffer posted:

Does anyone know if you have to do The Lord of the Seas(Capture a Lagiacrus in F. Forest) in order to get the Durambos urgent quest for the village, or can you also do Heat Exhaustion? Because gently caress fighting and having to capture Lagiacrus in the tiny water areas of the flooded forest(unless there's a good way to drive him up onto land. Dung Bombs just made him move back and forth from one tiny underwater area to another, and dual swords don't do exhaust damage). This is the first brick wall I've really hit, I keep overextending on a combo, getting caught on something and then bad things happen. :smith:

You can do Heat Exhaustion, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bowrrl
Mar 12, 2011
A loving jaggi just took the sleeping hit on a pink rathian. Had a wyvern fire charging on it's face then it nipped the wing. God damnit.

On the bright side said jaggi also somehow managed to stagger it for me to land the killing blow. I guess he was just trying to help.

All in all a weird run.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Bowrrl posted:

A loving jaggi just took the sleeping hit on a pink rathian. Had a wyvern fire charging on it's face then it nipped the wing. God damnit.

On the bright side said jaggi also somehow managed to stagger it for me to land the killing blow. I guess he was just trying to help.

All in all a weird run.

Any fight involving Jaggis, Bullfangos, Rhenoplos or Uroktors in the general area usually devolves into me screaming at the TV "This is not your fight motherfucker god drat it"

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Any fight involving Jaggis, Bullfangos, Rhenoplos or Uroktors in the general area usually devolves into me screaming at the TV "This is not your fight motherfucker god drat it"

All of those monsters have horrifically broken personal defense mechanisms.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Oh, TELL me about it. A Rhenopolos charging in from off screen has been the death of me TONS of times in the desert and volcano. Or they knock me away after I lay a trap and OOPS monster got out before I could tranq him! :argh:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Countblanc posted:

Slime is a status, right? Is there a particular reason it isn't triggering my Status +2 skill?

Or is it an Element and I'm just dumb?

Slime will not proc more often with status or element up, all you can do is make the explosions do more damage with bombadier.

To make slime stack faster, focus on the "armored" parts of a monster (basically if you would bounce on it). Those are specifically coded to receive 2x slime.

I added a video from SD to the OP, if you are just moving into G-Rank and are too lazy to farm Goldbeard for the set for sharp+1, you can make SD's weird little mishmash set out of the first set of basic monsters for it instead.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Emalde posted:

Slime will not proc more often with status or element up, all you can do is make the explosions do more damage with bombadier.

To make slime stack faster, focus on the "armored" parts of a monster (basically if you would bounce on it). Those are specifically coded to receive 2x slime.

I added a video from SD to the OP, if you are just moving into G-Rank and are too lazy to farm Goldbeard for the set for sharp+1, you can make SD's weird little mishmash set out of the first set of basic monsters for it instead.

What's the earliest you can get slime? High rank?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Fauxtool posted:

reposting this from earlier, someone has to know. Is a flat amount of status effect applied per arrow used or does each hit from the spread shot count as a separate hit applying the poison?

Each proc will apply a certain amount of status effect. I'm pretty sure stronger hits apply more status than weaker ones, but you're still going to proc more often and thus apply more status with spread shots. This is why the kelbi bow, and not the brachy bow, is the most overpowered weapon - the brachy bow is stronger but the kebli has a zero-charge five-arrow-spread shot.

Countblanc posted:

Slime is a status, right? Is there a particular reason it isn't triggering my Status +2 skill?

Slime is an element, but it isn't effected by element up either. You can use the bombadier skill to make the explosions more hurty.

edit: beaten on this one.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

What's the earliest you can get slime? High rank?

Yes. You fight your first Brachydios as you HR 3-4 Urgent. It's a very fast paced fight.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Carecat posted:

I turned him into a very colourful axe. I'm sad it doesn't use the beak in the design :(

The Qurupeco hammer is so loving cool. There's a little firing pin that primes whenever you reach a full charge. I geeked the gently caress out at that.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Countblanc posted:

I believe it has been folded under bombardier, not sure if the other skills affect it.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Yeah Felyne Pyro and Bombardier are the skills that affect Slime, not Status/Element- although technically it is a status, as its procs are random as far as I know.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Selious posted:

I believe it has been folded under bombardier, not sure if the other skills affect it.

Yeah that's loving bizarre. Game's been out in Japan for months and no one seems to be sure how exactly Slime works. Only that it's strong as gently caress.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Im having trouble with HR village quests, everything seems to do way too much damage. I really need better equipment, but I don't know what is worth wasting parts on and what I should be saving for various weapon upgrades in the future.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Emalde posted:

Doesn't Felyne Pyro buff it too? I mean the text does say 'Increases damage for all types of Barrel Bombs , and increases the power of Slime attacks.'

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Seemenaked posted:

Doesn't Felyne Pyro buff it too? I mean the text does say 'Increases damage for all types of Barrel Bombs , and increases the power of Slime attacks.'

Clearly not. :v:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

Im having trouble with HR village quests, everything seems to do way too much damage. I really need better equipment, but I don't know what is worth wasting parts on and what I should be saving for various weapon upgrades in the future.

Just plow through some great jaggis or something to make a starter set of high rank armor. If you can get to high rank you should be able to beat them no problem.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Does the farm not get mining spots in this Monster Hunter?

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Volt Catfish posted:

Does the farm not get mining spots in this Monster Hunter?

I wish it did, sadly that is not a feature. You have to travel to 3 or 4 locales to net the ore you need.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
This game would be a hundred times more accessible to new players if they just included vital information somewhere in the interface where you could find it easily. I've fought a Gigginox before, but what is it weak to again? How do I know what this CurrentRes skill is on the Lagia armor so I know if it's worth forging? What do this weapon's upgrade paths look like beyond the very next upgrade? How do I load this new Gunlance? I'm enjoying myself a ton, it's a great game, but I really shouldn't have to keep switching my monitor over to a Wiki page for some of this stuff.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Seemenaked posted:

I wish it did, sadly that is not a feature. You have to travel to 3 or 4 locales to net the ore you need.

What has been annoying me is, why the hell am I still getting iron and malachite in every single area even during high ranked quests? I know there are weapons that take 100s of earth crystals to forge, but why does the game troll you with poo poo ingredients in every area?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

YorexTheMad posted:

This game would be a hundred times more accessible to new players if they just included vital information somewhere in the interface where you could find it easily. I've fought a Gigginox before, but what is it weak to again? How do I know what this CurrentRes skill is on the Lagia armor so I know if it's worth forging? What do this weapon's upgrade paths look like beyond the very next upgrade? How do I load this new Gunlance? I'm enjoying myself a ton, it's a great game, but I really shouldn't have to keep switching my monitor over to a Wiki page for some of this stuff.

Everything except seeing entire weapon trees is in the game, and why would they show that?

Anyway, you can find a monster's weaknesses by fighting one and then looking at the armor you produce from them to see what it resists and doesn't. You can press a button (a labeled button, even) on the status screen to see what skills do. The "hunter's notes" section in the pause menu explains all of the controls for each weapon.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Funkmaster General posted:

Everything except seeing entire weapon trees is in the game, and why would they show that?

Anyway, you can find a monster's weaknesses by fighting one and then looking at the armor you produce from them to see what it resists and doesn't. You can press a button (a labeled button, even) on the status screen to see what skills do. The "hunter's notes" section in the pause menu explains all of the controls for each weapon.

The resists aren't actually information relayed directly by the game at all (as far as I can tell as an admitted neophyte) when it could easily be in Hunter's Notes.

I admit I goofed on the armor skills, when I first saw that menu I thought it was showing you your current skills and not your skills with that armor. I never said I was smart. That will alleviate a lot of my frustration.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

What has been annoying me is, why the hell am I still getting iron and malachite in every single area even during high ranked quests? I know there are weapons that take 100s of earth crystals to forge, but why does the game troll you with poo poo ingredients in every area?

I'd say almost avoid the S. Plains if you plan on mining. That place trolls so drat hard it's not even funny. If I plan on mining in S. Plains I get the Felyne Explorer and grab the ore up top cause I know most of the time it will always be quality stuff. Area 6 there is just awful and area 11 I think has maybe 1 good node that doesn't give you bones (that poo poo was odd a node that only drops bones) there is also those lovely crystal bones/gold ones. If I am gonna mine though I do F. Forest and hit up areas 3/5/6 ignore 8 since all the nodes drop low level crap and seem to break my mining picks a lot even with divine whim. In D. Island the Jaggi den area 6 has really good ore especially on G rank. Area 4 is not bad and make sure to always get those bugs since they give you some of the rarer ones each time. Volcano is my favorite since it dishes out 3-5 rustshards every run. I start at 3 get the node that is there sometimes -> area 5 next grab the ones there. Then 8/9/10 and back to 5 to kill whatever it is I'm fighting. For some reason when gathering I noticed I get better results with gathering on a kill quest as opposed to a gathering one. M. Peaks is kinda meh as far as what you get ore-wise. Area 3 has a spiderweb that is a spot I always stop at since it's the only place to get a fair amount of spiderwebs without the added bullshit. Area 2 has so-so ore usually a lot of earth crystals and maybe 1-2 good ores. Really though this place is better for bugs than gathering ore, since volcano tends to give you better stuff hell even tundra. In Tundra 5/7/4, 6 is meh ore at best. The best node there imo is the one in area 4 that is closest to the exit to area 2. I've received a ton of HVY Armorspheres from it and not so much from the other nodes. Course the secret area and Deviljho's den have good ore but those places are best for netting yourself some dragonbone relics.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I got some useful advice on capturing from a Monster Hunter pro, to reliably capture a monster just attack it it until it limps, it doesn't get any health just for changing zones so you can follow a limping monster then trap and tranq it right away.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Carecat posted:

I got some useful advice on capturing from a Monster Hunter pro, to reliably capture a monster just attack it it until it limps, it doesn't get any health just for changing zones so you can follow a limping monster then trap and tranq it right away.

It's been said a few times, but stock up on 5 perception decorations and stick them on your armor. It'll give you the capture guru skill that'll show when a painted monster can be captured by blinking on the mini map.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Carecat posted:

A note to add on to this. The reason why I think a couple of people in this thread mention that the monster dies before limping is that this will not happen if you're already fighting in the zone the monster rests in.
A monster always limps back to where it goes to sleep, if it's already where it needs to go then well...

Normally this won't be the case but through unpredictable circumstances (Cha-Cha tossing dung bombs everywhere or whatever) it can be a thing.

Most rest places are pretty obvious and they're always the same for each individual monster. The Brady guide has a good list of each place for each monster, on each map.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Karanas posted:

It's been said a few times, but stock up on 5 perception decorations and stick them on your armor. It'll give you the capture guru skill that'll show when a painted monster can be captured by blinking on the mini map.

This isn't even all that "newbie" of a thing. I have a pretty static group of 4 and we always had someone with in in LR because we were MURDERING everything. We even need it for a few HR thing where we just kill it too fast to see the limp reliably. It sucks to back off because you aren't sure.

If a fight is taking awhile you should be able to notice the limp, but if you are still learning use the poo poo out of it. Its something you just eventually pickup like what parts are weak.

The gem set is piss easy to put together and I think the gloves from a set has a +4 to it to help if you are low on gem slots. Its a great skill and no excuse why you can't gem into it if your group is killing stuff too fast its cheap to make the gems.

Vallens
Jan 27, 2004

Get back in line you drunken fool!
Stream going up. Finishing singleplayer stuff then maybe some multi.

http://www.twitch.tv/vallens

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
New to monster hunter, thinking of picking it up for the 3DS. Is it worth getting even if I have no one to multiplayer with?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Phiberoptik posted:

New to monster hunter, thinking of picking it up for the 3DS. Is it worth getting even if I have no one to multiplayer with?

Single player is still really fun and you can do online stuff solo (Just go to the tavern) The monsters will still have HP for a group but most are still not bad to take on by yourself if you know what are you doing. The real advantage to multiplayer is talking to people while grinding and being happy when someone in your set group finally gets a rare drop you have been helping them get all night. (Or finally getting that rare piece yourself). Also online since you have 4 people is a ton faster.

Nothing will stop you from playing with goons if you eventually pick up the wiiU version since you can transfer your save. If you just sorry about the "low rank" "story" it should last at least 20-30 hours of play time, and the high rank one probably even longer then that. There is tons of offline content to explore. Online just makes it an even better experience.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

The last village quests are just silly. Lagiacrus/Brachydios and Azure Rathalos in the arena is miserable. The fight is scaled to you being in pretty much the best gear on top of having a purple sharpness weapon. I hear if you beat it though you can unlock G-rank Altreon on single player woohoo. So yeah I've hit a brick wall, time to farm up on some multiplayer.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Seemenaked posted:

The last village quests are just silly. Lagiacrus/Brachydios and Azure Rathalos in the arena is miserable. The fight is scaled to you being in pretty much the best gear on top of having a purple sharpness weapon. I hear if you beat it though you can unlock G-rank Altreon on single player woohoo. So yeah I've hit a brick wall, time to farm up on some multiplayer.

Yeah the game isn't designed for the possibility of NOT finding people to play with. But its not like there is really a story anymore at that point its all end game, and you can solo the multiplayer stuff if you really want to complete it.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

I was just trying to get a nicer mask for my sidekicks and kept going. That ultimate mask is ridiculous. The fact that kayumba can block almost any attack now has doibled his life expectancy. Cha cha on the otherhand is still a reckless poo poo with all the bomb throwing willy nilly.I gotta admit though I love that guy, the Felyne mask freakin' owns. he's helped me get breaks on stuff I would've had a lot of trouble getting otherwise. Far as beating single player, I can wait I really do not care for the Alreon fight. Of all the last bosses I've encountered over each game he is one of my least favorites. The fact that he resembles a pony makes me dislike him even more.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Seemenaked posted:

I can wait I really do not care for the Alatreon fight. Of all the last bosses I've encountered over each game he is one of my least favorites. The fact that he resembles a pony makes me dislike him even more.

Is sleep bombing still the preferred method of killing him?

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

Machai posted:

Is sleep bombing still the preferred method of killing him?

Based off everything I've seen and heard yes sleep bombing would be the most effective way of getting all his breaks.

I really do hope they add another boss or something after him cause his fight is kinda boring unless you are the gunner in which case it's not so bad. Time to farm my uragaan gundam set for gunning :\

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I was doofing around in the Tundra trying to get Lightcrystals to make the Felyshka because COME ON, NESTING-DOLL-CAT-GUNLANCE when I got a Rustshard.

It turned into a Breath Core Hammer. That means I'm not on a cursed table, right?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bathroomrage posted:

I was doofing around in the Tundra trying to get Lightcrystals to make the Felyshka because COME ON, NESTING-DOLL-CAT-GUNLANCE when I got a Rustshard.

It turned into a Breath Core Hammer. That means I'm not on a cursed table, right?

It could still be cursed w/r/t charms, but the fact that you got a Rustshard at all means it's not one of the really bad ones. Chances are it's not, though, and the regular cursed tables only really matter if you want to go super-late endgame charm-grinding.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Huh. Two HR Duramboros on one mission.

Well, that'll be a challenge. It took me like 35 minutes to kill one. Don't really have any fire weapons made. Certainly none worth bringing to an HR battle. Got the most basic Rathalos-fueled Greatsword if I went and got a part or two from him. Might be the only fire weapon I have open. At least in a weapon category I don't despise. I've got the DLC lance made, but I don't feel like running around the arena killing Bullfangos for more tickets to upgrade it. Also it's a lance and pfft. :v:

I've never really sat around looking at weaknesses, but I guess it's time to dust that tome off and open it up. Would it be best for me to assign the Shakalakas to use a Fire attack too, or are they better suited doing other things? Switched Cha-Cha out of the Felyne mask after he barrel bombed me right onto the spot the Duramboros was landing. That was fun. Bastard. I've got the Hunter tome from the Argosy Captain and that seems like a good skill to use. Is it worth taking up a slot to keep the little idiots focused on dancing and attacking?

Also, since the Captain just returned, I believe Brachydios is open. Should I just nix the above plans and go grind up a slime weapon?

Also discovered something purely by accident. Somehow I got a Deviljho Talon. It must've been on a Peco hunt. I dunno if I caught one in a golfswing and got it from a shiny or what. I'd dropped all my gear off because I was gonna farm the Volcano for shards and ore. Come back, go to combine some things, notice the Power/Armorcharms could be combined with the Talon. Does the Powertalon stack with the Powercharm? How big a boost does it give in comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
They stack, and the talon gives more damage increase than the charm, but I'm not sure how much by.

Also, the trick with Duramboros is to attack his back however you can. You can't trip him normally (attacking his legs), but if you attack his legs while he's spinning, after a certain amount of damage he'll fall over for a good long while. Pitfall traps also bring his back down to attack range. His back is pretty weak and takes a lot of fire damage, especially when he's in rage mode, and especially after you've broken his hump.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 29, 2013

• Locked thread