Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, if you're going to tour from one end of the Americas to the other, I would think that blasting through as quickly as possible is really missing the point. There isn't even a lot of empty space on that route once you hit Vancouver -- the coasts are always densely populated. Lots of stuff to see.

How did he get though the Darien Gap?

On this:

Sail boat to cartagena. The blog is well worth a look, it's got some amazing pictures and stories. The boat part is here: http://hondavstheworld.com/sailing-to-colombia-on-the-stahlratte/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's too bad the Darien Gap's mostly impassible without a good 4x4 and a private militia these days. The one motorcycle to get through there was a Rokon 2-wheel drive and it took 49 days to cross the 90km stretch.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/09/darien-gap-most-dangerous-absence-of.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slim Pickens posted:

It's too bad the Darien Gap's mostly impassible without a good 4x4 and a private militia these days. The one motorcycle to get through there was a Rokon 2-wheel drive and it took 49 days to cross the 90km stretch.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/09/darien-gap-most-dangerous-absence-of.html

Kinda cool related thread
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585918

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What am I missing here? The SUV overtook him and apparently this is a problem?
If someone merges into your lane, that is an intolerable insult to the southern Suzuki owner.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
There was snow...

Northern Confederate Suzuki Owner?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

That was awesome.

Also reminds me why I don't read ADV regularly, so much loving content-less posts making GBS threads up otherwise interesting threads.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

TheFonz posted:

There was snow...

Northern Confederate Suzuki Owner?
It's been a screwy winter down south, I'm in TN and we had snow Saturday through Wednesday morning.

And a picture of my friends Honda 150R setup for minimoto and parking lot races

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Also reminds me why I don't read ADV regularly, so much loving content-less posts making GBS threads up otherwise interesting threads.
The fact that they still haven't implemented a [timg] makes a lot of their threads really annoying to read too.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Literally every forum everywhere except some places on SA, which is why this is the only place I can actually be active on without wanting to kill myself.

content

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Standard adv rider thread:

[1000 picture post of adventure]

[6 replies that quote the entire post with pictures and the text 'cool! keep the updates coming!']

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That really does drive me nuts. There's great content there if you're willing to sift through the chaff but editing quotes is apparently far too advanced for 80% of the posters.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Someone should just write a chrome addon to strip quoted pics in advrider threads.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Slim Pickens posted:

What does that scooter max out at, 30?

My ex had a C70, and she used to say that the number was both the capacity and the top speed (so like, 45?). The first time I ever saw her riding it she somehow managed to back the rear out taking off from a parking spot.

Also, not a scooter. It has gears! :eng101:

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

Shouting Melon posted:

My ex had a C70, and she used to say that the number was both the capacity and the top speed (so like, 45?). The first time I ever saw her riding it she somehow managed to back the rear out taking off from a parking spot.

Oh god, was this the 3 speed automatic? my roommate had one that we called rear end in a top hat because when you rode it, you would filter to the front of traffic and when the light turned green, it would just sputter and barely move more than 2mph. And of course everybody behind you is thinking "man, what an rear end in a top hat" before going around you. And of course as soon as everybody goes around, it would backfire and just pull like a train until you got the next stoplight. Repeat that and you can see why it ended up being used to reserve parking spots.

I think it was impounded for being "abandoned" something like a year ago? We just stepped outside one day and it was gone. Never really cared to figure out what happened anyway.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Shouting Melon posted:

Scooters have gears. Old Vespas and Lambrettas were all manual shift. The Genuine Stella (derived from the late-70s Vespa PX150, but now with a new 4-stroke motor) is still a manual-shift 4-speed, but it's the only shifty scooter on the market now.

Twist back for 1, then twist forward for N-2-3-4. Clutch like any other manual bike.

Better ways to figure out of it's a scooter: step-through frame, swingarm-mounted engine, maybe floorboards and a leg shield.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

"Scooters are motorcycles for men who want to feel the wind in their vaginas" - somebody somewhere sometime.

still totally want a ruckus someday

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

From the PYF Bad-rear end Pictures thread, for all you people who like to rag on little bikes and scooters

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If he had a RealBike(TM) he'd have room for some reloads

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Does the rocket assist in acceleration?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Spiffness posted:

"Scooters are motorcycles for men who want to feel the wind in their vaginas" - somebody somewhere sometime.

still totally want a ruckus someday

Well mine is a moped.

The wind whistling is a pleasant accompaniment to my high powered weed wacker.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

From the PYF Bad-rear end Pictures thread, for all you people who like to rag on little bikes and scooters

Does the tank say "CIA HERO"? because that'd be pretty ironic awesome.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Well mine is a moped.

The wind whistling is a pleasant accompaniment to my high powered weed wacker.

That's an awesome pipe. It looks like a robot's colon

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Sagebrush posted:

It looks like a robot's colon

I think I've got that on Bluray.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Scooters have gears. Old Vespas and Lambrettas were all manual shift. The Genuine Stella (derived from the late-70s Vespa PX150, but now with a new 4-stroke motor) is still a manual-shift 4-speed, but it's the only shifty scooter on the market now.

Twist back for 1, then twist forward for N-2-3-4. Clutch like any other manual bike.

Better ways to figure out of it's a scooter: step-through frame, swingarm-mounted engine, maybe floorboards and a leg shield.

:psyboom:

So you're clutching and twisting with your left hand?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sure are. Those little things are fun with the manual shifter. I rode a 2t Stella from San Antonio to New Braunfels and back last June, managed to wheelie it off a stoplight. I did find myself trying to throttle the phantom grip shift when I got back on my own bike though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hayden. posted:

Literally every forum everywhere except some places on SA, which is why this is the only place I can actually be active on without wanting to kill myself.

content

Okay Aprilia you're deliberately cock-teasing me now. You make this beautiful 1200 engine that can fit right into the Shiver frame with minimal modification, you release it for the Dorsoduro last year, now you put it in the Caponord but you still won't put it in the loving Shiver even though that's the bike that engine WAS loving DESIGNED FOR.

I swear to god Aprilia if i don't see that 1200 Shiver by this summer I'll...

erm...

please don't leave me Aprilia

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Holy poo poo, that's the new Caponord?! I thought it was a new Shiver GT!
Still, nice as it looks, it'd still only make maybe 4 or 5 on the list...

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Sagebrush posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa_150_TAP

SaNChEzZ posted:

:psyboom:

So you're clutching and twisting with your left hand?

Yep! Like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSVMU4D_sw

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

That new Caponord looks like an Italian Bandit with the right number of cylinders. It's not a Rotax 60-degree vtwin anymore, is it?

Was wondering when they'd shed the Adventure pretense with that model. I'd sure ride it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

That new Caponord looks like an Italian Bandit with the right number of cylinders. It's not a Rotax 60-degree vtwin anymore, is it?

Was wondering when they'd shed the Adventure pretense with that model. I'd sure ride it.

Nah its an in-house 90-degree 1200 based on the fly-by-wire 750 that was their first engine after Piaggio bought them out, with an RSV4-derived traction control system. The "Adventure" option with that engine is the Dorsoduro:

There's also a rumoured revival of the Futura full-faired sports-tourer with the same engine, and they've been promising a 1200 Shiver since loving 2010. The 750 and 1200 were both designed for the Shiver (not even the Italians would design an engine for off-road use with the oil filter where it is on the Shiver and Dorsoduro - nestling under that chin splitter, which also covers the starter motor and ABS electronics, because these are all components you want directly in the path of debris off the front wheel).

There's an interesting semi-automatic suspension on that Caponord - I'd forgive them the delay on the Shiver if it was explained as them getting that working for the Shiver...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah its an in-house 90-degree 1200 based on the fly-by-wire 750 that was their first engine after Piaggio bought them out, with an RSV4-derived traction control system. The "Adventure" option with that engine is the Dorsoduro:

There's also a rumoured revival of the Futura full-faired sports-tourer with the same engine, and they've been promising a 1200 Shiver since loving 2010. The 750 and 1200 were both designed for the Shiver (not even the Italians would design an engine for off-road use with the oil filter where it is on the Shiver and Dorsoduro - nestling under that chin splitter, which also covers the starter motor and ABS electronics, because these are all components you want directly in the path of debris off the front wheel).

There's an interesting semi-automatic suspension on that Caponord - I'd forgive them the delay on the Shiver if it was explained as them getting that working for the Shiver...

So is aprilia's non-sports line up basically all the same modular bike with different parts swapped in, buell style? The frames all look the same.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

So is aprilia's non-sports line up basically all the same modular bike with different parts swapped in, buell style? The frames all look the same.

Basically yeah. The frame uppers (the trellis parts) are actually completely different between the Shiver and Dorsoduro but are designed to look the same because that's the look they've decided on, but the lowers and engine are identical. Aprilia are getting pretty heavily in to commonality of parts, particularly consumables (every single non-scooter in the range uses the same brakes for example, although the Shiver has wavy discs this year for some reason), and the 750 and 1200 engines are interchangeable on the Dorsoduro simply by replacing the frame lowers, ECU, and exhaust. Having lived through the days when they had three different rear wheel designs on the same year of the same bike this is definitely a good thing.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPCFh7F9hwY

This is an awesome video

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(not even the Italians would design an engine for off-road use with the oil filter where it is on the Shiver and Dorsoduro

Elefant, Multistrada, Gran Canyon, Navigator...yeah, I think they all have the oil filter down there. Perhaps not all of them as exposed as can be seen on this derobed Navigator.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That was awesome.

If you're using google chrome get ADVrider Tools from the chrome store. Pretty sure there's an equivalent firefox extension. Best thing that's happened to ADV (you can cut out all posts but the OPs or select others).

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEGsDsaOFU

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
My current desktop background. One of the guys in my college student mc has a nice camera and did a great job with this picture and several others. This was right after I got my bike and before I got new tires. Don't judge me!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Jet engine with a bike attached

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM7PK5d2Yug

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

My current desktop background. One of the guys in my college student mc has a nice camera and did a great job with this picture and several others. This was right after I got my bike and before I got new tires. Don't judge me!

One of these things is not like the others...

I wish I had a b-king :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Slavvy posted:

One of these things is not like the others...

I wish I had a b-king :(

Don't forget the SV650 at the far left.