Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

ChibiSoma posted:

What's good armor to make for fighting Brachy? Been running around in HR Wroggi and beefing it up fairly well. Think I have enough Hard Spheres to get one more full round of upgrades off, if it's even worth doing. Was kinda hoping the Jhen fight would've happened by now, honestly. Get all the mats for the ship and then you get no payoff for it for a long time. That the Urgent quest to get into the 9-star stuff?

I found Barioth armour pretty effective with him. Evasion is definitely the way to go, as opposed to blocking his attacks. Not to mention Constitution will help with how much you'll have to roll around to get that green poo poo off you, if need be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

ChibiSoma posted:

Brachydios: The developers' way of saying 'gently caress you' to people who use weapons without shields. I brought in 30 healing items, I came out with 1. The amount of parts required for armor and weapons keeps going up. Means if I want either a weapon or god forbid his armor, I'll have to fight him a good dozen or so times. I don't want to fight him a second time! At least not with a Hammer. Might bring a Greatsword in next time so I can at least block. He just has too many instant moves where, no matter where you stand, you're gonna get smashed.

Please say his armor's no good so I can just make a slime SNS or something and be done with him until whatever require fights are needed in the future. Some monsters are fun to fight against. With a Hammer at least, Brachydios is not one of them.

What's good armor to make for fighting Brachy? Been running around in HR Wroggi and beefing it up fairly well. Think I have enough Hard Spheres to get one more full round of upgrades off, if it's even worth doing. Was kinda hoping the Jhen fight would've happened by now, honestly. Get all the mats for the ship and then you get no payoff for it for a long time. That the Urgent quest to get into the 9-star stuff?

Jhen is a 7* quest, it even says so when you make the ship.

Brachy's armor is... high risk high reward. You get slime buffs, but that is a cheap ability to just gem in, so the real benefits of the armor come from two skills that increase your damage when the monster enrages and another that increases defense (and can be gemmed for attack bonuses too) when your health is below 40%. They are both really good abilities, but only are really great for skilled players. I would probably skip it and work on different armor set unless you know those two skills are what you want. I made it for the looks and regret it a little bit.
Upgraded Wroggi S armor is what I used with a switch axe after finding that I couldn't keep up with a lance. He's a fairly fun fight for me now that I know his moves, but it did take 10+ kills for me to get there.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
How the hell do I get a Monster Bone+? It's all I need for my Insecticutters! On that note, what's the deal with Dragon element? I can sort of figure out other resistances based on habitat and abilities, but what sort of stuff is resistant/weak to Dragon?

And the lightcrystal/pelagicite/monster fluid weapons look neat, but I don't know if they're any good and 10k is a lot to drop right now.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

How the hell do I get a Monster Bone+? It's all I need for my Insecticutters! On that note, what's the deal with Dragon element? I can sort of figure out other resistances based on habitat and abilities, but what sort of stuff is resistant/weak to Dragon?

And the lightcrystal/pelagicite/monster fluid weapons look neat, but I don't know if they're any good and 10k is a lot to drop right now.

Monster Bone+ starts showing up in the latter part of low rank. I think I started getting them from Rathian and up? Somewhere around there.

Dragon element is for killing dragons, weirdly enough. The Raths, Ceadeus, and Deviljho are the main monsters I can think of that are weak to it. Most other things don't take much damage from it.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

TalonDemonKing posted:

Do note that Gunlances have different shell types -- I'm rather preferential to Long as it extends your Wyvern's Fire a bit. Your ammo does get lowered, however.

I really like spread, it does the most damage of the shot types and gets a huge boost from charging shots (it was at something like 45% boost in damage in P3rd).

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This game is the master of trolling.

Whenever I pick up a hunt that has a Rathian or Rathalos, I run around for like 20 minutes before even finding it. Does it purposely avoid you or something?

PKJC
May 7, 2009
Put Fluffy Mask on one of the Shakalakas, tap the signal for it, know where the monster is. There's also an armor skill (Psychic, I believe) that gives permanent map marker for the monster.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

BabyRyoga posted:

This game is the master of trolling.

Whenever I pick up a hunt that has a Rathian or Rathalos, I run around for like 20 minutes before even finding it. Does it purposely avoid you or something?

Both of those fuckers LOVE to fly around all the time, it actually formed a habit for me where I bring 3 psychoserums with me to those types of fights just in case.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Psychoserums can be bought for 150 a pop when the online lady is half price. Definitely worth the small amount of cash to save me a lot of time.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Bussamove posted:

Monster Bone+ starts showing up in the latter part of low rank. I think I started getting them from Rathian and up? Somewhere around there.

Dragon element is for killing dragons, weirdly enough. The Raths, Ceadeus, and Deviljho are the main monsters I can think of that are weak to it. Most other things don't take much damage from it.

Dang, that's exactly where I am. Gonna farm Barroth for a bit to get his armour and then I don't know what I'm gonna do. For blademaster I have Qurupeco Switchaxe, Chainslaughter and a Chieftain's Greatsword. For gunner I have a Bandit Fire but the deviation to the left is killing me. Going for Insecticutters, but maybe I should go for a different DS. I really want a good hammer or lance/gunlance, any recommendations?

There's too many options and they all look cool!

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

gigawhite posted:

Psychoserums can be bought for 150 a pop when the online lady is half price. Definitely worth the small amount of cash to save me a lot of time.

On the same note, farcasters are extremely handy for saving you a bit of walking when you're done free hunting. Or to disappear like a ninja if you frequently put yourself in terrible positions :v:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Nechronic posted:

On the same note, farcasters are extremely handy for saving you a bit of walking when you're done free hunting. Or to disappear like a ninja if you frequently put yourself in terrible positions :v:

Go to the menu and selected "Return to Village". Instant farcaster.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Machai posted:

Go to the menu and selected "Return to Village". Instant farcaster.

Well now I feel dumb

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Nechronic posted:

Well now I feel dumb

Still good for turn in quests!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Why won't my argosy captain leave! I set his stops but he just sits there saying "4 days remaining" forever. The monster forecast and guild card quests are progressing normally so I don't know if he's just bugged or what. Any suggestions?

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I'm just starting Rank 3+ online, mainly using Longswords with an occasional Hammer thrown in. Any recommendations for good armor sets to be aiming for now? I'm a little overwhelmed by the options suddenly available.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Do other players get anything when I hire their hunters out on a quest? That would be so cool if so.

And whoever said the kelbi bow was great, thats no lie. I love this little slingshot.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Wozbo posted:

SO I beat uragaan last night and man, he was the biggest pushover compared to even barroth.

Barioth on the other hand is a jumpy rear end in a top hat.

It's funny cause I'm the exact opposite. I cannot deal with Uragaan and his poo poo, but I dodge and weave around Barioth and make him look like a flailing moron. The best is when both his wings are broken and he's exhausted, and he becomes the worlds biggest, goofiest cat. Just falling down all over the place like a dope.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
My HR2 weakness is Diablos.

"Nooo Matty Noo" as Emalde said while bashing her face in, and I'm getting tumbled into the dirt. She hit me so hard during a fight she disconnected me from the match. Bitch. Still haven't had a chance to get revenge on her.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is it worth grinding the Bnahabra set for a gunner? Trying to get the carapices and such seems to be a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Also I wish I'd know getting Sap Plants was such a pain or I would've thrown them in the farm instead of just using the one I had for a bomb casing.

riding gravity
May 7, 2007
Granny in the port will also sell Sap Plants sometimes (all the time?).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Do you not get the resource points for killing monsters in free roam if you use the Return to Village option?

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Do you not get the resource points for killing monsters in free roam if you use the Return to Village option?

You generate them afterwards by selecting the Hunting Report option when you talk to Junior, like usual.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Captain Flame Guy posted:

You generate them afterwards by selecting the Hunting Report option when you talk to Junior, like usual.

Ahahaha. I'm a dumbass.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Here's a tip for new hunters: Dash Juice. The description says it'll let you run without tiring, but what you may not realize is that it does this by giving you infinite stamina for the duration of its effect. So grab your Dual Blades, chug some Dash Juice, and Demonize with impunity!

:getin:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

riding gravity posted:

Granny in the port will also sell Sap Plants sometimes (all the time?).

Port Granny should be out fighting monsters. Think of how heavy that pack of junk is! She could grab a Brachydios and huck his rear end off a cliff!

And then she'd jump down after him to cut him up and sell all his god drat carves to you at inflated prices. Granny Highway Robbery. And people would still pay if it meant not having to grind out 2% Gem carves.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

It's funny cause I'm the exact opposite. I cannot deal with Uragaan and his poo poo, but I dodge and weave around Barioth and make him look like a flailing moron. The best is when both his wings are broken and he's exhausted, and he becomes the worlds biggest, goofiest cat. Just falling down all over the place like a dope.

What's hangin' ya up on Uragaan? Stay under him, mind his chin, maybe gem in something to stop yourself from being frozen by his ground pounds and you're golden. Unless he decides to be a dick and roll straight into you. Alternately: Lots and lots of traps and bombs. Bring spare mats, combine in the field, and blow him the hell up.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

ChibiSoma posted:

What's hangin' ya up on Uragaan? Stay under him, mind his chin, maybe gem in something to stop yourself from being frozen by his ground pounds and you're golden. Unless he decides to be a dick and roll straight into you. Alternately: Lots and lots of traps and bombs. Bring spare mats, combine in the field, and blow him the hell up.

He's so big, stupid, and slow that I get bored and attack when I shouldn't. That's my problem with all the big, stupid, and slow monsters. Gimme Tigrex. Gimme a million Tigrex over one Uragann. He just stands there and very slowly dies, and aghhhh do something you giant metal chin! gently caress this I'm gonna go mad gearz on his rear end.

And that's when I get flung across the room. Repeat for ten minutes.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

He's so big, stupid, and slow that I get bored and attack when I shouldn't. That's my problem with all the big, stupid, and slow monsters. Gimme Tigrex. Gimme a million Tigrex over one Uragann. He just stands there and very slowly dies, and aghhhh do something you giant metal chin! gently caress this I'm gonna go mad gearz on his rear end.

And that's when I get flung across the room. Repeat for ten minutes.

Lack of patience is part of why I can't use weapons with shields. It's so boring standing around waiting to block attacks. I'd rather dance around the monster and get in large/quick attacks then rush off before they can hit me. Duramboros is like that for me. And then I'll commit to a three-hit combo or start charging and that's when he decides to duck back and ram me or something.

The fact that he's a walking mountain of HP doesn't help. I know his weaknesses - fire, his camel humps, hitting his legs while he's twirling to knock him over - but none of that matters if I get impatient and try attacking when I shouldn't. Under the best circumstances it's still a good 15-20 minute fight that can best be summed up with one word: Tedium. He's not a difficult monster by any means, but he's got so much health and his attacks are so big and slow that my usual rushdown strategy isn't very effective on him. I really hope the quest for killing 2 at once isn't require to advance, because I'm gonna need far better weapons than I currently have to handle that one.

Also? Can't see what the hell I'm doing when I'm standing under him because my screen's filled with stupid ballerina-wyvern hair. :mad:

SerialGhost
Dec 19, 2012

Excellent!
I own a 3DS but not a WiiU and I've never played a Monster Hunter game, would Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate be a decent introduction to the series?
Are there any serious differences between the 3DS and WiiU versions? If the WiiU version has more content I might just hold off until I have one.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

SerialGhost posted:

I own a 3DS but not a WiiU and I've never played a Monster Hunter game, would Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate be a decent introduction to the series?
Are there any serious differences between the 3DS and WiiU versions? If the WiiU version has more content I might just hold off until I have one.

Both versions are essentially the same. The main difference is that the Wii U version can play multiplayer online natively, at the cost of not being portable, while the 3DS version only supports local multiplayer and online if you use the packet relay tool that you can install on your Wii U.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So note to everyone: the Diablos low-rank set is great. Do NOT bother crafting it. It requires one of the few really bullshit low-rank drops, the Majestic horn, whichi s an 8% chance off a break of his horn. I just got mine, and it took me literally 19 kills to get it. Fuuuuuuuuck.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Falcon2001 posted:

So note to everyone: the Diablos low-rank set is great. Do NOT bother crafting it. It requires one of the few really bullshit low-rank drops, the Majestic horn, whichi s an 8% chance off a break of his horn. I just got mine, and it took me literally 19 kills to get it. Fuuuuuuuuck.

If its like the rathalos set you'll need that for the HR one too! Hang on to that thing. (Look up if its needed in HR too). drat Rathlos plates.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

I don't remember them being that hard to get in MHFU...maybe 2-3 fights to get w/e horn I was aiming for from the Blos family. Sounds like they nerfed the horn drops then. Did you break his horns every time?

fe: Now I remember, the Majestic horns were lower drop rate at low rank. At HR the ratios are 6-twisted:4-majestic and it even goes up to 55% drop rate at G-rank. Looks like the rare one at G-rank has a 5% drop rate though...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

pixaal posted:

If its like the rathalos set you'll need that for the HR one too! Hang on to that thing. (Look up if its needed in HR too). drat Rathlos plates.

Woah I just checked and the drop rates for Plates are like 3%. I get at least one each Rath kill god drat I got lucky :stare:

However in Tri I think I got hosed by the plate drops since I distinctly remember killing Rathalos 37 times to get all his gear.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Is the switch axe as awesome as it seems? I switched from the hammer to it and it has dropped my kill times considerably. It just seems like I can constantly be in the monster's face whereas with the hammer I was always chasing the monster around. It also seems like it gives more spots to dodge out of a combo, but that could just be the fact that it is a faster weapon.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Looks like a one-page game guide got posted on GameFAQs, I gotta print this out:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/faqs/66788

After starting the game with Hunting Horn (and planning to continue with it in online groups) I still have found myself reverting to my "100 hours of Sword and Shield in Monster Hunter Freedom just a few months ago" roots. So now I gotta go back and build one on each of the major elemental tree branches. My OCD...

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Looks like a one-page game guide got posted on GameFAQs, I gotta print this out:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii-u/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/faqs/66788

After starting the game with Hunting Horn (and planning to continue with it in online groups) I still have found myself reverting to my "100 hours of Sword and Shield in Monster Hunter Freedom just a few months ago" roots. So now I gotta go back and build one on each of the major elemental tree branches. My OCD...

This guide is fantastic. Also I love on Arzuros's line: "Notes - steals honey". I learned something!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Woah I just checked and the drop rates for Plates are like 3%. I get at least one each Rath kill god drat I got lucky :stare:

However in Tri I think I got hosed by the plate drops since I distinctly remember killing Rathalos 37 times to get all his gear.

It took me a month of killing Rathalos for his gem in Unite. This makes me want to dig out my PSP and check how many kills total I racked up on that character.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Falcon2001 posted:

It took me 24 for mine. It's a great set but yeah, seriously not worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Emalde posted:

It took me 24 for mine. It's a great set but yeah, seriously not worth the effort.

Yeah, it took me like 8 kills for the rest of the set, and then the other 11 for just that waistband. On the plus side, I'm RICH.

• Locked thread