Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wildcards? check.
Miniatures? check.
lovely comic version of a novel? check.
Lack of any mention of the books? check.
Football? ch... poo poo, call the web designer.

Joramun posted:

I'm hoping the Reborn Griffin and the Knight of Flowers still get the chance to meet (and hook) up at some point, because it would be super hot. With book Loras that is, show Loras is pretty gross.

I'm fairly confident this will happen. Well unless Sanderson gets hired to finish the remaining series. Can that guy even _write_ edgy high fantasy gay zombie rape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

thornghost posted:

The fat bastard updated his webpage and while we've lost the wonderful 1998-era design, I am at least comforted by the fact that he's promoting calendars, Wild Cards and pewter miniatures right up at the top.

I like how the entire front page makes no direct mention of the books whatsoever.

edit ^^ hey

TrickyTrev
Feb 8, 2005
ZOMG I HAVE ROCKET
Rage of Thrones

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Joramun posted:

I'm hoping the Reborn Griffin and the Knight of Flowers still get the chance to meet (and hook) up at some point, because it would be super hot. With book Loras that is, show Loras is pretty gross.

And hey, book Loras will be 18 soon!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I for one am looking forward to the Greyscale/AIDS comparison, because I'm sure GRRM can handle that tastefully.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The except from Winds of Winter
" “Arya of Winterfell, aye. When last I was inside those walls, your cook served us a steak and kidney pie. Made with ale, I think, best I ever tasted. What was his name, that cook?”
“Gage,” Jeyne said at once. “He was a good cook. He would make lemoncakes for Sansa whenever we had lemons.”
Crowfood had fingered his beard. “Dead now, I suppose. That smith of yours as well. A man who knew his steel. What was his name?”
Jeyne had hesitated. Mikken, Theon thought. His name was Mikken. The castle blacksmith had never made any lemoncakes for Sansa, which made him far less important than the castle cook in the sweet little world she had shared with her friend Jeyne Poole."

One day he'll write a book without lemoncake.

Libertad
Mar 3, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

elmer fud posted:

" “Arya of Winterfell, aye. When last I was inside those walls, your cook served us a steak and kidney pie. Made with ale, I think, best I ever tasted. What was his name, that cook?”
“Gage,” Jeyne said at once. “He was a good cook. He would make lemoncakes for Sansa whenever we had lemons.”
Crowfood had fingered his beard. “Dead now, I suppose. That smith of yours as well. A man who knew his steel. What was his name?”
Jeyne had hesitated. Mikken, Theon thought. His name was Mikken. The castle blacksmith had never made any lemoncakes for Sansa, which made him far less important than the castle cook in the sweet little world she had shared with her friend Jeyne Poole."

I don't want to live in that universe

Lemoncakes are the sole narrative thread in ASoIaF

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Want one of these.

Brewed with lemon peel obviously.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

whowhatwhere posted:

I for one am looking forward to the Greyscale/AIDS comparison, because I'm sure GRRM can handle that tastefully.
Loras tearily sings Seasons of Love from Rent as Connington dies in his arms.

For the record: I really hope Jon-Con doesn't die because he is badass and dashing and dreamy.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

elmer fud posted:

I would like you to provide the Onion link you got this from.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Junkenstein posted:

Want one of these.

Brewed with lemon peel obviously.

Bullshit, the only drink in Westeros is wine :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Mulled, fortified wine.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

There's some subtle food culture thing going on that I don't understand that allows people to consume Game of Thrones and The Sopranos and come away from the experience thinking "BOY I'M HUNGRY, I WONDER IF THERE IS A COOKBOOK." Gurm makes me think of fat, greasy pedophiles squeakily giggling through wispy pube beards at an infinite hellscape of rape and dessert. That's not appetizing.

Joramun posted:

With book Loras that is, show Loras is pretty gross.

Jesus, yes. Who was in charge of that one? Because they need to get their everything checked.

Sarkozymandias fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 29, 2013

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
All right, somebody fess up. One of my friends just got spoiled on Robb dying this season because somebody posted it on a suggestions board in a museum in D.C. Which one of you did it?

Edit: She was in tears, I only wish I was there to experience them.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My friend got spoiled, too.

But gently caress him, I bought him all 4 books in 2010 for Christmas.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

All right, somebody fess up. One of my friends just got spoiled on Robb dying this season because somebody posted it on a suggestions board in a museum in D.C. Which one of you did it?

Did she at least catch some of them in a vial so you can drink them for nourishment?

Otherwise, she's not really your friend. And also wasteful of perfectly good Robb fangirl tears.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I recorded my girlfriend's reaction to reading the Red Wedding for the first time back in December.

Transcript:

"They're not gonna kill [Catelyn]...
[gasp]
THEY JUST loving KILLED ROBB.
[reads the next page]
What?? Is she scratching herself?
DID THEY JUST KILL CATELYN TOO??
[book hits the ground]
gently caress this book, why did you let me keep reading??
[she was going to stop reading for the night, so I inform her of Grey Robb]
[begins to sob uncontrollably]"

I actually had it spoiled for myself by some loving meme, so I was happy to see a virgin impression of the events as they went down. She's halfway through with DWD right now, and Jon Snow is her favorite character :getin:

Millions fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 30, 2013

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Millions posted:

Jon Snow is her favorite character
How does this even happen?

v Seriously, he tried to warn Robb and was rewarded by being tied up outside and butchered :( Robb's death was only really sad because of what it represented, he himself was totally bland.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 30, 2013

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Millions posted:

[she was going to stop reading for the night, so I inform her of Grey Robb]
[begins to sob uncontrollably]
Now this I can understand. In hindsight, Grey Wind's is actually the saddest of the three major Stark deaths at the RW.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Joramun posted:

Now this I can understand. In hindsight, Grey Wind's is actually the saddest of the three major Stark deaths at the RW.

I care more about the direwolves than any of the human characters.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

hailthefish posted:

I care more about the direwolves than any of the human characters.
Imagine how much better AFFC/ADWD if almost any of the viewpoints had been replaced by Nymeria. Hell, the best part of Jon's ADWD chapters were his wolf dreams with stuff like Shaggydog killing a unicorn.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I live in the area, but it wasn't me; where could I post things to spoil her?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I have spoiled for 4 people so far who are seriously into ASOIAF, and 20+ for people who just watch it.

I'm going to make a facebook post, someone give me advice to make it better.

"Robb Stark dies at the Red Wedding. Betrayed by the Freys and Karstarks. All of his men are butchered after he breaks his wedding promise to the Freys. Grey Wind's head is sown onto Robb's corpse's head."

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 30, 2013

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I recently watched an animation spoofing how confusing the book was in regards to minor characters with similar names dying, but can't remember where. Did anyone else see this? Can't seem to find it.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

elmer fud posted:

I have spoiled for 4 people so far who are seriously into ASOIAF, and 20+ for people who just watch it.

"Robb Stark dies at the Red Wedding. Betrayed by the Freys and Karstarks. All of his men are butchered after he breaks his wedding promise to the Freys. Grey Wind's head is sown onto Robb's corpse's head."

I was just going to put: "Game of Thrones spoiler: grrm dies" tbh

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

menino posted:

I recently watched an animation spoofing how confusing the book was in regards to minor characters with similar names dying, but can't remember where. Did anyone else see this? Can't seem to find it.

NSFW:

I think this is what you're talking about.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

elmer fud posted:

This sounds like a really funny idea and not something a brainless simpleton would do. Good luck.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

elmer fud posted:

"The Frey's sew Grey Wind's head onto Robb Stark's body. They throw Caitlin's corpse into the river"

Skip the why's and where-for's and get straight to the meat of it.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

kcroy posted:

"The Frey's sew Grey Wind's head onto Robb Stark's body. They throw Caitlin's corpse into the river"

Can't figure out why you wouldn't want to experience this in real time. The pain is so much more delicious.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

kcroy posted:

Even better: "Literally nothing comes of the wedding promise thing, the freys just forgive him and everything is fine despite a whole bunch of build up."

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

hailthefish posted:

Even better: "Literally nothing comes of the wedding promise thing, the freys just forgive him and everything is fine despite a whole bunch of build up."

I like your thinking!

rypakal posted:

Can't figure out why you wouldn't want to experience this in real time. The pain is so much more delicious.

yeah the best part is sitting next to someone who is reading it, and you know they are getting close, and then hearing them say "what the gently caress..?"

Mnemosyne posted:

After reading the books, I got more into the main/KL plot, but I have a hard time making myself give a poo poo about Dorne (and of course, all of Essos).

No one gives a poo poo about Dorne or Essos, so you are fine.

I had to look up Essos to remember that was the name of that stupid continent. I just read there was a "southeros" too. What, no "Northeros?".

VVVVV

kcroy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 30, 2013

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Millions posted:

Jon Snow is her favorite character :getin:

Jon is one of my favorites, but I'm also in the minority in that I really like Sam too. I only started reading the books after seeing Season 1 of the show, and my main motivation was that I felt the show had too much King's Landing stuff and not enough Wall stuff. After reading the books, I got more into the main/KL plot, but I have a hard time making myself give a poo poo about Dorne (and of course, all of Essos).

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Mnemosyne posted:

quote:

Jon is one of my favorites, but I'm also in the minority in that I really like Sam too. I only started reading the books after seeing Season 1 of the show, and my main motivation was that I felt the show had too much King's Landing stuff and not enough Wall stuff. After reading the books, I got more into the main/KL plot, but I have a hard time making myself give a poo poo about Dorne (and of course, all of Essos).

Tbh, Essos and The Wall is the best part of the books. Also, the Blackwood chapter was really good.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Tbh, Essos and The Wall is the best part of the books. Also, the Blackwood chapter was really good.
Guess I was wrong - what do you like about essos?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dorne was pretty cool pre-ADWD. Between the Viper and Doran's little "Fire and blood" speech, it had plenty of potential. A shame it went up in flames with Frog.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

kcroy posted:

Guess I was wrong - what do you like about essos?

Slavery I'm still eagerly anticipating gurm transporting the Dothraki from Essos to Westeros. After that Essos can gently caress off.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Dothraki have been out of the picture since the end of A Game of Thrones, man.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Dothraki have been out of the picture since the end of A Game of Thrones, man.
They showed back up at the end of ADWD to witness Dany getting poo poo done.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, but didn't GRRM say that it was a problem that they killed Mago in the show, because he had plans for him to show up later and do important stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Urdnot Fire posted:

Dany getting poo poo done.

ohyou.jpg :)

This is how much i like essos.

Best possible outcome in the books: Dragons burn the whole loving place to the ground, and we all go to rape and pilliage in westeros. Essos is relegated to some place "over the sea" that no one ever talks about again, except in flashback.

Worst outcome: Westeros is completely overrun by wights and walkers, everyone flees to exile in Essos, and we have to read about Essos for x more books.

note: "Wight & Walkers" sounds like where the dapper zombies shop for top hats.

edit: warning: serious posting.

why aren't there walkers in essos? How come their old people aren't always talking about winters that last forever? Why don't they have a magic loving wall to keep night at bay. I mean they clearly have zombie sharks and stuff. Is it just old stark women who remember Long Winters? You'd think those horsemen, who are REALLY into lore and passed down traditions and poo poo... shouldn't they mention winter at least a few 100 times? I mean what do those loving horsemen do when winter comes? Bunker down and eat their horses for a decade or so?

Does Essos have some equivalent to the "white raven" system for letting people know that winter is coming, and they are all gonna die?

It's like those fuckers are on a different planet. One with the sole purpose of being a proving ground for potential Westeros conquerors.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 30, 2013