Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not shoddy craftsmanship! The controller ships in pieces so you know where the batteries go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

JazzFlight posted:

I'm watching a UI software tour that someone just uploaded here:

Ahahaha the web browser is terrible but that's ok because "it's a system for playing games".

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not shoddy craftsmanship! The controller ships in pieces so you know where the batteries go!

See some of you think Waffleman is making a funny Internet joke here, but this is actually a thing one of the sycophants says in the unboxing video.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 30, 2013

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

OUYA: Some Assembly Required

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Der Shovel posted:

Ahahaha the web browser is terrible but that's ok because "it's a system for playing games".

They probably opened too many tabs, I hear that can really slow things down...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cantorsdust posted:

They probably opened too many tabs, I hear that can really slow things down...

When will someone make a People's Internet Machine to free us from this tyranny? When will man be able to open 58 tabs and play Wizorb at the same time?!

EDIT: ahaha they didn't even bother cleaning up the stock Android settings menu so now you can among other things see how much battery your Ouya has remaining :toot:

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 30, 2013

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

See some of you think Waffleman is making a funny Internet joke here, but this is actually a thing one of the sycophants says in the unboxing video.

That's actually a pretty common practice my car was shipped to me in pieces so I would know where the spare tyre goes. How else would I find out?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Madcosby posted:

Here's Ouya-developer master Dreamzle's game; which is on that list for sale right now: The Secret of Universe Alpha (not sure if that's the name of the universe or the build).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniKH9Yfl5Y

Perfect music selection.

I think I've spent too much time in this thread, I think I need to buy a AAA twin-stick shooter knock off to remember what textures look like

I would recognize the background they used for the first level from miles away; it's wikipedia's stock picture of a luminous red nova! :eng101:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

If my computer didn't power on instantly, I'd worry something was wrong with my PSU :v:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

I kept looking for the goatse that I knew was photoshopped in there somewhere.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Vulpine Complex posted:

Oh boy, UGANDA unboxing videos!

I just about died when he pulls the paper back to reveal the controller in pieces.

Wait, so the faceplates are shipped freefloating at the top of the box? Not even a protective sleeve? Aluminum is so soft and so easily scratched that they're going to get so many complaints about faceplates damaged during shipping.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Meat Recital posted:

Wait, so the faceplates are shipped freefloating at the top of the box? Not even a protective sleeve? Aluminum is so soft and so easily scratched that they're going to get so many complaints about faceplates damaged during shipping.

So you van buy custom replacement faceplates.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Toffile posted:

So you van buy custom replacement faceplates.

Or 3D print your own faceplates.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Meat Recital posted:

Honestly, they probably aren't intentionally loose. The controller build quality is such that they came loose during transportation. The guy in the unboxing video is just making excuses.

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher
I wanna shake every BOIOIOING supporter who thinks the console will be a "revolution" until their brain damage renders them harmless.

Which, given what I have heard, shouldn't take long.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wait, every single console has the top backers written on one side?

Amazing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

gschmidl posted:

Amazing.

I think just the first run. They have a habit of giving the earliest adopters worse versions what with plastic dev consoles and now this.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Der Shovel posted:

Everyone who supports the OUYA has this bizarre excuse pathology. It sounds like something Xboxpants would say.

Oh the controller is in pieces because its better!

lovely games priced over $15? Its better for the system to have overpriced shovelware.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

Everyone who supports the OUYA has this bizarre excuse pathology. It sounds like something Xboxpants would say.

Oh the controller is in pieces because its better!

lovely games priced over $15? Its better for the system to have overpriced shovelware.

I think I found a term for this.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

If there has been any hardware failures, I would like to hear the explanation on how this legitimizes it as a real console.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

gschmidl posted:

Amazing.

quote:

Pledge $10,000 or more

12 backers Limited (8 of 20 left)

The Angel List. The entire first production run of consoles will have YOUR USERNAME and BACKER NUMBER ENGRAVED INTO IT (and of course you'll get one). We’ll invite you and a friend to a private dinner before our launch party with our inner circle of game developers and designers. And, of course, we’ll love you forever.

Estimated delivery: Mar 2013

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Grinning Goblin posted:

If there has been any hardware failures, I would like to hear the explanation on how this legitimizes it as a real console.

The Xbox 360 has RRODs and it's totally a real console! So the PIECEOFSHIT hardware failures are deliberate, too. :v:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

raditts posted:

I didn't spend months claiming that, it's something I said once like 5 months ago. I didn't even remember writing it, honestly.
And I don't have much of a problem saying I was wrong about it since I don't really give that much of a poo poo.

That's fair, it's true that he didn't usually make claims like that, and usually just said more tempered stuff like "realistically, this won't come out" or something. I didn't remember exactly what was said either. I went back & looked it up because I was worried that I had put a deadline on my prediction, and I wanted to check.

raditts posted:

I mean the controllers are reportedly hot garbage and barely work, but they are shipping with the thing so I guess he's got me there.

But what's wrong with the controller? I thought people in the thread were saying the input lag is a result of the fact that it uses Android, not anything wrong with the controller. We should make a list of the problems with the system. I'm gonna start that in my next post, I think. Feel free to start tossing out suggestions.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

XboxPants posted:

But what's wrong with the controller?

The piece of poo poo falls apart in transit.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I feel like I'm missing something. What makes the OUYA ripe for so much ridicule that it deserves a thread for it? Isn't it just one of those android on a stick things but with a customized UI and console focused? The marketing I've seen for this thing is a bit out there, but I don't feel it's any worse than what EA or Activision puts out. I actually feel with the recent Sim City debacle that OUYA's bizarre marketing is tame in comparison. It's a bit endearing how genuine their enthusiasm feels, even if it is misguided and incredibly naive.

Basically if this device plays emulators and XBMC it seems like a solid $100 device even if that's not their intentions. Is there more to the hilarity that I'm missing?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

XboxPants posted:

We should make a list of the problems with the system.

It's a cheap piece of poo poo masquerading as a gamer revolution when it's just a delivery vehicle for a useless store run by the kind of people who think Amazon one-click and hotels keeping your credit card at the desk are the exact same thing.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Is there more to the hilarity that I'm missing?

I was confused too until I clicked the ? next to XboxPants posts.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I feel like I'm missing something. What makes the OUYA ripe for so much ridicule that it deserves a thread for it? Isn't it just one of those android on a stick things but with a customized UI and console focused? The marketing I've seen for this thing is a bit out there, but I don't feel it's any worse than what EA or Activision puts out. I actually feel with the recent Sim City debacle that OUYA's bizarre marketing is tame in comparison. It's a bit endearing how genuine their enthusiasm feels, even if it is misguided and incredibly naive.

Basically if this device plays emulators and XBMC it seems like a solid $100 device even if that's not their intentions. Is there more to the hilarity that I'm missing?

The only thing that could make it better is if the Ouya looked like an egg and had a clock on it. Also filter XboxPants.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Basically if this device plays emulators and XBMC it seems like a solid $100 device even if that's not their intentions.

Except you can get things that do that for $30-$50, and even get a controller to use with them for $15 for a total price of $45-$65. So it's still not a good idea to get.

So no, it's not a solid $100 device.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The piece of poo poo falls apart in transit.

"Some assembly required."

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Mercury Crusader posted:

"Some assembly required."

"Batteries not included."

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
The more I read poo poo from fanboys, the more they remind me of bitcoiners:

quote:

David Cheatham about 1 hour ago
lots of complaints and threats not enough construction. to may "you've failed me" posts and not enough well could you implement this payment system instead? also to many that lambast for not implementing a specific payment system and still complaining about "failure" this is a new venture with a brand new service things will change things will fall by the wayside but gratuitously complaining about every little fault is NOT HELPING suggest improvements don't just complain about the faults

Why the hell do people think repackaging existing technology makes it brand new just because the people trying to do it don't have a clue what they're doing?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

Except you can get things that do that for $30-$50, and even get a controller to use with them for $15 for a total price of $45-$65. So it's still not a good idea to get.

So no, it's not a solid $100 device.

I've bought them and no, they are terrible. They don't have enough power. I'm hoping the tegra 3 is able to perform better. If there is another tegra 3 android unit for sub $100 please point me to it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Not powerful enough to run emulators and play H.264 video?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

limaCAT posted:

"Batteries not included."

Imagine future* OYAJI SKUs including a rechargeable battery (that is as well built as the controller (there's a drat hole burned through the box))!

* haha future

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I've bought them and no, they are terrible. They don't have enough power. I'm hoping the tegra 3 is able to perform better. If there is another tegra 3 android unit for sub $100 please point me to it.

While not an Android device, this could be done piss easily with a PSP. Plus, owning a PSP would still give you all that warm fuzzy buyer's remorse you would've gotten from the OUYA.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

While not an Android device, this could be done piss easily with a PSP. Plus, owning a PSP would still give you all that warm fuzzy buyer's remorse you would've gotten from the OUYA.

I own a vita so I'm more than familiar with that.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I can't imagine how pissed I would be if I realized that dumb indie thing I casually threw money at has my loving name on it. What else can any of those people be thinking right now?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Now hold on, that's not a fair comparison at all.

At least he PSP has at least one game people would probably want to play, also it doesn't come out of the box in pieces.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Which ones have you bought? This one runs everything N64/PSX and under great, and runs XBMC perfectly too: http://www.amazon.com/MK808-Android-Rockchip-RK3066-Cortex-A9/dp/B009OX22B4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1364675689&sr=8-6&keywords=MK809

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

XboxPants posted:

That's fair, it's true that...
Dude, how may times are you gonna have to say that?

Also, lol Ouya.

• Locked thread