Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

89 posted:

It's ticketmaster customer support, so I dunno.

It worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So, listening to My Education's Sunrise, it strikes me that post-rock has bona fide "standards" now (I guess Tortoise were onto something).

What I mean is, in the face of people who say "post-rock all sounds the same", there actually are songs which are incredibly similar to the point that it must be intentional?

Compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ4lQZb-ho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Mot5iGloY

I'm pretty sure that Mogwai have a song just like that ("Ex-Cowboy" comes close but it's not quite there), and several other bands, but "Sit in the Middle..." was what I immediately recognized as being the oldest one that was so definitely "that".

They use the exact same melody and drum sound (that snare roll!), the strings are very similar, etc. Obviously "Lust" is more complex, but it's built on the same base.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Google isn't helping with a rather dumb question, hopefully some of you guys can help out.

I'm going to see Sigur Ros in a couple of days and was wondering what sort of things they had for sale at their concerts, just t-shirts or what? (I know, go ahead and laugh but it's been YEARS since I've been to a show.) What are the prices like?

I don't want to carry a huge pocketful of cash, I'd rather carry about what I expect to spend, or do the vendors take credit/debit cards?

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

iostream.h posted:

Google isn't helping with a rather dumb question, hopefully some of you guys can help out.

I'm going to see Sigur Ros in a couple of days and was wondering what sort of things they had for sale at their concerts, just t-shirts or what? (I know, go ahead and laugh but it's been YEARS since I've been to a show.) What are the prices like?

I don't want to carry a huge pocketful of cash, I'd rather carry about what I expect to spend, or do the vendors take credit/debit cards?

Large selection of t-shirts (tour ones with dates, album art, girls cut, etc), hoodies, posters and usually some buttons/pins. Maybe some other things like scarves or something. Check out their official store for ideas, they will likely have all new merch for this tour as well.

Shirts will be $30-$40, hoodies $60+, posters $20 and other stuff cheaper. Do not expect to see actual cds or records for sale.

Most of these venues have debit/credit options now but always bring cash just in case.

I'm seeing them wednesday and friday next week.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Bliggers- posted:

Large selection of t-shirts (tour ones with dates, album art, girls cut, etc), hoodies, posters and usually some buttons/pins. Maybe some other things like scarves or something. Check out their official store for ideas, they will likely have all new merch for this tour as well.

Shirts will be $30-$40, hoodies $60+, posters $20 and other stuff cheaper. Do not expect to see actual cds or records for sale.

Most of these venues have debit/credit options now but always bring cash just in case.

Hey, thanks very much!

That's kind of what I expected, I just wanted to be somewhat sure. Disappointing about no vinyl for sale (I'd read that a lot of post-rock and alternate bands do limited pressings and stuff) but not a big thing.

I'll be seeing them in Boston on Tuesday, will you be there?
Been into them for a long, long time now but I've never been in a position to see them live, I absolutely can not wait. Like I said, first live show for me in years, so it's a big deal.
Does anyone know if the venue in Boston has wheelchairs available for use? I had surgery recently and I'm a little worried about going in whilst wearing my 'bootie'. (I should stay home, but gently caress that, I travelled 1200 miles for this show, ain't no way in hell I'm missing it.)

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

iostream.h posted:

Bliggers- posted:

Just saw them last night, and, from what I recall, Bliggers is right - there were a handful of T shirts at $30, and some hoodies at $60. Nothing really mindblowing unfortunately.

However what WAS mindblowing was the show. I honestly only know one or two Sigur Ros songs, but the whole concert was spectacularly done and beautiful. Definitely recommended to go see them on this tour if you're on the fence.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

iostream.h posted:

Hey, thanks very much!

That's kind of what I expected, I just wanted to be somewhat sure. Disappointing about no vinyl for sale (I'd read that a lot of post-rock and alternate bands do limited pressings and stuff) but not a big thing.

I'll be seeing them in Boston on Tuesday, will you be there?
Been into them for a long, long time now but I've never been in a position to see them live, I absolutely can not wait. Like I said, first live show for me in years, so it's a big deal.
Does anyone know if the venue in Boston has wheelchairs available for use? I had surgery recently and I'm a little worried about going in whilst wearing my 'bootie'. (I should stay home, but gently caress that, I travelled 1200 miles for this show, ain't no way in hell I'm missing it.)

I am going to Montreal and Ottawa, I could have hit Toronto too but I figured two shows is enough. I've seen them twice before.

You should call the venue and inquire about wheelchairs, they might even get you better seats than what you currently have. Plan to show up early, like half an hour before doors open.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Sigur Ros pretty much killed last night. They played a couple of news songs and all I can say is the new direction they're taking is unbelievably awesome

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Ungratek posted:

Sigur Ros pretty much killed last night. They played a couple of news songs and all I can say is the new direction they're taking is unbelievably awesome
I've never cared much about Sigur Ros, but that new song they played on Fallon was pretty great. Not great enough to pay a premium for lovely seats at an arena show 100 miles away next weekend, but I'll definitely give Kveikur a chance.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

precision posted:

Mogwai's soundtrack to Les Revenants is pretty good. Better than their Zidane soundtrack, not as good as their proper albums.

Wizard Motor however is as good as anything they have done imo. The Soundtrack is fantastic though.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Bliggers- posted:

You should call the venue and inquire about wheelchairs, they might even get you better seats than what you currently have. Plan to show up early, like half an hour before doors open.
Holy God they were incredible tonight. Incidentally, they had a wheelchair service and after the concert got me out the back door to the loading dock and the drummer was standing there grabbing a smoke.

We talked for a moment, he asked about my foot and if I needed help (he seemed sincerely concerned and very very nice) and graciously signed the Varud 7" vinyl I picked up earlier on my way in.

These guys are loving INCREDIBLE live. I'm absolutely exhausted.
I'm still cracking up over 'you can not walk and you came to see us play?'.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 28, 2013

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Sweet 7" records on the merch table? I am so on that.

Glad you had a great time, I'm out the door on the 3 hour drive to Montreal!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Just listened to the Wang Wen part of the pg.lost / Wang Wen split. Apparently they've been making post rock music in Dalian, China since 1999 :china: Good stuff.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...
I just discovered Clever Girl from an automated suggestion based on Console Warriors. I can't pin what it is about their sound but it's so tranquil and addicting. I can't stop listening to their stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lztAP0jNLds

edit: Also their logo is brilliant. Best logo in the history of best logos.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Everyone loving go see Sigur Ros on this tour holy good sweet lord what a pair of shows I just witnessed.

Seriously go. This has to be the best they have ever been live.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bliggers- posted:

Everyone loving go see Sigur Ros on this tour holy good sweet lord what a pair of shows I just witnessed.

Seriously go. This has to be the best they have ever been live.

I'm going to Tuesday after next and I can't wait oh god :ohdear:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

On the seventh I'm seeing Jeff Mangum and then on the 12th, 16th and 17th I'm seeing Sigur Rós. It's going to be the best month.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm going to Tuesday after next and I can't wait oh god :ohdear:

If you are on the floor, ask the lighting guy for a setlist, he's the only one with a copy except for those on the stage. I got the Montreal setlist but someone beat me to the Ottawa one because I was in the seats and didn't get there in time.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
The sound is incredible. The light show is just perfect. The crowds are respectful and enthusiastic. It's everything you could want from a concert. Montreal was a massive with the stage pushed back quite far but the stage in Ottawa was smaller and much closer to the seats.

Set-times:
Tim Hecker 8:00-8:30
Sigur Ros 9:00-11:00

Merchandise:
Hoodies $60
Shirts (about 6 different styles/colours) $35
Bandana $20
Box of guitar picks $15
Valtari 2xLP $30
Varud 10" $15
Valtari CD $15
Valtari Films DVD $15
Poster $20

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Additionally, the quality of the hoodie and t-shirt is really nice, very MUCH so for the hoodie, I was very impressed.

I snagged a hoodie, t-shirt, bandanna and the Varud 10". Incidentally, the 10" plays from the inside out, trick as hell. The other stuff, picks and all can be snagged from their website.

Bliggers- posted:

The crowds are respectful and enthusiastic.
This was one of the most amazing things.
Seriously, I'm still in awe, this was one of the most amazing shows I've been to in my life.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

iostream.h posted:

Additionally, the quality of the hoodie and t-shirt is really nice, very MUCH so for the hoodie, I was very impressed.

I snagged a hoodie, t-shirt, bandanna and the Varud 10". Incidentally, the 10" plays from the inside out, trick as hell. The other stuff, picks and all can be snagged from their website.

This was one of the most amazing things.
Seriously, I'm still in awe, this was one of the most amazing shows I've been to in my life.

I've mentioned this before but the first time I saw them I over heard the security staff saying "this is the quietest crowd I've ever seen."

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I've mentioned this before but the first time I saw them I over heard the security staff saying "this is the quietest crowd I've ever seen."
It was the best crowd ever this side of that of a chamber orchestra.
Also, the only word spoken by any band member was a muttered 'thanks' at one point by Jonsi. No chatter, no speeches, nothing but music. It was GLORIOUS.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm so loving excited for this show :allears:

How are the designs for their shirts? I'm not gonna have much money to spend when the show comes around, and $35 is a lot to spend on a shirt. Plus the reason I don't own a Sigur Ros shirt already is because I've never seen a design I really liked. Same with Explosions in the Sky. But if they have cool shirts, I'll get one.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

I'm not sure which ones are actually sold at the gigs (missed the first UK leg, thank gently caress they announced an arena tour later this year) but you can see the spring tour shirts here:
http://sigur-ros-store.com/t-shirts/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I'm not overwhelmingly thrilled about any of those :(

I have shirts for a few of my other favorite post rock bands (Caspian, Pelican, and Isis off the top of my head), but because they all had really badass designs that I didn't want to pass up.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I have shirts for a few of my other favorite post rock bands (Caspian, Pelican, and Isis off the top of my head), but because they all had really badass designs that I didn't want to pass up.
The black shirt with the silver writing is absolutely beautiful. It's not flashy and doesn't have a design but it's very striking in person.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Bliggers- posted:

If you are on the floor, ask the lighting guy for a setlist, he's the only one with a copy except for those on the stage. I got the Montreal setlist but someone beat me to the Ottawa one because I was in the seats and didn't get there in time.

Holy poo poo this is a great tip I wonder if that's true for other gigs, I hate getting ignored down the front.

Not that I don't already have a collection of post-rock setlists but I need MORE!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Where do I find the lighting guy???? I'm gonna be in Austin for Sigur Ros for next Wednesday holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo HOLY poo poo!!!!

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Gifts from Enola are breaking up

Gifts from Enola posted:

After seven years, we've decided to put Gifts From Enola to sleep. For those who didn't pick up on the subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) hints, we knew that A Healthy Fear would be the last thing we were going to do for a long while. The band slowly became a full-time occupation over the years, and once we all graduated college, we had the opportunity to hit the road non-stop and hang on to the music industry zipline by our fingertips the best we could. Despite all of the incredible experiences we had, the experiment left us vehicleless and in financial discomfort after a handful of years of grinding it out full-time. We decided to let our frustrations and any negativity out the best way we knew how; writing songs and recording an album. This eventually became that new one with the guillotine on it, A Healthy Fear. Since completing that record, we've transitioned from constantly living and breathing all things Gifts From Enola, to hopping into the "real world" and placing the band much further down on our respective priority lists. It's caused a strange feeling, and one that's similar to when you sense a long-distance relationship weakening over time. Instead of drawing it out and existing as a band that plays a couple of shows every year, we'd rather cut the cord now and go out with an album that we think does a good job at defining everything we wanted to do under the name Gifts From Enola.

We're incredibly grateful for the experiences we had and the fact that our long, riffy rock songs let us see places of the world we never thought we'd see as musicians. Anybody who ever picks up an instrument should make the attempt to record music and tour with your friends because it's an incomparable experience. Don't set lofty goals or have ridiculous expectations; just enjoy traveling and playing music because you're doing exactly that. One of the main reasons we decided to break up now was because we didn't want to lose sight of that. We got whatever ill will we felt towards the struggles of being a full-time touring band out of our system on A Healthy Fear, and are now able to reflect on everything we did with smiles. That may not have happened if we kept trying to push it.

Or maybe we just got freaked out from watching that Anvil documentary one too many times.

Either way, we're super glad that we decided to hit the road when we could over the past six months to play these new songs live and see as many of our home-away-from-home friends as we could one more time before we self-destructed. We had an amazing couple of jaunts, and were able to appreciate the experiences more than ever. We're still the tightest of friends with one another and are going to keep playing music together in a variety of different contexts. We'll make sure to announce all related projects as they come to fruition. Who knows, maybe much further down the road we'll put on our Gifts From Enola jerseys again and release something new; but for the foreseeable future, this is it for us.

We want to thank everyone who has been involved with the band at any point during our little career. That includes tour mates, local friends, global friends, internet friends, anyone who ever booked a show, gave us a place to stay, bought merch, played our records for their friends, sent us encouraging e-mails, helped jump one of our vehicles on the side of the road, or got weird enough to fit into our encyclopedia's worth of inside jokes and tall tales that will make us laugh forever. There are far too many individuals to list; but we truly believe you know who you are. All of you made a handful of 18-19 year old kids that were just trying to learn how to use Garage Band very happy over the years.

Now that it's all done, we're leaving everyone with four full-length albums and two split records that show, if nothing else, a band with an honest desire to change. No matter how little or big the changes may have been, or how apparent our growing pains may have seemed, we always wanted to try new things and never wanted to become complacent with a specific sound. Regardless of if you like our old material, new material, or none of the above, we do hope that people can appreciate our aspirations to challenge ourselves and evolve despite the unfortunately deep pigeonhole we had to (and continue to) dig out of.

We're going to be playing one final show in our town of conception, Harrisonburg, VA, at Blue Nile on June 8th. We plan on celebrating the past seven years to the fullest and playing plenty of material off of all our releases. Come party with us one more time.

Farewell friends, we love you.
-Gifts From Enola

See you motherfuckers in Harrisonburg on the 8th.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

89 posted:

Where do I find the lighting guy???? I'm gonna be in Austin for Sigur Ros for next Wednesday holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo HOLY poo poo!!!!

He's right behind the sound guy on the floor.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SgtScruffy posted:

That sucks :( They weren't one of my favorite post-rock bands, but they definitely had some good tunes.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I was into Gifts early in my post-rock history, about the same time I was into God is an Astronaut, but I haven't listened to them in years and I actually learned about the breakup from Youth Pictures' facebook page. It's always sad to see a band break up, but honestly, if I had to pick a post-rock band I've listened to to break up, Gifts would be on the shortlist.

On another note, I'm going to be seeing Sigur Rós in Phoenix, Oakland, San Francisco and possibly Bend. Anyone else hitting those shows?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I was into Gifts early in my post-rock history, about the same time I was into God is an Astronaut, but I haven't listened to them in years and I actually learned about the breakup from Youth Pictures' facebook page. It's always sad to see a band break up, but honestly, if I had to pick a post-rock band I've listened to to break up, Gifts would be on the shortlist.

On another note, I'm going to be seeing Sigur Rós in Phoenix, Oakland, San Francisco and possibly Bend. Anyone else hitting those shows?

I got into post-rock through GIAA as well. All is Violent, All is Bright was something of a revelation for me when I heard it. I can't say their other albums ever grabbed me, but AIVAIB will always have a special place in my heart because it turned me onto so much good music. I discovered GIAA because they ended up on the bill for Damnation Festival in 2011, the rest of the lineup was metal orientated, but Ulver (who only play their more experimental stuff live) and GIAA headlined the 2nd and 3rd stages respectively. I still don't listen to the greatest variety of post-rock bands, but I sure do love the ones I listen to.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Isis has awesome artwork and designs. The artwork for Wavering Radiant is some of my favourite stuff in post-rock.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'll be hitting up the Oakland show, so stay out of my way bro.

Also seeing an abbreviated set at Coachella, so that should be a nice teaser.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

That's a shame. I liked From Fathoms enough to drive a few hours out of town to catch them on that tour (and snag the gorgeous translucent/swirly orange and green vinyl). They sort of fell off my radar after that, and their last album in particular was just screamy and terrible, but you still don't like to see anyone calling it quits.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

WoG posted:

That's a shame. I liked From Fathoms enough to drive a few hours out of town to catch them on that tour (and snag the gorgeous translucent/swirly orange and green vinyl). They sort of fell off my radar after that, and their last album in particular was just screamy and terrible, but you still don't like to see anyone calling it quits.

Yeah, From Fathoms is definitely their best in my opinion; though I do appreciate that they never wanted to be a band that made "Quiet loud quiet soothing" Post-Rock album after album, and they tried new things. They just did "regular" post-rock very well, and the newer stuff not-so-well, so I didn't like the change.

The cool part is it's entirely possible some of Caspian will be at the show - I saw GFE in DC, and there were like, 20 people in the audience, two or three of which were members of Caspian, so I'd assume they'd be at their last show to show some love :3:

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 4, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I should be at the SF show with a half dozen other people. I haven't really cared about the band in over a decade, but it's been quite a while since I've bothered to go to a "big" show.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm convinced the first song in this trailer is by a post rock band. Help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFmi1E3s3w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

ravenkult posted:

I'm convinced the first song in this trailer is by a post rock band. Help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eFmi1E3s3w

I tried the whole For A Minor Reflection discography and nothing. That was my first thought.