Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Zzulu posted:

I always wanted to see how they edited posters before Photoshop or similiar programs were around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Is that some Grace Jones?

Yeah, they used airbrushing a whole lot back in those days. That's why Playboy photos had this kinda fuzzy quality back then.

Composition was like some sort of dark magic back then. I remember watching the Blade Runner supplemental footage, where there was one featurette that was nothing but reels of effects footage and how they put it together shots. I remember that they had to shoot those Tyrell headquarters passes multiple times with different film effects, like the source footage, a mask shot, a backmask shot, then lights, then mask shots for the lights...

Nowadays, you can just do it once or twice, do a vector mask in Adobe Premiere or After Effects and tweak it frame by frame.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Speaking of randy robots, how about this Italian poster for Saturn 3?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Young Freud posted:

Composition was like some sort of dark magic back then. I remember watching the Blade Runner supplemental footage, where there was one featurette that was nothing but reels of effects footage and how they put it together shots. I remember that they had to shoot those Tyrell headquarters passes multiple times with different film effects, like the source footage, a mask shot, a backmask shot, then lights, then mask shots for the lights...
Not only that, they were doing all of that on the same piece of film. They'd rewind the camera, do an exposure, rewind again, do another exposure, etc. It was either that, or shoot all the elements on separate pieces of film, and composite them via optical printer, which could be just as big a pain in the rear end.

EDIT: Sweet Jesus.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 30, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Robert Denby posted:

Well, they managed to line up all the actor images with their credits! That's actually kind of impressive.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Robert Denby posted:

Not only that, they were doing all of that on the same piece of film. They'd rewind the camera, do an exposure, rewind again, do another exposure, etc. It was either that, or shoot all the elements on separate pieces of film, and composite them via optical printer, which could be just as big a pain in the rear end.

Plus a printer would degrade the image quality more- you can see it in a lot of pre-digital process shots, everything's more grainy. (The old Star Trek was especially bad for this, which is why they re-did all the effects for the HD release.)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Robert Denby posted:

I don't think I've heard of half of those actors. Or maybe I have but they're just so unimportant that I forgot about them.

Then again, that should apply to Donal Logue but I remember him...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Now I have a legendary music nightclub.

Ho. Ho. Ho.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The bathroom at CBs was really more made up to look disgusting than actually disgusting. Weird tag line.

There doesn't seem to be a My Mars Bar Movie poster :(

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't think I've heard of half of those actors. Or maybe I have but they're just so unimportant that I forgot about them.

Then again, that should apply to Donal Logue but I remember him...

It's sad that I recognized Malin Ackerman as Debbie Harry and caught one of the Ramones in that line-up. Completely missed the girl playing Patti Smith. The guy playing Iggy Pop looks so out of place, but looking the actor on IMDB, could be a dead ringer for him.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

spanky the dolphin posted:

From the Gauntlet to the Glove:

My recollection of the Glove is that it's a really pleasant movie - all of the characters are super likable, and Rosey Grier takes some time out of his escape to teach a little kid to play the guitar. Even John Saxon's grizzled bounty hunter has some morals. Plus, that amazing theme song.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That guy playing Iggy is the Foo Fighters drummer. That's an.....interesting choice.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cleretic posted:

So this beauty turned up in the AusPol thread.

I assume this is part of a series, and a bunch of countries are getting a poster of their robot, right? Because this sounds like an awesome idea.

EDIT: I like that the Australian robot wields nice, big knives.

They also come in trading card form.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not going to lie, I wasn't sold on Pacific Rim at all until I saw those cards. Something about them just tickles my manchild nature, especially Cherno Alpha's brutalist design with the nuclear theming. Now all we need are some good Lovecraftian monsters to fight and I'm there.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It seems a little odd that Japan has the worst giant mecha of the group

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The MSJ posted:

They also come in trading card form.

Christ, Australia is loving awesome at building giant robots.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Given the title I think it's equal parts talent and matters of necessity. Though that still doesn't excuse Japan.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I honestly hope there's some awesome back story built up behind this movie to explain how this seemingly goes against every individual Kaiju/Mecha trope. Maybe the aliens have Godzilla'd Japan already, so they haven't really had a chance to build anything to defend themselves until recently? This would explain why Russia is such a powerhouse ("We do not have problem for finding Power Source.") and Australia got to use its isolation to build up the Mecha-equivalent of 80's Hulk Hogan.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Island Nation posted:

It seems a little odd that Japan has the worst giant mecha of the group

They probably have one giant mecha and thousands of smaller ones. Or every citizen has a mecha.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Given the title I think it's equal parts talent and matters of necessity. Though that still doesn't excuse Japan.

Maybe del Toro is being true to life and making Japan bad at anything involving weapons.

Seriously, most of Japan's indigenous-designed weapon systems, the stuff not taken bought or licensed from America or European arms manufacturers, tend to be really poor. There's some exceptions, like the AM6 Zero, Type 89 rifle, the Type 90 tank, and the OH-1 Ninja seems to be the Comanche reborn, but most of it is oddly overly complex, ill-suited to task give to it, and poor ergonomics.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It is also supposed to be one of the first mechs built.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I would be excited if it didn't just look like a modernized remake of Robot Jox.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

Help! My relative is a cannibal!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
^^^^^I can't speak for the rest, but Parents is actually a really good movie and not at all in the class of cheese those posters suggest.

Young Freud posted:

So, when the film was put on video, guess what direction they went with...

:wtc:

"Hello? Hello!? This phone is a piece of poo poo!"

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 31, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

So much cannibal cleavage...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Parents is a loving great movie.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I feel a little bad I legitimately laughed at "he suspects something is a foot."

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I like that they show Auntie Lee as a straight-haired blonde and then show the woman playing her who is a curly-haired redhead. No need for any consistency with a movie like this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ShufflerZero missed one...

And, yes, that's John "Cliff Claven" Ratzenberger off to the right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pacific Rim: I just noticed the Kill Count on Australia. Although maybe that just means we get attacked the most. Russia's still looks the most awesome. Also, I assume it wasn't a case of every country going off to built its own mecha by itself, rather than a collaborative effort and each country getting control of one customized one.

As posters they're pretty awesome; I wonder if we'll be seeing Eureka Striker ones put up specifically down here.

I have to question the Pacific Rim tagline, though. "To fight monsters, we created monsters". But usually in stuff like this, that means... monstrous. And they're not really that at all. They're huge, but they're just big robots. Unless they're alive and slightly evil, it seems like a terrible line.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 31, 2013

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MikeJF posted:

I have to question the Pacific Rim tagline, though. "To fight monsters, we created monsters". But usually in stuff like this, that means... monstrous. And they're not really that at all. They're huge, but they're just big robots. Unless they're alive and slightly evil, it seems like a terrible line.

Plot twist: halfway through Pacific Rim turns out to be a live action adoptation of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Maybe they use defeated monsters to make the robots? It would explain why Japan has the worst one (first one made of a monster wrecked by conventional means) and each subsequent country/collaboration has improved on the "defeat but not destroy".

Kinda how Mecha Godzilla 2 or 3 was built using the bones of the original Godzilla.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I am really excited for this even though the only Guillermo del Toro movies I have seen are Hellboy 1 (which I barely remember) and 2 (which I thought was dumb as all hell).

Mierenneuker posted:

Plot twist: halfway through Pacific Rim turns out to be a live action adoptation of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

It loving better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I don't know much about the plot, but could that be referring to the pilots? I could see them doing something with that. Regardless, the new tag line is apparently “Go Big, or Go Extinct” according to the WonderCon preview.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't know, I think 80m tall titanic warmachines designed only to destroy, loaded with nuclear reactors and guns are pretty monstrous enough as it is

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Zzulu posted:

I don't know, I think 80m tall titanic warmachines designed only to destroy, loaded with nuclear reactors and guns are pretty monstrous enough as it is

Noo! Giant nuclear death robots were meant to help mankind, not destroy them!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ShufflerZero posted:

Help! My relative is a cannibal!

I adore posters like these but they can never live up to the promise of the awesomely creepy and oddly evocative drawings.

Much like in Metal Gear Solid when a scientist working on the Metal Gear project (a walking tank that can fire intercontinental nukes) is shocked to find out that Metal Gear has been hijacked--to use nukes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Parents absolutely does. It completely delivers what the poster promises.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I am really excited for this even though the only Guillermo del Toro movies I have seen are Hellboy 1 (which I barely remember) and 2 (which I thought was dumb as all hell).

Go loving watch Pan's Labyrinth and don't come back till you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Go watch every Del Toro movie.