Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm only tangentially related to this one (ADing) but one of my friends from film school is adapting an SCP Foundation story for his final project. He's been working with the guys who run the site as well as the original author of the story, and with any luck will be able to make the first actually good film version of one of these things. His pitch video shows more about it than I can do justice here, and he already has a short scene in there for it. So if you're interested in SCP stuff, check it out.

The style of the pitch video makes it seem like a MiB comedy. I haven't read Stairwell, but the other SCP entries I have read are more solemn and horrific. I like the pitch video because it lends itself to an impersonal government theme, which should serve the film well. What I didn't like is that it doesn't tell us anything about the film itself. I don't know who the characters are, what it's about besides a stairwell, what genre it is, etc. I think it's banking way too much on SCP and anyone knowing anything about that website. And he managed to jumble the acronym once on his campaign page.

quote:

By the way, it's flexible funding because, as a school project, it's going to get made regardless of how much money he gets. So if he only gets $100 it'll still exist in some form, just not as good as it could have been if he hit his goal. If you've got any questions feel free to ask me and I can relay them to him.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stairwell/x/2267777

Does he think he has a good chance at raising $5,000 with this campaign? Is that goal based on anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Maluco Marinero posted:

Also, just ignoring the above advice, is the idea and pitch convincing enough that you would pledge for it? You personally. I understand that my presentation has a very long way to go, but am I showing enough that you believe I'd be able to deliver what I'm promising?

I would donate, yeah. I think it's strong enough as a concept and you've shown you have some programming skills. Honestly though to succeed, you'll probably have to develop this as an extension to existing programs. It will be hard to pull people away from entrenched ecosystems like Apple, MS Outlook, Google Calendar/Docs etc. If you can tie this into those systems I think it'd be great.

As far as the kickstarter video goes...if you end up not being able to get a good camera (and don't forget you can always rent from sites like borrowlenses.com) then I'd ditch the video portion and stick with audio over a captured presentation.

Also slow it down a bit in the demo...it moves too fast.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

The style of the pitch video makes it seem like a MiB comedy. I haven't read Stairwell, but the other SCP entries I have read are more solemn and horrific. I like the pitch video because it lends itself to an impersonal government theme, which should serve the film well. What I didn't like is that it doesn't tell us anything about the film itself. I don't know who the characters are, what it's about besides a stairwell, what genre it is, etc. I think it's banking way too much on SCP and anyone knowing anything about that website. And he managed to jumble the acronym once on his campaign page.

The story itself is sticking really closely to the actual entry it's based upon, and there's a section of the pitch video with the producer that needs to be reshot that will be going over some of your other things. The impersonal government thing is one of the themes he's going for, so he'll be glad to hear you thought that came across. I'll let him know about the typo and your other feedback though.

E: He fixed the typo, and he's going to add in a more detailed breakdown of the characters in the synopsis section.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 7, 2013

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003
So I made a poster and put it up on Kickstarter. I originally just made the poster as an exercise in using CorelDraw, but some of my friends liked it and thought it would be a good Kickstarter project, so there ya go.

It's basically a bunch of old school video game controllers that I vectorized. It has already met its funding goal, but I would love a little SA pimpage if you guys like it.

Control Freak

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
I finally got my entry for my science fiction comedy novel on Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/354456633/hard-luck-hank-screw-the-galaxy

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Even though the last thing I made wasn't super well received around here, I'll just leave this here anyway. For our final project at film school we're making a short horror film. Everything you really need to know about it at this point is in the video and project description.

Swami
Jul 14, 2003

I'd like to show you guys my project. It's a card game called Child Beauty Pageant Tycoon

It's a 3-6 player card game where you get to play the role of one of the horrible mothers of beauty pageant contestants. The first mother to win 5 pageants through her children wins the game.

• You can get better children by digging into the gene pool by spending a night with a Stud
  • You can train your children to compete better with skills like Robot Building, Cheerleading, Ninja Training, or even just a Pact with the Devil
  • Use items to get an edge in the pageants, like celebrity endorsements, or use bad items against your opponents, like itching powder
  • If you can't afford to feed and clothe your children, you get a visit from Child Services to get a child taken away

I've worked hard on this project, and I'm proud of how fun it is to play. Unsurprisingly, there are people out there who aren't happy with the subject material. But I think that some on the SA Forums might be able to better appreciate it.

Go ahead and take a look at it here: http://kck.st/Xt6SRL

Thanks!

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Swami posted:

I've worked hard on this project, and I'm proud of how fun it is to play. Unsurprisingly, there are people out there who aren't happy with the subject material. But I think that some on the SA Forums might be able to better appreciate it.

Thanks!

I'm not stating my *own* opinion on this, but I do believe I have already seen your project featured in the GBS Awful Kickstarters thread.

Edit : Yup - page 197... but in your defense, they did state that since you are a goon they believe that it is a satirical Kickstarter, and then they offered some constructive criticism.

KittyLitter fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 13, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Swami posted:

Thanks!

Subject matter aside, $50 is a lot of money for a card game. I know some of the deckbuilding games are in that ballpark, but those are proven games with very dedicated followings. The art style is also very flowery which certainly matches your theme, but there might be a segment of gaming store grognards which put it back on the shelf because of that.

It would probably sell very well as an iOS app, but I don't know how much it would cost to implement and market for that platform.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I'm going for it! Thanks so much to BonoMan, Jalumibnkrayal, and Oh My Science for all the great feedback that's made this pitch so much better than what it started as.

I'm building a productivity application that makes your note taking much more powerful. Rather than having a different interface for notes, calendars, and tasks, you can manage the whole lot using plain text; meaning you can keep your hands on the keyboard and stay focused, getting it organized faster. Here's a demo video:

http://youtu.be/NLT0TlCm5SU

You can try the prototype at http://elephantneverforgets.com.au as well, it's an offline application so none of your data leaves your computer. I want to take what's in the prototype and build it up into a full service that covers desktop and mobile with sync and backup between the two. The crowdfunding campaign I'm running on Pozible will give me enough of a cash reserve to work on it full time to completion, as well as covering development costs, hosting and so forth. Also, it's a Fixed Funding campaign so no IndieGogo dodginess here.

Anyway, check out the campaign at http://pozible.com/elephantneverforgets, please pledge if you can, or share it around if you can't. Thanks heaps!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Maluco Marinero posted:

I'm going for it! Thanks so much to BonoMan, Jalumibnkrayal, and Oh My Science for all the great feedback that's made this pitch so much better than what it started as.

I'm building a productivity application that makes your note taking much more powerful. Rather than having a different interface for notes, calendars, and tasks, you can manage the whole lot using plain text; meaning you can keep your hands on the keyboard and stay focused, getting it organized faster. Here's a demo video:

You can try the prototype at http://elephantneverforgets.com.au as well, it's an offline application so none of your data leaves your computer. I want to take what's in the prototype and build it up into a full service that covers desktop and mobile with sync and backup between the two. The crowdfunding campaign I'm running on Pozible will give me enough of a cash reserve to work on it full time to completion, as well as covering development costs, hosting and so forth. Also, it's a Fixed Funding campaign so no IndieGogo dodginess here.

Anyway, check out the campaign at http://pozible.com/elephantneverforgets, please pledge if you can, or share it around if you can't. Thanks heaps!

FWIW I think this is a very well done campaign. It's just too bad you couldn't launch it on KS. :/

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

FWIW I think this is a very well done campaign. It's just too bad you couldn't launch it on KS. :/

Yeah, I know mate, thanks for the help. Bit slow going right now, trying to get any blog coverage is like sending messages out in a bottle for how much feedback I'm getting, which is unfortunate. Been trying emails out for the last 3 weeks with zero response. Anyway, still got time, just gonna keep plugging away at trying to get more exposure for the project, most important thing right now.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003
Hot on the heels of my successful poster project - I present to you the Zombie Hoodie : Link!

Basically, for the last 7 years we have been selling a hoodie that featured a skeleton print from front to back, top to bottom. Since we first launched it there have been a BUNCH of copycats, but nobody has been able to mimic the success of our original. A few years back we had an idea about making a Zombie version, but we could never afford to purchase the larger equipment needed to make it a reality.

Now, with the advent of Kickstarter, we will be able to get the job done.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Maluco Marinero posted:

Awesome, congrats! Just sent a pledge.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Thanks heaps for your pledge mate. Things are certainly a bit underwhelming at the moment, pretty much every blog I can think of in the space has largely ignored me, which is proving difficult. Just grinding my gears getting individual pledges out of people at the moment, which works for friends and family but I really need exposure if I'm gonna get anywhere with this. Lining up some more pieces of content though, explorations of features and what not, just gotta keep plugging away I guess.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I'm going to read and re-read this thread, hopefully I can glean whether it'd be useful for me to make a Kickstarter for my project or not. I'm still stuck on what I'd use for reward tiers :(

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Captain Capacitor posted:

I'm going to read and re-read this thread, hopefully I can glean whether it'd be useful for me to make a Kickstarter for my project or not. I'm still stuck on what I'd use for reward tiers :(

What kind of project is it? If you can avoid providing physical rewards, you'll probably save yourself a lot of headache.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

What kind of project is it? If you can avoid providing physical rewards, you'll probably save yourself a lot of headache.

It's a physical product I've been developing on my own. I've never done this sort of thing before, so I still have a lot of research left to do. I want to have a clear sense of what the production is going to be like before I ever put up a Kickstarter. The Kickstarter would just be for an extended production run, as well as some licensing fees I can't come up with as a student.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW
I am looking for some advice on what all I should have ready before making my kickstarter and the kinds of things I should include to give myself the best chance of succeeding. I am still trying to decide the kind of fundraiser drive I want to make but right now I'm thinking of asking for basic logistic costs plus some money for equipment/paying people. My idea is a website where I can create profiles of sorts for the homeless people in my town (Austin) as they tend to stay in the same areas and if you move around in the city you'll recognize them. This is going to be specifically targeting homeless people at intersections to start. I want to post interviews with them stating how they became homeless, what they used to do before they were homeless, what they'd like to do if they weren't homeless, what they think about all day, and any random thing they might want to say. I will be trying to avoid exploitation as much as possible. The goal is to provide a way for people to get to know that homeless person they drive past every day without having to stop on their way to work or do the dirty job of actually interacting with the person they ignore. I think people would be more interested given the distancing effect of seeing it from the comfort of their living room or whatever. I want to include donation links on each "profile" so people can donate if they find themselves wanting to. I want each donation link to be linked in some way to an identifying factor or it's own account somewhere. The money will go to buying clothes, giving interview coaching, buying food, giving rides to interviews for jobs, helping get a place to stay like a motel room while they're working on getting their stuff together, mental health services and just the general list of things homeless people tend to need. If it goes anywhere I plan to open it up so people in other cities can start submitting their own stuff to the site for their own homeless people.

http://meetthehomeless.com is the website where this will all be happening.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

edit: I know there are stipulations against lots of web based things so the kickstarter is going to be for software/backend etc. The "Project" part of this basically.

Mosaic Perception fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 1, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Mosaic Perception posted:

I am looking for some advice on what all I should have ready before making my kickstarter and the kinds of things I should include to give myself the best chance of succeeding. I am still trying to decide the kind of fundraiser drive I want to make but right now I'm thinking of asking for basic logistic costs plus some money for equipment/paying people.

Do you have experience in this field? Can you demonstrate that there is a need for this service (internet donation portal for local homeless population)? Are you figuring in legal/accounting costs of establishing a charity? Have you approached an established charity that works with the homeless and inquired why they don't do this? If they like the idea, then that's a much better way to implement this. I'm not hopeful that you'll be successful in setting up the infrastructure and interpersonal relationships from scratch.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Is this even a great idea? Some homeless people will inevitably do better than others using this modal, how is this 'fair' to those that don't participate or sell themselves poorly online?

From my point of view donating to an existing homeless shelter or organization will do more for the homeless than picking and choosing who to support individually. Go ahead and change my mind.

Edit: I read your post again... aren't all of those services you wish to provide available through shelters & charities in your city / state? The only new thing you're bringing to the table is a website to help ???. Maybe change your plan to donate to local shelters based on a homeless persons location? Or better yet setup connections with a well know charity and let them handle the money side of things. I like the idea of having an educational site which can help bring awareness to this issue, but taking it any further than that seems wrong.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 1, 2013

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
Finished the Kickstarter project.

https://vimeo.com/60764261

Thanks to those who backed it!

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

Oh My Science posted:

Is this even a great idea? Some homeless people will inevitably do better than others using this modal, how is this 'fair' to those that don't participate or sell themselves poorly online?

From my point of view donating to an existing homeless shelter or organization will do more for the homeless than picking and choosing who to support individually. Go ahead and change my mind.

Edit: I read your post again... aren't all of those services you wish to provide available through shelters & charities in your city / state? The only new thing you're bringing to the table is a website to help ???. Maybe change your plan to donate to local shelters based on a homeless persons location? Or better yet setup connections with a well know charity and let them handle the money side of things. I like the idea of having an educational site which can help bring awareness to this issue, but taking it any further than that seems wrong.
Well nothing is fair but helping who I can is better than not helping anyone I think. It will also equal some because not everything donated will go directly towards helping that specific person. Money will go to mental health programs and shelters and such as well. You may be right that donating to an existing shelter may be more beneficial but the goal is to increase the outreach to people who otherwise wouldn't care at all. People will donate for many reasons personal to them and "he/she made me laugh" could be one or it could be that he/she had a touching story. You just never know what is going to spark someone's interest and given the voyeuristic nature of society as I know it at least (America) I think that some people who otherwise are blind to the homeless might take notice even if their reasons or motivations aren't the purest to begin with.

quote:

Do you have experience in this field? Can you demonstrate that there is a need for this service (internet donation portal for local homeless population)? Are you figuring in legal/accounting costs of establishing a charity? Have you approached an established charity that works with the homeless and inquired why they don't do this? If they like the idea, then that's a much better way to implement this. I'm not hopeful that you'll be successful in setting up the infrastructure and interpersonal relationships from scratch.
I'm talking to someone who has a degree in social work and spent 5 years working for a homeless shelter. I do plan to use their help networking of course. I don't think I can up and perform miracles on my own. The plan is for a portion to be directly donated to the person in the form of immediate help (clothes food etc) and for a portion to go towards existing programs.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

I'm talking to someone who has a degree in social work and spent 5 years working for a homeless shelter. I do plan to use their help networking of course. I don't think I can up and perform miracles on my own. The plan is for a portion to be directly donated to the person in the form of immediate help (clothes food etc) and for a portion to go towards existing programs.

So you have no background, experience or education in this field? Why not launch the site with a small amount of content for now? Go get video and information on a handful of homeless people and see what kind of response you get. Having proven work will only help your pitch to potential donors, and it exposes you to the work environment on your dime.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

So you have no background, experience or education in this field? Why not launch the site with a small amount of content for now? Go get video and information on a handful of homeless people and see what kind of response you get. Having proven work will only help your pitch to potential donors, and it exposes you to the work environment on your dime.

It's not a bad idea and I considered doing it just using my phone for video for the first few. I wasn't sure if having nothing and looking for help to start with quality or having lower quality material as kind of a proof of concept was a better idea.

This idea grew from me just always sitting at red lights wondering what was going on in the lives of the homeless. I had already planned to randomly take homeless people out to lunch and give them a little cash for talking to me for an hour or two just because I find it really interesting. From there I started thinking about the potential to actually help people with what I was going to be doing anyway. I will take your advice and wait until I have content going whether it's great video quality or not before making a drive for donations.

This project is just a natural extension of me working for one of the largest webhosts in the world and having a personal interest in the plight of the homeless. Put the interest and skillset together and this is what you get.

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
My novel on Kickstarter is under the 30 day mark. The movie and sample chapters are up. Have decent feedback so far.

The t-shirt designs turned out great. I'm wearing one now. I've had a few people say they liked them just seeing me wearing them around locally. Though, they were waitresses and might have been looking for larger tips.

http://www.belvaille.com/kickstarter.html

Had to turn off the forum access because the only ones registering were bots, no matter how complicated I made the pw requirements.

For those interested, I got free advertising credits on google and facebook. FB is vastly, VASTLY more expensive. You're targeting by demographics on FB and targeting by keywords on google. If I had to choose just one, I'd say take google.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

DukeRustfield posted:

My novel on Kickstarter is under the 30 day mark. The movie and sample chapters are up. Have decent feedback so far.

The t-shirt designs turned out great. I'm wearing one now. I've had a few people say they liked them just seeing me wearing them around locally. Though, they were waitresses and might have been looking for larger tips.

http://www.belvaille.com/kickstarter.html

Had to turn off the forum access because the only ones registering were bots, no matter how complicated I made the pw requirements.

For those interested, I got free advertising credits on google and facebook. FB is vastly, VASTLY more expensive. You're targeting by demographics on FB and targeting by keywords on google. If I had to choose just one, I'd say take google.

Four donators with an average of $380 each? Come on.

pal670
Nov 4, 2011
This is a IndieGoGo campaign (just cause it was more friendly to me in the past, and is more lenient).
Basically it is based on the premise that I can get the equipment needed to create a professional standard of liquid photography shots, and produce a book this year.
This first round will pay for some of the equipment needed to create a studio workspace, you can find it here.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/slowflowtion-capturing-natures-miracle/x/988924

Backers will get various different rewards (and I plan on added as we go along or if I come up with something creative).
Some such as signed prints, HD wallpaper backgrounds of produced shots, watermarked full size photos, and a free copy of the upcoming book when it's finished.
All the money gained will be used towards the goal of procuring the equipment needed, so every dollar helps.

So please check it out, donate if it's something you would like to help, and spread the word.
Thanks alot guys (and girls)!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A friend of mine is working on a sci-fi/fantasy TV pilot, and is using IGG to fund the filming. Myself and the rest of the volunteer crew, actors, and actresses, would really appreciate it if you'd take a look.

Crossover is a story about a technologically advanced society and a magic based society that both live on a world that no longer spins on it's axis, leaving one side in perpetual night, and the other in perpetual day. The pilot details the events of the first time members of each society finally meet.

There are multiple reward tiers, including posters, comics, dvds, and even an "Executive Producer" credit that has us flying the backer up here to join us filming on location.

Indiegogo link
The pilot's official website
The writer/director/artist's youtube channel

Thanks for taking a look, and even if you don't donate, please spread the word.

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Chiming in with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLpkDFqadZ8

Fuzzy Modem fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 22, 2013

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
I made a short pro-gay-marriage film and it has a chance to air on the biggest PBS station in the country this week.

But it needs (of course) votes. No signups, no registrations, no Facebook logins, nothing like that.

All you need to do is click
http://www.thirteen.org/reel13/vote/
and vote for "Shayna Keeps It Simple". Thanks!

The films are all available to stream on the site so you can watch it too and make sure it's good before you vote if you like :shobon:

EDIT: Hmm. By Googling around it seems my competition is using a pay-to-post-ads site called GetOnlineVotes.com to, well, get online votes. That's kind of clever, I'm not gonna lie. Devious, maybe even dirty, but not so much dirtier than begging goons for votes, now is it.

Icon-Cat fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 26, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I was hoping for some advice on a crowd-funding campaign I plan to start soon. Bit of back-story first:

For the past year I've been running the Brown Moses Blog, which began as a way to collect my thoughts and interesting information I've gathered from various sources but which has now turned into a highly respected source of information on both the conflict in Syria and the UK phone hacking scandal. A couple of weeks ago the Guardian newspaper in the UK had a lengthy profile of me, which led to a spate of radio and television interviews, including CNN, Channel 4 News (UK), NOS TV (Netherlands), and the BBC World Service (twice).

Unfortunately after all this exposure I had to come to a decision about a job offer I had received that meant I would have to give up the blog due to clashing interests. I announced this on Twitter on Friday, and I had a quite remarkable response from people offering to help keep the blog going. I said the only way I could justify refusing the job offer is by raising enough money to keep the blog going for at least 6 months, which I made to be £10,000 to work on it full time, and as I thought that was unlikely I didn't want to take the risk.

Then yesterday I'm contacted by an individual who offers to make a £5000 donation to any fund-raising effort I start, as well as offers of support from some of the best possible people I could have asked for, so suddenly a crowd-funding exercise seems extremely viable.

So now I'm working on putting together a crowd-funding campaign. I've started by asking some of the well known followers of my blog for quotes about the blog, and so far I've got quotes or promises of quotes from figures from the world of Hackgate, the Arab Spring, and social media, including:
Tom Watson MP
Nick Davies of the Guardian (both of whom are the biggest figures in the Hackgate scandal bar Murdoch)
Andy Carvin of NPR
Stuart Hughes of the BBC
Jenan Moussa, a well known journalist from Dubai
Kristyan Benedict of Amnesty International
Peter Brouckaert, emergencies director of Human Rights Watch

I expect a number of other quotes from well known figures in those fields as well, so on that side of things I'm very well covered.

I've also got the support of a number of journalists, as well as some extremely well connected activists, bloggers, tweeters, and social media types, so getting the campaign publicised should be easy.

I plan to do a short video explaining why I need crowd-funding, explaining what the blog has achieved, and where the blog has been written about in the past. The main problem is finding the best fund-raising platform as the only product I'll be offering is the continued existence of my blog, so it's not like I'm making T-shirts or mousepads for people to get. I'd really also like to make sure it's easy for people in the Arab world to access and donate to, especially in countries like Saudi Arabia and the UAE. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Start by making some image banners of the papers/news services that have quoted you below the video.

Then there's the whole business of making a good video, which you might need some goons to help out with.

My humble suggestion is to include as low as a $1 tier, because people sometimes don't want to donate, if there isn't a tier low enough for it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ufarn posted:

Start by making some image banners of the papers/news services that have quoted you below the video.

Then there's the whole business of making a good video, which you might need some goons to help out with.

My humble suggestion is to include as low as a $1 tier, because people sometimes don't want to donate, if there isn't a tier low enough for it.

For the video I can talk about the past work I've done, and I've got a vast archive of videos from Syria which I can edit over what I'm talking about. When I talk about media appearances I can edit those over the video as I'm talking as well.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This is the script I plan to use for the video, which I'll edit various videos over so it's not just me talking

quote:

I'm Eliot Higgins, also known as Brown Moses of the Brown Moses Blog.

For the past years I've been blogging about a number of subjects, but I'm best known for my work on the conflict in Syria and the UK phone hacking scandal. With this campaign I hope to raise enough money to take the blog from being a hobby I do in my spare time to a full-time job.

Recently you might have seen or heard me in a number of television and radio appearances, including CNN, Channel 4 News, and Dutch NOS TV, which came about after a profile of my work in the Guardian newspaper here in the UK. While these articles focused on my work on arms tracking in the Syrian conflict, in particular the use of cluster bombs and arrival of Croatian weapons in Syria, I've written on a variety of subjects, both in relation to the Syrian conflict and the UK phone hacking scandal.

With Hackgate I've put together a series of articles on various aspects of the story, including a series of posts titled "Hackgate for Beginners", detailing some of the more complex ins and outs of the scandal, as well as having a regular blog contributor who regularly writes about the latest events while I'm busy with Syria.

With Syria I've not only documented the use of cluster bombs and arrival of Croatian weapons, but I've also covered other aspects of the conflict, including war crimes, sectarian violence, propaganda from both sides, the escalation air war, including the use of incendiary weapons and increasingly powerful bombs, as well as many other topics.

Aside from the work I do on my blog I also spend a lot of time talking to journalists, activists, and NGO members, and advising them on arms used in the conflict, something I feel helps create a deeper understanding of the conflict as it unfolds. Another part of my work has involved creating a database of cluster bomb use in Syria with Human Rights Watch, something that will eventually be made available to the public.

What I hope to do with this fund-raiser is collect enough money to dedicate myself to the blog full-time. This means more posts, deeper investigation, and hopefully a wider variety of topics. My work focuses on extracting useful information from the vast amount of information posted onto social media and other open source information, so focusing my efforts onto this full time with allow me to work through more of that information and produce more material.

If I exceed my target the money will be used to ensure I can keep blogging for longer, and I hope it will also allow me to start producing videos focusing on specific areas of the Syria conflict in addition to my usual blog posts.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Brown Moses posted:

I've also got the support of a number of journalists, as well as some extremely well connected activists, bloggers, tweeters, and social media types, so getting the campaign publicised should be easy.

This is the obstacle that everyone has, and it seems you've got it solved before you even begin. People will see your campaign, so the issue becomes the scope. Do you have any interest in doing a daily news video show about the topics you cover? It's a much larger scope than what you have in mind, but I think there's a demand for your content. A trusted gatekeeper who can aggregate news from many foreign sources is rare.

quote:

I'd really also like to make sure it's easy for people in the Arab world to access and donate to, especially in countries like Saudi Arabia and the UAE. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kickstarter is the way to go if it meets your needs. I don't know what obstacles it can cause for donators from the Middle East, but for those folks you could always solicit donations directly via paypal or some other funds transfer system (dear god...bitcoins?). I think it's even more important in this sense because your crowdfunding campaign is also free advertising.

Brown Moses posted:

This is the script I plan to use for the video, which I'll edit various videos over so it's not just me talking

And then of course I read the script and your stretch goal is videos. The script is a little too passive in my opinion. You're doing the blog, you're good at doing the blog, and now you'd like money to do more of the blog. You should spend more time identifying the problem you're solving: there's a lack of good regular news coverage of the topics you cover. You also offer a granularity (tweets, videos, etc) that you can't get from a major news network. CNN can tell me that 37 FSA were killed today, but only Brown Moses can tell me that they were in uparmored technicals built with guidance from Libya. I think that's a big deal.

And while this probably isn't a popular idea, I think there should be something at stake if you don't get funded. As it stands, if you don't get funded, it sounds like the status quo will be maintained. Obviously if you don't get funding then the videos probably won't happen, but those seem tangential and vague at the moment. If on the other hand the whole point of the campaign was to launch a web news show with regular content, then there would be something tangible at stake if it fails.

My gut is that a proper campaign should net you around six figures USD.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

This is the obstacle that everyone has, and it seems you've got it solved before you even begin. People will see your campaign, so the issue becomes the scope. Do you have any interest in doing a daily news video show about the topics you cover? It's a much larger scope than what you have in mind, but I think there's a demand for your content. A trusted gatekeeper who can aggregate news from many foreign sources is rare.
Daily would be tricky to do because of the massive amount of information I sift through, but I'd like to do a regular video about different aspects of the conflict, probably one of my first stretch goals will be to do that. I'll need money to buy a decent camera as I'm borrowing the one for the crowd-funding video.

quote:

Kickstarter is the way to go if it meets your needs. I don't know what obstacles it can cause for donators from the Middle East, but for those folks you could always solicit donations directly via paypal or some other funds transfer system (dear god...bitcoins?). I think it's even more important in this sense because your crowdfunding campaign is also free advertising.
With Kickstarter I'm struggling to come up with ideas for pledge levels. The best I can think of is a donor thank you page and personalised thank yous.

quote:

And then of course I read the script and your stretch goal is videos. The script is a little too passive in my opinion. You're doing the blog, you're good at doing the blog, and now you'd like money to do more of the blog. You should spend more time identifying the problem you're solving: there's a lack of good regular news coverage of the topics you cover. You also offer a granularity (tweets, videos, etc) that you can't get from a major news network. CNN can tell me that 37 FSA were killed today, but only Brown Moses can tell me that they were in uparmored technicals built with guidance from Libya. I think that's a big deal.
That's a good idea, I'll rewrite the script to put over my unique selling points a lot more forcefully.

quote:

And while this probably isn't a popular idea, I think there should be something at stake if you don't get funded. As it stands, if you don't get funded, it sounds like the status quo will be maintained. Obviously if you don't get funding then the videos probably won't happen, but those seem tangential and vague at the moment. If on the other hand the whole point of the campaign was to launch a web news show with regular content, then there would be something tangible at stake if it fails.
It might be an idea then to make the regular video feature a more core feature of the campaign, give them something more than just more of the same.

quote:

My gut is that a proper campaign should net you around six figures USD.
I bloody hope so.

[edit]
Just saw this piece about me in Arabic which will be useful for the Kickstarter. If possible I'll get the Kickstarter translated to Arabic, and Arabic subtitles added to the video.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 1, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Brown Moses posted:

With Kickstarter I'm struggling to come up with ideas for pledge levels. The best I can think of is a donor thank you page and personalised thank yous.

Shout out Tweets.
Email Thank You's.
Donor Page.
"This article brought to you by a donation from Jalumibnkrayal."
"Brown Moses Blog, made possible by Jalumibnkrayal"
Skype conversation with you.
Thank you in video credits.
Executive producer video credit.

Do you think there is any behind the scenes content that would be compelling? Or any content you would give to donors exclusively? Unlikely, but it might be worth a shot.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Shout out Tweets.
Email Thank You's.
Donor Page.
"This article brought to you by a donation from Jalumibnkrayal."
"Brown Moses Blog, made possible by Jalumibnkrayal"
Skype conversation with you.
Thank you in video credits.
Executive producer video credit.

Do you think there is any behind the scenes content that would be compelling? Or any content you would give to donors exclusively? Unlikely, but it might be worth a shot.

That sounds doable, the only thing I wouldn't do is behind the scenes stuff as making everything as open to everyone as possible is a key thing with the blog. It's open source open source intelligence. OSOSINT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't word it as wanting to dedicate yourself to your blog full time. You're trying to dedicate yourself to investigative reporting/journalism full time, and the blog is just the medium to make that information available.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

You're doing the blog, you're good at doing the blog, and now you'd like money to do more of the blog. You should spend more time identifying the problem you're solving: there's a lack of good regular news coverage of the topics you cover. You also offer a granularity (tweets, videos, etc) that you can't get from a major news network. CNN can tell me that 37 FSA were killed today, but only Brown Moses can tell me that they were in uparmored technicals built with guidance from Libya. I think that's a big deal.
And like you highlight, even if these were topics that received regular news coverage, there is a difference between the investigative aspect that goes on with researching the details vs. the reporting aspect where major news networks just relay information that's given to them. I think there would be value to the work that he's trying to do even if it were applied to topics that are covered ad nauseum by CNN and the like, and this is something that should also be a point of promotion in his script.

As a personal note, I hate that having multiple Kickstarter "thank you" donation levels makes it feel more like you're purchasing different types of thank you's rather than highlighting the fact that you're making a donation for a worthy cause.

zeroprime fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 1, 2013