Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

just C-g s C-c C-a c c k, what's so hard to understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ya I want to throw up whenever I use emacs, too

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

yaoi prophet posted:

is the C ctrl or what

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
C is for cookie and thats good enough for me

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Suspicious Dish posted:

C is for cookie and thats good enough for me

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

yaoi prophet posted:

yeah that is pretty gross. it's much nicer to be able to issue simple, easily comprehensible commands like ":make" to your editor

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Clicks the little blue square with the corner cut off and a grey rectangle.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
is it just me or is objective c an ugly, lovely pain in the rear end to work with

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

is it just me or is objective c an ugly, lovely pain in the rear end to work with

yes, almost everything about it sucks, especially the standard library.

you'd think they'd make stuff like indexing into an array or string concatenation easy, but nope [[array objectAtIndex: 0] stringByAppendingString: [array objectAtIndex: 1]]

it's bad enough that objective c++11 is unironically better

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
monomac/xamarin looks really good, waiting for an excuse to dig into it and write something useful

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

not just u. its the cost of doing business w/ apple.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Shaggar posted:

not just u. its the cost of doing business w/ apple.

that and the sodomy

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

b0lt posted:

you'd think they'd make stuff like indexing into an array or string concatenation easy, but nope [[array objectAtIndex: 0] stringByAppendingString: [array objectAtIndex: 1]]

they fixed the indexing. not the string manipulation, though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
lol http://todomvc.com/

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

ughghghghghh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

canonical list of bad frameworks

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

there's a funnyface.js but no moltensharts.js?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

b0lt posted:

lol

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

they fixed the indexing. not the string manipulation, though.

how'd they fix it

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

[array[0] stringByAppendingString:array[1]]

but if all you're doing is joining strings in an array:

[array componentsJoinedByString:@""]

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

there's a funnyface.js but no moltensharts.js?

only YOU can create molensharts.js

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

javascript is loving terrible and i'm so glad i basically won't ever have to touch it

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
javashit

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

gucci void main posted:

javascript is loving terrible and i'm so glad i basically won't ever have to touch it

not with that attitude you won't

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yaoi prophet posted:

how'd they fix it

subscripts on object pointers are translated to calls to objectAtIndexedSubscript/setObject:atIndexedSubscript or objectForKeyedSubscript/setObject:forKeyedSubscript, depending on whether the subscript is an integer or object pointer.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
http://www.jetbrains.com/objc/features/cpp.html :raise:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

yeah

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

gucci void main posted:

javascript is fun as hell bro

you should do an emberjs, it's fun. random events firing off everywhere and everything is the mutable-est and they made their own object class. it's basically a pure functional programmer's irl nightmare, it's rad

there was a job posting on hacker news that apple was hiring for an emberjs position (with a backend of mixed php and node :raise:). it's catching on!!!!!

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

you should do an emberjs, it's fun. random events firing off everywhere and everything is the mutable-est and they made their own object class. it's basically a pure functional programmer's irl nightmare, it's rad

there was a job posting on hacker news that apple was hiring for an emberjs position (with a backend of mixed php and node :raise:). it's catching on!!!!!

:barf:

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

im so disgusted right now

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

abraham linksys posted:

apple was hiring for an emberjs position (with a backend of mixed php and node :raise:)

stebe is truly dead

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

gucci void main posted:

mr big talk now that he actually got work

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

fritz posted:

mr big talk now that he actually got work

e: whoops

double sulk fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 3, 2013

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

btw monononqc i bought ur book. it better be good cuz im gonna use erlang for my next project whether i know it or not

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Javascript minus jquery failed its primary purpose as an HTML enhancement language because of retarded (non)standards, but is it really that terrible as a language?
The infamous floating point issues are not unique to just js and any real floating precision is solved the same way as every other language.

Coding for it is not any more painful than other plangs and it doesn't suffer the verbosity of jlang or fiddly-ness of clangs.

It's interpretable for anyone with a browser and Chrome/Safari/Firefox debug features are leagues ahead of any other plang's line-by-line debugger of choice.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MeruFM posted:

Chrome/Safari/Firefox debug features are leagues ahead of any other plang's line-by-line debugger of choice.

this makes me lol anytime someone touts it as a "feature" of js bc js debuggers are horrendous garbage compared to c, c++, java debuggers

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

this makes me lol anytime someone touts it as a "feature" of js bc js debuggers are horrendous garbage compared to c, c++, java debuggers

good thing i modified it by saying specifically compared to other plang

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MeruFM posted:

good thing i modified it by saying specifically compared to other plang

poop king of poo poo mountain

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

$4 = <optimized out>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
why are you guys so mad about programming

:smith:

do you guys get mad about other tools. do you have strong opinions on your choice of power drill or whatever