Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V for Vegas posted:

So the preorder bonus for HoD is Victoria? Does anyone buying a V2 expansion not already have that?

I think it's Victoria 1 Complete. People wouldn't necessarily have that yet, especially since V2 is the more accessible of the two.

I wish Paradox would go back to update their Europa engine games, though. I have a low-power laptop that'd be perfect for playing CK1 and Ricky on, but having to track down widescreen patches and windowed mode patches is a hassle. A generic launcher to take care of all that would be a godsend. I already play DH on that laptop for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Qwo posted:

Was it ever addressed why, in EU Rome, there was only ever ONE Consul? I can't believe I never noticed this before (I never really played as Rome). It has to be a hard-coded limitation, right? It seems kind of bizarre.

My impression was that Rome was developed as a smaller title with quicker turn-around, more like Shogun or MotE, instead of as a 'major' flagship game like EU or HoI, and thus they only had the time/resources to make a generic one-size-fits-all republic government. I assume a bigger and better Rome II would be improved in this regard.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Drone posted:

Playlist

Thank you for this playlist, it makes a great accompaniment to planning out my moves for the Risk LP. It also makes me really want to get back into HoI3 again...
Thank you for having the Red Army Choir on here. I feel so incredibly pumped to die uselessly for mother Russia :black101:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fintilgin posted:

a bigger and better Rome II would be improved in this regard.

:allears:

It's been 5 years Paradox. Hell, a CK2 DLC limited to the Italian Peninsula set in the first century BC would be enough.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I would expect EU:Rome 2 to be awesome now that Paradox has the one person who played EU:Rome for longer than 20 minutes working for them.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Pakled posted:

I would expect EU:Rome 2 to be awesome now that Paradox has the one person who played EU:Rome for longer than 20 minutes working for them.

You should have wiz whip up a nice final version of Reign of the Ancients and release it as the final patch or DLC.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Goddamnit, I have had that "Casus Belli" song from the April Fools video stuck in my head all day today, and I don't even like it! :(

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Is there any place I can preorder V2:HoD and get a steam key anywhere? I have V2 for Steam so I need to get a Steam key for it but each store the V2 store site links are nonsteam keys :(.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

You should have wiz whip up a nice final version of Reign of the Ancients and release it as the final patch or DLC.
Godddd I wish.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Everything worth keeping from EU Rome could be tacked onto a CK2 DLC more easily than making a whole game out of it. If Sengoku can be turned into a CK2 mod then I don't know why EU Rome can't.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

Is there any place I can preorder V2:HoD and get a steam key anywhere? I have V2 for Steam so I need to get a Steam key for it but each store the V2 store site links are nonsteam keys :(.

Just wait a bit - historically Steam has always been a day or so late in adding the new Paradox pre-order/release.

Cantorsdust posted:

Watch out, you don't want to give them any ideas about making CK2+ paid DLC. (I'm joking)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Everything worth keeping from EU Rome could be tacked onto a CK2 DLC more easily than making a whole game out of it. If Sengoku can be turned into a CK2 mod then I don't know why EU Rome can't.

I think you would have to make some non-merchant Republican mechanics first. I personally like the idea of the house and the different factions in Rome, so trying to find a way to implement that balance-of-power in a Republic would be quite difficult/janky under current CK2 mechanics.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Fister Roboto posted:

See I thought it was "haha, other companies try to make products 'for women' by making them pink and frilly because that's what they think women like." But I guess you're right, whoever wrote that is totally a MRA redditor atheist pedophile or whatever.

"Boy things are normal, girl things are different."

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I couldn't make it past thirty seconds. It was a nice idea and the presentation was okay, but it sounded so bad and so very, very Swedish :negative:
Maybe I'm just a snob because I work in ~~theatre~~. That's probably it. I'm why we can't have nice things :smith:

Causus Belli was the weakest song, but you missed out if you didn't hear the others, especially Prestige, which I legitimately love.

"Doesn't he see at all that Prussia's going to conquer him soon?
Doesn't he see at all that all I want to conquer is his heart?"

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Pakled posted:

Rome was apparently pretty popular for Paradox :shrug: I don't know why, but Johan always talks about people he sees in bars talking about the game or something.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Patter Song posted:

Causus Belli was the weakest song, but you missed out if you didn't hear the others, especially Prestige, which I legitimately love.

"Doesn't he see at all that Prussia's going to conquer him soon?
Doesn't he see at all that all I want to conquer is his heart?"
I tried again. It's not working. Must make things right again.

(Assassins is terrific for background music in Vicky 2. I've yet to have an assassination sync up with a gunshot, though)

*edit*
Did Elder Kings and the new AGoT actually drop yesterday or am I an April Fool?

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 3, 2013

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
I recently reinstalled DH and the framerate is stuck in the teens regardless of resolution. Anyone else had this problem?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Shorter Than Some posted:

I recently reinstalled DH and the framerate is stuck in the teens regardless of resolution. Anyone else had this problem?

Are you running it windowed? What's the game's speed set to? Are you playing it on a toaster?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Drone posted:

Are you running it windowed? What's the game's speed set to? Are you playing it on a toaster?

No, happens at any speed, The same computer it used to run fine on (i5 750 AMD 7950).

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

I just westernized as the Ottomans like 25-30 years ago and I still get events about reactionaries rebelling and such, although they're pretty rare by now. For how long am I going to get these events until the people accepts being western?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Until you modernize your army.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

*edit*
Did Elder Kings and the new AGoT actually drop yesterday or am I an April Fool?

Elder Kings actually released and seems perfectly playable, AGoT released this which I thought was pretty funny/could actually be interesting to play.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Beamed posted:

Rome was apparently pretty popular for Paradox :shrug: I don't know why, but Johan always talks about people he sees in bars talking about the game or something.

I'm not that surprised. Rome-era games are rare enough, but Rome-era games that try to deal with Rome-era politics are so few and far between that any attempt at it, however flawed, is going to generate a lot of buzz just because of the dearth of competing material.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not that surprised. Rome-era games are rare enough, but Rome-era games that try to deal with Rome-era politics are so few and far between that any attempt at it, however flawed, is going to generate a lot of buzz just because of the dearth of competing material.

It was released at the same time as Rome:TW and I'm sure riding the wave of publicity that Activision pumped into Rome era strategy didn't hurt.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bastastic posted:

I just westernized as the Ottomans like 25-30 years ago and I still get events about reactionaries rebelling and such, although they're pretty rare by now. For how long am I going to get these events until the people accepts being western?

Resist western influences until you are back to 3 stability and can take the military modernization decision (which also requires 7 ADM). In DW I generally don't feel the need to westernize as the Ottomans though. If you push through Iran and India you will have a fuckton of money and can easily catch back up in tech. Before that the 85% tech rate will still let you keep up in the critical areas. Ottoman military units are fine, particularly when your forcelimits will allow you to field 200+ units against the west relatively easily after a little expansion in your chosen area.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 3, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Alchenar posted:

It was released at the same time as Rome:TW and I'm sure riding the wave of publicity that Activision pumped into Rome era strategy didn't hurt.
Rome: Total War, released in 2004.

Europa Universalis: Rome, released in 2008.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kainser posted:

To be fair, that's practically the same time when seen from the era the games take place in. :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Kainser posted:

Same decade. Still counts.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kainser posted:

Huh, but I remember this was when Johan made that quip about CA not having any AI in their games.

e: written records from that era are unreliable. it was probably the same time.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alchenar posted:

Huh, but I remember this was when Johan made that quip about CA not having any AI in their games.

e: written records from that era are unreliable. it was probably the same time.

I think it was in reference to Empire: Total War, which didn't get a real hot reception on release, if I remember correctly.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, it was in reference to Empire and in 2009. Here's a link.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's Victoria 1 Complete. People wouldn't necessarily have that yet, especially since V2 is the more accessible of the two.

I have V1 complete from preordering some other Paradox thing, it might even have been A House Divided.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Smirr posted:

Yeah, it was in reference to Empire and in 2009. Here's a link.

What made it particularly funny was that it was made shortly before the stellar, bug-free release of Hoi3. :shobon:

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Fintilgin posted:

What made it particularly funny was that it was made shortly before the stellar, bug-free release of Hoi3. :shobon:

At least there was an ai in hoi3.. Hoi3 had other problems though... Stability & performance being the major ones.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

To be fair, Empire really did suck a bit, and still does.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I like both companies and both titles. :haw:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

pdxjohan posted:

At least there was an ai in hoi3.. Hoi3 had other problems though... Stability & performance being the major ones.

Fair enough. Honestly, I've always been impressed that the Paradox games like EUIII manage to do AI for 150+ countries simultaneously. I imagine on some level, much of it must be fairly simple, but hey, it works!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Ray and Shirley posted:

I like both companies and both titles. :haw:

I don't like multiplayer, and in singleplayer Empire I had 10 enemy units marching left and right all day, overlapping each other for maximum causalities while my single battery pounded them into retreat

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
I apologise if this has been asked before and I missed it, but does HoD have a definite release date yet? The website just says Q2.

Also the OP needs to be updated, MotE has been out for almost two months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bishop Rodan posted:

I apologise if this has been asked before and I missed it, but does HoD have a definite release date yet? The website just says Q2.

Also the OP needs to be updated, MotE has been out for almost two months now.

April 16th is the release date for HoD, you can pre-order in some places already.

• Locked thread