Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Artix posted:

It said "Coming soon" in the trailer, where did you guys see 2014? :confused:

My bad, there was supposedly a typo in the press release I read. May 2013 is much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

axeil posted:

I was mildly interested in getting this if it came out this summer but if it's not out till 2014 I just don't see any point in getting it. That's a baffling decision. Did they just decide to start working on it when they announced it?

So in 2014 your gaming tastes will have changed, or will you be too busy flying spaceships to the Mars colony?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure that the UK Amazon site said 2014 when they first put the game up but it's gone now. I assumed it was just Europe getting screwed over with release dates.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

commander nojj posted:

So I think I'm going to pick up the zombi u bundle (trading in the game for credit) Friday so I can monster hunt in hd.

I'm a big old school super Mario fan, I've pretty much hated the new super Mario brothers series for the most part. I hear that the wii u one is more in line with something like Mario world, having a huge map and themed levels and such. I don't really give a poo poo for the awful multiplayer modes in this series. What do you guys think is it worth the purchase? I'm hoping people with similar opinions about the NSMB series chimes in.

I think the console New games are fantastic, but a lot of that hinges on the multiplayer, so it may not be for you if that's not a good feature.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
NSMBU is the most polished of the NSMB games. It has excellent level design and fast gameplay. The two home console games in the series are much better than the handheld ones because of involvement from Miyamoto. If you've only played the handheld ones then you'll get the impression that the NSMB games don't measure up to the original SMB games. The only problem with NSMBU is that it uses the exact same template as the Wii one, right down to music tracks being unaltered. It's DLC to the Wii version really. Extremely formulaic. However, the gameplay is extremely good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah DX is confirmed as being a Summer release already. As for New Mario, I'd probably be more interested in that series if Rayman Origins hadn't completely blown it out of the water in pretty much every way.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

commander nojj posted:

So I think I'm going to pick up the zombi u bundle (trading in the game for credit) Friday so I can monster hunt in hd.

FYI, the ZombiU game included as part of the bundle is specifically marked as "Not For Resale", so caveat emptor if you're going to try and sell it back.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If you haven't played any NSMB games, get NSMBU, if only for the Luigi expansion coming later this year.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you guys are bored and haven't picked up Lego City Undercover yet, do that! I finished with the story mode after doing very little city exploring, and my little percentage-o-meter wasn't even up to 25% yet. There are so many things to collect and do, it will take you a very long time. It's like the best collectathons from the N64 days mixed with a Grand Theft Auto-sized city, and the super-simple, super-fun gameplay of a Lego game.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

plainswalker75 posted:

FYI, the ZombiU game included as part of the bundle is specifically marked as "Not For Resale", so caveat emptor if you're going to try and sell it back.

That's not a restriction on you, that's a restriction on the store selling the bundle. They're not allowed to open it up themselves and sell the ZombiU game and Wii U separately. If that were an issue for the consumer, GameStop would not be lined with copies of Guitar Hero 3.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Some new Wii U games finally came out in Japan last week! :woop:

They both sold like poo poo and only gave hardware sales a minor bump :negative:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534063

quote:

01./01. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} (¥4.800) - 110.840 / 390.991 (-60%)
02./00. [PSP] Fate/Extra CCC # <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.03.28} (¥6.279) - 72.883 / NEW
03./06. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 57.835 / 2.976.228 (+2%)
04./02. [PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.20} (¥8.190) - 56.457 / 331.082 (-79%)
05./00. [PSV] Muramasa: The Demon Blade <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.03.28} (¥4.980) - 45.660 / NEW
06./00. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980) - 33.302 / NEW
07./00. [PSP] Dungeon Travelers 2: Ouritsu Tokoshan to Mamono no Fuuin # <RPG> (Aqua Plus) {2013.03.28} (¥6.090) - 31.738 / NEW
08./03. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥7.980) - 24.864 / 126.254 (-75%)
09./04. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥3.980) - 23.135 / 103.753 (-71%)
10./00. [WIU] Game & Wario <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.03.28} (¥4.935) - 22.491 / NEW

DQX has been out on the Wii for a while right? I still expected it to sell way way more than that because DQ in Japan.

The Game & Wario numbers are just outright depressing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

plainswalker75 posted:

Actually not, at least on the UK version. I've also only just noticed that "zombified friend" is listed as an online feature.

Crowbear posted:

Some new Wii U games finally came out in Japan last week! :woop:

They both sold like poo poo and only gave hardware sales a minor bump :negative:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534063

When a Dragon Quest game can't bump your sales in Japan any there are some serious problems.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 3, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Making DQX online as well as subscription based was a really loving stupid idea.

I'm guessing they banked on the game's crazy popularity to really bring in a lot of money with the subs and it blew up in their face.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only

plainswalker75 posted:

Yeah I figured it would, that probably won't stop GameStop from taking it though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Alteisen posted:

Making DQX online as well as subscription based was a really loving stupid idea.

I'm guessing they banked on the game's crazy popularity to really bring in a lot of money with the subs and it blew up in their face.

In Japan it's a two-fold problem. Online only and MMOs are not popular in Japan. All-around it was a god-awful decision for them to even consider doing that and yes it has been on Wii for almost a year. It was expected to bomb.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

commander nojj posted:

Yeah I figured it would, that probably won't stop GameStop from taking it though.

It won't, I traded the Uncharted bundle that said the same thing and they took it, I also found a not for resale motorstorm disc while browsing their cheap games.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
That pretty much makes the zombi u bundle the best value in my eyes then. The deluxe set, classic control plus, and some store credit? I think I'd like that.

I really can't wait to finally try the system out on Friday, my only experience with the wii u so far is the demo units at GameStop where you can scroll through titles on the game pad, none of which had any demos to play

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

commander nojj posted:

That pretty much makes the zombi u bundle the best value in my eyes then. The deluxe set, classic control plus, and some store credit? I think I'd like that.

I really can't wait to finally try the system out on Friday, my only experience with the wii u so far is the demo units at GameStop where you can scroll through titles on the game pad, none of which had any demos to play

God I forgot about how poorly handled their kiosks were. And Nintendo conference after conference expresses how important it is people get their hands on and play the system to understand it. Do they want WiiU owners to throw open houses or phone bank or something?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

greatn posted:

God I forgot about how poorly handled their kiosks were. And Nintendo conference after conference expresses how important it is people get their hands on and play the system to understand it. Do they want WiiU owners to throw open houses or phone bank or something?

In the UK at least there's one in my local game store which has a New Super Mario Bros demo on it. That is truly incredible if there are kiosks with no playable demos on though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Alteisen posted:

It won't, I traded the Uncharted bundle that said the same thing and they took it, I also found a not for resale motorstorm disc while browsing their cheap games.

For what it's worth, GameStop Germany stopped buying not-for-resale copies a few years ago when I still worked there. I figured it's a worldwide thing but it might just be German corporate who insists on it because they caught some heat.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

flyboi posted:

In Japan it's a two-fold problem. Online only and MMOs are not popular in Japan. All-around it was a god-awful decision for them to even consider doing that and yes it has been on Wii for almost a year. It was expected to bomb.

So is there some cognitive dissonance on the executives part then?

I mean if you know this, someone is bound to know at Square over there and realize what a bad idea it is to take a million selling franchise like DQ and make it an MMO.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

commander nojj posted:

Are you sure this is the case? The kiosk at my local GameStop consisted of primarily titles/videos but there was one or two demos which you could actually play. I forgot which but I think one of them was Rayman. I remember being confused at first thinking that none of them were playable which in itself is a big problem.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Alteisen posted:

I mean if you know this, someone is bound to know at Square over there and realize what a bad idea it is to take a million selling franchise like DQ and make it an MMO.

Please note that Square-Enix literally fired their president last week due to poor performance, so maybe somebody does realize that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

greatn posted:

I honestly think Nintendo was banking on piggybacking on the Wii's popularity and hoping the transition from Wii to WiiU would be seamless or at the very least, natural. You'd think they'd learn from the 3/DS release but here we are.

Alteisen posted:

Probably explains why their new CEO will be going on a cost review rampage in the company, cutting departments/people that are not profitable. So basically expect Squeenix to be reduced to 4 employees.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Had a good laugh over this, Nintendo learning from their mistakes:

Satoru Iwata, 2006 posted:

When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch. We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum.

Satoru Iwata, 2011 posted:

It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause. With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen [with 3DS].

Satoru Iwata, 2012 posted:

As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch. “The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.

Satoru Iwata, 2013 posted:

I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think there may be some internal dissonance between the dev teams and the business side of the company. Miyamoto's obsessive, intensive, revamp-it-until-it's-perfect process versus Iwata's "Get your loving games ready for the launch window guys Jesus Christ this happens EVERY TIME."

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 3, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Alteisen posted:

Yep. A great example of Japan's idea of multiplayer is Monster Hunter. Not a single iteration of this game has online multiplayer with the exception of Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the Wii U. The recent 3DS version can only play online if you tether from a Wii U with a wireless adapter plugged into it. Monster Hunter is one of the most popular multiplayer series in Japan and has been for quite a while. It's also why PSP was so much more popular in Japan than in the states and partially why 3DS is doing so much better than Vita since Nintendo scored the exclusive on 3DS/Wii U.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Some of Nintendo's best games have been achieved by outsourcing, including Metroid Prime, F-ZERO GX, and Super Mario RPG, and more recently Punch-Out, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and the Mario & Luigi series.

If their internal studios can't produce enough titles, then they could contract small developers to revive old franchises like the Ice Climbers, Balloon Fight or Excitebike.

VVV Yeah, those two were developed my Monster Games. My favourite aspect of Excitebike was designing crazy difficult courses, which wasn't really carried over to those two games.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 3, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Excite Truck and Excite Bots are perfect examples actually. They farmed that one out right?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

greatn posted:

Excite Truck and Excite Bots are perfect examples actually. They farmed that one out right?

Yup, same team that did Pilotwings Resort on the 3DS too. Nintendo definitely is down with signing their IPs out to 2nd or 3rd parties so I'm not sure why we run into weird dry spells.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

That loving Sned posted:

Some of Nintendo's best games have been achieved by outsourcing, including Metroid Prime, F-ZERO GX, and Super Mario RPG, and more recently Punch-Out!!, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and the Mario & Luigi series.

Holy poo poo, you're right. That completely escaped me.

Maybe these have to go through some sort of weird dance for quality control with Nintendo?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Red posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right. That completely escaped me.

Maybe these have to go through some sort of weird dance for quality control with Nintendo?

They generally have teleconferences with NCL or have some of them fly in to look at things, and I think Miyamoto actually decided to become more involved in some projects once he noticed some things he could help with/didn't like.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatn posted:

I never cared for racing games, at least non Kart based ones. But last year I picked up The Driver: San Francisco and absolutely loved it. Is NSF franchise similar and does it have mission variety apart from just "race here"?
Haven't gone through everything but it's generally "race here", generally circuit stuff with some longer point a-b racers. Otherwise there's speed runs where you have to keep an average speed up, and for one it was an "evade police" thing. In "Most Wanted" races you race one other car (but still police interference) and after you win you have to take them out to win the car.

But there's also the whole open world to gently caress around in which is what I tend to do a lot instead of doing the races, kind of like in GTA when you don't play the objectives. "Collectable" wise there's speed cameras (with friends' speeds for comparison), car spots, security gates, and billboards to break through (with friends' jump distances and occasionally Mii driver's licenses as the billboard itself).

There's online stuff too but I haven't messed with that (crashed the one time I tried :negative:), supposed to be fun though.

commander nojj posted:

I'm a big old school super Mario fan, I've pretty much hated the new super Mario brothers series for the most part. I hear that the wii u one is more in line with something like Mario world, having a huge map and themed levels and such. I don't really give a poo poo for the awful multiplayer modes in this series. What do you guys think is it worth the purchase? I'm hoping people with similar opinions about the NSMB series chimes in.
You may or may not like it for the reasons already mentioned. One thing that hasn't been brought up is the challenge mode which sucked up a fair amount of time when I played. Usually (but not always) the same levels in the main game but with some objective, like speed running, or collect or avoid coins, avoid enemies, etc. You might want to wait until the Luigi DLC to see if that's more to your liking, it redoes the whole game with new levels and seemed to be meant for a single player and hopefully more difficult (from what little they showed at least).

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
I think I may give it a shot, I'm interested in the dlc and the challenge modes. I seem to recall enjoying the wii nsmb level design when I wasn't raging at the god awful multiplayer. Seriously how do they keep doing it that way when Kirby return to dreamland and Rayman origins both did multiplayer side scrolling perfectly??

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

Some of Nintendo's best games have been achieved by outsourcing, including Metroid Prime, F-ZERO GX, and Super Mario RPG, and more recently Punch-Out, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and the Mario & Luigi series.

You forgot the Zelda Oracle games. :colbert:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

commander nojj posted:

I think I may give it a shot, I'm interested in the dlc and the challenge modes. I seem to recall enjoying the wii nsmb level design when I wasn't raging at the god awful multiplayer. Seriously how do they keep doing it that way when Kirby return to dreamland and Rayman origins both did multiplayer side scrolling perfectly??
Obviously your friends aren't robots :colbert:

Forgot about the other thing they added for multiplayer, although I'm guessing you'd hate it cause it also lets people be a dick, but it can be used for good like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QvNrSAG2V4

And apparently the old 1up trick still works :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0pQYrcdDhQ

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

commander nojj posted:

Rayman succeeds in not making more players = you win by having an overarching goal per level (the lum collection), and having more players will often cause you to make a mistake that keeps you from maximizing your take.

Mario games, on purpose, do not have an overall performance level for each stage. This means that having four characters who don't block would make nearly every level trivially easy. The blocking/collision is to balance the single player and the multiplayer in terms of difficulty.

Also, it's funny as hell to have the rest of your team constantly make you fall in pits.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
The boost mode stuff actually looks like a lot of fun in the right hands. Didn't know it had that much potential. That first video makes it look like a lot of fun for both parties involved

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

So, this is what happens when you have Nintendo's release schedule, people get proficient at games! :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

You forgot the Zelda Oracle games. :colbert:

Plus the Minish Cap was developed by Capcom as well.

By the way, NSMBU pros use the wiimote and Game Pad at the same time :cool:

• Locked thread