Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lekki
Mar 29, 2008

I don't get why Romania or Greece are more dangerous than Hungary, Serbia or Macedonia ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lekki posted:

I don't get why Romania or Greece are more dangerous than Hungary, Serbia or Macedonia ?

Go click the link, it lists the reasons on the interactive map.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
As it's been said before, Mauritania seems fairly lawless what with slavery still going on that if someone decided to kidnap you, no one is there to prevent it, help you or even care. Off to the desert you go.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

lekki posted:

In the case of Greece: the fascist thugs, maybe? Yeah, they're mostly targeting immigrants, but even as a tourist, I'd stay far away from anyone sporting that not-swastika symbol.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Lycus posted:

In the case of Greece: the fascist thugs, maybe? Yeah, they're mostly targeting immigrants, but even as a tourist, I'd stay far away from anyone sporting that not-swastika symbol.

There have been several stories of non-white tourists being beaten by police http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20958353

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I think there should be a few more skulls on that map. Ya.

Definitely....

...Not enough skulls.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

How are u posted:

That map is goofy. Iranians are notoriously hospitable and generous to visitors and every American traveler who has been to Iran comes back gushing about how average Iranians have nothing against Americans, just our government. I'd probably feel safer traveling in Iran than most of South America.

My uncle worked as a contractor in Iran before the revolution and I love the stories he and my aunt tell about the place it's obvious they enjoyed the culture and the people. They say they hope that the Iranian people see change in their lifetimes because they would like to go back. They want to check on the friends who told them it was time to leave when things went south and drove them to the airport but it doesn't look good since they haven't heard from them since shortly before the hostage crisis :smith:

My cousin was born there and has an Iranian birth certificate. He says he usually gets some raised eyebrows every time he needs to present it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Latin America is our "Eastern Europe" is you know what I mean.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Hitch posted:

I think there should be a few more skulls on that map. Ya.

Definitely....

...Not enough skulls.

Nothing about the CIA-sponsored destabilisation that occured in the late 70s in Jamaica?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Isentropy posted:

Nothing about the CIA-sponsored destabilisation that occured in the late 70s in Jamaica?

Jamaica isn't a part of Latin America, no?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Isentropy posted:

That would've taken up prime skull space.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I think it might be, as it's a part of the Caribbean islands. Which according to this map from Wikipedia is a part of Latin America.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hitch posted:

I think it might be, as it's a part of the Caribbean islands. Which according to this map from Wikipedia is a part of Latin America.

"Latin America" refers to the countries that speak Portuguese, Spanish, or (maybe) French. So parts of the Caribbean are Latin America, some parts aren't. Jamaica speaks English and was colonized by the British, so it usually isn't included.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Hitch posted:

Caribbean islands generally aren't considered to be part of Latin America, especially if they aren't populated by mestizos and don't speak a Romance language. Belize, Guyana and Suriname are often honorary members even though they don't fit the strict "Latin" definition. It's not an exact term.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

"Latin America" refers to the countries that speak Portuguese, Spanish, or (maybe) French. So parts of the Caribbean are Latin America, some parts aren't. Jamaica speaks English and was colonized by the British, so it usually isn't included.

Well there you have it. If you put aside the cultural, political and linguistic aspects of the country -- including its origin -- it would be Latin American. Turns out however that it is not.

Haha, learn something new every day.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Ras Het posted:

Haiti's on there, though. I figure if Haiti would qualify, Jamaica would as well.

And when did the U.S. intervene in Mexico during the Cold War? Or are they including the Mexican-American war and the Mexican Revolution?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Haiti's on there, though. I figure if Haiti would qualify, Jamaica would as well.
French is a Latin language.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

And when did the U.S. intervene in Mexico during the Cold War? Or are they including the Mexican-American war and the Mexican Revolution?

They indicate pretty clearly in the legend that the map shows interventions since 1890, which is a reasonable starting date for tracking US military adventures in Latin America. The USA intervened militarily two times during the Mexican Revolution; for much of 1914 we occupied the port of Veracruz, and in 1916-1917 the US Army diddled around the border failing to do anything useful about Pancho Villa.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

esquilax posted:

Caribbean islands generally aren't considered to be part of Latin America

You're totally right except for this part. Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and Cuba (as well as others) are 100% part of Latin America.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

You're totally right except for this part. Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and Cuba (as well as others) are 100% part of Latin America.

Yeah, you're probably right in general. But sometimes "Latin America" is used to mean the entire continent(s) that isn't the US or Canada. Like I said, it's not an exact term; it means different things depending on the speaker and context.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lycus posted:

Romance language is the preferred term I believe. And even if it isn't anymore it should be since it's such a nice phrase!

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

It's a fine little debate we have going about what is and isn't Latin America which is totally irrelevant as the map shows American influence in virtually every country south of the US regardless of geography or language. Jamaica isn't included because... they made a mistake?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Romance language is the preferred term I believe. And even if it isn't anymore it should be since it's such a nice phrase!

I think discussions of Romance America would confuse a lot of people though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mu Cow posted:

It's a fine little debate we have going about what is and isn't Latin America which is totally irrelevant as the map shows American influence in virtually every country south of the US regardless of geography or language. Jamaica isn't included because... they made a mistake?
Mu Point Misser

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Haiti and Grenada are on there so I figured that it should've been on there too.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

EvanSchenck posted:

They indicate pretty clearly in the legend that the map shows interventions since 1890, which is a reasonable starting date for tracking US military adventures in Latin America. The USA intervened militarily two times during the Mexican Revolution; for much of 1914 we occupied the port of Veracruz, and in 1916-1917 the US Army diddled around the border failing to do anything useful about Pancho Villa.

Yeah I think both were during the Mexican revolution, although I think I remember that the US sent 2 expeditionary forces to try to capture Pancho Villa, both unsuccessfully, but I'm not sure and cant go to wikipedia right now for fact checking.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Lycus posted:

No one considers Montreal a Latin American city though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheImmigrant posted:

No one considers Montreal a Latin American city though.
I always thought it had more to do with the Treaty of Tordesillas dividing the recently discovered Americas between Spain and Portugal. Later French/Dutch/British settlement did not take place within the context of this treaty, so shouldn't be considered as Latin America.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I always thought it had more to do with the Treaty of Tordesillas dividing the recently discovered Americas between Spain and Portugal. Later French/Dutch/British settlement did not take place within the context of this treaty, so shouldn't be considered as Latin America.

The term was not used prior to the 1800s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_America#Etymology_and_definitions

3peat
May 6, 2010

lekki posted:

I was curious why Romania would be dangerous so I went to the website, and it shows up as green to me for some reason?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/travel-warnings/

It's funny if it wasn't considered safe cause most foreign expats or tourists who come here say we're safer than most of western europe, in that you can walk around alone at night almost anywhere without problems and stuff like that. On the other hand It's weird that America is "safe" since almost every week I see some news about policemen there killing people because their black or "look muslim", they have a lot of guns around and way more crime than us. Here nobody got guns and I love it that way, I'd be scared shitless to go to america cause I'd spend all my time worrying that some psycho gonna pull out a gun and shoot me cause I look brown or whatever.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

3peat posted:

I was curious why Romania would be dangerous so I went to the website, and it shows up as green to me for some reason?
I wonder if this wasn't a temporary error when the Atlantic happened to take their screenshot (April 2). I checked Foreign Affairs directly, and their last update to Romania was in March, and it was just to say measles is widespread.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

3peat posted:

On the other hand It's weird that America is "safe" since almost every week I see some news about policemen there killing people because their black or "look muslim", they have a lot of guns around and way more crime than us. Here nobody got guns and I love it that way, I'd be scared shitless to go to america cause I'd spend all my time worrying that some psycho gonna pull out a gun and shoot me cause I look brown or whatever.

If you're Native American you probably have about as much of a chance of that happening in Canada.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

3peat posted:

On the other hand It's weird that America is "safe" since almost every week I see some news about policemen there killing people because their black or "look muslim", they have a lot of guns around and way more crime than us. Here nobody got guns and I love it that way, I'd be scared shitless to go to america cause I'd spend all my time worrying that some psycho gonna pull out a gun and shoot me cause I look brown or whatever.

Yes America is very unsafe and if you ever visit you should stay locked indoors at all times and never EVER go out. As a matter of fact, America is so dangerous I would recommend that no one ever come here. Just stay in your own country.

Julio Lopez
Nov 15, 2006

We don't need no stinking badges

3peat posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/travel-warnings/

It's funny if it wasn't considered safe cause most foreign expats or tourists who come here say we're safer than most of western europe, in that you can walk around alone at night almost anywhere without problems and stuff like that. On the other hand It's weird that America is "safe" since almost every week I see some news about policemen there killing people because their black or "look muslim", they have a lot of guns around and way more crime than us. Here nobody got guns and I love it that way, I'd be scared shitless to go to america cause I'd spend all my time worrying that some psycho gonna pull out a gun and shoot me cause I look brown or whatever.

If you value your life, don't visit America if you are non-white. There are people with machine guns standing at every corner looking to gun down Blacks and Muslims.

Life for minorities is hell in America. I can only wish that we will one day be as tolerant and enlightened toward minorities as your country.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I'm literally posting this from a shootout with SWAT because they mistook my freckles for being a minority in disguise.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'm getting my degree in Computer Science via homeschooling. I live in constant fear that someone will discover that I am not actually an American..... :canada:.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Julio Lopez posted:

If you value your life, don't visit America if you are non-white. There are people with machine guns standing at every corner looking to gun down Blacks and Muslims.

Life for minorities is hell in America. I can only wish that we will one day be as tolerant and enlightened toward minorities as your country.

Heh. I'd much rather be black or Muslim or other minority in the US than anywhere in Western Europe.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

TheImmigrant posted:

Heh. I'd much rather be black or Muslim or other minority in the US than anywhere in Western Europe.

I'd rather be transgendered, Aboriginal Muslim in Canada than a minority anywhere in the US :smug:

This thread is going places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd rather be looking at politically loaded maps.

Finland has two "main" official languages (there's more than two but I won't get into that now), Finnish and Swedish. Swedish is mandatory for every Finnish-speaking Finn at school and a lot of people are pissed off about that. Here's a map where red means a municipality with more Russian-speakers than Swedish-speakers and green means more Swedish-Speakers than Russian-speakers. White means "no information". Russian isn't an official language in Finland, by the way.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 6, 2013