Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ciaphas posted:

Does Granny sell ores? I tried for like an hour last night to farm machalite and pelagicite so I could make Alloy Armor (I want the fast sharpening skill because I'm trying switch axe and holy moly this thing dulls fast), and found like one of each. :argh:

Where were you trying to get get them? I believe you have a better chance of mining them in the Flooded Forest and Pelagicite I tend to find when mining stuff underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Ceadeus was annoying. Underwater never feels great. But screw him, now I'm off to fight the purple ludroth :black101:

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Speaking of Granny and her sales she was selling Thunderbugs for Half off (150 zenny) for me today. You best believe I bought myself some 99 stacks of those.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Does Granny sell ores? I tried for like an hour last night to farm machalite and pelagicite so I could make Alloy Armor (I want the fast sharpening skill because I'm trying switch axe and holy moly this thing dulls fast), and found like one of each. :argh:

Strap on some leather armor and keep farming flooded forest underwater spots for pelagycite. No one likes doing it, Capcom seems to know this and make pelag a requirement in every important armor/weapon craft (and in big numbers).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bobnumerotres posted:

Strap on some leather armor and keep farming flooded forest underwater spots for pelagycite. No one likes doing it, Capcom seems to know this and make pelag a requirement in every important armor/weapon craft (and in big numbers).

Alternatively, you can wait until you fight Jhen Mohran to mine him for Pelagicite and Bathycite :v:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Is there any kind of general starter guide as to what I should be doing as an MH novice in the first 10 hours of the game or so? Should I just stick exclusively to the story quests, or should I be running around farming specific materials and be messing around with the shroom box/cat planting stuff?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Aerox posted:

Is there any kind of general starter guide as to what I should be doing as an MH novice in the first 10 hours of the game or so? Should I just stick exclusively to the story quests, or should I be running around farming specific materials and be messing around with the shroom box/cat planting stuff?

Always use the farm early. Later it's still important, altough not as much. Otherwise, just do the quests, find a bitchin' set (armor doesn't really matter in Low Rank) and go through the story. I suggest you do every quest as soon as possible, because to unlock certain things you need them done (it's mostly endgame stuff but you probably won't want to go goldfish fishing when you're about to kill an Ivory Lagiacrus!)

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

Ciaphas posted:

Moga Woods/Deserted Island area 12 has a fixed spawn node that has a pretty decent chance of getting you some Machalite. Pelagicite is unfortunately gonna still be a crapshoot from underwater Flooded Forest nodes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Alternatively, you can wait until you fight Jhen Mohran to mine him for Pelagicite and Bathycite :v:

Have fun with your super lovely equipment until then.

quote:

The first set I'd recommend is Iron armor, gives you crit eye (chance for critical damage) and fast sharpening, as well as solid defense for that point in the game.

After that, wroggi armor is fantastic even in HR. But you can see sets and their bonuses as you unlock them, and just make what you think would be awesome for your playstyle.

I would kill the first big monster (Great Jaggi) before going online just to get a handle on all the mechanics. After that the only purpose SP serves is farm unlocks and stuff, and playing at your own pace.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 4, 2013

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008
So does anyone know a good way to farm commendations? I can't seem to find any quests that give them as an award.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Dinotron posted:

So does anyone know a good way to farm commendations? I can't seem to find any quests that give them as an award.

Quests that with the objective of "Defeat All Large Monsters" are generally what give commendations. Jhen Mohran does too.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Longswords used to have Scythes back in FU, right? Did they make it over it 3U?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

TalonDemonKing posted:

The Alatreon weapon is a scythe. I think I might have seen another one earlier, but that was probably about 80 hours of playtime ago so who knows!

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

TalonDemonKing posted:

I know the Plesioth longsword is a scythe.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TalonDemonKing posted:

There aren't many. Scanning through the weapons section of the Brady guide, these are the only Longswords shaped like scythes. They all have upgrades that keep the shape.

Plesioth and Green Plesioth (Plesioth Splasher/Verdant Splash)
Duramboros and Rust Duramboros (Mountain Reaper/Grandfolly)
Alatreon (Dark Claw)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

It lets you fish out large monsters with Cha-Cha or Kayamba like they were a frog.

Please tell me it's still Sgt. Frog-themed.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think some Switch Axes are also now scythes, right?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

scissorman posted:

How often do you use buff items like the demon drug?
I'm still in HR1, so there's obviously no real need for it, but I'd like to know when I should start farming these.

Drugs are totally sweet but largely unnecessary. I only farm Gigginox when I'm hard for cash because Mega Drugs are very nice to have but not worth going out of my way.

Question: Are drugs affected by WideArea skills?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
What's a good, and easy to acquire, upgrade to the Qurupeco Axe? The raw damage coupled with loads of elemental damage seems to raise it heads and shoulder above everything else in the same tier.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bobnumerotres posted:

The first set I'd recommend is Iron armor, gives you crit eye (chance for critical damage) and fast sharpening, as well as solid defense for that point in the game.

Wait do you mean Alloy Armor by Iron or are those separate? Am I trying to make the wrong damned set? :tizzy:

And yeah the one machalite and pelagicite I found in an hour last night were in Flooded Forest wearing leather. Broke two mega picks too. I don't know why this game is addictive as it is when so much peeves me right off!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ciaphas posted:

Wait do you mean Alloy Armor by Iron or are those separate? Am I trying to make the wrong damned set? :tizzy:

And yeah the one machalite and pelagicite I found in an hour last night were in Flooded Forest wearing leather. Broke two mega picks too. I don't know why this game is addictive as it is when so much peeves me right off!

You can find Machalite pretty consistently at 12 on the Deserted Island. You can also find Pelagicite pretty consistently from underwater mining spots in the Flooded Forest (there's at least one in 6)

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Neo_Crimson posted:

What's a good, and easy to acquire, upgrade to the Qurupeco Axe? The raw damage coupled with loads of elemental damage seems to raise it heads and shoulder above everything else in the same tier.

I used that for a very long time. There is no easy upgrade to it, still I don't think it was flat out the best as you can upgrade other axes to on par without a lot of difficulty and there's quite a few monsters weak to water/ice.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Mr. Jive posted:

Question: Are drugs affected by WideArea skills?

Doubt it. I tried it before and didn't see allies getting the buff effect. I was forced to use might seeds.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know what free hunt monsters drop 6* or dare I ask 7* commodities? Pink Rathian, Duramboros, and Diablos/Black Diablos all give 5* items. Toughest thing I've beaten in free hunt was a Brachydios, but I didn't get any rares from him.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Assuming the guide is correct,

6*: zinogre, nargacuga, azure rathalos
7* deviljho, ivory lagi

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dizz posted:

Doubt it. I tried it before and didn't see allies getting the buff effect. I was forced to use might seeds.

What's the difference between the -drugs and pills anyway?

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~

Argas posted:

What's the difference between the -drugs and pills anyway?

Pills are supposed to give a larger boost, but they only last for a period of time (I believe it's like a minute or something?). The drug, however, lasts until death.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just want to say gently caress Gobul and that whole fight. That was the most unfun thing I've done so far in this game.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Brachydios. Brachydios, I hate your face.

Gimme a Gem, you goofy-lookin' motherfucker! :argh: Up to ten kills and he refuses to give up the goods. I wouldn't normally capture, since the process of keeping traps in stock is a pain, but it's faster than outright killing him. Not by much, but the faster I can get this over with, the better. Brachydios is not fun. Wish there was another source of Slime gear. I cannot imagine fighting him without the CPP. Even with it, he moves so drat much, I'm constantly swinging the camera around.

I wanna move on to making Narga/Ivory Laggy armor, but I want an upgraded weapon to speed that along. I guess this is my punishment for getting all those rare parts earlier in the game.

Plus repeating the same boss leads to getting really sloppy. I forgot to bring Cool Drinks the last run. That was when I decided it was time for a break. When you're so annoyed with a monster that you can't prep for him properly, you have to walk away for a few hours.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lizard Wizard posted:

Please tell me it's still Sgt. Frog-themed.

no its a big hunk of meat with a bone through it. Why couldnt we get the sgt frog?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

no its a big hunk of meat with a bone through it. Why couldnt we get the sgt frog?

Why is that such an omnipresent image in Japanese stuff? do they actually eat meat like that over there?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Moon Monster posted:

Why is that such an omnipresent image in Japanese stuff? do they actually eat meat like that over there?

You don't eat manga meat?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

gently caress you if you don't like manga meat. :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't tell if this is life mimicking art, art mimicking life, or some horrible Ouroborosian* combination of the two. :psypop:

* totally an adjective

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

I think some Switch Axes are also now scythes, right?

Yes, a few. The new DLC switch axe is a scythe.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Upon startup, I noticed my save file was at 82 hours. How long has Ultimate been out?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Level Slide posted:

Upon startup, I noticed my save file was at 82 hours. How long has Ultimate been out?

Two weeks US, week and some change for Yorpe and Kangarooland.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Wow, I practically spent two forty-hour work weeks on this? I should probably take a break. After I kill a couple Brachydios to make slime dual blades. And get the bugs to make the Magia Charm. And beat up the Ceadeus to upgrade my dragon switch axe, maybe a few more times to make the Helios set. Then grind up some resources and commodities with my exploding dual blades because that pumpkin armor reminds me of Dr. Doom.

Also I was off by a few hours, it's actually 85 hours.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Just unlocked offline high rank...

I really found Ceadus easy and boring. He was huge but I just was bored most of the time. I think I prefer fighting the more spastic monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Just unlocked offline high rank...

I really found Ceadus easy and boring. He was huge but I just was bored most of the time. I think I prefer fighting the more spastic monsters.

Ceadeus is another in a long line of "hit it while it plods along" elder dragons like Lao-Shan Lung or Shen Gaoren from the older games that don't really do a whole lot, but look impressive. The next elder dragon is a lot more interesting.

• Locked thread