Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Just unlocked offline high rank...

I really found Ceadus easy and boring. He was huge but I just was bored most of the time. I think I prefer fighting the more spastic monsters.

There are two facts about the Seaboo
a) his fight is really boring
b) his armour is really cool

These things do not go together well :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

StarkRavingMad posted:

As a newbie, I need someone to explain to me Lance versus Gunlance -- more specifically if there's a good reason to pick Lance over Gunlance. It seems like the Gunlance has a lot more damage potential with its shots and Wyvern Fire, and all Lance has that Gunlance doesn't is that running attack which I haven't found to be all that great. I've been playing a lot of Lance, and I like the sidehopping and shielding, so I get the gameplay style, but I'm eyeing Gunlance and wondering if there's a reason not to go that way instead since it seems more versatile. Does Lance have a stronger defense for some reason or any other significant advantage?

Most of my experience lancing is from P3rd and I haven't gotten through all of high rank yet but here is what happened with my game.

I was the opposite, I begin with gunlance and switched over time to the lance. The gunlance is really fun and there are some fights where I take it over a lance (it has a longer reach to get annoying tails) but for versatility, I would take a lance over a gunlance. The problem I found with the gunlance is that it is really difficult to keep up with monsters and blocking is much more important than with lances. I have to time my openings and my maneuvering is limited to one hop. I can still dodge through stuff but I can be blocking just as much as I am dodging. This leads to lag periods where I am not actively attacking the monster and ultimately it feels like I am trading blows. With a lance, I can be stuck in a pattern of dodging and stabbing a monster for as long as they let me and I don't need to block anything. I can also get off my combos faster with a lance than a gunlance. Gunlance has the ability where its shots do neutral damage (just flat damage to the monster) but lance can use either the cutting or impact hit modifier depending on which one is larger. A lance actually feels more offensive minded to me than the gunlance, cause lance is all about getting in there and staying in there. The gunlance can be played like this too but it is much harder; ultimately its approach is more defensive in mind. The lance looks like it has more defensive tools but those are the secret to your offense; you can do anything you need to with three hops. Evade and Evade up feels like cheating honestly.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Well time to enter hell on Earth and do "Triumph of the Tyrants" aka Fight a Regular Diablos and Black Diablos.

I hate Diablos so much.

Agent Provocatard
Dec 4, 2002
Unrelated to the matter being considered.

Edoraz posted:

Two weeks US, week and some change for Yorpe and Kangarooland.

I just checked and saw I clocked in 175 hours. Seeing that a week contains 168 hours... :shepicide:

Also am I just terrible at IRC or is there actually no IRC monster hunter channel? I'm using Chatzilla but few times I've tried I don't see any channel. It'd be nice to play with a some goons, though I'm still undecided on if the Wii U having an almost always on microphone in the controller is either an amazing idea or a terrible idea. It's certainly something entering a lobby to hear a guy yelling at his girlfriend or a crying child.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
AFAIK, Gunlances also have the Piercing attribute, where it deals impact or slicing damage depending on where it hits.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

avlein posted:

AFAIK, Gunlances also have the Piercing attribute, where it deals impact or slicing damage depending on where it hits.

is that all hits or the shots only?

When you capture does it take into account any breaks you did before capping?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Agent Provocatard posted:

I just checked and saw I clocked in 175 hours. Seeing that a week contains 168 hours... :shepicide:

Also am I just terrible at IRC or is there actually no IRC monster hunter channel? I'm using Chatzilla but few times I've tried I don't see any channel. It'd be nice to play with a some goons, though I'm still undecided on if the Wii U having an almost always on microphone in the controller is either an amazing idea or a terrible idea. It's certainly something entering a lobby to hear a guy yelling at his girlfriend or a crying child.

The channel definitely exists. I'm there, and so are a ton of other people.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kooriken posted:

Well time to enter hell on Earth and do "Triumph of the Tyrants" aka Fight a Regular Diablos and Black Diablos.

I hate Diablos so much.

The good part of multi-monster fights is that the monsters all start with less life. Not sure on the numbers, but isn't it 50% for 2-monster fights and around 33% for 3-monster fights?

Bring materials for extra traps and bombs. Nuke regular Diablos down then you'll have time to work on the subspecies.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

Shelling and Wyvernfire deal fixed damage to wherever it hits. It'll do the same amount of damage to an armored point or a weak point.

Also yes, every break you attain will add those items to the drop table in the rewards screen.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Level Slide posted:

Wow, I practically spent two forty-hour work weeks on this? I should probably take a break. After I kill a couple Brachydios to make slime dual blades. And get the bugs to make the Magia Charm. And beat up the Ceadeus to upgrade my dragon switch axe, maybe a few more times to make the Helios set. Then grind up some resources and commodities with my exploding dual blades because that pumpkin armor reminds me of Dr. Doom.

Also I was off by a few hours, it's actually 85 hours.

Don't feel bad. I almost put in 200 hours into this game. Sometimes I just go online to hunt monsters with pubs and I just lose track of my free time v:shobon:v.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Dizz posted:

Don't feel bad. I almost put in 200 hours into this game. Sometimes I just go online to hunt monsters with pubs and I just lose track of my free time v:shobon:v.

And for reference, I built up 700 hours in MHFU just dicking around making armour sets and killing things. 99.9% of that was the equivalent of doing Tanzia quests solo though, so everything took a looooong time to kill, but it's still easy to build up time quickly.

Oh, also Lao-Shan Lung heavenlies. A significant portion of that time would have been spent hunting lao shan lung heavenlies. :suicide:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Now that I have some pretty crazy weapons for high rank, I want to go back and get the materials to upgrade the ceadeus lance. I can kill him in one quest, but I need 4 crooked horns and out of killing him 3 times tonight, I got 1. I now have more deep dragon gems than horns. :argh:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
It's like they took every one of Plesioth's lovely MHFU hitboxes and strapped them onto Diablos.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
...What?!

All this time trying to get a Brachydios Gem and then I get two in one run?! :psyduck: Drop rates!

More aggravating, I went and made like four Slime weapons just before this run since I was gonna give it one more shot then give up! Now I gotta farm him even more to get the few parts I need. drat you, MH3U!

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Now I remember why I didn't mind underwater combat at all in Tri, I used the Lagi armour all the way through HR. I crafted it this time from spare parts just so I could have swimming up for the Ceadeus.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hypha posted:

Most of my experience lancing is from P3rd and I haven't gotten through all of high rank yet but here is what happened with my game.

I was the opposite, I begin with gunlance and switched over time to the lance. The gunlance is really fun and there are some fights where I take it over a lance (it has a longer reach to get annoying tails) but for versatility, I would take a lance over a gunlance. The problem I found with the gunlance is that it is really difficult to keep up with monsters and blocking is much more important than with lances. I have to time my openings and my maneuvering is limited to one hop. I can still dodge through stuff but I can be blocking just as much as I am dodging. This leads to lag periods where I am not actively attacking the monster and ultimately it feels like I am trading blows. With a lance, I can be stuck in a pattern of dodging and stabbing a monster for as long as they let me and I don't need to block anything. I can also get off my combos faster with a lance than a gunlance. Gunlance has the ability where its shots do neutral damage (just flat damage to the monster) but lance can use either the cutting or impact hit modifier depending on which one is larger. A lance actually feels more offensive minded to me than the gunlance, cause lance is all about getting in there and staying in there. The gunlance can be played like this too but it is much harder; ultimately its approach is more defensive in mind. The lance looks like it has more defensive tools but those are the secret to your offense; you can do anything you need to with three hops. Evade and Evade up feels like cheating honestly.

Thanks, really appreciate this input. Didn't realize how much better the dodging was with the lance. I'll keep working on my lancing skills, it's the weapon that really seems to be clicking for me.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

ChibiSoma posted:

...What?!

All this time trying to get a Brachydios Gem and then I get two in one run?! :psyduck: Drop rates!

More aggravating, I went and made like four Slime weapons just before this run since I was gonna give it one more shot then give up! Now I gotta farm him even more to get the few parts I need. drat you, MH3U!

:qq: I wish I had lucky drops like that.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Speedboat Jones posted:

Now that I have some pretty crazy weapons for high rank, I want to go back and get the materials to upgrade the ceadeus lance. I can kill him in one quest, but I need 4 crooked horns and out of killing him 3 times tonight, I got 1. I now have more deep dragon gems than horns. :argh:

I'm in the exact same position. I hate Seadoo and his stupid horn that never stupid drops.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Bussamove posted:

I'm in the exact same position. I hate Seadoo and his stupid horn that never stupid drops.

I hope you aren't making his Low Rank armor because you will need all that poo poo for his G. Rank armor which is amazing. So unless you want to farm him a bajillion times or don't plan on hitting G. Rank for a long time, just save your materials. I'd recommend Alloy S as a good starting point for High Rank.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

AttackBacon posted:

I hope you aren't making his Low Rank armor because you will need all that poo poo for his G. Rank armor which is amazing. So unless you want to farm him a bajillion times or don't plan on hitting G. Rank for a long time, just save your materials. I'd recommend Alloy S as a good starting point for High Rank.

Working on getting some weapons that are lagging behind up to snuff, I need several horns for the next step in his lance. There's a lot of Ceadeus in my future. :smith:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Dizz posted:

:qq: I wish I had lucky drops like that.

My first G-rank carve off a big monster (well, a big monsters' tail) was a heavenly scale (well, actually a Crook). The room I was in had decided to take on the jho that showed up in a pecco hunt without realising I was in HR armour still.

I still need to get that lottery ticket because gently caress.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

Lance attacks do piercing, except for the slam which does impact and KO. Wyvern's fire and shots do neutral and fire (mostly neutral).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'm only 55 hours into this game and I'm amazed there is still more content. A bunch of unique monsters I haven't even fought, on top of more difficult variations of monsters I like to fight. There are just so many things to do I can't even handle it.

55 hours into most games I get bored, or the game ends. I rarely replay games, so I'm glad that this game just never ends. My :siren:girlfriend:siren: loves it too (maybe because it was free???? Thanks Ryuujin :v:). We had a bunch of fun playing together on multiplayer.

I must now convert every person in my life into a Monster Hunter. I want to be able to invite friends over for booze and Monsters.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Wow this Crimson Quropeco is colourful. Oh he has lightning, no problem, he doesn't hit very hard. Jeez stop doing your stupid call I don't want a Rathian interrup...

Oh sweet jesus :cry:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carecat posted:

Wow this Crimson Quropeco is colourful. Oh he has lightning, no problem, he doesn't hit very hard. Jeez stop doing your stupid call I don't want a Rathian interrup...

Oh sweet jesus :cry:

what does he call? My chacha always interrupts so I havent seen it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
A very angry pickle.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I'm only 55 hours into this game and I'm amazed there is still more content. A bunch of unique monsters I haven't even fought, on top of more difficult variations of monsters I like to fight. There are just so many things to do I can't even handle it.

55 hours into most games I get bored, or the game ends. I rarely replay games, so I'm glad that this game just never ends. My :siren:girlfriend:siren: loves it too (maybe because it was free???? Thanks Ryuujin :v:). We had a bunch of fun playing together on multiplayer.

I must now convert every person in my life into a Monster Hunter. I want to be able to invite friends over for booze and Monsters.

Yeah, the more-or-less endless nature of the game is really great. The only thing that ever stops me from playing more Monster Hunter is something new and shiny coming out to take my attention for a while.

Glad you and your lady-partner are having fun with it! Is good to spread joy of hunting monster faces. Now you just need to buy a Wii U (or two) so you can go online and hunt with all the goons!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yeah, the more-or-less endless nature of the game is really great. The only thing that ever stops me from playing more Monster Hunter is something new and shiny coming out to take my attention for a while.

Glad you and your lady-partner are having fun with it! Is good to spread joy of hunting monster faces. Now you just need to buy a Wii U (or two) so you can go online and hunt with all the goons!

I do have a Wii U and thats the copy I own! My woman-friend has a 3DS and we were able to use local multiplayer. I'm going to try and convince one of her friends (who also has a 3DS) to play monster hunter. He often :spergin: about a few games, so the nature of this game fits his personallity.

E: She just made a Wroggi Longsword and kept talking about how cool it looked and how much better it was. Then she paused, and said "Oh my god I think I'm obsessed with this game."

I've played occasionally with some goons online and a real life friend who also picked up the wiiu version. I'm so new to the game that Im a bit timid to get too far ahead of myself on the online quests. I guess I really shouldn't be! I have had an urgent quest for to kill rathian+alos for about a week now.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 5, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I do have a Wii U and thats the copy I own! My woman-friend has a 3DS and we were able to use local multiplayer. I'm going to try and convince one of her friends (who also has a 3DS) to play monster hunter. He often :spergin: about a few games, so the nature of this game fits his personallity.

I've played occasionally with some goons online and a real life friend who also picked up the wiiu version. I'm so new to the game that Im a bit timid to get too far ahead of myself on the online quests. I guess I really shouldn't be! I have had an urgent quest for to kill rathian+alos for about a week now.

Monster Hunter is great for the :spergin: just have to be careful they don't decide they hate it because there's too much of it. Still, more hunters is good thing! The more people that actually buy and enjoy this game, the better chance we have of getting more in the future. And maybe then we can all hate Capcom just a little less inside.

There's no need to be too timid about online! Just grab up some folk to back you up, and hop right on in! Just about everyone on the IRC channel are good people, and if you ask there's probably a few people around where you are who'd be more than happy to lend a hand, me included.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just fought Querepaco for the first time. Lost to the timer. Fighting this thing is actually easy. I was landing tons of hits, breaking poo poo off, and dodging like I was playing Dark Souls. But after landing about five solid hits, his rear end would up and fly away. Did you know paintballs wear off? I sure as hell didn't, until I spent 35 of the 50 minute timer looking for his rear end. Come back here you loving pussy! He summoned a Great Jaggi at the beginning of the fight, which isn't really a big deal, but I DID have to at least keep tabs on his rear end too so he wouldn't break my combos. He'd run away to lick his wounds, and always come right back limping into the fight whenever I found that rear end in a top hat bird again. I've upgraded my longsword into...something, so tonight when I get off work I can get back to murdering his rear end. I'll be mindful to bring more paintballs this time. Still, nothing is as disheartening as sitting 50 minutes in front of my TV chasing an rear end in a top hat bird and losing to the timer.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Another greatsword question:
How much do you value sharpness vs raw damage?

I just crafted a Golem Blade, which does 720 damage but has only yellow sharpness.
I then did the Shakalaka Savior II quest, where I had to fight a Duramboros, which was quite difficult.
One major problem was that my swings often bounced off the monster, which then left me open to its attacks.

I'm thinking of switching back to my Buster Blade, which only does 624 but has green sharpness.
What would you recommend?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

scissorman posted:

Another greatsword question:
How much do you value sharpness vs raw damage?

I just crafted a Golem Blade, which does 720 damage but has only yellow sharpness.
I then did the Shakalaka Savior II quest, where I had to fight a Duramboros, which was quite difficult.
One major problem was that my swings often bounced off the monster, which then left me open to its attacks.

I'm thinking of switching back to my Buster Blade, which only does 624 but has green sharpness.
What would you recommend?

Higher sharpness almost always wins out, to be honest.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Higher sharpness adds a multiplier to your raw damage, which makes it pretty important to have a high sharpness weapon for every weapon class. You're still going to do quite a bit of damage without as much sharpness, but sharpness has the multiplier going for it as well as stopping you from bouncing (which makes you do only 75% of the damage you'd normally do).

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

The biggest value of sharpness is that your attacks don't bounce. For example, green sharpness will cut through mostly everything for a while, except for oddities like Qurupeco's flint, which you'll need blue for. If the attack bounces, the RAW gets reduced by a third, I believe, so it's worth taking the RAW hit to get a better sharpness. They also provide a small modifier (+5% for green) for the attack formula, so that's worth keeping in mind.

If you're moving up the GS path, try aiming for the Ravager blade; it's easy to obtain and pretty good for it's rank.

Where's a good place to get armor stones?

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 5, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I crafted the melee p. ludroth set because I had most of the parts and i really needed to get out of my wroggi set for HR.
Can anyone recommend a good weapon to go along with it? I have the gigginox poison lance, but its starting to seem that status effects are a waste with slower weapons. I wouldnt mind trying out a new weapon type.

Do different models of the same weapon type have varying ranges? Some of the great swords and lances seem a bit shorter visually

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Ranges don't change despite visual models.

What enemies do you have access to, Fauxtool? If you have access to Brachydios, you can make slime weapons which would pretty much be the go-to weapon for the tier you're at. If you have online access, you could try to join up with a dios farm as well to get whatever you need material wise. If not; since you just hit HR you could try picking up the GS and go down the Iron/metal path up through Ravager blade, since it's made of 90% ores and getting access to HR/HR Volcano is a big step up in it's power.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Oh man I totally forgot how hard Dual Swords own. Got off my lazy butt and did Ceadeus with Brother Flames and I broke his beard faster than I used to do in Tri with a dragon - element Switchaxe.

Now if only one of my friends would switch to a large cutting weapon so I could take duals to every fight.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Do higher-sharpness weapons tend to lose durability more quickly? Or is it a different attribute of the weapon (bone vs iron origin)?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

5er posted:

Do higher-sharpness weapons tend to lose durability more quickly? Or is it a different attribute of the weapon (bone vs iron origin)?

Sharpness degrades at the same rate, however if you compare the sharpness meters you will see that they're different lengths, with different length shades of blue/green/yellow, etc... How long the grade of sharpness is on the meter is a rough representation of how long it will stay sharp. Some weapons do trade higher/longer sharpness for more damage, but you should be able to get a good idea by looking at the sharpness meter. Typically the highest sharpness level a weapon can achieve is also its shortest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TalonDemonKing posted:

Ranges don't change despite visual models.

What enemies do you have access to, Fauxtool? If you have access to Brachydios, you can make slime weapons which would pretty much be the go-to weapon for the tier you're at. If you have online access, you could try to join up with a dios farm as well to get whatever you need material wise. If not; since you just hit HR you could try picking up the GS and go down the Iron/metal path up through Ravager blade, since it's made of 90% ores and getting access to HR/HR Volcano is a big step up in it's power.

I have the materials for the ravager blade and a rusted hammer with dragon damage on it. I was more wondering if there was a weapon that worked well with the p ludroth set.

• Locked thread