Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

TaurusOxford posted:

But the problem is that adding the other franchises no longer makes it Mario Kart. Nintendo All-Stars Kart would be cool, but you'd either have to make it compete with Mario Kart, or kill off Mario Kart and make NASK the new series.

Sega had no problem calling their company-wide crossover "Sonic and All-Stars Racing" so why not call it "Mario Kart featuring Nintendo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: /\/\/\ - Because Mario Kart featuring Nintendo is a lovely name.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yeah and if you want to add people from outside of Nintendo to Super Smash Brothers you have to change the name! :effort:

Seriously, that's silly. Mario Kart 8 could make the gimmick be opening up the game to new racers from outside the Mario world and everyone would be fine with it. Hell, you can play as Pac-Man in the arcade version and nobody cried about canon. If Nintendo is making a Kart racer, it's Mario Kart. That's it.

There's a difference between adding one or two outside characters and adding every major Nintendo character to the Mario Kart series. Even if you only add protagonists, you got Samus, Link, Olimar, Pikachu, Pit, Captain Falcon, Fox, Ice Climbers, and Kirby all in a kart racer that's supposed to be centered around Mario characters.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Mario Kart doors are already open with Diddy and Funky Kongs having been in the previous two console titles.

The argument can be made for Donkey Kong (and DK Jr. on the SNES) having a place in the games considering Mario's genesis and the ongoing Mario vs Donkey Kong series, but once you're bring in characters from Donkey Kong Country you might as well have Pikachu, Samus, Link and whatever as well. Drop silly stuff like the baby characters, Metal Mario and the bee from Galaxy and you've got enough guest character spaces to give some more appeal without compromising the core Mario cast.

I have to take umbrage with Rosalina being called a "lame unlockable" though. Her sidestory was one of the best things about Mario Galaxy (one of the best games ever) and so she has a place in whatever she wants. The only lame thing is that she wasn't in the 3DS Mario Tennis game :colbert:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Edit: /\/\/\ - Because Mario Kart featuring Nintendo is a lovely name.

:thejoke:

I'm still 100% convinced they could add Samus to Mario Kart and no one would bat an eye. Theres no reason to re-brand a successful brand, even if you're adding Metroid Characters.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So are there any rpg games for this out now or in the forseeable future?

I tried Deus Ex but I hated the controls to the point of throwing the stupid tablet controller at the wall, and I'm bad at monster hunter.

Otherwise I can't say I'm interested in ports when I can get the game on the PC instead or Yet Another Mario Game.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Why not call it Mario Kart & Nintendo all-stars or some poo poo.

You keep the Mario kart name and put in all-stars or something there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Need for Speed is great, it supports every possible control configuration and lets you remap buttons. You can do gamepad, pro controller, classic controller, remote and nunchuk, steering wheel, and remote sideways without motion control. I like being able to play any way I want.

I've been thinking of buying this for some reason. I really didn't like it on the 360 at all but the upgrades and improvements seem like they're what it needed to really be a great game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jet Set Jettison posted:

:thejoke:

I'm still 100% convinced they could add Samus to Mario Kart and no one would bat an eye. Theres no reason to re-brand a successful brand, even if you're adding Metroid Characters.

The issue isn't adding 1-2 outside characters. The issue is adding EVERY OTHER Nintendo franchise to Mario Kart and it still being called "Mario Kart".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I tried Deus Ex but I hated the controls to the point of throwing the stupid tablet controller at the wall, and I'm bad at monster hunter.

Otherwise I can't say I'm interested in ports when I can get the game on the PC instead or Yet Another Mario Game.

Unless there's a demo out, Deus Ex HR DC isn't out for several months, so where/when did you try it?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Unless there's a demo out, Deus Ex HR DC isn't out for several months, so where/when did you try it?

I enforced at PAX East, there was about 3-4 Kiosks in the Square Enix booth on the expo floor.

It was the beginning part of the game. The controls were clunky as gently caress, the minigame was completely trivialized by using the touch screen, and the aiming with that stupid acceleration threw me off, and I played it on the PC on give me deus ex.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 5, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

How about just call it Mario Kart U and stop over thinking it. They arent competing with themselves either, they're competing with a sonic kart racer that's surpassed them in a lot of people's eyes.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TaurusOxford posted:

The issue isn't adding 1-2 outside characters. The issue is adding EVERY OTHER Nintendo franchise to Mario Kart and it still being called "Mario Kart".

I doubt anyone would care about this. At all. I wouldn't care if they put loving Solid Snake in there and called it Mario Kart.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not sure about how far into the future, but the sequel to Xenoblade has a trailer out. If you haven't played the first one, you need to.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Mario Kart: Smash Team Racing

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

How about just call it Mario Kart U and stop over thinking it. They arent competing with themselves either, they're competing with a sonic kart racer that's surpassed them in a lot of people's eyes.

The way I see it, if you keep releasing a product ad infinitum it reduces the value of all said products.

chaosapiant posted:

Not sure about how far into the future, but the sequel to Xenoblade has a trailer out. If you haven't played the first one, you need to.

I know, I'm absurdly excited for that, but that's 1. not for probably like 2 years and 2. Not getting a $350 console for 1-2 games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Replace karts with horse. Super Smash Riders. Mario on Yoshi, Wario on Boshi, Link on Epona, Baby Bowser on Bowser, DK on Rambi, Olimar on a Bulborb, star fox on his stupid triceratops friend, etc.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Pixeltendo posted:

Why not call it Mario Kart & Nintendo all-stars or some poo poo.

You keep the Mario kart name and put in all-stars or something there.

Or you just call it Mario Kart because who gives a poo poo if the name is not 100% accurate?

New, non-Mario related characters might actually get me to buy a Mario Kart game.

TaurusOxford posted:

You drive karts and Mario is in it and you can play as Mario driving a kart. How in the world is it an issue?

I mean I guess I'm not the best person to be arguing this since I assumed that non-Mario characters were in the game already. Is it still the same characters from like the N64 version?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Mario Kart Universe. Now you can have all your Nintendo characters. You're welcome. :smug:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

It will be called "Mario Kart U", feature 4 cups of 4 new tracks each with 50cc, 100cc, 150cc and mirror mode as well as 16 retro courses. There is no deviation from the formula and it will sell millions of copies. Sonic Racing did literally everything better than Mario Kart but Nintendo has no reason to improve their game at all, and that's a problem which has become apparent with almost all their franchises.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Put a bunch of old school Nintendo characters in the game. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing had Bonanza Bros. and Opa-Opa, Transformed had Gilius and Joe Musashi, and both games had Alex Kidd. Let's get the guy from Balloon Fight in there; he already has balloons so he's ready for the battle mode. Also, Mach Rider and Excite Bike guy both have motorcycles so they're already set.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

On the other hand, motorcycles loving sucked.

(I know I just complained about the Mario Kart games never introducing anything new. :ironicat:)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Obviously it's time for Konami's Wai Wai Racing (Konami Krazy Racers) to make a comeback.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Obviously it's time for Konami's Wai Wai Racing (Konami Krazy Racers) to make a comeback.

Already did on iOS, was still the best roster in a bad racing game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

EC posted:

I doubt anyone would care about this. At all. I wouldn't care if they put loving Solid Snake in there and called it Mario Kart.

I never said anyone would care. I just said it wouldn't make sense.

Katana Gomai posted:

Nintendo has no reason to improve their game at all, and that's a problem which has become apparent with almost all their franchises.

People could stop buying the games. Yes I know that's like asking the sun to stop setting considering the gamer who could make a difference is grossly outnumbered by the casuals who don't give a poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TaurusOxford posted:

People could stop buying the games. Yes I know that's like asking the sun to stop setting considering the gamer who could make a difference is grossly outnumbered by the casuals who don't give a poo poo.

You're doing two weird things here:

One, you're placing an inherent value on whether or not a cartoonish party kart racing game "makes sense". You can't claim you AREN'T putting a value on sense-making , because if no one is actually bothered by Snake in Mario Kart, then there's patently nothing WRONG with it. Your entire argument assumes that Mario Kart should make sense.

Secondly, "casuals"? Really? I hate the petty gamer and nerd-culture tribalism that goes on everywhere. My grandmother, rest her soul, was a "casual" who played Bomberman a bunch. She moved on to the weird 2D platformer Bomberman on my old Game Boy Color, and I'd call that a "hardcore" game; it's certainly difficult. If "casuals" are enjoying a game, the game must be doing something right, even if it isn't your cup of tea.

ugh too many :words:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Those terrible casuals. If only they could understand what it meant to be a true gamer.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TaurusOxford posted:

Like someone else said, if Mario is in it and there are karts that you race it will make sense. By your logic having Luigi in the game wouldn't make sense.

"Make sense"

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TaurusOxford posted:

It already doesn't make sense that a dinosaur and a plumber from Brooklyn are racing one another in go karts.

I swear if you weren't a regular poster, I would assume you were trolling.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Shut. It. Down.

Aliens: Colonial Marines for Wii U 'no longer in development'

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Nnnnnoooooooooooooooo!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh no the wii U is doomed that they didn't develop that piece of poo poo game for the system!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How terrible. How will WiiU owners get to experience the glory that was that game?!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Double Dash was my favourite Mario Kart, next to DS. Make another one like that, please.

Also, throw in all the characters, items and courses from other series that you can, nobody's complaining that Smash Bros is 'thematically inconsistent'. If I can be Waluigi racing in a mini version of Samus' space ship in a course set in Shadow Moses, then I couldn't be happier.

Also, take out the blue shell.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Nuked from orbit. It was the only way to be sure.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Oh no the wii U is doomed that they didn't develop that piece of poo poo game for the system!

The WiiU owners would be the only people desperate enough to buy the game. :v:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

That loving Sned posted:

Double Dash was my favourite Mario Kart, next to DS. Make another one like that, please.

Also, throw in all the characters, items and courses from other series that you can, nobody's complaining that Smash Bros is 'thematically inconsistent'. If I can be Waluigi racing in a mini version of Samus' space ship in a course set in Shadow Moses, then I couldn't be happier.

Also, take out the blue shell.

Yes, all of this. And yet despite that, I doubt it would be better than Sonic Transformed.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Random Stranger posted:

The WiiU owners would be the only people desperate enough to buy the game. :v:

I wonder how many WiiU-only owners bought that apparently lovely Walking Dead game...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Need for Speed is great, it supports every possible control configuration and lets you remap buttons. You can do gamepad, pro controller, classic controller, remote and nunchuk, steering wheel, and remote sideways without motion control. I like being able to play any way I want.
And two controllers at once :v:

Katana Gomai posted:

On the other hand, motorcycles loving sucked.

(I know I just complained about the Mario Kart games never introducing anything new. :ironicat:)
I want a free for all MK allowing single karts, double karts, and motorcycles. And bring back the super weapons from Double Dash.

TaurusOxford posted:

Well Nintendo probably cares considering how anal they are about their properties. That said they still have a bunch of characters they can add in within the Mario universe itself.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mercury Crusader posted:

I wonder how many WiiU-only owners bought that apparently lovely Walking Dead game...

114 at my gamestop according to the pre-order lists. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

japtor posted:

And two controllers at once :v:

There are sweet multicontroller systems out there.

Hell, Goldeneye had dual analog stick fps controls way back when using 2 controllers. Think N64 looked like you didnt have enough hands to use it already?

:colbert: use 2 like a boss.

• Locked thread