Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Christmas posted:

My god, I am counting six "intros" to that Robin Williams thing.

It's like counting tree rings, the more intros it has the older it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

ponzicar posted:

A lot of the people posting that stuff also seem to think that they're making liberals mad by doing that, because we are all Vietnam War era hippies who spit on them and call them baby murderers. They don't seem to have a reply when I tell that that if I hated the troops, I'd vote Republican, and cheer as they get killed and maimed invading countries in search of non existent WMDs.

ErIog posted:

You should also bring up the GOP routinely voting against any and all opportunities to help vets. For instance, a few months back they voted against a veterans jobs bill.

Exactly, so if you really hate the troops vote GOP. In the end, this is all part of America's sick obsession with patriotism and nationalism. We're entirely consumed with flag waving without any critical thought about our policies. We talk about the forefathers and the constitution in the same way we talk about Jesus and the Bible. It actually does feel that anti-intellectualism has become an integral part of our culture.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Amused to Death posted:

pink: You know what *name* or *name* i wish i wasnt driving bc i am very upset with you. Please keep your disgraceful mouth off my page YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHY I DECIDED TO REPOST THIS SO DO NOT PRESUME THAT YOU KNOW

purple: You can't post something political in public, not really say why you posted it, then get mad when someone comments on it with a divergent viewpoint
This, more than anything, is what baffles me about political debates on Facebook. Most people have enough sense to keep their controversial political opinions to themselves when they're in an actual room with actual people who are likely to disagree with them; people generally don't like getting into arguments if they can help it. Yet somehow - when faced with the largest audience they can possibly reach - that good sense seems to fly out the window.

It's not hard, people! Don't say anything on Facebook that you wouldn't say face-to-face to each and every Facebook friend! And definitely don't get huffy when people rebut you on Facebook as hard as they would in real life.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
But the problem is, online, people can rebut you HARDER because they have a treasure trove of information at their disposal, whereas in person, you're much more likely to concede points for lack of readily available contrary evidence.

I wonder if that's part of what gets people so riled up online, is that their usual debate tactics fail in the face of what's usually more thought out logic and supporting evidence.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

But the problem is, online, people can rebut you HARDER because they have a treasure trove of information at their disposal, whereas in person, you're much more likely to concede points for lack of readily available contrary evidence.

I wonder if that's part of what gets people so riled up online, is that their usual debate tactics fail in the face of what's usually more thought out logic and supporting evidence.

The problem is that conservative thought tends to thrive in an unmoderated environment, where you can just make stuff up wholesale with very few repurcussions.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Smart phones are kind of nullifying the whole 'throw as much baseless bullshit as you can at them' approach in face to face debates now as well. There's been more than one occasion recently where someone's tried pushing a lie with me even after being called out on it, so I just whipped out my phone and found a rebuttal.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Blarghalt posted:

The problem is that conservative thought tends to thrive in an unmoderated environment, where you can just make stuff up wholesale with very few repurcussions.

I'd say reactionary instead of conservative in this case. There are conservatives with well-considered ideas but they generally don't post about bill Cosby on Facebook.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tibeerius posted:

This, more than anything, is what baffles me about political debates on Facebook. Most people have enough sense to keep their controversial political opinions to themselves when they're in an actual room with actual people who are likely to disagree with them; people generally don't like getting into arguments if they can help it. Yet somehow - when faced with the largest audience they can possibly reach - that good sense seems to fly out the window.

It's not hard, people! Don't say anything on Facebook that you wouldn't say face-to-face to each and every Facebook friend! And definitely don't get huffy when people rebut you on Facebook as hard as they would in real life.
I find that very surprising about US culture. In Israel it's very common to have heated political debates at work, and then you just move on with your life. I'll have a heated exchange with a friend on Facebook, then thank them a day later about a book recommendation they made.

That way, really abhorrent thinking gets out in the open, and you don't suddenly find that this person you've thought was cool was actually a fascist nutbag - you'd find it out within a week.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
We like grudges and being passive aggressive. I used to be a huge dick when people would post bullshit and I didn't get many favorable responses from that. Now I try to be nice and give the person an out and they just delete my posts. One guy posted a hoax image of a massive snake in the Amazon. I remembered seeing the story when it came out, and that it was originally in Asia and also a hoax. I said something like "I remember this story from when it first came out, wasn't it in Asia? Also I think it was a fake." He deleted my post then sent me a PM saying "Oh Nick, always contradicting the world". I guess I should just embrace being seen as a contrarian and act like an rear end in a top hat.

My family stopped sending me political emails a long time ago and my new feed is mainly bullshit and hippy stuff so I don't have much to contribute anymore. The biggest thing recently has been a lot of outrage at the "Monsanto Protection Act".

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I find that very surprising about US culture. In Israel it's very common to have heated political debates at work, and then you just move on with your life. I'll have a heated exchange with a friend on Facebook, then thank them a day later about a book recommendation they made.

That way, really abhorrent thinking gets out in the open, and you don't suddenly find that this person you've thought was cool was actually a fascist nutbag - you'd find it out within a week.

I would never have a heated political debate at work, for fear of being fired for my opinions.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

My mom sat me down and seriously asked me if I'd seen the new dollar bills that had IN GOD WE TRUST removed. Because of Obama. You see, because Obama ordered it.
Wasn't all that IN GOD WE TRUST and "...under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance added in the 1950's as part of the red scare? The idea being that the Soviets or communists would somehow be scared off or identified by how much they hated to say "God"?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

DarkHorse posted:

Wasn't all that IN GOD WE TRUST and "...under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance added in the 1950's as part of the red scare? The idea being that the Soviets or communists would somehow be scared off or identified by how much they hated to say "God"?

Yes. If the GOP wins the Presidency and legislature again, expect all our money to feature pictures of pigs.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

nsaP posted:

He deleted my post then sent me a PM saying "Oh Nick, always contradicting the world". I guess I should just embrace being seen as a contrarian and act like an rear end in a top hat.

"Oh you, always censoring people you don't agree with."

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
While I admit that I'm a Brit, I think my friend list may be broken. I've had a guy (admittedly a goon) posting a rant about the "bar tab as taxation" shite and then an ex-work colleague put up this:-

http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/2013/04/03/an-open-letter-to-my-dad-on-the-occasion-of-his-recent-anti-vax-facebook-postings/

Image below. I think my facebook friends fail at being idiots.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Amused to Death posted:

Indeed. C'mon Connecticut goons, Malloy signed the gun control legislation today. You have to have something juicy on your feed.

And someone linked to this which is too long to capture in a screen shot, but something about some Columbine father.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4874281742165&set=a.2290080298744.133235.1451076434&type=1

Oh I've gotten plenty of it. I don't have the energy to fight with everyone. I've been mulling saying in this one instance, I hope thier cries of a slippery slope do happen, and all guns get banned.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

This was in my inbox this morning.

quote:

Good afternoon, USF students -

The USF Police Department has issued a notice about a planned protest coordinated by several student organizations during the week of April 8-12, 2013, that involves individuals wearing empty holsters on top of their clothing. The protest is intended to promote their support of persons with concealed weapons permits being allowed to carry concealed weapons while on campus.

You should expect to see students wearing empty holsters throughout campus next week, and some may be handing out literature about the effort.

Of course, if you should see an actual firearm being carried by anyone other than a properly identified police officer, please call 9-1-1 immediately.

ugh. just...ugh.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Keshik posted:

This was in my inbox this morning.

ugh. just...ugh.

Can someone explain to me why people feel the need to be strapped at literally all times? They can't spend a couple hours on campus without a gun within arms reach?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dirty Job posted:

Can someone explain to me why people feel the need to be strapped at literally all times? They can't spend a couple hours on campus without a gun within arms reach?

Paranoia mostly. And people see one too many action movies and imagine one day they'll get held up by a mugger and theyll reach for their handgun and blow that criminal scum away and wont be injured because they're the good guy.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dirty Job posted:

The whole purpose of having a concealed weapon is to make themselves feel manly to be able to respond to "bad guys with guns" with "good guys with guns" whenever the former would occur. For that purpose, you obviously need to have it on you at all times, because "bad guys" are everywhere.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
With concealed carry, at least everyone is happy. Gun dude gets to be armed, people who don't like guns don't have to feel intimidated when they realize they person next to them in line has a revolver or whatever strapped to them. Open carry is ridiculous though. It serves no other purpose than intimidate, except you're intimating the wrong drat people. People who don't like guns are going to feel awkward as hell anywhere near you, and you just let it be known to the world, "Hey, if in you're need of a gun, you can probably just smash me in the back of the head with something from behind and I'll be too confused for a few moments to stop you from taking it" I mean unless you're a cop or something, isn't the entire purpose of carrying a gun to not let other people know you have it, that way if the need to pull says gun comes up somehow, they won't be expecting it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I heard on NPR this morning that apparently some state (I want to say Tennessee but I can't remember specifically) just made it explicitly legal to open carry in church, which is funny as hell.

I think the same bill (or a similar one in another state) also made it legal to carry to work against your employer's wishes, as long as you keep it locked in your car - which strikes me as a completely loving retarded idea. If somebody decides to shoot the place up, what are you gonna do - run to the car, strap up and head back in? Why not get in your car and drive the gently caress away? Also, what happens when somebody decides to smash a few windows? Instead of finding a cheap stereo and some loose quarters, their day just got really loving awesome!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Amused to Death posted:

With concealed carry, at least everyone is happy. Gun dude gets to be armed, people who don't like guns don't have to feel intimidated when they realize they person next to them in line has a revolver or whatever strapped to them. Open carry is ridiculous though. It serves no other purpose than intimidate, except you're intimating the wrong drat people. People who don't like guns are going to feel awkward as hell anywhere near you, and you just let it be known to the world, "Hey, if in you're need of a gun, you can probably just smash me in the back of the head with something from behind and I'll be too confused for a few moments to stop you from taking it" I mean unless you're a cop or something, isn't the entire purpose of carrying a gun to not let other people know you have it, that way if the need to pull says gun comes up somehow, they won't be expecting it.

As someone who doesn't like guns, I'm not happy at all with concealed carry. I'm not literally walking around all day paranoid that people are going to start firefights, but knowing on some level that random people trying to be heroes are walking around armed is hardly comforting.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Countblanc posted:

As someone who doesn't like guns, I'm not happy at all with concealed carry. I'm not literally walking around all day paranoid that people are going to start firefights, but knowing on some level that random people trying to be heroes are walking around armed is hardly comforting.

I'm a gun owner, and I don't like concealed or open carry. Most people lack the judgement on how to use a deadly weapon in a stressful moment. I don't want some rear end in a top hat playing hero when a jerkface is robbing a bank/convenience store. Let them take the loving money, don't start some stupid shootout. Once you do that, you put other people's lives in danger so some company/bank can save a few bucks.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Mitchicon posted:

I'm a gun owner, and I don't like concealed or open carry. Most people lack the judgement on how to use a deadly weapon in a stressful moment. I don't want some rear end in a top hat playing hero when a jerkface is robbing a bank/convenience store. Let them take the loving money, don't start some stupid shootout. Once you do that, you put other people's lives in danger so some company/bank can save a few bucks.
I don't even see how it's saving a few bucks, bodies are costly. How much longer is the bank going to be down over a homicide instead of armed robbery? How many customers are going to avoid the convenience store where they saw photos of chalk outlines in the paper? It carries down to lesser crimes, as well. What's worse, letting a teenager get away with a pair of designer jeans, or having your staff injured in a physical altercation trying to stop them?

It's purely about ideology, albeit the one that bad people shouldn't be allowed to do bad things, in spite of the consequences.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mitchicon posted:

I agree with this entirely. If someone wants to be that "good guy with a gun" then they should go apply for the local police service.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Zerilan posted:

I agree with this entirely. If someone wants to be that "good guy with a gun" then they should go apply for the local police service.

But that means you have to train and actually do non-cool stuff, like not shooting people for giving you lip. Except in certain cities.

I got into a debate once about why extra people playing Duke Nukem or HALO in real life, wanting to be the hero, ends up with a larger body count. Because you, Good Citizen Expert Marksman, aim a gun at the bad guy, and then someone aims a gun at you because you have a gun aimed on someone else, and then someone else has a gun on the first and third guy, and then someone yells to drop it or he'll shoot. It's the best form of a standoff ever!

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

But that means you have to train and actually do non-cool stuff, like not shooting people for giving you lip. Except in certain cities.

I got into a debate once about why extra people playing Duke Nukem or HALO in real life, wanting to be the hero, ends up with a larger body count. Because you, Good Citizen Expert Marksman, aim a gun at the bad guy, and then someone aims a gun at you because you have a gun aimed on someone else, and then someone else has a gun on the first and third guy, and then someone yells to drop it or he'll shoot. It's the best form of a standoff ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5GJHYXrjhY
This is the America that I believe in!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Less wannabe heroes with badges would be my preference.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Sir Rolo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5GJHYXrjhY
This is the America that I believe in!

It has been so long since I saw that clip. I wish I could say I thought it was as cheesy then as I do now. When the random doves started flying around, I about lost it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mitchicon posted:

Banks are insured against robbery by the government so you're not even saving them money. In fact they would actively prefer you just let criminals take the money, they can replace it in a couple of days (and most money in banks doesn't physically exist there anyway). If someone gets killed, aside from the tragedy of a death, it just seriously complicated the legal proceedings.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Cowslips Warren posted:

That is the best idea for an FPS mod ever. Like TFC Hunted but with most players being Civilians (bots to fill out the team), one Assassin, and the escort team would be divided into Heroes (who look exactly like the Assassin) and Police. Killed Civilians would respawn as Police. The objective as the Heroes is to kill the Assassin, without killing Civilians (who look the same except unarmed) or Heroes.

Everyone's gunning for the Assassin, so give them more HP and better weapons than anyone but the Police. And as time goes on the spawning Police are better armed. Like the first Police on scene has just a pistol or a shotgun, and it gradually scales up.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

Bo-Pepper posted:

I didn't know exactly where to go so I figure this thread is as good as any. I got into a conversation with my father where he dropped the bomb saying there have been no cases where people from the right have tried to shut down incidents of left leaning people speaking their mind publicly. Whereas lefties try to shout down right wingers all the time. My mind melted a little bit as I couldn't believe his rose colored glasses towards this idea of the noble conservative willingness to hear out liberal speakers wherever they may find themselves. When I told him I couldn't believe there were no incidents of conservative censorship of liberal speakers, he demanded examples.

I have none at hand but I intend to bring him some. Any examples you can help out with? Or where would be a good place to look?

This is going back in the thread a few days, but I just remembered the time the Romney campaign bus circled an Obama speech site while honking its horn. I suppose it doesn't really count because it happened before Obama started speaking, though the article mentions an earlier incident.

TPM posted:

In Massachusetts last month, Romney supporters greeted Obama senior adviser David Axelrod at a campaign event by shouting and blowing bubbles at those in attendance.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Cowslips Warren posted:

At the risk of, ugh, starting gunchat, can anyone find a significant number of reported incidents of this happening? There's about 7-8 million licensed carriers in the U.S., plus another 4-5 million adults who live in states where no license is required to concealed carry. Way more than that if you count places you can open carry without a permit (but let's not because that's generally dumb in urban areas). Out of that many concealed carriers, how often does this Mexican standoff nightmare happen?

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 6, 2013

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

DeusExMachinima posted:

At the risk of, ugh, starting gunchat, can anyone find a significant number of reported incidents of this happening? There's about 7-8 million licensed carriers in the U.S., plus another 4-5 million adults who live in states where no license is required to concealed carry. Way more than that if you count places you can open carry without a permit (but let's not because that's generally dumb in urban areas). Out of that many concealed carriers, how often does this Mexican standoff nightmare happen?

Find your own God drat numbers

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
The Week in LL101:

Rich Obamas!

GOP talking point of the week.

Some sort of point about gay marriage.

Uh... what?

Gay marriage again.

Liberal hypocrites!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Sir Rolo posted:

The Week in LL101:

Rich Obamas!

This metaphor doesn't even make any sense :v:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Obama is both letting the poor starve and giving them undeserved free stuff :argh:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sir Rolo posted:

The Week in LL101:

Rich Obamas!

GOP talking point of the week.

Some sort of point about gay marriage.

Uh... what?

Gay marriage again.

Liberal hypocrites!

I'm still not convinced this isn't some deep cover operation to determine how few people actually recognize a strawman when it conforms to their political biases because the vast majority of these are strawman arguments. Occasionally we get to change it up with false equivalency or false dilemmas. :3:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Sir Rolo posted:

Uh... what?

We can all certainly remember the last few times that guns were forcefully and universally confiscated. Must not have worked out too well, though.

Sir Rolo posted:

Liberal hypocrites!

I'm not sure why this picture is used in so many image micros. Seems pretty inoffensive to me. I saw one posted that said "Thinks criminals will follow gun control laws... ...smokes pot." and commented that it may have a point if you planted bullets and AK trees grew out of the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

VideoTapir posted:

That is the best idea for an FPS mod ever. Like TFC Hunted but with most players being Civilians (bots to fill out the team), one Assassin, and the escort team would be divided into Heroes (who look exactly like the Assassin) and Police. Killed Civilians would respawn as Police. The objective as the Heroes is to kill the Assassin, without killing Civilians (who look the same except unarmed) or Heroes.

Everyone's gunning for the Assassin, so give them more HP and better weapons than anyone but the Police. And as time goes on the spawning Police are better armed. Like the first Police on scene has just a pistol or a shotgun, and it gradually scales up.

I think The Best Amendment is probably closest to what you want.