Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Seth knows his weed, his Delta 9 THC and what have you. Plus he always seems to have edibles on hand for gifts to friends (Which, let me be the first to say, THAT'S A GREAT FRIEND.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I've started making my way through the archives, and...Seth is incredibly ignorant, right? He's definitely funny, but he's like a less arrogant Ricky Gervais or Adam Carolla in how set in his ways he is. "There aren't other planets"...really?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Seth is a great actor.

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.
Seth is smarter than you. Believe it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Beeez posted:

I've started making my way through the archives, and...Seth is incredibly ignorant, right? He's definitely funny, but he's like a less arrogant Ricky Gervais or Adam Carolla in how set in his ways he is. "There aren't other planets"...really?

He's playing a character most of the time. He's being intentionally obtuse because his persona of crazy misanthrope who hides in his house and watches his giant screen TV is hilarious. Do not attempt to know Seth.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I believe Seth actually is actually ignorant about a lot of things, (Mostly about things that someone in Florida would care about, like guns, cars and hunting) but he plays it up a ton and exaggerates it for the yucks.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

He's playing a character most of the time. He's being intentionally obtuse because his persona of crazy misanthrope who hides in his house and watches his giant screen TV is hilarious. Do not attempt to know Seth.

UYD, the longest and best episode of Comedy Bang Bang.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

a starwar betamax posted:

I believe Seth actually is actually ignorant about a lot of things, (Mostly about things that someone in Florida would care about, like guns, cars and hunting) but he plays it up a ton and exaggerates it for the yucks.

"James Bond, he sleeps with broads, right? BOASHK!"

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares
My hands down favorite is when Seth got a current computer that could load flash and his first thought was to go to the doritos website

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Beeez posted:

:laffo:

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I know he's being sarcastic a lot, but what leads you guys to believe that literally 99.9% of what he says is as a character? Again, I'm a newbie, I'm happy to hear from the diehard fans on this.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Beeez posted:

I know he's being sarcastic a lot, but what leads you guys to believe that literally 99.9% of what he says is as a character? Again, I'm a newbie, I'm happy to hear from the diehard fans on this.

Well, 99.9% of what he says isn't "there aren't other planets," so the math here kinda falls apart.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

Because I interact with normal, non character playing human beings on a regular basis.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Beeez posted:

Because on the rest of what he talks about, he's simply smarter than a guy who actually believes there arent other planets. Seth plunges in so much weird stuff and culture but wouldnt know what James Bond is? If you listen to a lot, you find holes in what he says. In later episodes he drops tech terms that do not jibe with his techno-illiterate character and so on.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yannick_B posted:

"James Bond, he sleeps with broads, right? BOASHK!"

"James Bond is a secret agent who gets mad laid. His catchphrases are 'I'll be back,' and 'Fuggedaboutit!'"

Seth isn't that ignorant, he exaggerates things for humor. Jonathan, however, is (He said as much once, saying he needed to go back to school - Saying to Seth something along the lines of "You know it, anybody who has listened to this show with any regularity knows it.")

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

JethroMcB posted:

"James Bond is a secret agent who gets mad laid. His catchphrases are 'I'll be back,' and 'Fuggedaboutit!'"

"I'm the Bat Man. I'm gonna talk like this and I'm gonna GETCHA."

Beeez
May 28, 2012

WoG posted:

Well, 99.9% of what he says isn't "there aren't other planets," so the math here kinda falls apart.

I'm going by what y'all have been saying generally, not just in this specific instance. In this specific instance he was legitimately ranting, and the point of the rant seemed to be how dumb and out of touch with reality other people are, so it didn't really make sense to me as being insincere.

Sock The Great posted:

Because I interact with normal, non character playing human beings on a regular basis.

Really? What's that like? But for real, there are people who have tons of crazy opinions out there.

Yannick_B posted:

Because on the rest of what he talks about, he's simply smarter than a guy who actually believes there arent other planets. Seth plunges in so much weird stuff and culture but wouldnt know what James Bond is? If you listen to a lot, you find holes in what he says. In later episodes he drops tech terms that do not jibe with his techno-illiterate character and so on.

Well, I haven't gotten that far. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what Seth's deal is. Just as you all apparently are.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Seth's deal is that he's a weird, neurotic , anxiety-ridden person with enough awareness to recognize that and play up his quirks for laughs.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Whenever someone talks about Jonathan being dumb I always think about in episode 39 where they talk about how Saturn leaves you when you're 29 then returns at 32 and if you've learnt too much it kills you, so Jonathan decides to learn as little as possible to save himself from it.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
10% of African-Americans have downs syndrome.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Seth's deal is that he's a weird, neurotic , anxiety-ridden person with enough awareness to recognize that and play up his quirks for laughs.

ding ding ding

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I would not be surprised if he uses double-sided tape around his bed to keep insects from reaching him though.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

caligulamprey posted:

I would not be surprised if he uses double-sided tape around his bed to keep insects from reaching him though.

I live with a dude who does this so I never even questioned it for a moment.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I dont even remember, what is the context of the "there arent other planets" thing? If it was that time when he was ranting about idiots who obsess over the idea of packing up earth and colonizing other planets to solve resource problems then hes right

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I realized a while ago that I don't think I even care what Seth is "really" like.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I just listened to an episode where Johnathan comes right out and says "I was listening to old UYD episodes and I sound like a loving ignorant rear end in a top hat, and I'm sorry". Around episode 100 I think?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I realized a while ago that I don't think I even care what Seth is "really" like.

Yeah UYD fandom is kinda weird

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Seth is really like he is on the podcast. It's not a character; he's just

Anonymous Robot posted:

a weird, neurotic , anxiety-ridden person with enough awareness to recognize that and play up his quirks for laughs.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I live with a dude who does this so I never even questioned it for a moment.
I didn't doubt it for a moment because it sounds like a totally good idea.

Mainly after finding a camel spider in my bed while in my bed, once.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Seth is incredibly sincere, but not super consistent about what he's sincere about. After the two episodes with his mom, I was sure that Seth was very honest when he's not joking, which always seemed pretty clear to me.

Sethro Matelli is a very unique person.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

manyak posted:

I dont even remember, what is the context of the "there arent other planets" thing? If it was that time when he was ranting about idiots who obsess over the idea of packing up earth and colonizing other planets to solve resource problems then hes right

It starts off making fun of some 80s magazine that talks about goofy predictions for the future which then jumps to him saying in thirty years nothing will change which then leads to him declaring aliens don't exist and superhero movies aren't good and Battle Star Gallactica isn't good and then he says other planets don't exist and science is meaningless. Again, this didn't really seem like a joke, it seemed more like the humor was in mocking scientists and nerds and idiots who thought we'd have flying cars by the mid 90s.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
One of the fun things about this podcast is the dichotomy between Jonathan's completely open and tell-all nature and Seth's tight lipped privacy. There are very few things that you can really infer about seth and a lot of them require having listened to the show from the beginning to realize he's completely contradicted himself and he's lying. The times when he's actually being sincere are actually pretty obvious, like when he talked about being on Special K. Jesus, he didn't even talk about why he didn't talk in that one restaurant for like twenty episodes.

Oh christ I just remembered the story about the beautiful crazy girl who he interacted with at that restaurant while maintaining his vow of silence. Oh god he's the best.

I'd have to listen to exactly what you're talking about, but if it's what I'm thinking, he was just saying there was no reason to leave his apartment and there might as well not be any other planets because we're all just going to die of some unknown disease before that anyway because he's completely neurotic. or maybe he isn't, it doesn't matter.

Edit: You know what, I don't think I can really explain it. Keep listening, I'm interested to see if you can see what I mean after really getting into it.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Oh, I'll keep listening for sure. I'm really enjoying it, I just noticed that everyone in this thread talks about how ignorant Jah is and I thought it was strange that no one ever said Seth is a pretty ridiculous person himself. But I am only like 18-19 episodes in, so maybe I'll be able to tell when Seth's sincere more as I go on. I certainly didn't think his entire output so far was a "character", but maybe when I get further in I'll understand.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Beeez posted:

It starts off making fun of some 80s magazine that talks about goofy predictions for the future which then jumps to him saying in thirty years nothing will change which then leads to him declaring aliens don't exist and superhero movies aren't good and Battle Star Gallactica isn't good and then he says other planets don't exist and science is meaningless. Again, this didn't really seem like a joke, it seemed more like the humor was in mocking scientists and nerds and idiots who thought we'd have flying cars by the mid 90s.

I just listened to an episode where Seth talked for several minutes about how he prefers Botox for places that people don't see, like his pits, but he uses another brand for the crow's feet around his eyes.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Right, but in that instance there's no "target" to be mocked but himself. To use the Adam Carolla comparison again, when Carolla talks about how he likes to taste himself so he prefers to kiss a woman after she gives him oral, that's likely a joke. But when he complains about Mexicans and Blacks, even if he says funny things in the process, he's likely sincerely got a problem with said people. I mean, in Carolla's case it's genuinely offensive, but hopefully you understand my meaning.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Beeez posted:

I heard one recently where Seth says he thinks it's very unlikely that there isn't other life in the universe just based on how the universe is meant to be infinite. But for the same reason, he thinks it's very unlikely we will ever be contacted by other life (because how would they find us and if they did, why would they want to come here)

I think its in the 140s somewhere.

im a girl btw fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 6, 2013

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I just listened to an episode where Johnathan comes right out and says "I was listening to old UYD episodes and I sound like a loving ignorant rear end in a top hat, and I'm sorry". Around episode 100 I think?
I'm pretty sure this was in this week's episode.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
Seth is smarter than he pretends to be, and Jonathan is not as smart as he thinks he is. That's it.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I realized it was all an act when Seth didn't understand who or what Batman is

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

It's pretty well established that Seth works at a dispensary, no secret hints needed.
By what? I've listened to every episode and nothing aside from some of the real names of weed strains in weed/horse/mind's eye and one mention of him having a mmj recommendation form in a stolen usps bucket has really implied that he works at a dispensary.

Beeez posted:

Oh, I'll keep listening for sure. I'm really enjoying it, I just noticed that everyone in this thread talks about how ignorant Jah is and I thought it was strange that no one ever said Seth is a pretty ridiculous person himself. But I am only like 18-19 episodes in, so maybe I'll be able to tell when Seth's sincere more as I go on. I certainly didn't think his entire output so far was a "character", but maybe when I get further in I'll understand.
Just keep listening, you'll develop a sense for when it's just shtick eventually. When I first started listening I really believed in Jeff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

bango skank posted:

By what? I've listened to every episode and nothing aside from some of the real names of weed strains in weed/horse/mind's eye and one mention of him having a mmj recommendation form in a stolen usps bucket has really implied that he works at a dispensary.

Was he telling the truth when he said that there was a weed named after him(Seth's Sexy Sativa)?