Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I love his little face. It could be “awww shucks," but because he is a bunny, I'm sure it's more, “the only reason I haven't killed and eaten you is because you taste bad." Also his little stick up hairs between his ears look like a home emo haircut and that's what I love in a bun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

I think that he looks like everything BUT a rabbit. He looks different in every photo and I don't really know what he thinks ever so I can't really say that one speaks more for his personality than the others...

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

I think that he looks like everything BUT a rabbit. He looks different in every photo and I don't really know what he thinks ever so I can't really say that one speaks more for his personality than the others...

PATERFACE. I want to smoosh it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is he a Holland Lop or part Holland? They always have those flat faces.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is he a Holland Lop or part Holland? They always have those flat faces.

He's a German Lop. Seriously, look up German Lop in GIS... they all look exactly the same.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Is there anyway, short of constant supervision, to keep Harriet from peeing on my goddamned couch? It seems like every week she'll decide randomly to hop onto my couch and pee on it. Really loving annoying.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Given my (admittedly limited) experience, I'm pretty sure the only way is by not owning a rabbit.

Was just looking through my old photobucket and found a pic of the first rabbit my best mate owned. His name was Taz (Don't let geeky men in their early 20s name ANYTHING) and he was lovely and cuddly and the bestest bunny ever. I am going to immortalise him here because he deserves it

He sadly succumbed to a respiratory illness, it sucked and my mate still misses him.

Am using this thread to cheer myself up a bit. Due to various circumstances, Juppo is going to have to come live with my parents for a month or so while I get myself sorted. Yay house moving and university uncertainty. Fortunately Mum loves animals and Dad pretends to barely tolerate them but secretly probably loves them more than my Mum, but I'm still gonna miss her, I'll be living with my best mate during the move so I can stay in my university city and she already has a dog and no room for a rabbit to live happily, while my parents have a lot of space and spare time so it's a no-brainer. However, when everything is sorted, she'll get to be a properly free range house rabbit 24/7 as opposed to being one that only gets day release while I'm awake so yay! Can't wait to show her her new house and take the top off her cage so it's just a convenient rabbit poo poo/hay collector rather than her home. I'm already planning out how to perfectly rabbit-proof the new place so we're both happy.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 8, 2013

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm sorry about your, and your friend's, loss :(

Explaterson!

Little buddy seems to be having quite the ~*~moment of clarity~*~. Not only is he exploring the hallway, he is now all the way across the apartment in the living room. We have been here for six months and he never ventured out of this room and now he's all over the place and possibly trying to escape onto the balcony. Go figure.

luscious fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 11, 2013

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Thanks, that lil bun rocked and he loved me way more than mine does <3

Exploratory bunnies are the best/worst. I've kinda loved letting mine out into the hallway recently while I've had the house to myself. Can't wait to see how she reacts to having the run of the entire house when we move. Well, most of the house. If she thinks she's getting into the kitchen she's got another thing coming...

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

happyflurple posted:

Thanks, that lil bun rocked and he loved me way more than mine does <3

Exploratory bunnies are the best/worst. I've kinda loved letting mine out into the hallway recently while I've had the house to myself. Can't wait to see how she reacts to having the run of the entire house when we move. Well, most of the house. If she thinks she's getting into the kitchen she's got another thing coming...

You know that the kitchen will be deemed the only place worth her time, and become impossible to remove if she ever does find her way in there, right?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

luscious posted:

I'm sorry about your, and your friend's, loss :(

Explaterson!

Little buddy seems to be having quite the ~*~moment of clarity~*~. Not only is he exploring the hallway, he is now all the way across the apartment in the living room. We have been here for six months and he never ventured out of this room and now he's all over the place and possibly trying to escape onto the balcony. Go figure.

Don't worry. First squirrel he sees out on the balcony he'll come tearing back in and not go out there again for another 6 months.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

grack posted:

Don't worry. First squirrel he sees out on the balcony he'll come tearing back in and not go out there again for another 6 months.

HA! We had ours outside last year and I wandered off for a bit and heard the fat one making this god awful racket and running about and thumping as loud as possible, I come back and there she is, chest puffed out, glaring at a squirrel on the fence in "rabbit attack pose."

The squirrel turned its back to her and starting swishing it's tail around which sent Tubbs bonkers charging the cage and thumping loud then ever.

Rabbits. They don't like squirrels

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Prawned posted:

You know that the kitchen will be deemed the only place worth her time, and become impossible to remove if she ever does find her way in there, right?

I had a feeling that would be the case :(

Going home today, have really missed her. For some reason. Apparently she's been attacking my housemate every time he's fed her and I'm like 'you do know you could have just dropped it through the top of the cage right?'.

edit: I swear Paterson looks just like one of my parents' old chinchillas.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

He looks like everything. I loving love that little devil. He freaked out earlier when he discovered the pizza box opened if he nudged it.

My sweet prince.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Harriet actually climbs up onto the back of a chair to stare at squirels out the window.

Also I swear she's a drat tribble

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

happyflurple posted:

I had a feeling that would be the case :(

Whoever said cats are the most curious animals never met rabbits. But perhaps curiosity isn't the right word, they just love going to places which are verboten.

Snoopy loves the one bedroom and will hide under the bed between bags and rubbish if possible, and Peanut loves getting into the study to much computer cables. They will make a mad dash for either room should the opportunity present itself.

Snoopy is often surprised

while Peanut is gives no fucks

and loves squishing her tummy on the cool bricks

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

So Paterson's chewing has gotten really loud. Not like he is in pain.... his all the time even eating food chewing. The vet looked at his teeth when we were there last and said that everything was ok. Hm.

Right now he's sitting with one ear right up. I guess that Bitsy was grooming him and his head is still a little bit sideways so it just stayed there. He looks like a unicorn.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hey all! Awhile back Chaco and I posted about a baby Jack Rabbit that had been brought into our clinic. We later determined it to be a he!

Remember this?

After two months, he was ready to head out today!

http://youtu.be/JF1dFUSvN_4

The break in video removed the half a minute of rabbit going to and hanging out next to the carrier.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

omg so cute!!

Will that baby manage to find a crew to hang out with? How does that all work?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

luscious posted:

omg so cute!!

Will that baby manage to find a crew to hang out with? How does that all work?

They are pretty solitary by nature. We put him in an area away from what counts as a population center around here, with lots of appropriate vegetation and abundant other wildlife. He's been eating some amount of greens and hay for over a month now, and entirely off the bottle for about 5 days and eating enough to keep gaining weight, so he should be good to go.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Dr. Chaco posted:

They are pretty solitary by nature. We put him in an area away from what counts as a population center around here, with lots of appropriate vegetation and abundant other wildlife. He's been eating some amount of greens and hay for over a month now, and entirely off the bottle for about 5 days and eating enough to keep gaining weight, so he should be good to go.

Yay! He's so cute!!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

luscious posted:

Yay! He's so cute!!

It was the most awesomest thing to see him burrow himself into the tall grass just to see his giant ears slowly rise up from his hidey hole when he was about to move. :3:

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Aha, jackrabbits are ace and that was an adorable video, really made me smile

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Dr. Chaco posted:

Really cool to get an update on that, great work!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Patercorn!

I have no idea why he has been doing this with his ear... it probably has something to do with the head tilt but it's not THAT bad at all anymore. Their heads tilt in opposite directions and it's really stupid and funny.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

luscious posted:

I have no idea why he has been doing this with his ear... it probably has something to do with the head tilt but it's not THAT bad at all anymore. Their heads tilt in opposite directions and it's really stupid and funny.
I had a half-Holland lop who did that for years, until eventually he stopped having his ears down at all. I'm not sure what the deal is.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Pepper's bun buddy died a year ago, and I know she needs a friend. My current plan was to wait for people to get tired of their Easter bunnies and go see what the humane society had to offer, when do you think people will start dumping them there? (I largely suspect Pepper herself was an Easter bunny too.)

Also, I live in central Kentucky, with no HRS chapter. I've heard of HRS chapters who will bond bunnies for you, is that worth the drive to Ohio or would that be too hard on Pepper? I'm tempted to say it would be too hard, but she's a mean little spit sometimes, and bonding her the first time was a bitch.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Having options for bunny bonding is pretty key as far as I'm concerned. The two bondings I've done have been dead easy, as the rabbits went through speed dating at a shelter, and found a perfect match. Ben and Arya were living together back in Ben's old cage within a week and a half, and I probably could have gotten away with it sooner. Matching personalities is really important, and if you just grab a bun off craigslist you wont really have that option. How far is the drive? Past 2-3 hours I've heard is tough on buns, but still, it might be worth it, as I've heard some bonding processes can take months!

Here's a question I have for the rest of you: Girlfriend and I are moving into a new place, which I intend on being bun-proof so that they can free-roam all the time. It's my biggest regret about my current place, and I feel it really makes the rabbits less social, even if their cage is huge. That's no issue, I've bun-proofed things before. My real issue is the gf really wants to get a dog (I do too). From what I've heard, your only real chance is to start with a puppy, and hammer it into the dog while it matures. I know you also want to aim for a breed that is less hunting-oriented right? Is this a pipe dream or can I make this work. Perhaps having the buns free-roam only when I get home would be better?

Right now free-roam is more a priority than the dog, as Arya is the least social rabbit ever and is sassy about it. If I try and pet her, she runs to the other corner, and thumps. I seriously have to socialize her.....

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Deceptor101 posted:

Having options for bunny bonding is pretty key as far as I'm concerned. The two bondings I've done have been dead easy, as the rabbits went through speed dating at a shelter, and found a perfect match. Ben and Arya were living together back in Ben's old cage within a week and a half, and I probably could have gotten away with it sooner. Matching personalities is really important, and if you just grab a bun off craigslist you wont really have that option. How far is the drive? Past 2-3 hours I've heard is tough on buns, but still, it might be worth it, as I've heard some bonding processes can take months!

Here's a question I have for the rest of you: Girlfriend and I are moving into a new place, which I intend on being bun-proof so that they can free-roam all the time. It's my biggest regret about my current place, and I feel it really makes the rabbits less social, even if their cage is huge. That's no issue, I've bun-proofed things before. My real issue is the gf really wants to get a dog (I do too). From what I've heard, your only real chance is to start with a puppy, and hammer it into the dog while it matures. I know you also want to aim for a breed that is less hunting-oriented right? Is this a pipe dream or can I make this work. Perhaps having the buns free-roam only when I get home would be better?

Right now free-roam is more a priority than the dog, as Arya is the least social rabbit ever and is sassy about it. If I try and pet her, she runs to the other corner, and thumps. I seriously have to socialize her.....

Our two dogs, an Akita and a Shiba Inu, got along fine with our house bunny before she passed away a few months ago. The worst that ever happened was the Akita bathing the bunny, which she would tolerate surprisingly well. Basically you just have to discipline the puppy/dog when it tries to get too rough with the bunny. When they get too rough just tell them to be gentle/easy with the rabbit, you don't have to jerk it away. At first it would be best to hold on to the puppy when it approaches the bunny to smell it. Tell it no when it tries to do something like pawing the bunny or putting it in its mouth. Especially if the puppy is raised around rabbits it will learn quickly that it shouldn't harm them. Breed isn't actually as important as just making sure the dog is trained well, as Shiba Inu's are known for an insane prey drive and we got her to leave Shimo alone.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Can stuff still work out if the dog is relatively young but not a pup? Mrs Happyflurple has an absolutely adorable three year old Staffy crossed with god knows what (we're guessing labrador and something else, god he has such a curly tail :3:) that she got from a rescue, and we're worried about how he'll get on with Juppo. As it goes at the moment, we just don't let the dog in my room when she visits but we're looking at possibly living together when my house purchase goes through and I'm wanting to keep bunnykins in the front room so she can chill with me as much as possible til I get her a bunny friend. The dog is incredibly friendly and well trained, but Mrs Happyflurple thinks that he'd go for the rabbit as soon as he saw it, despite not demonstrating that kind of behaviour otherwise. She is noted for being paranoid so just wondering if anyone else has experience with this? Even if we don't move in together, I'd like them to get along so bunny can live in my living room and the dog doesn't have to be confined to outdoors while he's visiting.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 15, 2013

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.

Deceptor101 posted:

Let me tell you, I've been trying to get my buns to bond for ages now and they just refuse to get along. We fell in love with a rescue rabbit and ended up taking her in, much to the consternation of our other bunny, Pixel.

Once it`s nice out again, I`m going to try taking them outside together. Maybe they`ll turn to each other for solidarity against the big scary world.

Anyone have any good bonding tips?

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Maybe they`ll turn to each other for solidarity against the big scary world.

I have no experience with bonding but I believe that's a strategy, taking them for car rides and what not.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Guess who's been sick again, guess who's all better and loving that celery/endive dinner! It's Billy!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

So since Paterson has been on his medicine he has been really curious and interesting and... smart?? Only kind of smart - still not really that bright but at least not comatose.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Let me tell you, I've been trying to get my buns to bond for ages now and they just refuse to get along. We fell in love with a rescue rabbit and ended up taking her in, much to the consternation of our other bunny, Pixel.

Once it`s nice out again, I`m going to try taking them outside together. Maybe they`ll turn to each other for solidarity against the big scary world.

Anyone have any good bonding tips?

Stick 'em in the tub together.

Edit: Dry tub, no water.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

luscious posted:

So since Paterson has been on his medicine he has been really curious and interesting and... smart?? Only kind of smart - still not really that bright but at least not comatose.

Good luck with that, I'm starting to prefer comatose post-spay Juppo over the mini Indiana Jones she is now ;) She seems to take that 'I can't see you so you can't see me approach' to destroying my stuff. I've also told my Mum of my plans to adopt another, larger, rabbit when I move house and her response was 'but the one you have is loving massive!'. Juppo is a Mini Rex, best I can tell :3:

edit: Holy poo poo, if you wanna make a bunny happy, give em a pot of herbs. I've always just grabbed a handful off for her but gave her the rest of the parsley today and she's just all wide eyed and tearing it to bits.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 17, 2013

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
I just got a grey bunny, named him Thumper. He is just the most adorable thing! :3: Only had her for 3 days and the bastard already shat on my bed. :argh:

E: Quick question. How soon I can I feed it vegetables? She's 6 weeks old.

Mr Confetti fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 18, 2013

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Mr Confetti posted:

I just got a grey bunny, named him Thumper. He is just the most adorable thing! :3: Only had her for 3 days and the bastard already shat on my bed. :argh:

E: Quick question. How soon I can I feed it vegetables? She's 6 weeks old.

Copy/Paste from http://rabbit.org/faq-diet:

What quantities of food should I feed babies and “teenagers”?

Birth to 3 weeks–mother’s milk
3 to 4 weeks–mother’s milk, nibbles of alfalfa and pellets
4 to 7 weeks–mother’s milk, access to alfalfa and pellets
7 weeks to 7 months–unlimited pellets, unlimited hay (plus see 12 weeks below)
12 weeks–introduce vegetables (one at a time, quantities under 1/2 oz.)

The337th fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 18, 2013

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

Mr Confetti posted:

him
her
it
She

So uhhh, which is it? Whatever you think it is, it's probably still wrong, since 6 week old rabbits can be hard to sex (and shouldn't be away from mom yet, where the hell did you get this rabbit?) and it sounds like you didn't get this rabbit from a good situation.

Also:

-read EVERYTHING on rabbit.org
-Oxbow's pellets are best (though once your rabbit is 6 months old, they should only get a tiny amount of pellets if any at all)
-Order your timothy hay from KMShayloft, if they ship to wherever it is that you live
-don't use pine or cedar shavings
-don't buy treats from pet shops. Half the toys are crap as well (get toys from busybunny.com, but wait until he/she is like 6 months maybe)
-make a stasis emergency kit (simethicone drops, SnuggleSafe disc, Critical Care in the freezer, and feeding syringes)
-start an emergency fund
-find a rabbit-savvy vet. You cannot use just any vet.
-get him/her neutered/spayed when old enough

Pig Boots fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Got it from a pet store. And thanks.