Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

BigRed0427 posted:

Listening to the Pilot episode now. Seems cool so far. Does it have a overarching story or is it just weird happenings in a small desert town?

Nothing too grandiose, but there's call-backs and small developments, so it's worth listening to the episodes in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Len posted:

Have we heard how Cecils date with Carlos went? I hope it went well :ohdear:

To be honest this is my biggest question, along with what the Sandstorm in Desert Bluffs was actually like considering that Kevin basically dismissed his violent encounter with Cecil as a 'hug'.

I just want Cecil to be happy </3

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
This is really up my alley. I listened to the first three episodes; I'm going to download the rest. It's perfect for the early-morning bus rides to university.

As a slight criticism, it might be worthwhile to leave a little more to the listener's imagination, at times. There are a few moments where I wish you'd segued into something else and instead you went on to describe the phenomenon or occurrence in more detail. Like I said, it's a tiny thing, and I really, really enjoy this show.

Gau fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 5, 2013

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gau posted:

This is really up my alley. I listed to the first three episodes; I'm going to download the rest. It's perfect for the early-morning bus rides to university.

As a slight criticism, it might be worthwhile to leave a little more to the listener's imagination, at times. There are a few moments where I wish you'd segued into something else and instead you went on to describe the phenomenon or occurrence in more detail. Like I said, it's a tiny thing, and I really, really enjoy this show.

You mean like the shape in Grove Park?

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 5, 2013

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I must admit that the first few episodes i heard weren't really my thing, mostly due to the mix of comedy and horror, but i really liked the double part episode and will continue to listen.

I don't know much about Desert Bluff, but it actually sounded like a much better place, sure the blood and guts are kinda disturbing, but most other things sounded nice and friendly as opposed to the general level of constant bad things happening in Night Vale

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Yeah, I just caught up to those episodes. Does that mean that Desert Bluffs has a radio room that uses eldritch magic to function or something? :iiam:

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack

Oasx posted:

I must admit that the first few episodes i heard weren't really my thing, mostly due to the mix of comedy and horror, but i really liked the double part episode and will continue to listen.

I don't know much about Desert Bluff, but it actually sounded like a much better place, sure the blood and guts are kinda disturbing, but most other things sounded nice and friendly as opposed to the general level of constant bad things happening in Night Vale
I like to think that the folks in Desert Bluffs just have a super cheerful attitude about profound acts of violence. They come over and try to spread cheer and goodwill by murdering their doubles. "That nice fella in the sandstorm gave me a hug! :downs:" This comes to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I

It would also be cool if I'm totally wrong and the opposite is the case. Regardless, great stuff!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm going to give it a shot because the clip sounded promising, and because this will be the first time I can get into a podcast on the ground floor, rather than after it accumulates 300 backlogged episodes.

likeanimals
Jul 28, 2012

Brownview posted:

I like to think that the folks in Desert Bluffs just have a super cheerful attitude about profound acts of violence. They come over and try to spread cheer and goodwill by murdering their doubles. "That nice fella in the sandstorm gave me a hug! :downs:" This comes to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I

It would also be cool if I'm totally wrong and the opposite is the case. Regardless, great stuff!

That was sort of my take. Desert Bluffs is extremely cheerful (I originally thought that that was why they were...awful) about machines made of animal parts. So where Nightvale is creepy, dark, and sorta-cheerful-but-beware-dog park, sponsored by the government, Desert Bluffs is awfulness anesthetized by a veneer of extreme cheerfulness. I honestly thought Desert Bluffs was entirely normal until the first advertisement, and then Cecil's description of both the station and his double.

Which also had me wondering if there's a Desert Bluffs that is completely normal, and Nightvale hates it for it, and past the portal Desert Bluffs is entirely horrible with Nightvale being normal.

Oh, anyway, awesome job on the Podcast, one of three I check for updates on regularly.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
My girlfriend's sister found this podcast a couple weeks ago and I just started listening to it today. It is brilliant. I'll probably end up chainsmoking the entirety of it this week on during my commutes.

Cheers!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

maxnmona posted:

That was Jeffrey actually. We originally did it with Lou of Lou Reads The Internet, who has a great voice, but we decided that Carlos was such a major character we wanted to keep his voice with someone who could be called up to do it last second at any point. It was actually Cecil who recommended Jeffrey, and I agree with him. Jeffrey has this great "expert" voice that I think works perfectly.
Just for the record, I really like Jeffrey/Carlos' voice, and when the voice mails started playing I got this big goofy grin on my face.

I also got my T-shirt the other day. It's nice, seems like good quality and all. Kind of big even when I got the smallest size though, but that's a minor complaint.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Woebin posted:

Just for the record, I really like Jeffrey/Carlos' voice, and when the voice mails started playing I got this big goofy grin on my face.

I also got my T-shirt the other day. It's nice, seems like good quality and all. Kind of big even when I got the smallest size though, but that's a minor complaint.

Yeah, Alternative Apparel runs a little big. We tried to get x-smalls on our last reprint, but they don't make them.

Fieryspork
Sep 21, 2004
Shamu knows that i'm being sarcastic
I first found this when the A.V. Club reviewed it a few weeks ago. I caught the Satellite High song and you mentioned a contribution from SA at some point but i didn't realize you posted. This is my new favorite podcast and i burned through all of the episodes in a week. Keep up the good work!

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Which Disparition song is the main track played right after "Welcome, to Night Vale"? I picked up all the albums, and I'll listen through each of them because I like meandering electronic noise in my ear holes. Earwicker - You should really be licensing some of this music out to indie game folks, if they ever make a Limbo 2 get on that poo poo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

slightpirate posted:

Which Disparition song is the main track played right after "Welcome, to Night Vale"? I picked up all the albums, and I'll listen through each of them because I like meandering electronic noise in my ear holes. Earwicker - You should really be licensing some of this music out to indie game folks, if they ever make a Limbo 2 get on that poo poo.

That's The Ballad of Fiedler and Mundt which is from Neukrk. I am quitting my 9 to 5 corporate job in June and am going to concentrate on music and sound design full time for a while and indie games is definitely an area I want to get into.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Earwicker posted:

That's The Ballad of Fiedler and Mundt which is from Neukrk. I am quitting my 9 to 5 corporate job in June and am going to concentrate on music and sound design full time for a while and indie games is definitely an area I want to get into.

That's great news!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

by the way for anyone who likes that track, Fiedler and Mundt are characters from The Spy Who Came In From the Cold by John LeCarré which is an incredible book and you should read it.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the great podcast. I recommended it to my discordian friend and he loves it as well. I'm all caught up and eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

Like: the weather

Dislike: Steve Carlsberg

Veen
Oct 26, 2003

Just the tip!
I just made it to A Story About You on my lunch break at work. That was amazing. Part of me wants to marathon the rest of these as I drift off to sleep, and part of me wants to pace myself so I don't run out of late night shift listening quite as soon.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I will never get over how cool this is. aaaaaa

https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/323799192566898688

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Veen posted:

I just made it to A Story About You on my lunch break at work. That was amazing. Part of me wants to marathon the rest of these as I drift off to sleep, and part of me wants to pace myself so I don't run out of late night shift listening quite as soon.

I am in the same dilemma, listened to the first one and threw the rest on my mp3 player, my morning commute is just long enough to fit two in on the way to work and same on the way back. Do I make myself only listen to one a day or do I blow through the rest in a week :ohdear:

I admit it didn't grab me immediately, but by the end of the third episode I was hooked.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just finished episode 3 or 4 and I'm digging it so far.

Is there ever any explanation for how this community survives, given the constant mass death?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Lord Dekks posted:

Do I make myself only listen to one a day or do I blow through the rest in a week

Binge through them all. Then listen to them again, and again, and again until they are firmly etched into your subconscious mind and are all you can ever remember. we have just the thing for you and we also have its by-products

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

Is there ever any explanation for how this community survives, given the constant mass death?

Forced spawning/mating/budding.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

I've yet to fully digest this latest episode (the last two I've been using as background noise, which slows down plot absorption to the point that I can listen to an episode and enjoy is meaningfully several times over a week), but I just wanted to give you massive props for how great the show is. And extra special props for introducing me to Dengue Fever.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

showbiz_liz posted:

Constant mass life.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Anniversary posted:

I've yet to fully digest this latest episode (the last two I've been using as background noise, which slows down plot absorption to the point that I can listen to an episode and enjoy is meaningfully several times over a week), but I just wanted to give you massive props for how great the show is. And extra special props for introducing me to Dengue Fever.

Dengue Fever is great. See them live if you can, they put on a good show.

And thanks!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

showbiz_liz posted:

Anchors posted:

Forced spawning/mating/budding.

Xemloth posted:

Constant mass life.

All plausible, but I think 'A Story About You' has the answer to the majority of Night Vale's population.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
The AV Club led me to Night Vale, which led me to this thread. I've caught up now, so the long wait begins. Maybe the purchase of a fine t-shirt will while away the days.

I'm delighted and frightened; my girlfriend is merely delighted. She doesn't fall asleep to the broadcasts. Thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just found out about this a week ago, and devoured every episode. I just wanted to echo the love for "A Story About You" and "Sandstorm". I can't wait for more stuff about Desert Bluff (even though they suck)and their whole stretched-too-wide-smile feel.

I also love how John Peters (you know, the farmer?) is always referred to as "John Peters (you know, the farmer?)".

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I also love how John Peters (you know, the farmer?) is always referred to as "John Peters (you know, the farmer?)".

I'm pretty sure his name is actually John-Peters Yunothepharmer. I think it's Welsh.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Watuhboy posted:

I'm pretty sure his name is actually John-Peters Yunothepharmer. I think it's Welsh.

And he's not even a farmer, he's a cobbler.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Picked up the podcast again after a hiatus. Started yesterday under a full moon with "A Story About You".

I wasn't disappointed.

Cecil can dictate my life any day of the week. :allears:

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
I've been going back and listening to old episodes and it's pretty fun to see how Cecil has evolved the character, he starts out so monotone, like nothing could shock him anymore, you can hardly tell it's the same person.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

I read this thread ages ago and meant to look it up, never got around to it until last night. I was kind of baked and wanted something cool to listen to, and god drat did you guys ever deliver. I have all the episodes available now loaded up, I've listened to two and a half episodes so far. I love the weather, its one of my favorite parts. Waiting For The Bus in the Rain is just a wicked song.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
I was lying on the grass in my garden, staring at the stars and moon, listening to the most recent episode of Welcome to Night Vale, when I saw the lowest flying, largest meteor of my life. It was immense and fiery, and had a long tail. Listening to Cecil as it streaked through the sky was amazing, and made me feel like I, too, was in Night Vale.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Denim Avenger posted:

I've been going back and listening to old episodes and it's pretty fun to see how Cecil has evolved the character, he starts out so monotone, like nothing could shock him anymore, you can hardly tell it's the same person.

Yeah, Cecil has really developed the character. You have to remember that, especially for the first episode, he didn't really know where we were going with the show. His performance has built well on what we've written for his character.

Also, can't get specific yet, but there are some exciting collaborations with people you may have heard of coming up in the second half of 2013.

skypunk
Apr 26, 2007

MY SMILE IS GONE FOR GOOD!
Oh cool, my song is the weather in Episode 22.

I love this show.

NoonOwl
Aug 6, 2004
If I don't think does that mean I don't exist?

AlaskaGrpwn posted:

Oh cool, my song is the weather in Episode 22.

I love this show.

And I just bought it along with the rest of the album. Awesome stuff, man. One of my favorite things about the show is all the new music it's introduced me to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Just listened to all of Welcome to Night Vale. This is awesome

I will totally be donating once I get paid. And I want a shirt.