Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Twee as gently caress posted:

:stare:

Please tell me they are just whining in general, not about this specific kickstarter, because how could you be whining after the team they assembled?! :psyduck:

Let us peer into the abyss together.

Jedit posted:

I didn't back them because they're shitheads cashing in on nostalgia for a great game which they had gently caress all to do with the creation of and which has gently caress all to do with this game.

Wendell posted:

I mainly think it's bizarre that people are throwing so much money at the company that brought us Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

Bieeardo posted:

I also didn't join because I have no faith in Monte Cook's world-building chops. The guy's branded World of Darkness d20 conversion managed to turn the WoD with its PCs as creatures lurking in shadows into a cut-rate modern-day Shadowrun. I trust him with the concepts behind Torment about as much as I do that hack they got as a stretch goal dialogue writer.

And so on.

That said, most of the folks talking about this Kickstarter in that thread are just saying "I want to see how good (or bad) Wasteland 2 is before I hand over any more money," which is a perfectly reasonable opinion.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Ornamented Death posted:

And so on.

:stonk:

quote:

That said, most of the folks talking about this Kickstarter in that thread are just saying "I want to see how good (or bad) Wasteland 2 is before I hand over any more money," which is a perfectly reasonable opinion.

Yeah that's a perfectly acceptable opinion, but with Chris Avellone and those other guys on the staff, how could they say that? :psyduck:

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
They had... gently caress all* to do with.. *head explodes*

And yeah this thread was pretty terrible for the first few pages.

edit: * More like that guy never buys any games period.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 7, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
From the images and what was posted I don't really get the negativity. Sure it may or may not be a great game but it's clearly well aware of its roots and is drawing direct inspirations without slavishly copying which is really what needs to happen. I want these types of games to come back with modern sensibilities to polish out the rough edges.

Also as I've said many times it's only $25 at the lowest non-limited tier. I've paid more for DLC that I knew was only so-so and for games on sale I haven't even played. I make a pretty average wage considering my wife currently doesn't work. Even if the game is mediocre it's hard not to get value out of something like this.

People in general seem to have such strange expectations from their gaming purchases. It's a fun hobby not some life investment.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 7, 2013

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ornamented Death posted:

Jesus why are people so mad about this. There's actually someone suggesting that if Torment 2 was bad then we should all file a class action suit against inxile.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Jesus why are people so mad about this. There's actually someone suggesting that if Torment 2 was bad then we should all file a class action suit against inxile.

Because Goons are idiots. We are a collection of idiots... except us that gave money to the kickstarter because it will be a great game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Twee as gently caress posted:

:stonk:

Yeah that's a perfectly acceptable opinion, but with Chris Avellone and those other guys on the staff, how could they say that? :psyduck:

Because all those guys are writers. And games are, generally, also code and mechanics and systems and UI and graphics and stuff. And that's being handled by the people who brought us Hunted and Bard's Tale. Now, Torment was mostly NPC dialogue, so at its worst, I personally think it's going to be alright. I am actually a little less certain about W2.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
The gameplay preview video for Wasteland 2 looked pretty good. It's actually part of what made me pledge for Torment. I didn't pledge for W2 because I never played the first Wasteland and I wasn't excited enough about W2 to pledge for it, but the video was enough to convince me that InXile probably knows enough about what they're doing to make a decent game. Actually, at this point, I'm glad I'll be getting at least one copy of W2 from another Kickstarter because I'm looking forward to playing it.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

John McCain posted:

The gameplay preview video for Wasteland 2 looked pretty good. It's actually part of what made me pledge for Torment. I didn't pledge for W2 because I never played the first Wasteland and I wasn't excited enough about W2 to pledge for it, but the video was enough to convince me that InXile probably knows enough about what they're doing to make a decent game. Actually, at this point, I'm glad I'll be getting at least one copy of W2 from another Kickstarter because I'm looking forward to playing it.
At this point it's pretty clear that at a minimum we're getting a competent game design and nothing they've said or show makes me think it won't be on the good side. I'm more leery about Shadowrun Returns something about their video just didn't do it for me. I think it was mostly their UI seemed a little clunky, but even that game I'm not going to feel burned for my $20 as it's clearly not just some crappy cash-in.

And really that's what's important when it comes to deciding to donate/pre-order or not. If you trust them and want to see these games just view them as a long term pre-order.

Sadly you know on release day there's going to be tons of people pissed off because it doesn't instantly turn them into 12 year olds again and give them the exact same rush they got when they first booted up Baldur's Gate/Torment.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 7, 2013

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Megazver posted:

Because all those guys are writers. And games are, generally, also code and mechanics and systems and UI and graphics and stuff. And that's being handled by the people who brought us Hunted and Bard's Tale. Now, Torment was mostly NPC dialogue, so at its worst, I personally think it's going to be alright. I am actually a little less certain about W2.

As far as I know neither of those games were buggy or crappy technically, so the point is moot, is it not? Hunted was very generic and bland, yes, but given the fact that we got all the people with thinking caps on Torment I think that's not what anyone should worry about.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah unless Hunted was Saints Row or Elders Scrolls levels of buggy I don't really care if they share the same team. Even so it's a game on a entirely different(smaller) scale.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yeah unless Hunted was Saints Row or Elders Scrolls levels of buggy I don't really care if they share the same team. Even so it's a game on a entirely different(smaller) scale.

I played Hunted on 360 at a friends house a few weeks ago. It didn't seem buggy or broken, it just seemed like a boring psuedo-Gears of War knock-off.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welp, between this Kickstarter and GoG's sale, it seems like I'm ready for some RPG now.

I hope I'm in for a good time, I've never played either of these games!

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Iacen posted:

Welp, between this Kickstarter and GoG's sale, it seems like I'm ready for some RPG now.

I hope I'm in for a good time, I've never played either of these games!

Neverwinter Nights 1 main campaign is crap though from what I hear the Xpacks are much better (never got past the base game myself).

Neverwinter Nights 2 main campaign is a bit of a drag until after you get to Neverwinter city but starts to pick up afterwards. The Xpack is one of the best RPGs outside of Torment so even if you find you can't get over the slog of the beginning of NWN2 you should skip to Mask of the Betrayer.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
If you're going to play NWN1, skip the original campaign and start a fresh level one character in Shadows of Undrentide, this will lead you straight into Hordes of the Underdark.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
NWN was such a massive letdown when it was released. Coming from BG2, you expected this massive RPG with awesome battles and an interesting story. And then you had to crawl through that lovely campaign. It felt like a cruel joke. I remember when my character killed a dragon by simply auto-attacking it with a dagger. He didn't even have to move, he didn't use any spells either. He just stood there, and stabbed the dragon to death, while chucking a couple of health potions. Ugh.

Hordes of the Underdark was really awesome though.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
HoTU is a bit obtuse though, if you've never played epic level D&D. The prerequisites for the prestige classes can be a bit strange and you can gimp yourself quite easily if you don't plan your character progression from the outset. The campaign is fun but do spend time planning your character before you begin or you may find yourself locked out of a particular progression path.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

New update on Kickstarter : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/446717

Looks like if they get enough money through Paypal to reach 4.5 mil by the end of April they'll make the stronghold.

Personally, I'm more interested in the 'Bigger Game' part of that stretch goal, but i suppose it's implied that's in as well.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 7, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

Jackard posted:

If you're going to play NWN1, skip the original campaign and start a fresh level one character in Shadows of Undrentide, this will lead you straight into Hordes of the Underdark.

This. Also make sure to plan ahead for a prestige class (more so for non-full-caster characters) because you can get boned out of those prerequisites pretty easily.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Technically, I've already had most of the game spoiled for me already. (Seriously, read that, it's fantastic.)

Pro-click right here. I don't even really like LPs, but this is absolutely fantastic.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Darkhold posted:

Neverwinter Nights 1 main campaign is crap though from what I hear the Xpacks are much better (never got past the base game myself).

Haha, it turns out I could have saved those few bucks, as I had a dig around and found this box:

It has 8 different games and their expansion packs. If I can get them to run on Windows 7, I'll probably have something to do until the Numenara release...

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Hunted is competently built and relatively free of bugs, certainly nothing too horrible or noticeable. The problem is that it's not really particularly ambitious or unique, just a fantasy version of Gears of War with a few writing charms here and there [the banter between the two main characters is fairly amusing most of the time]. I've had fun playing it, so whatever.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Great Rumbler posted:

Hunted is competently built and relatively free of bugs, certainly nothing too horrible or noticeable. The problem is that it's not really particularly ambitious or unique, just a fantasy version of Gears of War with a few writing charms here and there [the banter between the two main characters is fairly amusing most of the time]. I've had fun playing it, so whatever.

Yeah, I wasn't around at the time so I don't really *know*, but Hunted kinda feels like one of those products that was more about the bottom line than great ideas. I can't say I get the sense from my co-workers they remember it too fondly. It's not even mentioned on the inXile projects page, heh. Choplifter HD? gently caress yeh! Hunted? Never heard of it >_<

Anyway, inXile has some history of releasing polished products in a very timely fashion. And it's not like they went into Wasteland 2 and Torment with an attitude of "our current creative talent level is sufficient"; that's why they added Jason D Anderson (of Fallout and Troika fame) for the initial Wasteland 2 pitching, and guys like Chris Avellone, Colin McComb, Stackpole/St Andre/Pavlish and Nathan Long for Wasteland 2. Kevin Saunders is the project lead for Torment and he wasn't around before. I'd call it a serious talent upgrade on the creative side, while also maintaining the programmers and art teams that did a good job on their previous titles. Well, the art team has had an infusion in talent too on the concept art side. Plus there's always a little cycling of talent in this industry. So yeah.

Iacen posted:

Haha, it turns out I could have saved those few bucks, as I had a dig around and found this

I've been meaning to get that box. I'm not much of a gamer collector other than a bunch of Fallout memorabilia, but I think it'd fit well into my collection.

Brother None fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 7, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Jack's Flow posted:

NWN was such a massive letdown when it was released. Coming from BG2, you expected this massive RPG with awesome battles and an interesting story. And then you had to crawl through that lovely campaign. It felt like a cruel joke. I remember when my character killed a dragon by simply auto-attacking it with a dagger. He didn't even have to move, he didn't use any spells either. He just stood there, and stabbed the dragon to death, while chucking a couple of health potions. Ugh.

Hordes of the Underdark was really awesome though.
What I thought was totally inexplicable is when Neverwinter Nights 2 came out there was a lot of backlash that it 'wasn't as good' as Neverwinter Nights 1. I can only conclude people were remembering the Xpacks as NWN2 base game was vastly better. Even Act 1 NWN2 was better than Acts 1/2 of NWN1 (end of act 2 I hit a bug that stopped me from progressing at that point I had tried to play through the game about 6 different times and all my other playthroughs ended in act 1 because I couldn't get over how dull everything was). Maybe it became super awesome past that point but I never saw it.

Compared to NWN2 as there are entire sections which do turn into slogs but I always wanted to see the rest of the story. The crime/law quests in Neverwinter City were enjoyable and the trial was a blast. I always wanted to keep going. I've probably put hundreds of hours into NWN2 even without Mask of the Betrayer

I guess I should have expected it but I was still pretty new to the internet phenomenon of hating every sequel on sight the only other game I had seen that level of hate was Alpha Centuri which is of course now a beloved classic that keeps being brought up with people dying for a remake.

vvv No doubt that was part of it. But I mostly remember people saying the henchmen were better than your companions :psyduck: the story was cliqued and bad (kinda true but no worse than NWN1) complaints about bugs (also true but one again no worse than release NWN1) and on and on nitpicking everything while ignoring all the originals faults...which now that I think about it was in turn totally panned for not being another Baldur's Gate (though in that case I totally agreed).

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 7, 2013

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I thought part of the backlash was because the tools to create your own campaign weren't anywhere near as good as the first NWN.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I thought part of the backlash was because the tools to create your own campaign weren't anywhere near as good as the first NWN.

I heard that it wasn't because they were worse, but just harder to use.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Darkhold posted:

What I thought was totally inexplicable is when Neverwinter Nights 2 came out there was a lot of backlash that it 'wasn't as good' as Neverwinter Nights 1. I can only conclude people were remembering the Xpacks as NWN2 base game was vastly better.
I think the big concern for these people was that people would stop making custom content for NWN1 and move on to NWN2.
After NWN2 was released it turned out that those worries were unnecessary (as mentioned: making a module for NWN2 took a lot more time and effort), but that didn't stop some NWN1 fans from still seeing NWN2's very existance as an insult and never stop bitching about it right up until the old Bioware forums went down.

It was very silly.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yeah, the whole point of NWN1 was to be a build-your-own D&D adventure toolkit. The campaign that shipped with it was more of a stretched-out tech demo than an actual game. The mod community, though, was huge, vocal, and put out some pretty awesome stuff. When NWN2 came out and had a much bigger focus on the in-the-box single player at the expense of polished, bug-free construction tools, they kinda got backlashy.

Also, who the hell hated Alpha Centauri?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Space Gopher posted:

Also, who the hell hated Alpha Centauri?
People on the Firaxis Forums. There was one guy that was really amazing he'd write these 2,000 word dissertations cataloguing every bug and every exploit that he must have spent hundreds of hours to find and conclude how the game was a failure on every single possible level. Of course if anyone pointed out why he kept playing it if it was so useless he had 'quit and uninstalled it weeks ago'. If you've ever been to the World of Warcraft forums and seen huge theory posts by spergs you've seen this guy. It was quite an uproar when he was finally banned with people swearing they'd leave the forum and begin their own AC board (that'll show those corporate suits at Firaxis!)

A very very very vocal minority did nothing but complain that AC wasn't exactly how they envisioned Civilization 2 in space.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
It's true - it wasn't how I'd envisioned Civ 2 in space. It was a lot better and had interesting politics added. Those sperg theories are the only reasons to read the WoW boards ever, also :)

Also, it's worth getting that gog pack for the various community mods and patches that are also linked there, or so you can now sell your 'must-be-worth-$500' box set on ebay.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roobanguy posted:

I heard that it wasn't because they were worse, but just harder to use.

That's also pretty :psyduck:. The NWN2 companions didn't exactly have great AI, but you can't even really compare them to the original's henchmen, which you couldn't even manually control.

EDIT: Whelp, I just combined two similar but yet obviously distinct conversations into one somehow. Ignore me, everyone!

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 7, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Crotch posted:

That's also pretty :psyduck:. The NWN2 companions didn't exactly have great AI, but you can't even really compare them to the original's henchmen, which you couldn't even manually control.

They're talking about the toolsets used to create campaigns, not companion AI. NWN 1's were much easier to use.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The NWN1 toolset was actually pretty good and very well understood (more importantly) by the time NWN2 came out, the toolset of which was not nearly as usable at the time as NWN1's. People moving from one to the other found it much more difficult than they expected. I remember that creating outdoor environments in particular was a challenge for a long time. NWN1 put more resources into the toolset, for which the campaign suffered, and NWN2... was something, then the put resources into fixing what it was, then into the campaign, then into the publicly usable toolset.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
Saunders did a quite impressive work in Mask of the Betrayer. Also, the long pre-production period will allow them to think ahead, avoiding something unexpected. That said, there will be always unexpected things even if the possibility is reduced. Furthermore, some design decisions such as the spirit meter may end up with some unhappy players. So, I'd like the team to make full use of volunteered alpha/beta players, which would not only help with bug-fixing but avoid hard-landing when the players find something undesired, over-looked by the development team. InXile openly told that they are going to use all the money but it would be suitable for them to keep some of it for bug-fixing and some unexpected cost.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Iacen posted:

Haha, it turns out I could have saved those few bucks, as I had a dig around and found this box:

It has 8 different games and their expansion packs. If I can get them to run on Windows 7, I'll probably have something to do until the Numenara release...
You can sell that sucker for 150 on Amazon (US market).

The neverwinter-only one is almost as expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Neverwinter-Complete-Collection-Pc/dp/B005JQ05RS

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Neverwinter Nights 1 was my first CRPG, so I actually had a lot of fun with it. I had come from JRPG's, so I was pretty star struck with the character creation and conversation choices. "You can play as a female character! And you can choose what to say! You can even be evil if the NPC's are annoying!" Sure, the plot was terrible, but I was only 17 and had lower standards; it was funny in a B-movie kind of way, what with all the "twists", and the completely insane direction it went in the ending.

Now that's it's been some years, and I've played lots of other crpg's since then, I've been wondering what it would be like if I went back and played it again. I'm tempted, it would probably be really bad in a hilarious way.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
NWN1's campaign was fantastic or the simple reason I could play a simpleton character and say ridiculous things. None of the expansions had that and so I didn't really play them all too much, because the dialogue and plots were just too standard CRPG stuff. Except for Deekin. Deekin and his master were great.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 8, 2013

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
I'm about to start my first playthrough of Planescape: Torment. Anything I should know going in?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

GeauxSteve posted:

I'm about to start my first playthrough of Planescape: Torment. Anything I should know going in?

Get a trainer and hack all your stats (or at least wisdom and intelligence) to a million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Get a trainer and hack all your stats (or at least wisdom and intelligence) to a million.

Interesting. Anything else? Are there any mods or anything I should get? I got it off GOG.

• Locked thread