Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alienwarez
Feb 9, 2004

I don't know what the thread's opinion on livebloggers is, but if you want to know how an engaged archival reader might react to John's retcon arms, check out LOBAC's latest post (near the bottom).

This is the first time she's seen a panel that has one of John's arms since Hussie added them in. I'm not sure if it'd get a better reaction out of her if Hussie left the arms in or removed them after she's seen one or two more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I might be wrong but I think this is the first time (aside from one example I'll get to later) Hussie has done this sort of direct-talking to the character in the narration when Hussie himself wasn't present and wasn't talking to Caliborn. Rather than the usual narration of a story this sequence sort of gives the impression that Hussie is sort of talking to all the characters in the story, it's just none of them have been able to actually perceive him before aside from Caliborn and now Vriska. And maybe Doc Scratch, I dunno.

The only other time I can recall that happening is here which I always thought had a vaguely sinister air about it. Given his joy in snuffing out the lives of those in his story, I think we know who the even-bigger-bad-guy is in regards to Caliborn.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Alienwarez posted:

I don't know what the thread's opinion on livebloggers is, but if you want to know how an engaged archival reader might react to John's retcon arms, check out LOBAC's latest post (near the bottom).

This is the first time she's seen a panel that has one of John's arms since Hussie added them in. I'm not sure if it'd get a better reaction out of her if Hussie left the arms in or removed them after she's seen one or two more of them.

Ahahaha, I really hope he leaves the arms in, just for first time readers.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alienwarez posted:

I was coming here to post this.

Oh man, I just realized, if he keeps them in this is going to wind up being like Jack's Bloody Arm, but way longer running, for archive readers. And the payoff when the big reveal hits will be fantastic.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

What was "Jack's Bloody Arm" about?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Goddamn posted:

I think -- and this might sound crazy-- it was about Jack's bloody arm.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Goddamn posted:

Before Cascade finally let us know how Jack got the blood on his arm, there was rampant speculation.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ablative posted:

I think -- and this might sound crazy-- it was about Jack's bloody arm.

More helpfully, it was about the fact that in every appearance Bec Noir made after the Scratch (i.e. whenever we saw him in the troll session) his arm was drenched in red blood, and all the communities for the comic were desperately trying to figure out whose it was. As an archival reader though, I didn't particularly notice it as some huge mystery that needed solving.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Triskelli posted:

More helpfully, it was about the fact that in every appearance Bec Noir made after the Scratch (i.e. whenever we saw him in the troll session) his arm was drenched in red blood, and all the communities for the comic were desperately trying to figure out whose it was. As an archival reader though, I didn't particularly notice it as some huge mystery that needed solving.
Same here. I caught up to Homestuck right before [S] Seer: Descend and I always figured the blood covered arm was Jack's. As for who's blood it was I don't think it ever mattered.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

lotus circle posted:

Same here. I caught up to Homestuck right before [S] Seer: Descend and I always figured the blood covered arm was Jack's. As for who's blood it was I don't think it ever mattered.

How dare you speak that way about the mayor.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

But see, at the time, he didn't know it was the mayor's, so it seemed less important.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Ablative posted:

But see, at the time, he didn't know it was the mayor's, so it seemed less important.

What this dude said. I love the Mayor, don't you ever question me again. :smith:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
loving
Slick for Best Character 2013.
:allears: I cant wait to see Ms Paint's dress. Something tells m- wait no we know its going to be the 3AM dress. Oh well who cares! :woop:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

:syoon:

THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME

And Ms. Paint is gonna be the BEST snowman you have no idea.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Best update in the entire comic. Homestuck could end next panel and I would be satisfied.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Zeruel posted:

loving
Slick for Best Character 2013.
:allears: I cant wait to see Ms Paint's dress. Something tells m- wait no we know its going to be the 3AM dress. Oh well who cares! :woop:

We've seen it before.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Looks like The Felt is under new loving mangement. :clint:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So the cuestaff is what lets you push the Felt around, I guess?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Huh. So now pulling out the pins makes everyone come back to life before you? Didn't it have to do with going to different timelines where they were alive and dead?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

lotus circle posted:

Huh. So now pulling out the pins makes everyone come back to life before you? Didn't it have to do with going to different timelines where they were alive and dead?

Well, when you exist outside the timeline of the comic, you have to make a few exceptions.

EDIT: PLEASE tell me Die still has those pins for the rest of the Crew. That would be the only thing that could make this update any better, honestly.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Tunicate posted:

But for that to work, you'd need Doc Scratch to give the orders.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ohhh my gooosh Spades Slick and the Felt and Ms. Paint as a team!? It's everything I never knew I always wanted.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

quote:

She says brb.

I like this line.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If we get to see Slick and Ms. Paint leading the Felt, everything lackluster about the comic will be redeemed right here, right now.

Slick. :allears:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, it took this update to make me realize exactly what Caliborn's personality has to do with Lord English. He really is a huge manchild. Everytime he finds a newer, shinier "toy", he discards the old one without a second thought. Like he discard his Sucker for Lil' Cal, and now how he discarded his command staff / rifle for the reality-destroying Wand. He's really just leaving a huge mess all over time as he jumps around.

Part of defeating Lord English is scavenging all the tools he has thrown away. To clean up after him. Or as the Maid of Time put it:

quote:

ARADIA: while he rounds the ring undoing the work of the gods we must prepare for his undoing as well
ARADIA: to ready the manor for the lords arrival so to speak :)

quote:

AA: time is like a game
AA: just one fun game in realitys cupboard which is full of them
AA: but when all the games are back in the cupboard everyone is about the same

It's time to pick up the playroom. To put away all the toys, to clean up all the messes. It's time to defeat Lord English.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 8, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Ammat The Ankh posted:

If this means Doc Scratch will come back into the comic then I say we can unanimously call this the best intermission in all of Homestuck.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It looks like Spades Slick just made her a member of the Midnight Crew.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Dolash posted:

It looks like Spades Slick just made her a member of the Midnight Crew.

gently caress you pal I was just about to make this post :mad:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Cans is totally sizing Slick up. He is a brawny man/leprechaun, but his mind is calculating.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Don't get me wrong I love where this is going, but I will still miss Droog, Deuce and Boxcars. Maybe if I wish for it really hard, they too will come back in the next update.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Oh man, I hope they get ready to strike a pose. Cause poo poo's starting to get real, but I need confirmation whether it's reached that point or not.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Blackheart posted:

Don't get me wrong I love where this is going, but I will still miss Droog, Deuce and Boxcars. Maybe if I wish for it really hard, they too will come back in the next update.

Seriously. Hopefully Die was able to hang onto those special pins he made for the Crew, because resurrecting the entire Crew is the only way this update can get any better.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Triskelli posted:

Seriously. Hopefully Die was able to hang onto those special pins he made for the Crew, because resurrecting the entire Crew is the only way this update can get any better.
Wouldn't that require putting in the pin and then taking it out again? But if he puts the pin in then he jumps to a timeline where everyone is dead.

Man who even knows how the gently caress this doll works anymore. Why am I even debating it. poo poo, get the rest of the MC back as well!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Oh my this is the best thing to wake up to. Slick in charge of a group of cronies with time powers? Yeah, this is gonna be awesome.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Unrelated, but I got my Snoutpak in the mail today!!
I don't like my OTP :saddowns:
Its Dirk/Eridan

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Huh? Why is that?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

As excited as we all are for Slick, I guess this proves the Felt really have no loyalties one way or another.

(Source)

EDIT:

David Copperfield posted:

Huh? Why is that?

Because you use the cueball staff to command the cueball (Scratch) to direct the rest of the colored balls (the Felt)

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

David Copperfield posted:

Huh? Why is that?

The staff is a pool cue.
Doc Scratch is a cue ball.
The Felt are pool balls.
It is a pool metaphor.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A recent-update themed TF2 spray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am in full agreement with this development. In fact I can see no way in which this will be a bad idea at all.