Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

Got the most powerful engine $250 can buy.

It doesn't look like a knockoff Honda stationary motor. So what is it?

e: Forgot to say what I did.

re-glued the stupid padded pad for the padded armrest that the car has. other trim levels don't have it. It's one of those leather for the sake of it things. Can't go without because there are screws poking out of the armrest. How they installed it in the first place is a mystery to me.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

General_Failure posted:

It doesn't look like a knockoff Honda stationary motor. So what is it?

e: Forgot to say what I did.

re-glued the stupid padded pad for the padded armrest that the car has. other trim levels don't have it. It's one of those leather for the sake of it things. Can't go without because there are screws poking out of the armrest. How they installed it in the first place is a mystery to me.

AMC 2.5l I4. A whopping 120hp.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

DoLittle posted:

Yes, the big red thing is a 30mm anti-roll/sway bar and the "coat hanger wire" is a tender/helper spring to take up slack on extension. The springs are held together by a spacer between the springs and spring preload.

The front suspension of the so-called transaxle Alfas uses double wishbones and longitudal torsion bars.
http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwiki/65/Alfetta_front_suspension.jpg

On my car the coil-overs are in addition to the stock torsion bars (adjustable for height). Under static load the helper spring is almost fully compressed, but the load is carried by the torsion bars. The stiffer coilover springs load up after a few mm compression.

The rear suspension is also a bit unusual: dedion, Watt's link, inboard brakes and a transaxle.
http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwiki/65/Alfa_Transaxle.jpg

thanks for the pics, always cool to see torsion bars

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

AMC 2.5l I4. A whopping 120hp.

That explains why I had no idea what it was. Well, on friday I'll be picking up a new ride with a thumping 74.5 ponies from the factory. I suspect about 60 have escaped but on my brief visit of the car I saw a few interesting adjustments and bodges that will take me all of a few minutes to fix.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Capslock Holmes posted:

Changed oil on the wife's 4runner and also the air filter. The PO had a K&N in there that was filthy as hell.

Edit: they put the oil filter in a really obnoxious spot too.

Is it like the Tundras where they stick it up the side of the block, and then cover it with an approximately 7 ton rock guard?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Fucknag posted:

Is it like the Tundras where they stick it up the side of the block, and then cover it with an approximately 7 ton rock guard?

There's a skid plate you have to remove, yeah. Here's a picture (not mine)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yup, done plenty of those myself. I much prefer the Tacoma setup, filter's up top next to the filler cap, oil drains down into a capped funnel. Just remove the cap and stick a bottle underneath when you unscrew the filter, convenient as hell.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Swapped out the useless basic gauge cluster on my '95 Cherokee with a full-gauges cluster.

No wiring to change - the cluster just plugs in - but you do have to change out the oil pressure and temp senders for the gauge versions. Of course, the temp sender didn't want to cooperate:

At least it came out easy (no pun intended.)

And then:

That's the oil pressure sender and the right-angle adapter it mounts to.

That's where it goes, which is under the AC compressor and hoses. Also, the giant gently caress-off motor mount is in the way of a straight shot at the hole, and therefore the remains of the adapter, which is why the stupid sender doesn't just stick out of the side of the block in the first place.
After a couple hours of removing the motor mount, which involved also removing the alternator, during which I may have intimated that Jeep/Chrysler engineers could all eat a bag of dicks, I got the freaking stub out:

It also came out easy, at least.
New senders went back in with no problem.
Motor mount went back in fairly easily, once I remembered I had an air ratchet (limited wrench swinging room in there.) Pissed I didn't remember that to take it out...

Changed the oil, oil filter (got rid of the Fram the PO used,)spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. The #1 spark plug on the 2.5L is annoying but not ridiculous:

Also swapped in a tilt steering column with a good airbag.

And just for good measure, I helped a kid from our local RX-7 club install a new stereo in his very clean '79 RX-7.
This weekend about wore me out.

After all that, the oil pressure gauge on the new cluster is not working. It's pointing straight to the right, and remains the same with the sender unplugged. either a problem with the wiring or the gauge, I guess.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Capslock Holmes posted:

They also put the starter under the intake manifold. Not as common a replacement, but still a pain in the dick.

Today i test-plastidiped one of my summer wheels, it went well, now just to do the rest. I also brought the subaru home and cleaned out a god drat mouse nest from the trunk.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Brought it to the insurance estimator, $2k in damages! :toot:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

So...pocket 2k cash and drill and zip tie it. That looks like the most insignificant damage for that estimate.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

I think I've put all the patches on this one that it can take. I know this isn't more than 6 or 7 Sockingtons of rust, but I'm not good enough to weld to rust. The exhaust has just kinda been wafting out of the wheel well.

I put my passenger's side window down a couple of days ago and it stopped moving entirely at about 3/4 of the way up so I'm also re-flowing the solder on some Lucas poo poo (window lift ECU).

Ahhh Rover poo poo.

I don't have any photos of the process, but refer to other posts. I put the struts on in the caddy, replaced the sway bar links, and the sway bar bushings (it was easy, the bushing was only 20 bucks for both sides), and took it in for an alignment.

Its done. The Seville STS saga is over. Other than a few touch up items, a good clean, and a polish wax (get that dead paint back and sparkling) and post it on craigslist.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Capslock Holmes posted:

There is a pretty awesome access hatch through the driver side wheel well.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Larrymer posted:

So...pocket 2k cash and drill and zip tie it. That looks like the most insignificant damage for that estimate.

I recon the big puddle of what looks like coolant might have a bit to do with the 2K quote.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I really don't think that's coolant.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Nothing, but the inductive timing light arrived today. Hooray a big boy tool!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Got the water pump installed, still need to fill and burp it and check for leaks but I ran out of daylight so it'll have to wait for tomorrow. Turns out I bought clutch removal tool for nothing, on my truck the fan's held on by the pulley nuts alone. Ah well, it's an Autozone tool so I can return it for full refund.\

E: Also made some progress on the Mazda, got one axle nut off the other day. The driver's side just spun the wheel even with brakes fully applied, so it's soaking in PB blaster for a couple days. Is there any trick to getting the ball joints apart? I've got the pinch nut fully loosened on the LCA, between a prybar and a tie rod separator I had lying around I've got it to slide out maaaaybe 1/16 inch. Usually once the taper's broken they pop right out, but mine's being stubborn.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 9, 2013

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Larrymer posted:

If I could I would. New bumper cover, fender and washer fluid tank for sure plus paint, prep and taxes.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
It finally got some dyno time. 110kw increase at the wheels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40pUJMpoQFI

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I completely failed at bleeding the brakes. Both front wheels would not give up a drop of fluid. Since the hoses leaked all over when I took them off, I'm guessing the cylinders need to be rebuilt/replaced.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I spent most of the day wishing I was as good at sheetmetal fab as kevbarlas while fabricating 91 toyota hilux patch panels out of 16ga steel sheet and booger welds. It came out almost factory looking... after a coat of body filler anyways.

Darchangel posted:

sender swapping horror

After all that, the oil pressure gauge on the new cluster is not working. It's pointing straight to the right, and remains the same with the sender unplugged. either a problem with the wiring or the gauge, I guess.

How the hell did you break BOTH of those? Your luck is the worst... I have never broken either and I've probably done a half dozen of each. At least they are both NPT threaded and therefore not much of a fight for an ez-out once they start turning.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Blew HGs and lost 90% of the oil and atf in the Jimmy. Then after telling the jeep salesman i didn't want to buy a new one, spent $77 on bolts for the YJ.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Old summer tires were worn to hell so I had my shop install a new set of Michelin Energy Savers on my Saab 9-3. Not very sporty, I know, but then I'm also paying European fuel prices. Try to ignore the rusty-rear end caliper.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Poisonlizard posted:

You can't just say that and not share.

Nothing special. 2006 Cobalt SS/SC. FE5 (Cobalt SS/TC) struts and shocks, Pedders 1.5" lowering springs and a 3" ZZP intake with a huge gently caress-off K&N air filter.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

FINALLY my cooling system is in good shape! Put it all back together this morning, after a 10 mile highway round-trip test drive the hoses are holding pressure like never before, and there's not a single fresh drip of coolant where I parked. :woop:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Nothing special. 2006 Cobalt SS/SC. FE5 (Cobalt SS/TC) struts and shocks, Pedders 1.5" lowering springs and a 3" ZZP intake with a huge gently caress-off K&N air filter.

I think he may have been asking about the "Finally found a good way to clean these:" part.

Adonis
Oct 15, 2004
Greek gods almighty!

Picked up and installed some forged Mazda RX8 wheels.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Checked all the fluids on the Forester and did a quick check of the front end to get ready for rallycross this weekend, cant wait!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

How the hell did you break BOTH of those? Your luck is the worst... I have never broken either and I've probably done a half dozen of each. At least they are both NPT threaded and therefore not much of a fight for an ez-out once they start turning.

I have no idea. I put a socket on the temp sender and applied gentle pressure to the ratchet. I didn't just suddenly put 110 lb.ft on it. drat thing just slowly twisted off. It may have already had a fracture - the stub was filled with oil.
The oil pressure sender was TIGHT. I had to give it some grunt to get it out with the right-angle adapter clamped in the bench vise. Fortunately, the stub of the adapter wasn't all that tight. It had actually shifted a bit before it broke, trying to unscrew there rather than let the sender go.
Hopefully, I can figure out what's wrong with the oil pressure gauge. If it points all the way to the right (past the highest pressure,)does that mean a short, or an open in the wire?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm honestly not sure. If you unplug the sender, does it stay the same or move to the other end of the scale? How about if you test-wire the lead for the sender to ground?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I tried the inductive timing light. It works. But damned if I could see anything more than rust and crud on the crank pulley though.

Currently I have the car running with some of the metal filing and clear liquid style cooling system stop leak. Everything needs to be replaced including the welch plugs, and that involves an engine pull. Not only I can't do it on a daily driver, I no longer have access to a hoist. It only needs to last a few thousand km anyway.

e: finished the stop leak / coolant shuffle. No leaks. That should have bought me some time. I prefer that gunk over the cornflower suspension looking poo poo any day. Really I'd prefer not to use it at all but I'm in a bit of a bind.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 10, 2013

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Not that, how did you clean them? I'm dreading keeping the stitching clean on mine.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Blue Coral Upholstery Cleaner and lots and lots of rags.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Installed my newly plasti-dipped summers.

I'm painting the grille/shell right now, but it's not going well. possibly due to the cold/humidity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

I'm painting the grille/shell right now, but it's not going well. possibly due to the cold/humidity.

Looks good! I can't decide what color to go with but I'm definitely dipping the whole car this summer.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Doing them and the beige trim in black, i hope.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Looks good! I can't decide what color to go with but I'm definitely dipping the whole car this summer.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip_Blaze Doit!

Ozmiander posted:

Doing them and the beige trim in black, i hope.

I was considering it, For now the shell is going green and the grill going beige. This summer i might cover all the beige in black bedliner, as the front and rear bumpers are starting to chip and rust.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seriously tempted by that blue man.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I was going to paint my winters orange just for the hell of it, that makes that even easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Rhyno posted:

Seriously tempted by that blue man.

I'm thinking of doing the Mini in this blue