Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I didn't have FRAPS up and I don't know the screenshot key, but I made a Thatcher joke in Uncharted Waters Online tonight and by the end of my baiting I had multiple people calling Nelson Mandela an evil terrorist. Oh politics in MMOs, will you ever fail to entertain?

Wushu goons baited a dude into public Hitler advocacy.

No, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Tulip posted:

Wushu goons baited a dude into public Hitler advocacy.

No, really.

Rather uninspired, also he is clearly facetious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We've got many more pages of detailed hitler worship there. It's the worst.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Rather uninspired, also he is clearly facetious.

The bad news is that that comment didn't need to be baited. The worse news is I am positive that that person was 100% serious. That's just chat in the Emei school, because a school dedicated to chaste little girls in pink clothing really sings to a certain kind of creep.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shalhavet posted:

This is the N menu. Notice the other seven tabs. If you like poopsocking you do the spying missions to get exp capped for the day and then go batshit nuts on the mining/gathering nodes because ThirdWorldReggin and the other crafters need all of the materials forever and ever, amen. Then you can join a gigantic blob of partially drunk goons to go steamroll a kung-fu school and steal their kung fu.

Are there more fun griefing stories? I'm becoming intrigued by this MMO

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Are there more fun griefing stories? I'm becoming intrigued by this MMO

You can start on page 286 of this thread, with this post. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=286#post411910357

Just keep going forward from there. There might also be more before that page, but I haven't checked.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I'd point out we're nearing 25 pages worth of predominately Wushu stories. Lest anyone be concerned about the griefing potential in this game, as best as I can tell only SS13 comes close (still the reigning champ, with EVE as runner up) in terms of density of griefs.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Age of Wushu is a game where one of the schools has a literal volcano in the center of it. This is also a game where probably a dozen pushes and pulls exist and can be used on whoever you want. Also a game where you don't get any infamy if you were to just, say, happen to "accidentally" throw someone into a volcano and they just happen to "accidentally" burn to death.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 9, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't like it when people go into games like Dota 2 with the intention to grief. You basically sentence your entire team to failure for no real reason, and the grief usually isn't very fun in the first place, so you're probably just wasting everyone's time. But I do hold one exception: you come in, be loving useless and start abusing me when I'm trying my best and usually doing moderately well? I devise retaliatory measures.

It started when someone started berating me for feeding. This was sort of happening, but it was in no way my fault (I believe it was due to the fact my laning partner had gone somewhere else for no reason). Now the important part here is that he was playing Riki, a hero whose big skill is that he's permanently invisible; understandably this makes him really good at roaming, but this guy had fallen for the newbie Riki trap of doing absolutely nothing, just watching battles take place without taking part in them (TF2 players might remember this as a lovely thing for Spies to do). This meant he had no stats on the board; no deaths, sure, but no kills or assists either, and his lane wasn't going so well because of his refusal to take part.

So, annoyed at the fact the guy who refused to stick his neck out for any reason was trying to scold me, I did the first thing that came to mind: I started negotiating. If my enemies let me live, I would give them constant updates on Riki's position.

Not all of them took me up on this, but Riki finally got some numbers on the board afterwards. I don't believe he was happy about which numbers they were, though.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Age of Wushu is also a game where you can instantly drop your health to the one hit kill range if you took the right starting story, get one shotted by a someone, thus enabling you to put them on your enemies list and earning them infamay, get a few of your best goon buddy constables together and then, drop a bounty large enough to put that player in jail for 5 hours and instantly kill them via goon constable swarm.

When I say 5 hours I mean that they have to spend that entire time logged into the game sitting in a tiny jail cell with only goons cheering outside their cell for company. Also since a goon constable got the bounty you can just have them send you the money right back and keep the cycle going perpetually.

Inversely you can also just slaughter players until someone throws a big bounty on your head, call up a goon constable and have them kill you to collect it, split the bounty, pm the player that bountied you to tell him thanks for all the money while you laugh your way to the bank, and then just jump on one of your alts since they cost nothing and take little effort to make, and do it all again.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

-Zydeco- posted:

When I say 5 hours I mean that they have to spend that entire time logged into the game sitting in a tiny jail cell with only goons cheering outside their cell for company. Also since a goon constable got the bounty you can just have them send you the money right back and keep the cycle going perpetually.

This, seriously. Goons use the pride and stupidity of rival guilds to trick them into getting jailed for so long they miss major events. I thought it was just a shot in the dark when they were trying to trick one of the high-ranking members of our biggest competitors into missing the events again.

It was just a magical moment when one triumphant voice actually announced to Mumble; "We've done it, Airys is in jail!"

Teratrain fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 9, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just imagine the Wushu mumble being a cacophony of various noises of goons talking over each other and being loud.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
The main channel can get a bit loud at times but whenever we're doing anything interesting we usually splinter off into a different channel. People are also pretty good at taking turns to speak.

(I'm pretty bad for it myself I think.) :3:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Enallyniv posted:

It was just a magical moment when one triumphant voice actually announced to Mumble; "We've done it, Airys is in jail!"

For reference, this happens about twice a week. Airys is an endless font of grief and stupidity.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Len posted:

I just imagine the Wushu mumble being a cacophony of various noises of goons talking over each other and being loud.

You mean a choir of voices singing 'I'll Make A Man Out Of You' at the behest of our glorious leader (this happened).

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
On the topic of Wushu, grief and stupidity I annotated a wall of text tale of murder and autism to be understandable by non-players;

quote:

Over the last couple of days I've had some run-ins with Mr.Juing, a very, very angry lowbie.

To clarify, Team Practice or "TP" is a collaborative levelling activity where 10 players get together once a day and dance to level their skills. Attacking a player while they dance instantly removes them from the group. Running a TP with fewer than 10 players drastically reduces the reward. Thus, breaking a TP is pretty much an unforgivable war crime in this game full of human trafficking and an attempted rape in a prominent instance.

Missing your keypresses in a TP also massively aggravates people and often results in ritual sacrifice afterwards.

It started with him making some off-hand comments in a TP about one a goon using a female character - basically he was being a bit creepy, saying that he'd kidnap her and sell her to me, poo poo like that. I told him he should probably stop being a creep. This did not fly, and he promptly started yelling at me and threatening myself and a random guy who had also piped in to tell him to shut up. This led to him attacking the other guy, who was in another TP. People would go on to write stories of the noble Xiaotrain as he crushed the depraved and murderous TP breaker underfoot.

Naturally, the angry PMs flowed. I didn't bother to screencap anything, mainly because of the sheer volume of angry PMs. The guy went full bipolar on me, threatening to murder me one minute then whining that he hates his life and wants to die the next. I honestly started to feel a bit sorry for him, but as soon as he broke down he started flipping out and yelling again. He seriously kept going until I had to go to bed.

Infamy exists to discourage random slaughter in the open PvP world. An unwarranted murder garners approx. 400 infamy, which ticks down over time. After 2000 infamy, your next death will put you in jail for a maximum of several hours. After 8000 (I think?) infamy, your next death puts you on death row which culminates in beheading (a crippling 24-hour debuff).

The next day I found out that he'd apparently gone on a killing spree after I'd gone to bed, ending up with something like 4000 infamy and a good few hours in jail (and as a newbie, not enough bank to gamble his way out). I paid him a visit and ended up sitting there for more than an hour just chatting with the inmates and laughing at him as he got progressively angrier and angrier at everyone that didn't immediately express a desire to kill me IRL. He eventually claimed he had some guildmates coming to break him out - despite the fact that he was unguilded and not on death row, thus unrescuable. On cue, some people from the Top Shottas showed up. I explained that he broke a TP yesterday and that he'd been killing people from his own school. One of his rescuers turned and left, calling him scum, and the other stayed around to make fun of him for a bit. He exploded with impotent rage and claimed he'd been arranging to join a guild so they can help get his revenge on me.

I passed him today at Tang Falls. He joined Shinobi. :downsbravo:

Shinobi are our closest allies in the game. They're incredibly like-minded and thus we're able to maintain a "frenemy" relationship with them, wherein no tears are shed if we decide to randomly murder each other in the world.

There was a bit of commotion after someone missed on a TP and everyone vowed to kill them - I may have used a skill to yank Mr.Juing off the waterfall during said commotion. I joined a TP straight after, but was promptly knocked out of it 5 rounds in thanks to the angry little guy. Apparently it was beyond his tactical comprehension to not stand next to the cliff after doing so, because moments later he was soaring down the falls again.

This led to him flipping out in guild chat, demanding that people hurry up and kill that filthy goon. I got a couple of messages from Shinobros, but simply explaining the situation seemed to pacify everyone - not that it'd really matter with the frenemy clause. I rejoined the TP and he spent the entire time standing in the nearby watchtower, targeting me and apparently raging out in guild. When we were done I yanked him out of the watchtower and off the cliff again.

I was in a raid with the Shinobi leader last night. I asked if he'd heard of the fun with Juing - apparently he'd read this post in the Wushu thread and kicked him out of the guild.

Demon Born in Emptiness (now call Demon Arises or something like that) is a loving incredible skill, relatively easily available, that allows anyone to pull characters. If you've played WoW, it's a lot like a Death Knight's Death Grip, except it whips them a fixed distance - this can include over waterfalls.

As mentioned before, if said fixed distance would lead them over the edge of a cliff, so be it.

You're also not held accountable for damage done by ground impact. :love:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
You can also use Demon Born in Emptiness while in mid-air, and it resets your flying skills. I used Demon Born in Emptiness's cousin, Ghost Claw Explores the Darkness and Ghost Claw Scares the Goose during a school war, a huge raid on raid fight that happens twice a week at four locations over the game. On the map I was fighting on, there's a narrow bridge over a tremendously deep gap (Royal Guard capture point 24 if you care) that leads to an objective most of the way up a cliff--if there's a way to that objective that isn't across the bridge I don't know what it was.

I singlehandedly defeated four shaolin at this location, captured it, and then held it against all comers for nine minutes, simply by systematically leaping off the edge, using Scares Goose to break a target's block, Explores Darkness to hurl them off the bridge to a point that's a solid three minutes walk back, and then triple jumping back onto the bridge. Over and over and over again. As mentioned, I didn't get any points for this because it was the drop killing them, but I managed to hold that point until a squad of twenty rushed me at once.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Never stop posting wushu stories. Holy poo poo I can't stop laughing. This game is truly unparalleled in grief potential.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

Len posted:

It's not bad really. I was on for a few days before the game launched for free and it was only about 15 people, not too busy. Planetside 2's mumble on the other hand...

vvv: Poopsocking = mindlessly grinding, can't even get up to properly poo poo. Grab a sock and let 'er rip.

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 10, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey, what is "poopsocking" in grief terms? I looked it up, and obviously, only found definitions that had to do with literally pooping into socks.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

It's not really anything to do with griefing, it's a term that refers to the typical MMO activity of playing for very long periods of time. The implication being they poop into socks so they don't leave the computer. Which is a bit baffling frankly, because pooping into a sock can't be easy, wouldn't you need both hands?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Indecisive posted:

It's not really anything to do with griefing, it's a term that refers to the typical MMO activity of playing for very long periods of time. The implication being they poop into socks so they don't leave the computer. Which is a bit baffling frankly, because pooping into a sock can't be easy, wouldn't you need both hands?

Rig it up in advance, a Pro Gamer is always prepared.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dex posted:

Rig it up in advance, a Pro Gamer is always prepared.

Haha, ew, that's all I need to know.

I've been sort of griefing in League of Legends. Not by purposely losing, or boring stuff like that. That's not a funny grief in a game where all you have to do to send people into a fit of rage is disconnect or go afk. I've been roleplaying my character skins to great effect. For example, I'll play Alistar (a support-type Minotaur character) in his cowboy skin and talk like a cowboy, or Singed (a (generally) top-lane Mad Scientist character) in his surfer skin, and talk about "gnarly sick waves" and such, and get all kinds of great reactions. For the most part, my team loves it. Even the enemy players "lol." But occasionally a joyless player comes into the game and absolutely rages over it in chat. It's especially great when I play as Blitzcrank (a support-type Robot character with a Scorpion-like grab ability) and they get yanked to their death and I say "need a HAND with that?" only to have them explode in impotent fury over all-chat.

I've been getting far more "Friendly," "Teamwork," and "Honourable Opponent" accolades at the end of matches since I started doing it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Indecisive posted:

It's less about having your hands free and more about not having to leave your desk.

At this point it seems to have collapsed into just a derogatory term for someone who plays one game to almost exclusivity - I've even heard it in Call of Duty which is weird because while it's a game you can get better in with proper practice, you still need a more than superficial understanding of the game mechanics and have good natural reactions with almost all of the skill you build is transferable to and from any other competitive FPS, so being good at it isn't a linear line of "I can spend more time playing this game than you so I am always better" like stat-based MMOs are.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's also a conflation of two separate stories, one a bout a guy playing an MMO who didn't bother to leave his computer to poop, and another guy who inexplicably pooped into socks and kept them.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Ghostlight posted:

It's less about having your hands free and more about not having to leave your desk.

At this point it seems to have collapsed into just a derogatory term for someone who plays one game to almost exclusivity - I've even heard it in Call of Duty which is weird because while it's a game you can get better in with proper practice, you still need a more than superficial understanding of the game mechanics and have good natural reactions with almost all of the skill you build is transferable to and from any other competitive FPS, so being good at it isn't a linear line of "I can spend more time playing this game than you so I am always better" like stat-based MMOs are.

Pretty sure those games have level up and gain new weapons/skills systems that you have to play a whole lot to fully get.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blind Sally posted:

I've been sort of griefing in League of Legends. Not by purposely losing, or boring stuff like that. That's not a funny grief in a game where all you have to do to send people into a fit of rage is disconnect or go afk. I've been roleplaying my character skins to great effect. For example, I'll play Alistar (a support-type Minotaur character) in his cowboy skin and talk like a cowboy, or Singed (a (generally) top-lane Mad Scientist character) in his surfer skin, and talk about "gnarly sick waves" and such, and get all kinds of great reactions. For the most part, my team loves it. Even the enemy players "lol." But occasionally a joyless player comes into the game and absolutely rages over it in chat. It's especially great when I play as Blitzcrank (a support-type Robot character with a Scorpion-like grab ability) and they get yanked to their death and I say "need a HAND with that?" only to have them explode in impotent fury over all-chat.

I've been getting far more "Friendly," "Teamwork," and "Honourable Opponent" accolades at the end of matches since I started doing it.

That type of behavior can get you banned, be careful.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Being funny? :pwn:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

victrix posted:

People have been banned for using the 'select random hero' button that is built into the game.

I like to play as Armour of the Fifth Age Taric (a 'gem knight' hero, and the Fifth Age skin makes his armour and weapon bright pink) and hit on people. Nothing spectacular, just flirty comments in chat every time I gank them, that kind of thing. The number of people who have disconnected in response is frankly astonishing.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Comic posted:

Pretty sure those games have level up and gain new weapons/skills systems that you have to play a whole lot to fully get.

Not really. That's why the whole Prestige system exists, so the ADD kiddies still have a reason to play when not filming their 360 noscope montages.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

victrix posted:

Yes. Doing anything other than reporting to your assigned position and getting the subsequent acceptable amount of kills is reportable in LoL. This includes buying the wrong item, chatting, taking someones "CS", or installing the game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jastiger posted:

Aw, what? No way, that's terrible :( I feel like LOL is griefing me, if this is the case.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Blind Sally posted:

I dunno about Singed and Alistar, but you're only griefing yourself if you don't take every opportunity to do this while playing as Blitzcrank or any other mech-like skin. Especially Blitzcrank.

BEEP MOTHERFUCKIN' BOOP

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ciaphas posted:

I dunno about Singed and Alistar, but you're only griefing yourself if you don't take every opportunity to do this while playing as Blitzcrank or any other mech-like skin. Especially Blitzcrank.

BEEP MOTHERFUCKIN' BOOP

I want the Piltover Customs skin to go on sale so I can go "BEEP BEEP MOTHERFUCKERS!"

(The Piltover Customs skin makes him look like a car)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Please rename yourself "KILLDOZER" when that skin is available

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

I want the Piltover Customs skin to go on sale so I can go "BEEP BEEP MOTHERFUCKERS!"

(The Piltover Customs skin makes him look like a car)

It also gives him hilarious taunts/emotes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
DOTA 2 isn't as easy to grief as I thought. I tried to get my team mad at me by just being bad but one of them thought I was new to games and pleaded with the other team not to kill me. Does that count?

I was expecting a tide of profanity over voice chat. Does continually pausing the game work?

Xtrashiny
Nov 14, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

DOTA 2 isn't as easy to grief as I thought. I tried to get my team mad at me by just being bad but one of them thought I was new to games and pleaded with the other team not to kill me. Does that count?

I was expecting a tide of profanity over voice chat. Does continually pausing the game work?

Get clever, make a name with russian characters, pick enchantress or some equally useless mid hero and take mid at the start of the game saying " I mid, i alone stay and defend towers. you push. i stay." respond to everything with " you push. i stay. i alone."

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Dying to neutrals is when I started getting comments about the game being 4v5 so that's probably something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Comic posted:

They do, but it takes you like a week or two of casual playing to unlock everything, and almost all of the starting guns are completely fine if you're actually good. I always go Prestige at max level because I like unlocking things, but being reset to level 1 doesn't affect where I place on the scoreboard, and a lot of people never do it because they'd miss having everything available to them.

• Locked thread