Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

WASDF posted:

Is there legitimate belief that the Circle Pad Pro XL isn't? That's a foolish thing to believe. If this were like some weird heart-rate sensor for a Suda51 Japan eShop only game but if they bothered bringing the original to America then they'll probably bring this one over too.

Well, Europe certainly got a special mention that the CPP XL is coming. So chances are America will get theirs too - eventually.

Speaking of Europe, Atlus finally has a dedicated (competent) publisher there. Try to guess who it is. Hint: It doesn't start with a G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Saoshyant posted:

Clash of Elementalists, some Japanese DSiWare game, is confirmed for a Western release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiDJ1dfUsvg

Announcement below:

Looks sort of Kid Icarus-lite or a non-mecha Virtual On.

Seems kind of neat but local multiplayer only means I'll never be able to play against another human being. :negative:

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Am I too late for CT translation chat? I don't care. I like Frog's SNES faux-Shakespeare talk better. You say it doesn't make sense for him to speak that way since no one else in his time era did? Wrong. Frog took being a noble knight very seriously. More seriously than anyone else in his time. He might have spoke regularly when he was a human, but after being turned into a frogman, he had no reason to be embarrassed any more.

Fiendlord was a pretty badass title though.

I think the point of "no one else in his era spoke like that" is that he wouldn't have anyone to pattern off of; that mode of speech did not exist outside his head. It wouldn't be speaking like a noble knight because noble knights didn't speak like that. Within that universe, Frog was just making up his own words.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Rexroom posted:

Well, Europe certainly got a special mention that the CPP XL is coming. So chances are America will get theirs too - eventually.

Speaking of Europe, Atlus finally has a dedicated (competent) publisher there. Try to guess who it is. Hint: It doesn't start with a G.

A studio getting a reliable publisher is always good news. How are the Etrian Odyssey games? I don't know how much interest a dungeoncrawler will hold in my case, but it seemed neat.

Also, in case you don't have it already, get PiCTOBiTS/PiCTOPiCT. It's a great puzzle game with absolutely fantastic music. The ExciteBike remix alone is worth the 6 bucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

turnways posted:

I think the point of "no one else in his era spoke like that" is that he wouldn't have anyone to pattern off of; that mode of speech did not exist outside his head. It wouldn't be speaking like a noble knight because noble knights didn't speak like that. Within that universe, Frog was just making up his own words.

The problem is more that it doesn't actually fit his original characterization. Like I said, you can argue which characterization is better, but in this case it's a completely different characterization. "This guy has a weird way of speaking" is fine but as translated it's basically making poo poo up wholesale, which Woolsey was generally good about avoiding elsewhere.

"This guy speaks like a weirdo for no reason" is something games do, especially Japanese games. Cyan in FF3/6 did basically the same thing because Samurai have to talk in Ye Olde Speak and so translating it as him speaking in faux-Ye Olde English makes perfect sense. It's just not what Frog's deal was at all, and in fact Frog's was the exact opposite: He spoke really roughly and uncommonly impolitely for his era.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 9, 2013

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

horriblePencilist posted:

A studio getting a reliable publisher is always good news. How are the Etrian Odyssey games? I don't know how much interest a dungeoncrawler will hold in my case, but it seemed neat.

Also, in case you don't have it already, get PiCTOBiTS/PiCTOPiCT. It's a great puzzle game with absolutely fantastic music. The ExciteBike remix alone is worth the 6 bucks.

EO4 has a demo out on the eShop if you want to try it out. It features a pretty extensive amount of content for a demo and even lets you import your save into the full game if you decide to get it.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Badingading posted:

EO4 has a demo out on the eShop if you want to try it out. It features a pretty extensive amount of content for a demo and even lets you import your save into the full game if you decide to get it.

Not for Europe, it isn't.

Also holy poo poo there's a demo for Farming Simulator 2012 3D on the eShop how did i never see that.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

horriblePencilist posted:

Not for Europe, it isn't.

Welp. :downs: Forgot the EU demo doesn't come out until sometime in the "summer" along with the actual game.

There's a series megathread with a pretty good OP here that goes over the EO games in general and should cover most questions you might have.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A Batman Arkham spinoff is coming to the 3DS (and Vita). It's a 2.5D Metroidvania thingy developed by Armature Studio. Before you dismiss it as "bleh, licensed spinoffs", keep in mind that Armature is headed by former Metroid Prime leads and, while this will be their first game, it's promising at least. Coming October 25.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

A Batman Arkham spinoff is coming to the 3DS (and Vita). It's a 2.5D Metroidvania thingy developed by Armature Studio. Before you dismiss it as "bleh, licensed spinoffs", keep in mind that Armature is headed by former Metroid Prime leads and, while this will be their first game, it's promising at least. Coming October 25.

On the other hand we did see what their previous first game was going to be and it wasn't promising. :smith:

(I'm still holding out hope though.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand we did see what their previous first game was going to be and it wasn't promising. :smith:

(I'm still holding out hope though.)

What was it going to be? I'd never heard of them until now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

What was it going to be? I'd never heard of them until now.

They were going to do a 'gritty' FPS reboot of the Mega Man X franchise.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/9/4179628/mega-man-fps-maverick-hunter

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

:bubblewoop:

Death to the phantasmal illumination :black101:.

ImpAtom posted:

I'd never heard of this either. It's like staring into a parallel universe's version of Metroid: Other M. And I suspect it would've been the better of the two.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd never heard of this either. It's like staring into a parallel universe's version of Metroid: Other M. And I suspect it would've been the better of the two.

I'm pretty sure in this universe, right now, it's already the better game.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

ImpAtom posted:

This is the most baffling thing I've seen in a long time. I think I can safely say that this is the only time cancelling a Mega Man game was the right thing to do.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I'm suddenly getting really interested in Animal Crossing New Leaf due to a friend going on and on about all the new things in it. It comes out in a couple months right?

Wonder if I'll get arrested when I pick it up; I remember reading a article about the police force in my area thinking any adults who pick it up are only getting it to lure children home or something :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ImpAtom posted:

I guess it doesn't look terrible? I don't know who they think this would appeal to, because I have absolutely no interest in it as a Mega Man X fan, but it looked like it at least played kinda competently.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I'm suddenly getting really interested in Animal Crossing New Leaf due to a friend going on and on about all the new things in it. It comes out in a couple months right?

Wonder if I'll get arrested when I pick it up; I remember reading a article about the police force in my area thinking any adults who pick it up are only getting it to lure children home or something :v:

Um, what? :psyduck: Seriously, what. Why Animal Crossing of all things? It's just a cutesy sandbox game.

But yeah, it comes out June 9th (assuming you're in NA). Personally, I can't wait! Any word on whether we're getting the Animal Crossing XL bundle?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fuuuuuck.
I just pulled the trigger and bought the last Prime-eligible Mario Cart+3DS XL bundle & Ocarina of Time for almost $80 off. I never buy stuff like this for myself so I'm a little nauseous but gently caress it. I'm going in for surgery soon so I need something to whittle away the hospital hours.

Is the Star Fox 3D game any good? I'm still in love with Star Fox 64.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Silver Falcon posted:

Um, what? :psyduck: Seriously, what. Why Animal Crossing of all things? It's just a cutesy sandbox game.

But yeah, it comes out June 9th (assuming you're in NA). Personally, I can't wait! Any word on whether we're getting the Animal Crossing XL bundle?

Took me a minute to find

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Fuuuuuck.
I just pulled the trigger and bought the last Prime-eligible Mario Cart+3DS XL bundle & Ocarina of Time for almost $80 off. I never buy stuff like this for myself so I'm a little nauseous but gently caress it. I'm going in for surgery soon so I need something to whittle away the hospital hours.

Is the Star Fox 3D game any good? I'm still in love with Star Fox 64.

It is Star Fox 64, so if you like that game then yes it is good. It has better graphics!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Don't see what the big deal is. X series has been loving terrible since it moved to Playstation, and its presentation is ANGSTY as gently caress. If someone's going to do it in 3D, I'd want Prime developers to be doing it.

Capcom probably had flashbacks to that terrible Bomberman reboot though and nuked it.

The footage just looks like an engine showcase anyway so it clearly wasn't very far into development.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 9, 2013

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Droid Washington posted:

It is Star Fox 64, so if you like that game then yes it is good. It has better graphics!

It's just an updated port or is there additional content like the Master's Quest in OOT3D? Either way I'm sure I won't be able to resist.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

It's just an updated port or is there additional content like the Master's Quest in OOT3D? Either way I'm sure I won't be able to resist.

Pretty much an updated port. The only thing I don't like is the new voice acting. Falco is terrible. Though Peppy sounds like a combination of the old Peppy and Paul Lynde, so that's an improvement in my book. Still a great game. I recently got the digital copy from the XL/Luigi's Mansion promo.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Inzombiac posted:

Nothing on the scale of like entirely new levels or anything, but it does have a new challenge mode that requires you to know some tricks about the game engine and how scoring works to get high scores and a totally re-done (but still local only) multiplayer mode. Also a new easy mode and gyro controls but those are kinda lame.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Don't see what the big deal is. X series has been loving terrible since it moved to Playstation, and its presentation is ANGSTY as gently caress. If someone's going to do it in 3D, I'd want Prime developers to be doing it.

Capcom probably had flashbacks to that terrible Bomberman reboot though and nuked it.

The footage just looks like an engine showcase anyway so it clearly wasn't very far into development.

Yeah given whats shown off it wasn't far along but honestly I feel like putting Megaman into a Metroidvania mold wouldn't hurt the game at all and probably improve it. Isn't that what Megaman: Corruption or whatever its called is doing?

I'm assuming there is no announced metroid game for the 3DS or if there is its Other M 2: Return to Mysogyny Mountain

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

DeathBySpoon posted:

This is the most baffling thing I've seen in a long time. I think I can safely say that this is the only time cancelling a Mega Man game was the right thing to do.

It's right up there with the gritty Bomberman reboot.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think Nintendo is taking a break from Metroid but who knows. It hasn't had a handheld release in like 8 years.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I had not heard of that. I am just utterly loving baffled. Why Animal Crossing and not, say, Pokemon?

But besides that, is it such a foreign concept that adults would play the game with... other adults?

Just... I am stunned.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

I had not heard of that. I am just utterly loving baffled. Why Animal Crossing and not, say, Pokemon?

But besides that, is it such a foreign concept that adults would play the game with... other adults?

Just... I am stunned.

I'm pretty sure there was a local story somewhere that was warning parents about pictochat on the DS lite.

Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orpgUPNSRPI

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

What the hell? Animal Crossing rules and the cops can't tell me otherwise :argh:

gently caress the police, man, what a cop know about being deep, deep in debt to Tom Nook.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
This probably goes around a lot but the hori screen filters are a delight to install. Thanks for recommending them.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Mega Man X needed a gritty reboot as much as Bomberman did.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

TurnipFritter posted:

It's right up there with the gritty Bomberman reboot.

Consider the facts that the game not only had Keiji Inafune's blessing but was going to be made by ex-Retro developers, the developers who made Metroid Prime. Bomberman Act Zero was a half-assed cash in on the "gritty reboot" craze and therefore no effort was put into it whatsoever. Even though Maverick Hunter wouldn't have been the same Mega Man X we're used to, I'm pretty sure it would've worked considering who was behind it.
Did Mega Man NEED a gritty reboot? No, of course not. But you shouldn't be blind to the potential that was lost when this was scrapped.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Mega Man X needed a gritty reboot as much as Bomberman did.
Bomberman's just all cute and fluff though, it made no sense there. At least X is melodramatic and angsty and its storytelling is poo poo right out of a deviantart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bomberman's just all cute and fluff though, it made no sense there. At least X is melodramatic and angsty and its storytelling is poo poo right out of a deviantart.

Also, if I remember correctly the gameplay for Bomberman Act Zero was basically the same unchanged core mechanics of Bomberman so the "gritty reboot" was basically just a slap of paint that did nothing to address the aging concept.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think Nintendo is taking a break from Metroid but who knows. It hasn't had a handheld release in like 8 years.
I'd love a 2D Metroid game on the 3DS. I hope that Arkham spinoff is good. I wasn't crazy about Aliens: Infestation, it was a bit too linear and just felt a bit boring.

There's 2 of the Castlevania DS games I haven't played, I guess. They would probably give me a fix if I could track them down.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Details on that Arkham game. Sounds awesome, at least on paper...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I'd love a 2D Metroid game on the 3DS. I hope that Arkham spinoff is good. I wasn't crazy about Aliens: Infestation, it was a bit too linear and just felt a bit boring.

There's 2 of the Castlevania DS games I haven't played, I guess. They would probably give me a fix if I could track them down.

All the Castlevania games for the DS are excellent so do so. My greatest regret is I've beaten them all so thoroughly I now must sustain myself left over Metroidvania scraps in other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Don't see what the big deal is. X series has been loving terrible since it moved to Playstation,

Hey. HEY. X4, X5 and X8 were great. X6 and especially X7 can suck huge dicks in hell, though.

Command Mission was okay, for an FFX clone.

• Locked thread