Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as we all know the quality of games is all about the programming, programmers are the rulers and backbone of the game development process, with a court of loyal, but unfortunately stupid, artists, designers and writers

This is yyou : hurrrrrrrr hurrrrrr gurrrrr hurrrrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that's uncanny

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

vapid cutlery posted:

It was being used in games years before wow

which brings it back to "less talented" developers and "business logic"

"less talented" developers = hobbyist addon developers

"business logic" = rules of the game i.e. what players are allowed to do using the wow UI

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

"business logic" = rules of the game i.e. what players are allowed to do using the wow UI

sort of a mystery to me why tcl isn't used more for this type of stuff. lua is really not simpler than any other language, but with a tcl dsl it really is possible to toss something together that requires less sperging in manuals to sequence a couple of events/actions together

if you want to give map designers a sane way to spawn a couple of entities and such with a minimum of fuss i mean

every config file should be a tcl dsl script

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

tef posted:

fwiw: carmack came out and said scripting languages were a mistake for games. nothing is improved by having more lovely code by lovely devs. i.e if you're 'dumbing down' so that people who aren't programmers can write game logic, devs spend more time fixing it.

c.f business rules :v:

nerds are obsessed with making every non-programmer program, but then they aren't non-programmers anymore, they're just bad programmers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah, only business types and web "developers" want non-programmers to "program". the former have a legit need (the ability to address customer demands in realtime), the later are terrible.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i read a thing on database stuff the other day and they were really gung ho about having the business logic be done by non-devs so devs could concentrate on the backend

i just kept thinking that it would make my life harder if they did, cause theyd keep asking for dumb features in whatever interface they were given

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

nah, only business types and web "developers" want non-programmers to "program". the former have a legit need (the ability to address customer demands in realtime), the later are terrible.

eh, depends on your definition of programming. people who clearly aren't programmers get a lot of tasks done with for example access in problem areas that would otherwise require general programming. really, when non-programmers are able to do it it tends to get reclassified as non-programming

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

sounds like you need a software architect to stand in-between you and the business types

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Carthag posted:

i read a thing on database stuff the other day and they were really gung ho about having the business logic be done by non-devs so devs could concentrate on the backend

i just kept thinking that it would make my life harder if they did, cause theyd keep asking for dumb features in whatever interface they were given

users will always ask for more features, that's part of life. the thing is, you have to give them some mechanism for changing the way the system works because its a requirement for their job. giving them access to drools or something is a horrible idea because its gonna be beyond most of them, but having a more limited control panel is critical. if I had to change poo poo constantly for them i'd never get any work done, so I try to find a middle ground between giving them access to change the way the system works and limiting the amount of change they can do so they don't break everything. they need to be aware of what the changes will do so they don't get surprised by their changes. this makes them accountable for the changes they make instead of you.

alternatively you can try to set aside a block of your time each day to deal with system change requests but that will never work cause every change they'll want is critical and must be done now because they promised the client.

its better to say here are the changes you can make, here is how to do them, and here is what they will change. you can change them at any time. anything outside of those changes cannot be done. if you want more things to be changeable, write up the business case for it and we'll add it to the system. (this doesn't always work irl, but its really the best you can do)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

eh, depends on your definition of programming. people who clearly aren't programmers get a lot of tasks done with for example access in problem areas that would otherwise require general programming. really, when non-programmers are able to do it it tends to get reclassified as non-programming

doing things like creating forms in access is definitely programming, but filling out the form would definitely not be programming. most business types would probably not be able to write a form in access nor should they be expected to.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i loved working with users who were thoroughly competent with excel, since a trivial escape hatch for a lot of features was to provide a csv export of specific data when sufficiently specialized analysis was required. csv import was always a bit trickier, but at times that was an ok solution too

the users still weren't programmers in any usual sense, but if they can take the raw data and make their computer mangle stuff out of it i think we are getting close enough

e:

Shaggar posted:

doing things like creating forms in access is definitely programming, but filling out the form would definitely not be programming. most business types would probably not be able to write a form in access nor should they be expected to.

the only point i wanted to make was that making forms in access is something many people on the business side can easily learn to do if it helps them, just serving as a contrast to tossing lua into a complex system and pretending that anyone will be able to make useful use of it

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

i loved working with users who were thoroughly competent with excel, since a trivial escape hatch for a lot of features was to provide a csv export of specific data when sufficiently specialized analysis was required. csv import was always a bit trickier, but at times that was an ok solution too

the users still weren't programmers in any usual sense, but if they can take the raw data and make their computer mangle stuff out of it i think we are getting close enough

e:

the only point i wanted to make was that making forms in access is something many people on the business side can easily learn to do if it helps them, just serving as a contrast to tossing lua into a complex system and pretending that anyone will be able to make useful use of it

we've started backing our excel users up to a ssas 2012 data cube for most of this. works p well

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

PHP 5.5 removes the easter egg GUID urls.

Ironically this will make it easier to scan for unpatched PHP installs since you know that if http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?=PHPE9568F34-D428-11d2-A769-00AA001ACF42 works then the site has < 5.5

Of course if you're looking for an exploit in the PHP interpreter then you're trying too hard.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
author          mduigou
                Mon Apr 08 15:57:12 2013 -0700 (52 minutes ago)
changeset 8071  a195f50617fa
parent 7815     973a4c9b9935
parent 8070     7b4721e4edb4
child 8072      cc55bc49dda8

retain only vestigal randomSeed.

welp

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
thikn they meant to return a 4 sided dice

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
oh it's a diff

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

as we all know the quality of games is all about the programming, programmers are the rulers and backbone of the game development process, with a court of loyal, but unfortunately stupid, artists, designers and writers

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

lua wasn't really exposed to developers before the wow or garry's mod dude. what are you talking about

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

really, when non-programmers are able to do it it tends to get reclassified as non-programming

yes, this is because then you don't have to pay people as much. Hence the popularity of poo poo like salesforce.com

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

uG posted:

thikn they meant to return a 4 sided dice

it's an old xkcd joke

in real life ! !!!!

new LaffFactory().buildLaffs().create() right here, lemme tell ya

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

vapid cutlery posted:

lua wasn't really exposed to developers before the wow or garry's mod dude. what are you talking about

which developers are you referring to? the game developers who used lua "in games years before wow"? or the new lua people who got introduced to lua as hobbyist addon developers in wow and are now pushing for lua's adoption in other businesses because lua worked so well in blizzard's game (except it didn't really)?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
sorry in my post i meant to say "users"

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
which just brings me back to my original point

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Zaxxon posted:

salesforce.com

Kill me.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
No hardware. No software. No boundaries.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

we've started backing our excel users up to a ssas 2012 data cube for most of this. works p well

Excel on top of MATLAB and Oracle is God's own operating system if you number for a living

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

vapid cutlery posted:

which just brings me back to my original point

so you're just fine with WoW players making their first lua addon advocating lua and writing addons in lua as how they should be developing software in their day jobs?

hey, while we're at it, let's reward these lua people with meaningless achievements and points too. if WoW sometimes feels like work then work should also feel like WoW, for balance you see

or what if you need a manager to herd your World of Business Forms addon modders? just look for someone with 80 levels worth of leadership experience in a WoW raiding guild, easiest hire ever

no. change lua's syntax until you can't smell the taint of WoW anymore or burn the whole thing to the ground

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

what about second life extensions

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

it's not kosher if it's not open sauce

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Use guile

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

I'm as big a lisp dork as anyone, but if you're seriously considering sticking a scripting language into your system to let non-programmers try to program then you should probably go with javascript which at least has a large amount of documentation targeted towards idiots.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

ultramiraculous posted:

No hardware. No software. No boundaries.

no stored procedures, no joins, no debugger.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Police Academy III posted:

I'm as big a lisp dork as anyone, but if you're seriously considering sticking a scripting language into your system to let non-programmers try to program then you should probably go with javascript which at least has a large amount of documentation targeted towards idiots.

can we put a scripting language in and only let programmers use it?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i already told you tcl is the right answer here. god.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Zaxxon posted:

Introducing Wow⋆APL - The Power of APL In World Of Warcraft

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i love array programming above all other models, if it wasn't for the best designed, bets implemented, and most used array programming language of today costing ridiculous amounts of money.

apl will rise again.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

Zaxxon posted:

I guess, but then you should probably just use whatever is going to interface best with your underlying system and give you decent performance which may very well be LUA unfortunately.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

use squirrel instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wow, i think that is the first language in the thread i have genuinely never heard of, and it looks entirely uninteresting