Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm sure that dumbass probably isn't a social worker and just thought saying that would make people take his word as truth

Google his name and city and you'll find a social worker under that name, so quite tragically, he appears to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Google his name and city and you'll find a social worker under that name, so quite tragically, he appears to be.

That's loving disgusting

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Thats by far the worst thing I've ever readon F4W and its ridiculous they didn't post that with even a disclaimer.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

Thats by far the worst thing I've ever readon F4W and its ridiculous they didn't post that with even a disclaimer.

There's a "these are not the views of F4W" thing posted with it

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Let me change my position then to "its ridiculous it got onto the site even with a disclaimer"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I barely batted an eye at what was posted on the front page. It was really dumb, but at least it felt less hateful than what ends up on the board. I still can't believe that Nason posted it on the website, but at least it seemed like it was in the vein of: Person is concerned about violence against women and is profoundly ignorant about trans-issues rather than "LOL THEY ARE ALL FREAKS AND LADYBOYS" like you see on the board.

Either way it is unacceptable and I sent an email to Dave. A really long one.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

my response just got posted

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
^^ edit: quite a good response

MassRanTer posted:

I barely batted an eye at what was posted on the front page. It was really dumb, but at least it felt less hateful than what ends up on the board. I still can't believe that Nason posted it on the website, but at least it seemed like it was in the vein of: Person is concerned about violence against women and is profoundly ignorant about trans-issues rather than "LOL THEY ARE ALL FREAKS AND LADYBOYS" like you see on the board.

Either way I sent an email to Dave. A really long one.

I actually got a reply from Nason, for what it's worth. He said he did not post it and they would "review content policies with regards to external sources".

And of course, it's less hateful than the board, but the board is the board, not the front page of Wrestling Observer Dot Com.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
FYI (and I see this may already be a bit late), Dave will publish anything written to him about the site or wrestling with your name if he thinks it's good, unless you specifically tell him it's off the record.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I think it's been pulled, at least for now

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
It looks like the entire article has been taken down.

e; fb.

jeffersonlives posted:

FYI (and I see this may already be a bit late), Dave will publish anything written to him about the site or wrestling with your name if he thinks it's good, unless you specifically tell him it's off the record.

At first I was concerned because I don't want the Wrestling Observer coming up when someone googles my name but since its only available to subscribers I don't really care.

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 10, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

^^ edit: quite a good response

I actually got a reply from Nason, for what it's worth. He said he did not post it and they would "review content policies with regards to external sources".

And of course, it's less hateful than the board, but the board is the board, not the front page of Wrestling Observer Dot Com.

Oh, I agree. It's hosed up either way and baffling since Meltzer always rants about people sticking their heads in obvious honeypots.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I'm surprised Josh said he didn't post it given it was his contact at the top and he's the one in charge of the official WON/F4W Twitter account that linked to it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I emailed my response directly to Josh's email only so unless someone else is snooping his inbox, I find his denial a bit hard to believe.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My best friend is transgender and this whole thing makes me boil. I don't have a subscription to The Board or anything but who can I email and tell that my pretend one is canceled?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Andy Dufresne posted:

At first I was concerned because I don't want the Wrestling Observer coming up when someone googles my name but since its only available to subscribers I don't really care.

Not for nothing, but I'm not a subscriber and pulled the article and response up from the front page. Looks like the entire thing is gone now though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This whole thing reminds me of Penny Arcade's "What the gently caress is rape culture" incident, in that while many will continue right along with their heads up their asses, several more may walk away understanding something they previously didn't after embarrassing themselves.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

LividLiquid posted:

This whole thing reminds me of Penny Arcade's "What the gently caress is rape culture" incident, in that while many will continue right along with their heads up their asses, several more may walk away understanding something they previously didn't after embarrassing themselves.

It's not quite as bad as you didn't see Dave and Bryan act the way the Penny Arcade guys did. I'm just surprised that got published as it reads like a 10th grader writing their first opinion piece

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Wario Kart 64 posted:

I'm just surprised that got published as it reads like a 10th grader writing their first opinion piece

Let me tell you about Joe Babinsack....

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wario Kart 64 posted:

It's not quite as bad as you didn't see Dave and Bryan act the way the Penny Arcade guys did. I'm just surprised that got published as it reads like a 10th grader writing their first opinion piece
I almost wish they had. Then we could watch them actually mature on the topic as they learn like the Penny Arcade guys did when they finally had to confront their privilege. As it stands, I honestly can't tell how the two feel about it, since their opinion very much seems to be "Eh. What he said is fine, until he said 'freak.'"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm pretty well adjusted to stupid opinion pieces on the Observer site because the majority of careposts there are from the gooniest caliber of people humanly possible, but this one especially pissed me off not only for the stupidity of it, but because the guy is apparently a licensed social worker and he's comparing being transgendered to being a nazi sympathizer and a rapist.

LividLiquid posted:

I almost wish they had. Then we could watch them actually mature on the topic as they learn like the Penny Arcade guys did when they finally had to confront their privilege. As it stands, I honestly can't tell how the two feel about it, since their opinion very much seems to be "Eh. What he said is fine, until he said 'freak.'"

I don't agree with their indifference, but I understand it in the sense that I suspect there are more idiots on there who will threaten a revolt over having their ignorant speech censored than there are people like posters here who would walk away over a lack of action taken against the bigots on the board. I doubt any of those idiots would actually leave, but I'm betting Dave and Bryan are a lot less willing to call their bluff and would rather just let the thing blow over.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 10, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

sportsgenius86 posted:

the guy is apparently a licensed social worker and he's comparing being transgendered to being a nazi sympathizer and a rapist.

Yeah no loving chance.

e: On second thought my good friend is getting her Masters in social work and can't believe how many people in her class are sheltered white kids that are casually racist and unabashedly ignorant. One girl even said she probably would interact with more black people if they weren't so intimidating.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

weekly font posted:

Yeah no loving chance.

e: On second thought my good friend is getting her Masters in social work and can't believe how many people in her class are sheltered white kids that are casually racist and unabashedly ignorant. One girl even said she probably would interact with more black people if they weren't so intimidating.

someone else mentioned it checks out so I googled it myself and there's a whole shitload of evidence of a Justin Proctor licensed for social work in Baltimore, which is sickening.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 21, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm mad they posted it in the first place, but I'm glad they took it down.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
One thing that kinda scares me is the possibility of Bryan asking Lance Storm about this stuff next week and then Lance, well, answering.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kudos to you guys for getting that trash taken down, and I plan on writing my own email to Bryan and Dave thanking them for doing so. The one thing I do want to add is that I honestly think Bryan and Dave deserve a bit of a chance if they show signs that they understand why this garbage isn't acceptable. Keep in mind that Dave is a 50 something guy who's spent his whole adult life in the often not exactly LGBT friendly worlds of pro wrestling and MMA, and Bryan as mentioned many times before is basically the living embodiment of the "wrestling bubble". Please don't take this to mean that I think that that excuses bigotry, but I do think it explains ignorance and to me ignorance is more what they seem to be guilty of. The fact that they took it down hopefully is a sign that they're learning something.

weekly font posted:

Yeah no loving chance.

My mom has a fairly similar LPCC certification (either that or an LSW is valid certification for her job), and she'd be the first to tell you that this is sadly not hard to believe.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 10, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can you imagine the horrible counseling that dimwit has provided to rape/abuse victims? It boggles the mind.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I actually disagree with removing it completely because it does nothing to progress such idiocy - especially since there's no mention of the mistake made by posting it in the first place.

It comes off less like a lesson learned and more like something they really hope they don't have to deal with

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Can you imagine the horrible counseling that dimwit has provided to rape/abuse victims? It boggles the mind.

I know what kind and I bet it is shockingly common.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I know this is OT from the current discussion but I just listened to the podcast about belt making with Dave Millican and it was extremely interesting. Winged Eagle 4 Lyf.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Can I throw in a recommendation for The Old School Wrestling Podcast? I only discovered them thanks to them being covered on The AV Club and their site is here http://www.flairchop.com/ and they have a whole itunes thing going on. It's one of my favourite podcasts in general because I like the easy, casual, attitude of it. It's also pretty interesting hearing about the obscure alongside the more popular. So while the most recent episode is a pretty well covered Wrestlemania 13, a previous episode is Road Warriors Vs Powers of Pain in a bench press contest. Complete with zubaz.

I also ended up getting the first 50 episodes for $9.99 because I figured it was a pretty good deal.

The only annoying thing is that while the site has from episode 51 onwards, the itunes links only goes back through I think the last 10. I ended up having to download and add them to itunes manually.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

The Penny-Arcade guys only "learned" in the sense that people threatened to pull sponsorships and stuff over it and they didn't want to get hit in the wallet, if I remember right. (Which is fine because they didn't actually do anything wrong but that's neither here nor there)

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I dont read the Board and dont read any guest posts on the front page, so I've missed all the transphobia chat, but if you tell me what to say in an email to Bryan/Dave, I'll do it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I got a really quick response from Dave and just got one from Bryan, basically saying the same thing that they are trying to clean up the board. Bryan's sounded really sincere and I'm sure Dave is just wondering why he has to deal with this bullshit while he tracks down his poster.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I know this is OT from the current discussion but I just listened to the podcast about belt making with Dave Millican and it was extremely interesting. Winged Eagle 4 Lyf.

Oh poo poo, I knew there was a podcast I meant to listen to.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MassRanTer posted:

Bryan's sounded really sincere and I'm sure Dave is just wondering why he has to deal with this bullshit while he tracks down his poster.

It's like a microcosm of everything Bryan and Dave do.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRanTer posted:

Bryan's sounded really sincere and I'm sure Dave is just wondering why he has to deal with this bullshit while he tracks down his poster.

I was pretty pissed about this earlier, and I still managed to laugh at this.

Hopefully they do the right thing and actually clean it up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

VogeGandire posted:

It's like a microcosm of everything Bryan and Dave do.

Everything in Dave's life is an annoying chore in between playing with his kids and worshipping at his shrine to Tanahashi.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

Everything in Dave's life is an annoying chore in between playing with his kids and worshipping at his shrine to Tanahashi.

I can't wait for the WOR where Dave opens by wondering who put a Miz shrine up in his office and if it replaced his Kobashi or his Steamboat shrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRanTer posted:

I can't wait for the WOR where Dave opens by wondering who put a Miz shrine up in his office and if it replaced his Kobashi or his Steamboat shrine.

I was thinking during that segment that his wife totally should gently caress with his brain every few months for out amusement by removing/adding a poster or two.

• Locked thread