Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Geirskogul posted:

Feet of extra turbo piping actually surprisingly doesn't add much, if anything, to turbo lag. I mean, unless you're Holdbrooks and you're contemplating running it eight feet into the air and then five squiggly feet back.

Was it Holdbrooks's thread where this was discussed and the consensus was, on a small-displacement 4 you might see a little something maybe, but on a big V-8 where the engine's gulping down more than the volume of the pipes every revolution it was irrelevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Exactly.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

D C posted:

Used to hang out with a group of them just after high school.

One of them was attacked by a dog when she was younger, got some money in a lawsuit that she couldnt touch until she turned 18.

They day after her 18th birthday she shows up in a brand new F150 with a massive pink lift and huge wheels and tires. Her driving a truck that big scared the poo poo out of me.

There was a lifted truck used to drive around my neighborhood, white with pink trim, black rims with a pink star on the center cap (outlined in chrome, of course). "MUD DANCER" printed in bright pink letters on the windshield. Never saw a speck of dirt on the thing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sir Tonk posted:

This showed up at the Lamborghini Festival south of Houston yesterday.

It's an Abarth, either that or he spent alot of cash on decals, wheels, and that intake cover.

I actually pulled up next to an Abarth last week. Sounded like a riced out Civic. I was surprised to see that it did not have any sort of hill assist either.

The lambo doors would make sense on a 500 if you were wedging it into parallel parking spots perpendicular to the road :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

I actually pulled up next to an Abarth last week. Sounded like a riced out Civic. I was surprised to see that it did not have any sort of hill assist either.

The lambo doors would make sense on a 500 if you were wedging it into parallel parking spots perpendicular to the road :)

What's hill assist? I'm assuming you aren't talking about a low range gearbox...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Linedance posted:

What's hill assist? I'm assuming you aren't talking about a low range gearbox...

JATO/RATO and wings.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Linedance posted:

Serious answer, some modern cars (and a few not-so-modern cars) have a setup where when you let off the brakes on a hill, the car holds them for you a bit longer until you get the clutch engaged. Eliminates the need to try to use the emergency brake to hold the car from rolling back.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

IOwnCalculus posted:

Serious answer, some modern cars (and a few not-so-modern cars) have a setup where when you let off the brakes on a hill, the car holds them for you a bit longer until you get the clutch engaged. Eliminates the need to try to use the emergency brake to hold the car from rolling back.

Either that or just learn how to drive a manual and you dont need hill assist.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think I remember something like that. I think it was on a Morris 1100 or something. It was like a little second brake pedal that'd lock the pedal down I think. Of course this is a 20+ year old memory of a 1960's? car so I may be a little off base.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I found it hilarious when I was backing my dad's car into my driveway (E91 320d, yes I give him poo poo for buying the ickle engine), if I let off the throttle on my completely-normal-dropped-kerb, it rolls back down. The Jeep just sits there or keeps going really slowly.

Edit: Anti-rollback is stupid anyway. Just use the drat handbrake.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

I found it hilarious when I was backing my dad's car into my driveway (E91 320d, yes I give him poo poo for buying the ickle engine), if I let off the throttle on my completely-normal-dropped-kerb, it rolls back down. The Jeep just sits there or keeps going really slowly.

It's pretty damned convenient when you're on a 25% grade in San Francisco.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

InitialDave posted:

Some manuals don't have a handbrake.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Really? How do you park on an incline?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Fayez Butts posted:

With the parking brake. Some manuals have a foot operated one. W203 C230 compressor is one I know of.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 11, 2013

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Fayez Butts posted:

Not all emergency brakes/parking brakes are hand brakes...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It seems the handbrake is a thing of the past - everything's moving to these horrid electronic parking brakes if the newish cars I've driven recently have been any judge, both in the EU and here in the US. I try not to be a reflexive luddite about things (i think it's a good move that the new GT3 is PDK, for example) but even I think that's a step too far.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Crustashio posted:

With the parking brake. Some manuals have a foot operated one. W203 C230 compressor is one I know of.

The first gen CTS-V was like this too :eng99:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
First gen Ford Rangers, too.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Any vehicle that can't hold for a split second on a hill with partial clutch engagement and no gas is probably too underpowered to be safe...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Or it's a low displacement, low compression ratio turbo car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EightBit posted:

Any vehicle that can't hold for a split second on a hill with partial clutch engagement and no gas is probably too underpowered to be safe...

Hey, look who never drove a car from the 80s.

Edit: Actually, I think most of them would fit the description.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Godholio posted:

Hey, look who never drove a car from the 80s.

Edit: Actually, I think most of them would fit the description.

80s Subarus were woefully underpowered but they did have a hill holder, so there you go

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Sudo Echo posted:

80s Subarus were woefully underpowered but they did have a hill holder, so there you go

Don't they still? I thought I remember reading about it in a Forester ad from just a few years ago.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

netwerk23 posted:

Don't they still? I thought I remember reading about it in a Forester ad from just a few years ago.

It all depends on the model. Foresters aren't really known to be the fastest of the fleet. I believe in 2005 Subaru made an STI version? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I use my Subaru for more than just speed: like delivering flannel shirts. She's slow on take off (AWD) but she can run with the pack.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Das Volk posted:

The first gen CTS-V was like this too :eng99:

And second gen is electric!

Also, my old Corvair had a wacky boomerang handbrake to the left of and below the steering wheel, which made using it on hills a pain in the rear end. I learned the hard way with that car. On everything. Don't buy a Corvair.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Kolta posted:

Foresters aren't really known to be the fastest of the fleet. I believe in 2005 Subaru made an STI version?

Paging Tusen Takk ITT...

Yes, they made a STI Forester but it was for the Japanese market only.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
You could always use a log to help on hills, worked for Clarkson.

Terrible Robot posted:

Remote location turbo, designed for vehicles that don't have much space in the engine bay (or owners with too much space in their head). I've always wondered how much they add to the lag, having all those extra feet of piping. Not that that lets them off the hook for that air filter arrangement.

Saw something like this in an Escalade. The turbo was somewhere behind the front seats, since they couldn't fit it up front. Looked weird as hell, wish I had gotten a photo when it was up on the lift.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 11, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

netwerk23 posted:

My 2012 Impreza has a hill holder.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Saw something like this in an Escalade. The turbo was somewhere behind the front seats, since they couldn't fit it up front. Looked weird as hell, wish I had gotten a photo when it was up on the lift.

I've posted this before, but it seems appropriate again:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Eh, the wheels are a bit too much, but other than that I'd drive the poo poo out of it.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

It's like Forza came to life.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Hill assist: the long version.

You come to a hill. You push down on the brakes a bit harder to engage. The traction control system reads that you are on a hill. You release the brake, the car doesn't roll for about 5 seconds. After that 5 seconds it will roll backwards. I have played around with mine to figure out exactly how it works. I have only driven 1 automatic in my 20 years of driving, so I never really needed it, but it just happens to be a feature of my new car. It really is pretty convenient as it lets you slip the clutch less and not have to heel toe as you would in an older car.

Hill assist: tldr

You don't roll into the dickhead sitting half an inch off of your bumper and your clutch lasts longer.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I just let myself roll back a little on anyone coming up behind me on a hill and hopefully they get the hint. Other than that I'm pretty good about catching rolls with just clutch + throttle.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Only reason I mentioned it, was because it just seems like such a trivial thing to add to a car with all the electronic stability control on EVERYTHING these days. Seemed odd that it didn't have it being the "flagship" product from Fiat.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Eh, the wheels are a bit too much, but other than that I'd drive the poo poo out of it.

The car is dope, just the anime made me laugh. :)

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Geoj posted:

Paging Tusen Takk ITT...

Yes, they made a STI Forester but it was for the Japanese market only.

Crap, I totally missed something in the conversation. Some reason my eyes hovered over hill holder. My bad.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

More of a rant, but gently caress you parents who let their kids put the entire Lisa loving Frank collection on the inside of the rear windows.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Only reason I mentioned it, was because it just seems like such a trivial thing to add to a car with all the electronic stability control on EVERYTHING these days. Seemed odd that it didn't have it being the "flagship" product from Fiat.

There is hill start control on all fiat 500's. You can turn it off in the instrument cluster. It can actually be annoying, if you are quick you can nearly stall because the brakes are still engaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

There is hill start control on all fiat 500's. You can turn it off in the instrument cluster. It can actually be annoying, if you are quick you can nearly stall because the brakes are still engaged.

This happened to my CR-z the first time I found it had hill assist. I can't disable mine though :saddowns: