Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-09-homesick-dev-chloe-sagal-successfully-crowd-funding-life-saving-operation

Metal poisoning scammer Chloe Sagal successfully funded her "life saving" surgery. Then IG shut down her campaign because it's obviously a loving scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The fallout from this is going to be beautiful.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Babe Magnet posted:

Can't you see, it's clearly all part of the US-Pharmo-Industrial Complex trying to shut her down! :tinfoil:

Don't you know they just want you to stay sick so they can make money?!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The 'voice issue' in that video is literally what a 5 year old does when they pretend they're sick..

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I wonder how they will explain how these algorithms detected a scam, when all you really needed was common sense. Maybe it's so they can try avoiding being sued, on account of maths.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
There is no loving way that a 'fraud algorithm' was used to evaluate that particular fundraiser. What a load of crap.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Indiegogo: "I am shocked, SHOCKED to find that scams are going on at Indiegogo"

Paypal: "Here are your cut of the fees from the paypal payment Indiegogo"

Indiegogo: "Why thank you!"

Autechresaint posted:

I wonder how they will explain how these algorithms detected a scam, when all you really needed was common sense. Maybe it's so they can try avoiding being sued, on account of maths.

I wonder if their fraud algorithm searches for the words "cut out the middle man" or "ideas man".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Alan Smithee posted:

I wonder if their fraud algorithm searches for the words "cut out the middle man" or "ideas man".

It certainly doesn't search for "zombie game".

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Orzo posted:

There is no loving way that a 'fraud algorithm' was used to evaluate that particular fundraiser. What a load of crap.

It's my Indian name.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-09-homesick-dev-chloe-sagal-successfully-crowd-funding-life-saving-operation

Metal poisoning scammer Chloe Sagal successfully funded her "life saving" surgery. Then IG shut down her campaign because it's obviously a loving scam.

Meanwhile Kickstarter went all in to back a millionaire rear end in a top hat that conned a bunch of people while using her kids as props...

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Orzo posted:

A fun game to play is to switch the word "algorithm" with "spirit guide" and see if it changes the context. If it doesn't, the algorithm is probably bullshit. Let's see what happens!

quote:

Indiegogo has a proprietary and effective anti-fraud spirit guide, and when suspicious activity is detected the campaign is immediately suspended and all contributors are refunded. Indiegogo's proprietary trust and security spirit guide, and our community of credible, conscious participants help to make Indiegogo the world's largest, most trusted global crowdfunding platform.

"Community of credible, conscious participants" :rolleyes:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They're just coming up with ways they don't have to say "you're a scammer and a bullshit-artist" even though they really want to.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There really are a ton more even worse projects that can't pass the minimal review given before launch you know.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nor does it reverse image search camwhore pictures

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
So Chloe seems to post on a forum called "Indie Stone Forums" quite a bit the last while about this. Apparently when Indiegogo refunded the campaign she threatened suicide.

quote:

Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:38 am

Indiegogo deemed my page too high risk to resume funding, so they're refunding everything.

I was in a dark place, I was so close, I had a knife pushed to my stomach, but a very good person managed to talk me down. The feeling was intense. I can't even describe it, it was like I was drunk, like chemicals where whirring around in my head, it was surreal.

Things are not going to be the same. I need to do some serious thinking and think of what to do next. Everything will be alright.

I'm sorry.

The mod then locked the topic with a link to this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-09-homesick-dev-chloe-sagal-successfully-crowd-funding-life-saving-operation

The leading conspiracy theory is still that Chloe is actually trans trying t get funds for a gender reassignment surgery. This is a loving mess.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

So Chloe seems to post on a forum called "Indie Stone Forums" quite a bit the last while about this. Apparently when Indiegogo refunded the campaign she threatened suicide.

The mod then locked the topic with a link to this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-09-homesick-dev-chloe-sagal-successfully-crowd-funding-life-saving-operation

The leading conspiracy theory is still that Chloe is actually trans trying t get funds for a gender reassignment surgery. This is a loving mess.

I watched the video on that Eurogamer page, for some reason it reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6QLMUwVBeY

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Which seems a stupid thing to do if true. Surely you find enough people backing a sex-change operation on the Internet. Why the incredibly fake metal poisoning smokescreen?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Decius posted:

Which seems a stupid thing to do if true. Surely you find enough people backing a sex-change operation on the Internet. Why the incredibly fake metal poisoning smokescreen?

Because transphobia runs rampant on the internet, especially in gamer communities.

Well, either IG killed someone or prevented a scam from taking place. I haven't followed this too closely but I hope it's the latter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Alan Smithee posted:

Nor does it reverse image search camwhore pictures

Speaking of camwhores, the "Help Dad Build a House!" Indiegogo project which is really a camwhore pre-order sale is ending in a few days. She's raised over $4.5k from 34 people, that's an average of $133 per 'donor'.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You mean like how in the Eurogamer article it explicitly says "She also said she wants a different surgery that costs $29,000 that isn't medically necessary but will make her life great"?

I mean no offense to the trans community but it's pretty clear that Chloe Sagal is transitioning MtF and trying to scam SRS surgery out of the internet.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Decius posted:

Surely you find enough people backing a sex-change operation on the Internet. Why the incredibly fake metal poisoning smokescreen?

It's like a hundred thousand dollars. I don't think it's easy to raise that much money by just asking the internet, no matter your cause. Her strongest community were gamers, and she knew that the best route to the money was to be their Damsel in Distress. Simple, high stakes: give me money right now or I will be dead in a few months. This is a much easier sell than trying to explain why her body feels alien to her and how she thinks she would be happier/less depressed if she got SRS. I totally believe that she is suffering and felt this was the best way to alleviate her suffering.

kaguya
Apr 4, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of camwhores, the "Help Dad Build a House!" Indiegogo project which is really a camwhore pre-order sale is ending in a few days. She's raised over $4.5k from 34 people, that's an average of $133 per 'donor'.

hahahaha oh god that's shocking. Somebody paid $1000 for a 4 hour skype session.

Why wouldn't you just have a hooker do it for you at like a tenth of the price?

I love her description "One hour of skype chat! (No dirty stuff, just chatting and having fun)"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

:stare: I remember when it was like 1500 bucks. What the gently caress Indiegogo. I guess "e-kiss" "e-date over skype" and "pizza chain" aren't on their fraud algorithm either

kaguya posted:

hahahaha oh god that's shocking. Somebody paid $1000 for a 4 hour skype session.

I love her description "One hour of skype chat! (No dirty stuff, just chatting and having fun)"

They want the "white knight" experience

Goddamnit did I just use a term co-opted and essentially date-raped by every neckbeard in the MRA movement? Ugh I feel so dirty

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

kaguya posted:

I find it tragic and hilarious that some people are so lonely that they're willing to pay $1000 to be able to talk to a girl for 4 hours over the internet. :allears:

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer
No you don't understand, once she talks to them (and they donate 5k$ more), she'll realise they are her one true love.

SG-83
Sep 6, 2004

I guess it's not just a dog thing!

Lord Booga posted:

No you don't understand, once she talks to them (and they donate 5k$ more), she'll realise they are her one true love.
And his mom will be so happy for him that she'll totally forgive him for the $6K he ran up on her credit card. :allears:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

It makes me a bit distressed to see the response to the conspiracy that this is for gender reassignment surgery. Is there any proof to this claim, apart from her being silly and talking about the other $25,000 surgery that will improve her life but is not related to the fundraiser at all?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Exmond posted:

It makes me a bit distressed to see the response to the conspiracy that this is for gender reassignment surgery. Is there any proof to this claim, apart from her being silly and talking about the other $25,000 surgery that will improve her life but is not related to the fundraiser at all?

The other possibility is that she's being scammed by an "alternative medicine" doctor into undergoing unnecessary surgery.

There's not really such a thing as poison metal you can have inside you for 2 years, and then die in a few more months unless its removed now. If there was real poisonous metal it would already be too late for that to make a difference.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

The other possibility is that she's being scammed by an "alternative medicine" doctor into undergoing unnecessary surgery.

There's not really such a thing as poison metal you can have inside you for 2 years, and then die in a few more months unless its removed now. If there was real poisonous metal it would already be too late for that to make a difference.

I am reminded of Gary Cobain who was half of the electronica group Future Sound of London. He was ill for years, so much so that he had to put the band in hiatus. He under went many eastern medical procedures that ultimately did nothing and cost him a lot of money only to find out that one of his fillings was an older filling that contained mercury and was leaking into his body. So it can happen, just not the way she/he claims it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Sound_Of_London#New_millennium.2C_new_sound

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Autechresaint posted:

I am reminded of Gary Cobain who was half of the electronica group Future Sound of London. He was ill for years, so much so that he had to put the band in hiatus. He under went many eastern medical procedures that ultimately did nothing and cost him a lot of money only to find out that one of his fillings was an older filling that contained mercury and was leaking into his body. So it can happen, just not the way she/he claims it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Sound_Of_London#New_millennium.2C_new_sound

But even then the damage would have been done. The point above is that there is no magic toxic metal that can poison you for years, then with one surgery be removed to make you better. Long term heavy metal toxicity does massive organ and tissue (and neurological) damage that isn't fixed with a simple removal.

If she were seaking a real treatment for something like long term metal poisoning she'd be in for months if not a year or more of dialysis and chelation therapy(the real kind). And even then it wouldn't "fix" her so much as keep her from continuing to slowly die.

Crain has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Apr 11, 2013

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

It's like a hundred thousand dollars. I don't think it's easy to raise that much money by just asking the internet, no matter your cause. Her strongest community were gamers, and she knew that the best route to the money was to be their Damsel in Distress. Simple, high stakes: give me money right now or I will be dead in a few months. This is a much easier sell than trying to explain why her body feels alien to her and how she thinks she would be happier/less depressed if she got SRS. I totally believe that she is suffering and felt this was the best way to alleviate her suffering.

Even if she had the surgery done in the US as opposed to overseas, it's closer to $18-25,000 for vaginoplasty from most surgeons. Her $29,000 would have been enough if IndieGogo hadn't cancelled the fundraiser. If she had pitched it as "help me raise money for my transition" she wouldn't have gotten nearly enough; there's too much transphobia and other people have tried and failed to make their fundraising goals on IG.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Carbon Thief posted:

Even if she had the surgery done in the US as opposed to overseas, it's closer to $18-25,000 for vaginoplasty from most surgeons. Her $29,000 would have been enough if IndieGogo hadn't cancelled the fundraiser. If she had pitched it as "help me raise money for my transition" she wouldn't have gotten nearly enough; there's too much transphobia and other people have tried and failed to make their fundraising goals on IG.

..so the obvious solution is to lie about it and dupe people into funding something under the illusion that they were in a time crunch to save some poor girl's life who only had months to live?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Autechresaint posted:

..so the obvious solution is to lie about it and dupe people into funding something under the illusion that they were in a time crunch to save some poor girl's life who only had months to live?

I can't even imagine how desperate I might get if I was in that situation. It's not cool, but it's pretty understandable.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bobo the Red posted:

I can't even imagine how desperate I might get if I was in that situation. It's not cool, but it's pretty understandable.

No it's not. It's understandable to save money (yourself, god forbid people do this anymore) for a surgery you desire. Scamming the internet to pay for it by selling invitations to cam girl shows under the guise of trying to build a new house for a disadvantaged family is not at all understandable. It's despicable.

E: Wait I'm all confused and apparently have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. Scamming people is bad I don't know.

Konar has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Apr 11, 2013

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

How is it understandable? Why should anyone feel entitled to get other people to pay for their reassignment surgery through deception? If you feel strongly about wanting to get this surgery done, either raise the money yourself through honest means by saving up or talk to trangender advocacy group to see if there are options to raise money. There are a lot of people in the video game/entertainment industry who have gone through gender reassignment, surely she could have struck up a conversation with one of them.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Autechresaint posted:

How is it understandable? Why should anyone feel entitled to get other people to pay for their reassignment surgery through deception? If you feel strongly about wanting to get this surgery done, either raise the money yourself through honest means by saving up or talk to trangender advocacy group to see if there are options to raise money. There are a lot of people in the video game/entertainment industry who have gone through gender reassignment, surely she could have struck up a conversation with one of them.

You do know that the suicide rate for transgendered people who can't get SRS is obscenely high, right? Lying and scamming people is a lovely thing to do but it's not unlikely that it was literally a matter of life and death to her.

It's entirely possible to empathize with someone without endorsing their actions.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Autechresaint posted:

Do you know what "understandable" means? It means you can understand the motivation, not that you agree with it. The physical state of her body could be a very real health problem for her, one that could have a drastic negative effect on her day to day life. Are you telling me you literally can't even understand why someone in that position might do anything they could, including things that are unethical, to finally fix that omnipresent negative effect on his or her life?

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

BoutrosBoutros posted:

Do you know what "understandable" means? It means you can understand the motivation, not that you agree with it. The physical state of her body could be a very real health problem for her, one that could have a drastic negative effect on her day to day life. Are you telling me you literally can't even understand why someone in that position might do anything they could, including things that are unethical, to finally fix that omnipresent negative effect on his or her life?

I can 'understand' it, but others like carbon thief were hanging their understanding why based on how 'anti-transgender the internet is' as justification for her actions. Yes, her actions are understandable, but they are not justifiable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If they really are trying to hide something else, then they shouldn't have thought up such a suspicious cover story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Autechresaint posted:

Of course not, but given that a recent survey showed that 41% of trans people in the US have attempted suicide and there is next to no healthcare/insurance in the US for trans people, it is, like other posters have mentioned, understandable but not justified.