Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Getting near 8 hours logged. Hunted my first Great Jaggi in Plains, was pretty easy. Went into Moga Woods and ended up fighting and killing two more, albeit separately, but still fun to go from a boss fight to fighting two back to back :black101:.

I need me some Machalite (?) Ore for some armor. That spawn in Moga or Plains? Only have one so far I got randomly.

The green ore nodes drop it pretty frequently. The typical ones are purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxiCalifornia
Feb 7, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

YESSSS Battled and caught my first Rathian! :black101: I love how badass this game makes me feel when I take down a huge monster for the first time.

Captured my first rathian just now as well! I think the rathian fight was when I finally started to really enjoy the hunts. All of the 1 star through 3 star monsters died really quickly, and their gimmicks weren't very interesting. I had no idea that the rathian poisons the first time you fight it, and it took all of my potions to stay alive. And, yeah, I felt incredibly badass when I finally took it down. I'm on the 3DS, so I can only imagine how fun it must be to play with 3 other people :(.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

\/\/\/ Thanks. Not sure what Deserted Island is, but I can check some out in Plains. \/\/\/

Deserted Island is the same thing as the Moga Woods. It's just called the "Deserted Island" when you go there on a quest.

e:

MaxiCalifornia posted:

Captured my first rathian just now as well! I think the rathian fight was when I finally started to really enjoy the hunts. All of the 1 star through 3 star monsters died really quickly, and their gimmicks weren't very interesting. I had no idea that the rathian poisons the first time you fight it, and it took all of my potions to stay alive. And, yeah, I felt incredibly badass when I finally took it down. I'm on the 3DS, so I can only imagine how fun it must be to play with 3 other people :(.
Craft a set of full Wroggi armor, never get poisoned again.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Dishsoap posted:

I don't think I "get" bowguns. Every time I've tried to use them, it adds about 15-20 minutes to my usual hunt time. I'm guessing they take a lot of practice to get good with, but I just can't seem to get the hang of them.

One thing to keep in mind is that distance from the monster can negatively affect your damage. This guide should still be fairly accurate.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Soul Glo posted:

Getting near 8 hours logged. Hunted my first Great Jaggi in Plains, was pretty easy. Went into Moga Woods and ended up fighting and killing two more, albeit separately, but still fun to go from a boss fight to fighting two back to back :black101:.

I need me some Machalite (?) Ore for some armor. That spawn in Moga or Plains? Only have one so far I got randomly.

\/\/\/ Thanks. Not sure what Deserted Island is, but I can check some out in Plains. \/\/\/

You were hunting a Peco before going for the G. Jaggi? :psyduck: Qurupeco is always a motherfucker, don't get me wrong, but having him as a first target sounds like a wonderful exercise in pain and frustration. Kudos for sticking with it.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Welp, frustrated with the fact that I couldn't loving reach Jho with the hammer (seriously was he always this huge in Tri as well?) I crafted a jhen mohran gunlance and upped it, slapped on evasion+1, and just wrecked his poo poo. I still couldn't reach him half the time but he couldn't hit me either so I guess I could call that even?

Evasion+1 works just as amazingly with lances in this game as it did in Tri. I don't know why it doesn't seem to pay off nearly as much with rolling. Sometimes I forgot to put it on and rolled through attacks just as well without it. But with lances? gently caress, I could easily step through Jho's body-check, his dragonbreath, his screams, the works.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Chronojam posted:

You were hunting a Peco before going for the G. Jaggi? :psyduck: Qurupeco is always a motherfucker, don't get me wrong, but having him as a first target sounds like a wonderful exercise in pain and frustration. Kudos for sticking with it.

Thanks. I'm enjoying it the more I play. I really only played Tri and Freedom Unite for a couple hours each, I would estimate.

And I did the Peco just randomly by playing with another goon who also had no experience with the game, and we wanted to try killing something instead of looking for more mushrooms. It was literally my first day playing, and Qurupeco steamrolled us, then killed me when I tried to solo it and I only passed him on that four player game we were in.

Since then I've stuck with doing single player quests offline while getting used to the game.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 12, 2013

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
For some reason, I or my friend keep disconnecting from each other in multiplayer even though we are about 5 feet apart from each other. Is there any particular reason why this would be happening? It wasn't a problem until just now, but we only started playing multiplayer yesterday

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Captured a Qurupeco on my first try! Gruelling fight though. I figured if it got to limping around, I'd let it fly off to the next area, and just run right after him. Keeping paintballs on him was instrumental of course. Once I got into that area, I dropped a trap soon as I could and just waited for him to step on it, as he was coming right for me. Blam, tranq'd like easy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Couple quick questions about the lance. Is there any attack it can't block? I was surprised when you guys said it can block Wroggi poison. Also, does it actually do cutting or impact damage?

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Ciaphas posted:

Couple quick questions about the lance. Is there any attack it can't block? I was surprised when you guys said it can block Wroggi poison. Also, does it actually do cutting or impact damage?

There are some attacks that Lances cant block naturally, but if you get a certain skill (I think it's Guard Up) then you should be able to block drat near anything.

Also, Lances have the unique ability to do cutting OR impact damage depending on which does more damage to that specific hitbox. You'll always be able to cut tails with them though!

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
Goddamn it's amazing how much more fun the game is once you move into high rank. Got murdered from half hp from a Rathalos fireball, which made it even more satisfying when I took him down!

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Any weapon that has the block capability can block just about any attack that isn't a laser beam, water/sand tunnel, Gigginox/B.Giggi's AoE attack, Lagiacrus' Super Discharge, Zinogre's Super Charge, Brachydios' slime explosions (the ones from the puddles, not his punches), and any kind of attack that leaves you soiled (farts).

EDIT: Correction, you CAN block soiling attacks without Guard Boost, but it'll still leave you soiled unless you have Guard Boost.

avlein fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 12, 2013

MaxiCalifornia
Feb 7, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Craft a set of full Wroggi armor, never get poisoned again.

Thanks for the info :D!

What's the point of Gunner sets? Blademaster sets have double the defense of Gunner sets, and Gunner sets have only +1 or +2 above Blademaster sets in certain elemental resistances, which seems rather negligible. But then again, I have no idea how the numbers work, and I'm just assuming that def and elemental resistance have equal value.

Also I've found a few spots that I can dig up for stuff that seem special but I've gotten nothing from them. I found one in area 4 of D. Island in that little cat gathering area and another in area 6 of Sandy Plains. I'm assuming there's something quest-related with them later.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You can only wear blademaster outfits with melee weapons, and only wear gunner outfits with ranged weapons.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

How important is elemental damage, and having the right kind? I'm about ready to take on Lagombi, and the hammers that I have available are a Ludroth Splashhammer (624 base power, 120 water) or a Plume Flint (572 base, 80 fire). It's weak to fire and water does basically nothing, but if I'm reading the wiki right -- and I may not be, because it just jams all the Monster Hunters together and is horribly organized -- then I should use the Splashhammer, because the 80 fire isn't enough to make up for the fact that it has less base power.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

MechaCrash posted:

How important is elemental damage, and having the right kind? I'm about ready to take on Lagombi, and the hammers that I have available are a Ludroth Splashhammer (624 base power, 120 water) or a Plume Flint (572 base, 80 fire). It's weak to fire and water does basically nothing, but if I'm reading the wiki right -- and I may not be, because it just jams all the Monster Hunters together and is horribly organized -- then I should use the Splashhammer, because the 80 fire isn't enough to make up for the fact that it has less base power.

I'm no expert but that's what I've been lead to believe as well. Hammers hit slowly so their raw attack power is generally more important than their elemental affinities. That 80 Fire is pretty low and won't make up the power difference.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
That's true, but a 1200 raw hammer with 300 fire element is still nothing to sneeze at in terms of how much elemental damage it can do, especially with the hammer's spin attack. I'd still prefer high raw over a significant amount of element though. 1400 raw :getin:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I just made an HR lagi set and holy gently caress, thanks to Focus and Tenderizer hammer is like a different god drat game. It's such a massive upgrade, like critdraw for the greatsword.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

MechaCrash posted:

Lagombi in the stomach with Hammer Pound 1.

Plume Flint (572 base, 80 fire)

[572 x 0.52 x 1.05 x 0.44 / 5.2] = 26.4
[80 x 1.0 x 0.3 / 10] = 2.4
Total = 28.8

Ludroth Splashhammer (624 base power, 120 water)

[624 x 0.52 x 1.05 x 0.44 / 5.2] = 28.8
[120 x 1.0 x 0.0 / 10] = 0.0
Total = 28.8

However in higher tier weapons affinity and sharpness will help raw damage in a way elemental won't really benefit from.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 12, 2013

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

MaxiCalifornia posted:

Thanks for the info :D!

What's the point of Gunner sets? Blademaster sets have double the defense of Gunner sets, and Gunner sets have only +1 or +2 above Blademaster sets in certain elemental resistances, which seems rather negligible. But then again, I have no idea how the numbers work, and I'm just assuming that def and elemental resistance have equal value.

Also I've found a few spots that I can dig up for stuff that seem special but I've gotten nothing from them. I found one in area 4 of D. Island in that little cat gathering area and another in area 6 of Sandy Plains. I'm assuming there's something quest-related with them later.

There are a couple of sets where having the gunner hat is better for skills and slots than the blademaster hat and luckily you can wear it when using a sword or whatever! Ludroth gets you an extra slot (so 5, perfect for utility skills so you can make it your heatproof gathering set or capture guru etc). Barioth trades a single slot for a double AND stops you from getting the negative skill AND gives you an extra point towards activating Constitution. Ceadeus swaps a single for a double but means you're one point short of activating Earplugs, but that's easily fixable with a charm/decoration if 7 slots (3 of them being doubles!) is what you need for decorations eg: 3 Attack+3, a single Earplugs and then an Attack talisman would get you Earplugs back and +Attack(S) minimum. Add a +Protection jewel to a weapon slot and you cancel the negative skill on it too!

I think those are the only three and only low rank though.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Potsticker posted:

You can only wear blademaster outfits with melee weapons, and only wear gunner outfits with ranged weapons.

Except for the helmets, those can go on either. Sometime's its a better idea to use the opposite type.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I shoulda bought this game for Wii U instead of 3DS, listening to all of you guys talking about playing the game online sounds like so much fun but there's no way I'm dropping another $60 to play :sigh:

renojiin
Oct 26, 2005
College Slice

quiggy posted:

I shoulda bought this game for Wii U instead of 3DS, listening to all of you guys talking about playing the game online sounds like so much fun but there's no way I'm dropping another $60 to play :sigh:

Another $60 for what will likely be 100+ more hours added from laughing at pubbies is a pretty good deal as far as entertainment money per hour.

Hell I'm thinking of getting a second Wii U and game so that I don't have to do account swap fuckery when my girlfriend wants to play. Moving back and forth through 2 accounts and uploading/downloading data to the 3DS is a pain in the butt.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

renojiin posted:

Another $60 for what will likely be 100+ more hours added from laughing at pubbies is a pretty good deal as far as entertainment money per hour.

Hell I'm thinking of getting a second Wii U and game so that I don't have to do account swap fuckery when my girlfriend wants to play. Moving back and forth through 2 accounts and uploading/downloading data to the 3DS is a pain in the butt.

This is likely true. I've been trying to get one of my roommates to pick up a copy, even offering to split the cost 50/50 but after trying the demo he said the game feels boring and stupid. This despite the fact that literally every time I've recommended a game to him he's become addicted for months. Roommate :argh:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Level Slide posted:

Also Hatsune Miku will be in Frontier G. Or rather, a costume resembling Miku. Good news for anyone in Japan who wants to get their Domino's Pizza on while beating up monsters.

Frontier isn't really so much a game about monster hunting as it is a game about paying monthly to wait 15 minutes for three other players to come with you to exploit traps and status effects while wearing Ryu and Chun-li outfits. I don't know how much game balance Season G is supposed to bring, but usually it's really easy to get burnt out on new content no matter what it is.

And yes, traps are that overpowered in any MH game if all 4 players know the timing of traps and set them in sequence. Shock, wang on head for KO, Pitfall, paralyze in pit, wang on head for KO in pit, paralyze, rinse, repeat until capture.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Does evasion -10 actually take away the invincibility frames from a running dive?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Frontier isn't really so much a game about monster hunting as it is a game about paying monthly to wait 15 minutes for three other players to come with you to exploit traps and status effects while wearing Ryu and Chun-li outfits. I don't know how much game balance Season G is supposed to bring, but usually it's really easy to get burnt out on new content no matter what it is.

And yes, traps are that overpowered in any MH game if all 4 players know the timing of traps and set them in sequence. Shock, wang on head for KO, Pitfall, paralyze in pit, wang on head for KO in pit, paralyze, rinse, repeat until capture.

This is basically why I want Frontier's monsters in a real Monster Hunter like MH4, that'd be cool.

Alternatively release the MMO over here for a one time fee and then let us play our silly dinosaur bashing video game.

renojiin
Oct 26, 2005
College Slice

Thundercracker posted:

Does evasion -10 actually take away the invincibility frames from a running dive?

It halves them iirc, from .2 sec to .1 sec.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Two questions:

When you deploy a trap, can other monsters trigger it, or can only the target monster get trapped by it?

And also: right now I'm using the Douser Bardoche and the Diablos armor set and that's pretty fun and all, but having water damage and only a slim line of green sharpness is really holding me back. Is there some supersharp fire weapon I could or should make right now?

INTJ but horny
Feb 3, 2011

AH, YES.
YOU FOUND MY
LAIR'S SECRET
ENTRANCE.
Other large monster can trigger it (gently caress you Great Jaggi that trap was meant for Qurupeco :argh:) but the small monsters will just pass over it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

One of the Tanzia tavern songs is a rendition of the Ceadeus theme. I can't believe I didn't notice that until now.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The wiki says Arzuros are Size: 797.58cm but just killed one in G Rank that was 854. It was loving enormous :black101:

Carecat fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 12, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

quiggy posted:

Get the Wii U version, then you can move your save file back and forth really easy. Do the easier quests or boring, safe resource gathering runs for when you're out and about with the 3DS, and save the really complicated battles for the Wii U.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Level Slide posted:

One of the Tanzia tavern songs is a rendition of the Ceadeus theme. I can't believe I didn't notice that until now.

Which one?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'm starting in with lances after hours of using the greatsword. It seems to be a big adjustment in tactics. There's a bit more mobility, but I also have to be much more accurate of where I throw out attacks. The greatsword was a pretty forgiving weapon for sloppy swinging, since you could nearly hit everywhere alternating between a horizontal swipe and the overhead X + A swing, and mobility wasn't all that terrible if you were used to cancel-dodging.

I'd appreciate a run-down or advice from a lance expert. Right now I feel like my lance options are pretty simplistic and straightforward- poke in front of you, or poke high, or do a sweep. Blocking is king. Dodging, you get a hop backward- if you need to roll you have to sheathe. I'm curious as to if there are any good combos, cancels or advanced tricks on top of that.

Dishsoap
Dec 8, 2007

quiggy posted:

If you have a WiiU, go to the e-shop and download the "MH3U Packet Relay Tool." It let's you hook you 3DS to your WiiU and go online from there. No need to pay another $60 if you don't want to.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

For some reason, I or my friend keep disconnecting from each other in multiplayer even though we are about 5 feet apart from each other. Is there any particular reason why this would be happening? It wasn't a problem until just now, but we only started playing multiplayer yesterday
Assuming 3DS:

Did you close your 3DS?
Did you accidentally flip the wireless switch?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

5er posted:

I'm starting in with lances after hours of using the greatsword. It seems to be a big adjustment in tactics. There's a bit more mobility, but I also have to be much more accurate of where I throw out attacks. The greatsword was a pretty forgiving weapon for sloppy swinging, since you could nearly hit everywhere alternating between a horizontal swipe and the overhead X + A swing, and mobility wasn't all that terrible if you were used to cancel-dodging.

I'd appreciate a run-down or advice from a lance expert. Right now I feel like my lance options are pretty simplistic and straightforward- poke in front of you, or poke high, or do a sweep. Blocking is king. Dodging, you get a hop backward- if you need to roll you have to sheathe. I'm curious as to if there are any good combos, cancels or advanced tricks on top of that.

I'm not an expert by any means, but with a lance you get 3 stabs at a time that you can mix between upwards and forward stabs. Any time in the middle of that, you can side or backstep up to three times. Then if you do the charging attack (R+A?), you'll activate a counterattack if you get hit. That's basically all I do anyways

quote:

Assuming 3DS:

Did you close your 3DS?
Did you accidentally flip the wireless switch?
I factory reset my firmware and I'm not having any more issues. Apparently it was a firmware problem according to people on gamefaqs and whatnot. I don't have access to my wireless switch with my cpp on anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just FYI, the cornpopper gunlance makes slide whistle sounds instead of gunlance sounds.

• Locked thread