Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
White smoke on the way down evokes Columbia, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

BuzzFeed made an extremely bold proclamation today...

24 Unofficial Movie Posters That Are Better Than The Real Posters

They include:

Is bold the right word?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Those sure are 24 terrible posters.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

What does this even mean?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

penismightier posted:

Poor cemetery planning.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

penismightier posted:

Ryan lives, everyone else dies + the start/end of the movie being in the the Arlington cemetary(?) + minimalism

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

penismightier posted:

Everybody died except Private Ryan because we saved him?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

penismightier posted:

All those crosses are dudes that died to find Private Ryan, who's cross is missing. I guess?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

But the cemetery motif in the film is about Miller's grave. Having seen the film - and these loving posters only work after you've seen the film - I immediately think some crazy joyriding kids stole Tom Hanks's tombstone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

penismightier posted:

and these loving posters only work after you've seen the film

This is every single minimalist poster and it's why they're all trash.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
This thread spends (well) a lot of time mocking bad minimalist posters. Does anyone know examples of good minimalist posters?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wubbles posted:

This thread spends (well) a lot of time mocking bad minimalist posters. Does anyone know examples of good minimalist posters?

No, because there aren't any.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Wubbles posted:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Wubbles posted:

Probably something by Piet Mondrian.

http://www.art.com/gallery/id--a7/piet-mondrian-posters.htm?ui=183D2FC6AFA544A9836E825D40BB6BD7

He doesn't do movie posters, though.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
I suppose minimalist movie posters are not related to actual Minimalism.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Wubbles posted:

The pedant in me says that the classic posters for Alien and The Man with the Golden Arm are minimalist works, but in terms of fan-made stuff, some of the Olly Moss stuff that sparked this fire isn't bad, like his Great Dictator cover.

He doesn't just put some cheap filter over a picture of a pair of loving glasses or a goddamn battery and call it a day, he at his best tries to hit something that gets the mood and look of the film.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

This is amazing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cool concept, but nothing beats the full on shot of JGL doing his best Bruce Willis face.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
The gently caress is this poo poo.

What does Jaws have to do with The Great Wave off Kanagawa? Why is the composition so terrible? Who thought this was a good idea?

Wubbles posted:

Depends on what you mean. If you're talking about the design fad (solid colors, simple shapes, stupid metaphor, and paper filter) then no. If you're talking about minimalism as a design philosophy, then sure. Though it depends on how you minimalist you want it. The original Akira poster could be considered minimalist, in that it removes any unnecessary detail and just focuses on a couple of simple objects.

This poster for The Man With The Iron Fists, on the other hand, embraces the Japanese influence on minimalism and gives a large amount of detail to a small number of objects.

Of course, I could just be talking out my rear end. Somebody who has actually studied minimalism could probably answer your question better. I'm just a dude who likes creative poster designs and hate this loving fad.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'd say this qualifies as a minimalist poster and at the same time it's an excellent one for a variety of reasons. Bonus points for a really nice tagline as well:

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Stare-Out posted:

I'd say this qualifies as a minimalist poster and at the same time it's an excellent one for a variety of reasons. Bonus points for a really nice tagline as well:

I don't know precisely why but I think this is one of the best movie posters ever made. It conveys everything you need to know with just the logo and the name, the colours look good together, the tag line is good, but theres something more to it than that. It's just... perfect

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Ez posted:

I don't know precisely why but I think this is one of the best movie posters ever made. It conveys everything you need to know with just the logo and the name, the colours look good together, the tag line is good, but theres something more to it than that. It's just... perfect

This is such an unspeakably lovely poster I flat out honest-to-god real-life hate every greasy piece of poo poo nerd idiot artless manchild who bought a print.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ez posted:

It's eye-catching, provocative and pretty much encompasses the whole message of the film in that it's the actual logo for Jurassic Park; corporate gain and presenting a false veneer of control over forces that are completely uncontrollable. Hell, even the font is excellent. It's one of my favorite posters of all time, hands down.

penismightier posted:

This is such an unspeakably lovely poster I flat out honest-to-god real-life hate every greasy piece of poo poo nerd idiot artless manchild who bought a print.
Yeah, I saw that in the results when I searched for the one I posted. Decided not to post that one because of the rage it would, justifiably, generate, but here we go. :v:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Like how could you live in a world where the real JP poster exists, and buy that one above.

How. It's not even a question, because there's no answer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The colors are so perfect. The orange color of "safety" gear trying vainly to encircle a blood red moon/sun that illuminates the skeletons of beasts from yesteryear. Perfect.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't know why these lovely rear end posters make me so angry.

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
Implicit smugness?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Probably 'cause all these movies already have perfectly good posters, combined with the fact that all these minimalist posters are in-jokes that nobody who hasn't seen the movie already will get.

They're also really loving lazy. A few shapes, a crumbled paper texture, 20 mins in Photoshop and VOILA I'M AN ARTIST :downsbravo:

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 13, 2013

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lance Streetman posted:

Depends on what you mean. If you're talking about the design fad (solid colors, simple shapes, stupid metaphor, and paper filter) then no. If you're talking about minimalism as a design philosophy, then sure. Though it depends on how you minimalist you want it. The original Akira poster could be considered minimalist, in that it removes any unnecessary detail and just focuses on a couple of simple objects.

This poster for The Man With The Iron Fists, on the other hand, embraces the Japanese influence on minimalism and gives a large amount of detail to a small number of objects.

Of course, I could just be talking out my rear end. Somebody who has actually studied minimalism could probably answer your question better. I'm just a dude who likes creative poster designs and hate this loving fad.

Stare-Out posted:

You're not wrong Lance Streetman, in that these focus only on a couple or maybe even one element or thing from the movies, but one of the differences between these three and the other lovely "minimalist" posters that get harped on in this thread is that Akira's anime-as-gently caress motorcycle, Iron Fist's iron fists, and Jurassic Park's Tyrannosaurus Rex are not all mundane everyday objects that could come from any goddamn movie ever. Hey, what's the cool part of Jaws? The scariest shark of all time? Nah, a beach umbrella! Whoa, Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro are in a movie together and they're shooting at each other? Then let's show... a couple coffee mugs!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Suzuki Method posted:

I like that one because it actually looks like, you know, a Star Trek poster.

Nah, now it looks like a Trek poster.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm in love with you right now

Donjolly
Jan 15, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Put a glowing Kirk head in the back of that and I'll record the kickstarter video

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I'm looking forward to hearing Cumberbatch's opinion on the nature of time.

ProTip: It is the fiyah in which we BURN.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

penismightier posted:

The pedant in me says that the classic posters for Alien and The Man with the Golden Arm are minimalist works, but in terms of fan-made stuff, some of the Olly Moss stuff that sparked this fire isn't bad, like his Great Dictator cover.

He doesn't just put some cheap filter over a picture of a pair of loving glasses or a goddamn battery and call it a day, he at his best tries to hit something that gets the mood and look of the film.

It feels like with this "minimalist" (ugh) trend, there was a wave of designers like Olly Moss who were inspired by the work of Saul Bass;

and in turn there have been a bunch of copycats "inspired" by Moss. So what we're getting is a huge flood of copies of copies, degrading in quality, artistry, and design sense, like generations of dubbed VHS tapes.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There was a site posted in this thread I think that compared scenes from different works. The one I remember most is the Trail Park Boys and Dark Knight, when the Joker sticks his head out the window and is driving, in TPB Bubble's dummy did that. Can anyone help me with a link or the right phrase to google to find this site? It was a wordpress or tumblr site.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 13, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

KoRMaK posted:

There was a site posted in this thread I think that compared scenes from different works. The one I remember most is the Trail Park Boys and Dark Knight, when the Joker sticks his head out the window and is driving, in TPB Bubble's dummy did that. Can anyone help me with a link or the right phrase to google to find this site? It was a wordpress or tumblr site.

You are looking for shotcontext.blogspot.com

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Saw this on Twitter; don't know who made it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Aatrek posted:

Saw this on Twitter; don't know who made it.

Hahaha holy poo poo, these actually make me want to see the movie :allears:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's the smugness. Instead of reflecting any emotive or aesthetic properties of the films, the only thing these posters emote is self-satisfaction. "I have presented this film as fine art", says the nerd whose entire definition of fine art is apparently hamfistedly emulating Magritte by way of Saul Bass. "I have elevated it, justifying my obsessions. Let us contemplate this key prop while we sip a vintage Dew."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's the smugness. Instead of reflecting any emotive or aesthetic properties of the films, the only thing these posters emote is self-satisfaction. "I have presented this film as fine art", says the nerd whose entire definition of fine art is apparently hamfistedly emulating Magritte by way of Saul Bass. "I have elevated it, justifying my obsessions. Let us contemplate this key prop while we sip a vintage Dew."

Nerds love references. Not saying anything about the references, mind you, just the referencing. Oh I'm sorry, you don't get the reference? Tut tut.