Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
The high possibility that it was actually for SRS actually makes me think of it as less of a scam and more of a cry for help. I would have happily donated if that were the case upfront—I am also in the process of transitioning myself, and I know just how terrible it gets.

In less depressing and triggering news, there's a brilliant chap trying to make bank off some film adaptations of Edgar Allen Poe works. Not a single dime has been pledged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There's the whole thing where since Chloe weren't actually upfront about what was being funded, now the whole thing is taken down and they're getting nothing, but are still getting a bunch of backlash directed at them. A lose/lose situation.

Noyemi K posted:

In less depressing and triggering news, there's a brilliant chap trying to make bank off some film adaptations of Edgar Allen Poe works. Not a single dime has been pledged.

I do wonder how decent the one he's already made is. Maybe he should have waited til that came out so he could get people actually interested in it?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
He's playing fast and loose with the source material isn't he? Also the visual aesthetic looks garbage on the one he did but has yet to release. Just look at the shot of guy and girl about to kiss (you remember that part in the Tell Tale Heart right?) I bet he turns Fall of the House of Usher into a zombie flic.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JossiRossi posted:

He's playing fast and loose with the source material isn't he? Also the visual aesthetic looks garbage on the one he did but has yet to release. Just look at the shot of guy and girl about to kiss (you remember that part in the Tell Tale Heart right?) I bet he turns Fall of the House of Usher into a zombie flic.

Hey now, loosely adapting Poe stories for film has a proud history! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Corman#The_Edgar_Allan_Poe_adaptations

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I imagine a good aesthetic for a Poe film is nothing that modern filmmaking is subtle enough to deliver. The unnerving, the uncanny. It doesn't work with the setup he's got going. It looks like he's trying to do a big budget production with a brentillion crappy special effects.

Unrelated tangent: Install Gentoo, I keep thinking your avatar is Zeta Gundam's head when I look at it out the corner of my eye. I didn't even know it was a cat until a few days ago. Was this intentional?

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Apr 11, 2013

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Noyemi K posted:

"Nobody understands Edgar Allan Poe like I do, and no one ever will." :smugdog:

And I didn't even recognize Rose McGowan. Her nose got hit with a shrink ray sometime in the last few years or something.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

JossiRossi posted:

Didn't you know that the beating of the heart in the Tell Tale Heart was a sign that he should really be with his beloved instead of at his 9-5 white collar job? The call of true love is a haunting thing.

Halfway through that I realized that he's Twilightifying Poe. This can go places.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Noyemi K posted:

I imagine a good aesthetic for a Poe film is nothing that modern filmmaking is subtle enough to deliver. The unnerving, the uncanny. It doesn't work with the setup he's got going. It looks like he's trying to do a big budget production with a brentillion crappy special effects.

Unrelated tangent: Install Gentoo, I keep thinking your avatar is Zeta Gundam's head when I look at it out the corner of my eye. I didn't even know it was a cat until a few days ago. Was this intentional?

Oh sure, but hey, it's not like using the name and basic idea of a story to make a completely different movie is that uncommon. It's certainly possible to make a movie that's at least enjoyable that way.

Also no I don't think the guy who made the av of his cat for me intended it to look like anything other than his cat.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Beanpants posted:

And I didn't even recognize Rose McGowan. Her nose got hit with a shrink ray sometime in the last few years or something.

For a meagre 100k? Interesting.

And I didn't recognise her either... I really miss her old nose.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
In better news, the Zomboid team decided that since all the pledges from sales for their game were refunded, they're planning to deliver that money towards a Doctors without Borders type charity. If people want refunds they're going to pay them back out of pocket so the original lump sum for Chloe can be donated untouched.

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/2013/04/announcement-re-indiegogo/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

In better news, the Zomboid team decided that since all the pledges from sales for their game were refunded, they're planning to deliver that money towards a Doctors without Borders type charity. If people want refunds they're going to pay them back out of pocket so the original lump sum for Chloe can be donated untouched.

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/2013/04/announcement-re-indiegogo/

Jesus, I never heard of this happening. So this chick asking money to not die is "suspicious activity" for IndieGoGo?

Good on the PZ folks for not just taking the money and rolling with it, though.

E. Assuming we're operating on the assumption that the charity case wasn't just BS. I'm an optimist.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Jesus, I never heard of this happening. So this chick asking money to not die is "suspicious activity" for IndieGoGo?

Because the surgery they claim they're getting isn't actually plausible at all.

There's a ton of people who post Indiegogo campaigns for specific real treatments like "getting chemo" or whatever and go through fine.

They've either been suckered by a quack doctor, or they're hiding what they actually want to pay for. The "toxic metal from 2 years ago but if i get it removed right now I'll be fine" thing is definitely not medically true.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Good on the PZ folks for not just taking the money and rolling with it, though.

E. Assuming we're operating on the assumption that the charity case wasn't just BS. I'm an optimist.

Because you don't have to pay upfront to get life saving emergency surgery. If she had the surgery and was asking for donations to help pay the bills her case would be more plausible, and even still if you can't pay the hospitals are usually willing to work with you on it. Worst it will do is affect your credit score. But she's playing up to everyone's ignorance of the american health care system.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
Yeah no hospital is going to diagnose you with a fatal condition that is completely surgically curable and then tell you that you have to have cash in hand.

That much money wouldn't even cover a very invasive surgery/recovery anyway. My wife had a c-section and the hospital billed our insurance for 20k. That was for an epidural, 30 minutes of prep, a 5 minute procedure, and two more days' stay. It's just about the most minimal surgery they do, and it costs $20k (and 5k more for just the baby's care.) If there was a 'life saving' surgery that was 29k, it's not much of a surgery.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Her explanation was BS. What we don't know is if she was BS-ing donors or a quack was BS-ing her.

You do hav to pay quacks upfront, because the last thing they want to do is take anyone to court.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Veronica Mars movie Kickstarter has less than 24 hours to go. They've raised over $5 million!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Veronica Mars movie Kickstarter has less than 24 hours to go. They've raised over $5 million!

I'm curious to see how many other cult but cancelled TV shows will jump on the band wagon, either to fund a movie, or extra episodes online or something. It sets an interesting precedent.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

OldMemes posted:

I'm curious to see how many other cult but cancelled TV shows will jump on the band wagon, either to fund a movie, or extra episodes online or something. It sets an interesting precedent.

If we can raise 10 million, the makers of Supermarket Sweep will finally hear our voices and bring it back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OldMemes posted:

Honestly, it's just a countdown to Firefly at this point.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Noyemi K posted:

Haha, this guy registered here to shill and got banned.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Waffleman_ posted:

Honestly, it's just a countdown to Firefly at this point.

Hasn't Wheton come out and basically sad "it's not happening, please leave me alone" already?

I mean the show was good and the movie had its moments, but the little sister was just such a flat out retarded character in the movie. Yeah they hinted at her being dangerous in the show especially with the gunfight scene but her going in to :black101: overdrive was so unbelievably cheesy.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Funny how the number of films he's directed went up by 150% when he posted here... oh well, I haven't heard of any of them.

Edit: And on my birthday, too... :smith:

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Apr 13, 2013

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

OldMemes posted:

Man, that has me thinking. How insane do you think a Kickstarter to get more of Firefly would be?.. :stare:

Oh god.. or Alf :catstare:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Isizzlehorn posted:

Man, that has me thinking. How insane do you think a Kickstarter to get more of Firefly would be?.. :stare:

I imagine it would make upwards of $10-$15 million on Kickstarter, the most KS has ever seen for a single project, and after everyone takes their cut it would get to keep enough money to pump out maybe two or three episodes, which is kind of... pointless. Firefly was an expensive show with a large cast.

El-ahrairah
Dec 24, 2007

Chewbot posted:

I imagine it would make upwards of $10-$15 million on Kickstarter, the most KS has ever seen for a single project, and after everyone takes their cut it would get to keep enough money to pump out maybe two or three episodes, which is kind of... pointless. Firefly was an expensive show with a large cast.

Animation could be cheaper? A kids show would be a sweet revenge.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
My personal fantasy is that JMS will kickstart an HD release of Babylon 5 with CGI that doesn't look like utter poo poo. A man can dream I suppose...

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hasn't Wheton come out and basically sad "it's not happening, please leave me alone" already?

He is going to be doing work for Marvel for the next few years, and Nathan Fillion is on Castle currently, but he has said he will look into it when all that is done.

While i am very happy that Veronica Mars has done so well, Firefly would require a lot more money, and i am not sure whether there is enough interest in Kickstarter to make even a super low budget Firefly movie, let alone a mini series.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Firefly Kickstarter will happen, and the plot for the new series is that due to mysterious circumstances like that episode of Angel, everyone become puppets. Pledge $150 to get your very own Mal puppet to cuddle all the time.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Isizzlehorn posted:

I don't remember, didn't Alf end on a big "cliffhanger" (if you want to get decidedly too melodramatic for a sitcom) with him ending up in military custody or something?
I would totally approve a bleak and horrible continuation of the series with him somehow getting out of jail after 20 years of solitary confinement and eating toenail clippings. Preferably done in a "Children of Man" style.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

miguelito posted:

I don't remember, didn't Alf end on a big "cliffhanger" (if you want to get decidedly too melodramatic for a sitcom) with him ending up in military custody or something?

It did, but then there was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_ALF

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DoctorTristan posted:

My personal fantasy is that JMS will kickstart an HD release of Babylon 5 with CGI that doesn't look like utter poo poo. A man can dream I suppose...

Wow, you have high standards. B5 was making extensive use of CGI on a TV budget nearly 20 years ago. That it looked as good as it did was a miracle.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Jedit posted:

Wow, you have high standards. B5 was making extensive use of CGI on a TV budget nearly 20 years ago. That it looked as good as it did was a miracle.

I'm talking about the DVD releases. While the live-action sequences were shot on film in 16:9 and cropped for TV broadcast, the CGI was only shot in 4:3. Then the studio managed to lose the original CGI masters, so all that was left were the NTSC broadcast tapes! So when the time came for the DVD release they just cropped and stretched the CGI to 16:9. The result looks, well, roughly how you'd expect it to look, and is particularly bad on larger modern tvs.

http://www.modeemi.fi/~leopold/Babylon5/DVD/DVDTransfer.html#030421proof

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I could see Firefly coming back as an animated special type deal like all that stuff DC pumps out these days. Voice work for a couple hour long animated movies would allow the cast people to do their stuff in between whatever poo poo they were doing normally and it would avoid having to address the fact that it's been more than ten years since Firefly was on TV and River Tam is now old enough to be someones mom.

I just want someone to fund more Reaper or Drive.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

We need a Kickstarter to turn Keifer Sutherland's current show Touch into a new season of 24. It's pretty close anyway, the commercials all make Touch look like Jack Bauer a reasonable, concerned father running around, screaming at and then shooting people while trying to protect America his autistic son.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

The MSJ posted:

The Firefly Kickstarter will happen, and the plot for the new series is that due to mysterious circumstances like that episode of Angel, everyone become puppets. Pledge $150 to get your very own Mal puppet to cuddle all the time.

I would watch that. :stare:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Isizzlehorn posted:

Sony Pictures have picked up the rights to ALF and are currently developing a CGI/live action movie. Hooray! :toot: Just like The Smurfs and The Chipmunks! Oh. :smith:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is there a Sonichu kickstarter yet?

I'd kickstart more Sonichu. Nothing before or since has reached the level of beyond awfulness as Sonichu and I believe that more Sonichu needs to exist.

batphantom
Mar 24, 2001

I know I've been crowing on and on about kickjacking, but dammit, there's something fishy going on with some projects. Now a game called Pulse just finished its run at $80K from a $75K ask. However, according to an article on Polygon there was a last minute backer with $20K. The devs acknowledged this in their update, and that they knew it was coming, but if it hadn't happened they'd have been $15K short. They saw a lot of backers jump on in the last day, but they'd have still been well short. Of course, when that $20K was added they were STILL $4K short, so I guess making it close was enough to bring in a lot of folks on the fence. So is this a more legit application of kickjacking? What's in it for the megabacker? Are they a partner now? Do they expect a return? Obviously the devs owe them nothing more than the reward level states, but I'd like to know more about this one.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
It's possible they worked something out privately. Kickstarter won't let people go above $10000 tiers, I think, and honestly, offering those tiers looks pretty absurd, especially for a small project.

If I was thinking of offering more than a quarter of a project's funding, I don't think I would feel weird contacting them privately and designing my own unofficial reward tier, as it were.

Unless, of course, said new reward tier impacts the promise made to everyone else. Then there's a problem. But I doubt they would risk that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makomk
Jul 16, 2011
I don't think Kickstarter lets you pledge more than $10,000 in one go either, so some trickery was presumably involved to arrange the $20,000 pledge.