Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lobok posted:

You're not wrong Lance Streetman, in that these focus only on a couple or maybe even one element or thing from the movies...

That's what I was taught about minimalism,using the fewer elements possible but trying to keep a message that can be understood, not just throw whatever comes to your mind after watching the movie and be smug about the peasants that didn't get your ~*art*~. From what I know it's very difficult to create, because...well...we have seen it in the several crappy results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's the smugness. Instead of reflecting any emotive or aesthetic properties of the films, the only thing these posters emote is self-satisfaction. "I have presented this film as fine art", says the nerd whose entire definition of fine art is apparently hamfistedly emulating Magritte by way of Saul Bass. "I have elevated it, justifying my obsessions. Let us contemplate this key prop while we sip a vintage Dew."

Wubbles posted:

Implicit smugness?

M.Ciaster posted:

Probably 'cause all these movies already have perfectly good posters, combined with the fact that all these minimalist posters are in-jokes that nobody who hasn't seen the movie already will get.

They're also really loving lazy. A few shapes, a crumbled paper texture, 20 mins in Photoshop and VOILA I'M AN ARTIST :downsbravo:

Yeah, it's mostly that they're really either really bad visual puns or clumsy in-jokes that communicate nothing about the movie.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's the smugness. Instead of reflecting any emotive or aesthetic properties of the films, the only thing these posters emote is self-satisfaction. "I have presented this film as fine art", says the nerd whose entire definition of fine art is apparently hamfistedly emulating Magritte by way of Saul Bass. "I have elevated it, justifying my obsessions. Let us contemplate this key prop while we sip a vintage Dew."

An '84 Dew is simply divine when paired with an artisinal Snickers bar. Hints of oak and nougat.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

zenintrude posted:

BuzzFeed made an extremely bold proclamation today...

24 Unofficial Movie Posters That Are Better Than The Real Posters

They include:

Is bold the right word?

How do you not show the best one. It totally captures the tone of the film.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Desperado Bones posted:

That's what I was taught about minimalism,using the fewer elements possible but trying to keep a message that can be understood, not just throw whatever comes to your mind after watching the movie and be smug about the peasants that didn't get your ~*art*~. From what I know it's very difficult to create, because...well...we have seen it in the several crappy results.

It comes down to knowing three things: What's visually appealing, what's important in your film, and what will make people want to see your movie. Naturally, these people know none of these things.

Since I seem to be on an anime/general Japan streak, I've always loved the poster for Interstella 55555, though I can't put my finger on why.

And this particular Redline poster never fails to put a smile on my face. I know why I like this one, though.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

It comes down to knowing three things: What's visually appealing, what's important in your film, and what will make people want to see your movie. Naturally, these people know none of these things.

Since I seem to be on an anime/general Japan streak, I've always loved the poster for Interstella 55555, though I can't put my finger on why.

It's a giant neon guitar-shaped spaceship. What's not to love?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Lance Streetman posted:

It reminds me quite a bit of a shot from 2001: A Space Odyssey, but with a neon guitar in place of the monolith.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Maarak posted:

It reminds me quite a bit of a shot from 2001: A Space Odyssey, but with a neon guitar in place of the monolith.

2001: Let There Be Rock

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Aatrek posted:

Saw this on Twitter; don't know who made it.

See what happens when you fly home after an evening on martinis, Tony!?

Also, the angle of the enterprise on the original poster just makes me think of

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm a fan of the poster for My Neighbor Totoro myself.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hedenius posted:

How do you not show the best one. It totally captures the tone of the film.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm a fan of the poster for My Neighbor Totoro myself.

That's gotta be an early loving poster, since it's using a design for the girl that isn't actually in the movie.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Oh my god, Love Actually is so bad. I hate everyone who said it was a good movie, and myself for forcing me to finish it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Oh my god, Love Actually is so bad. I hate everyone who said it was a good movie, and myself for forcing me to finish it.

What does that have to do with movie posters?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

axleblaze posted:

What does that have to do with movie posters?

It's on USA right now. My wife is watching it while I try to ignore it, but Hugh Grant is just to charmingly befuddled.

\/\/\/ probably not, but I'm guessing that's why not al-qaeda posted about it :iiam:

beanieson fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 13, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And this has anything to do with movie posters.... why?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wendell posted:

That's gotta be an early loving poster, since it's using a design for the girl that isn't actually in the movie.

It's also one of the most iconic images associated with the film, if the amount of parodies I've seen of it is any indicator.

Also, because this is the Movie Poster Thread...

Honestly, it's better than most of the minimalist posters we see.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also one of the most iconic images associated with the film, if the amount of parodies I've seen of it is any indicator.

Also, because this is the Movie Poster Thread...

I think that is pretty cute-- it doesn't work as a movie poster, but if that were a T-shirt for kids it'd be amazing. :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Suzuki Method posted:

I think that is pretty cute-- it doesn't work as a movie poster, but if that were a T-shirt for kids it'd be amazing. :3:

I think it would also work as just a normal wall poster without the text or with just the title.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I want that poster on my wall. Where can I buy a print?

Spring Mint
Apr 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Actually, I like this a lot and it doesn't make my vision go white with irrational rage like most of the others.

Am I becoming One Of Them?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't know where you can get the print, but Here's the original source, along with a bunch of other minimalist Miyazaki posters.

The majority of them are the usual poo poo.

E: I don't get the whole folded/wrinkled paper texture thing. It seems like it adds a lot of visual business to something that's designed to be simple and clean. Does it make it look more "underground" or whatever?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Spring Mint posted:

Actually, I like this a lot and it doesn't make my vision go white with irrational rage like most of the others.

Am I becoming One Of Them?

Unlike the other "minimalist" posters, that one actually depicts a part of the movie that is easily recognisable without being an in-joke for fans.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't know where you can get the print, but Here's the original source, along with a bunch of other minimalist Miyazaki posters.

The majority of them are the usual poo poo.

E: I don't get the whole folded/wrinkled paper texture thing. It seems like it adds a lot of visual business to something that's designed to be simple and clean. Does it make it look more "underground" or whatever?

It might be nothing more than there may be a Photoshop/Gimp filter that will do the wrinkling.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Terminal Entropy posted:

It might be nothing more than there may be a Photoshop/Gimp filter that will do the wrinkling.

It's exactly this, because I've seen those wrinkle brushes before and overused them way back when I had less taste and common sense than I do now. They're pure pretension, meant to invoke some kind of "classic, worn-in art piece" feel. All it really looks like is someone didn't know how to properly care for a drat poster.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
And without the filter most of these minimalist posters would look like they took about 15 seconds to whip up in MSPaint

of course, with the filter, they don't look much better, but I bet that's part of the motive

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Xenophon posted:

And without the filter most of these minimalist posters would look like they took about 15 seconds to whip up in MSPaint

My favorite part of this thread was when there was a "mininalist" poster for Predator I think that was just 3 dot and the thread was derailed with people just shuffling the dots around to represent other movies. That's all it was, 3 dots.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

See, all of these are poo poo, but this one:

This is the first minimalist poster that made me actually mad. Not because of the lack of effort, or because of some stupid in-joke, but because it's actually a good idea. The scene where Nausicaa takes off her mask is very iconic, but this poster fucks that up. There's no color difference between Nausicaa and the gunship, which makes it impossible to tell that she's flying and not just some kind of weird Ursula Cosplayer. There's no indication that she's flying blind through literal poison ATM, or that she's giving a thumbs up while holding her breath for dear life. Nope. Dude just saw "oh, she's giving the thumbs-up" and thought that was the important part of the scene.

And since I've raged enough about Nausicaa, here are some actual posters:

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Is there a reason why all of the stuff on the poster reads like it was written by someone whose first language isn't English?

edit: Holy poo poo this movie has a theme song that's even more hilarious than that poster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9esbGQauCI

Also:

I love so many things about this poster.

My favorite is that the cat featured is clearly not the same cat in the movie.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Wildeyes posted:

My favorite is that the cat featured is clearly not the same cat in the movie.

Maybe production took several years and they had to do extensive reshoots.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
You wouldn't be saying that if you saw the movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the cat was so distraught about the indignity of being forced to be in such a lovely movie and being voiced by Eric Roberts, that it killed itself before the photo shoot for the DVD cover.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't get the whole folded/wrinkled paper texture thing. It seems like it adds a lot of visual business to something that's designed to be simple and clean. Does it make it look more "underground" or whatever?

It's a distancing effect. Along with the ubiquitous desaturated colours, the aged-paper effect is designed to evoke an unspecified/nonexistent 'past'.

As everyone knows, these designs often have nothing in common with any actual past style. The point is the impersonality: this design does not reflect how I think or feel, but how some other person, occupying another temporal plane might design a poster.

The fictional 'other person' being conjured is also usually, evidently, a sufferer of some autism-spectrum disorder that causes them to stare with reptilian fascination at (say) the toothpick in Gosling's mouth throughout a viewing of Drive.

To the designers of these posters, this twofold emotional/mental detachment is 'cool'. Not only do I not care, I am pretending to be an alien who cares even less.

This is why the 'minimalism' isn't actually the problem. The same problem affects the Jurassic Park posters done up as 1950s travelogues, or turn-of-last-century circus posters featuring digital illustrations of a how a t-rex is understood circa 20XX.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 14, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's a distancing effect. Along with the ubiquitous desaturated colours, the aged-paper effect is designed to evoke an unspecified/nonexistent 'past'.

As everyone knows, these designs often have nothing in common with any actual past style. The point is the impersonality: this design does not reflect how I think or feel, but how some other person, occupying another temporal plane might design a poster.

The fictional 'other person' being conjured is also usually, evidently, a sufferer of some autism-spectrum disorder that causes them to stare with reptilian fascination at (say) the toothpick in Gosling's mouth throughout a viewing of Drive.

To the designers of these posters, this twofold emotional/mental detachment is 'cool'. Not only do I not care, I am pretending to be an alien who cares even less.

This is why the 'minimalism' isn't actually the problem. The same problem affects the Jurassic Park posters done up as 1950s travelogues, or turn-of-last-century circus posters featuring digital illustrations of a how a t-rex id understood circa 20XX.

See, that's what I don't get. I understand using an aged paper filter to make something look older. But that usually involves making the paper yellower and slightly deteriorated or desaturated. You only crumple a piece of paper up if you don't need it, or if it wasn't what you wanted. They're basically saying "this wasn't good enough to be displayed and worn down, don't give it the time of day."

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Xenophon posted:

of course, with the filter, they don't look much better, but I bet that's part of the motive

I think this is the best explanation. Without paper creases most minimalist posters would look like really simple vector art and it'd be hard to tell they were meant to be posters to begin with.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Lance Streetman posted:

See, that's what I don't get. I understand using an aged paper filter to make something look older. But that usually involves making the paper yellower and slightly deteriorated or desaturated. You only crumple a piece of paper up if you don't need it, or if it wasn't what you wanted. They're basically saying "this wasn't good enough to be displayed and worn down, don't give it the time of day."

There's two possibilities here:

1) The minimalist postermongers are thinking that crumpled-up paper gives the impression of something lost and then rediscovered, so it's a relic rather than simply being old and thus has value as well as antiquity.

2) The minimalist postermongers aren't thinking at all.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
To most of these designers it's just texture. Without texture, the images don't even have the illusion of depth and look pretty fuckin terrible.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Avshalom posted:

There's two possibilities here:

1) The minimalist postermongers are thinking that crumpled-up paper gives the impression of something lost and then rediscovered, so it's a relic rather than simply being old and thus has value as well as antiquity.

Again, that's not how people store papers. Even posters that people aren't trying to preserve are rolled up and put in boxes or tubes. So the clear answer is:

Avshalom posted:

2) The minimalist postermongers aren't thinking at all.

Which sums up a large number of art fad groupies pretty well.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Lance Streetman posted:

You got it. Honestly, various paper textures thrown around with little regard for how appropriate they are, or what meaning they carry, is pretty endemic to entry-level graphic design. I'm halfway through a design degree, and putting an arbitrary paper texture on my work reliably adds ten points to my final mark. There's a lot of depth in good design - but as with everything else, 90% of designers are crap and they really don't think beyond "It looks pretty".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Lance Streetman posted:

Again, that's not how people store papers. Even posters that people aren't trying to preserve are rolled up and put in boxes or tubes. So the clear answer is:

Up to a certain point movie posters were shipped folded and not rolled like they are today. So a lot of old posters have creases in them from being folded. They basically trying to make the posters look "vintage".