Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I don't think the boss guy gives you anything except the gun. You get the glass eye or beret from Nasri.

What I never got about Hong Shi is that you go into his mission knowing he's been doing business with Al-Samad (you even say "I'm a friend of the sheik" when you meet him) so how is finding out that he's working with Al-Samad a surprise when you find it out during the Triad mission? I guess just put it down to the fact that parts of the game didn't get the fine -tooth comb treatment they really should have.

To be honest, the whole Triad quest line is just a preamble to the main plot of the hub (assassination/Mr. Anime Secret Police) so it doesn't need to matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Finished Rome last night, successfully slept with Madison, then saved her life. I gotta say, that's probably the first time the scenes with Leland 'felt' right; in previous playthroughs, all his talk about regretting a person he cared about being hurt/etc never felt right because Thorton had a neutral relationship with Madison at best, and on others they utterly despised each other. But it worked out quite nicely this time, and Madison's message about leaving forever so no more people would die was rather poignant...up until I clicked on her headband and Thorton goes "Gee wonder if she'll call me soon :v: "

Still, I'm on the final leg in Moscow, and I'm really playing up the recruit Thorton traumatized by Rome; the clean-shaven fresh-faced look is now a pale, disheveled mess, instead of playing a mixture of suave and professional Thorton has become erratic, beating Grigori down in the bar (I love that he still gives you the weapons hook-up after, but out of fear) and attacking SIE for no reason (luckily, she likes this). It's been a fun character arc and I almost don't know what Thorton is going to do next!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Wolfsheim posted:

Finished Rome last night, successfully slept with Madison, then saved her life. I gotta say, that's probably the first time the scenes with Leland 'felt' right; in previous playthroughs, all his talk about regretting a person he cared about being hurt/etc never felt right because Thorton had a neutral relationship with Madison at best, and on others they utterly despised each other. But it worked out quite nicely this time, and Madison's message about leaving forever so no more people would die was rather poignant...up until I clicked on her headband and Thorton goes "Gee wonder if she'll call me soon :v: "

Still, I'm on the final leg in Moscow, and I'm really playing up the recruit Thorton traumatized by Rome; the clean-shaven fresh-faced look is now a pale, disheveled mess, instead of playing a mixture of suave and professional Thorton has become erratic, beating Grigori down in the bar (I love that he still gives you the weapons hook-up after, but out of fear) and attacking SIE for no reason (luckily, she likes this). It's been a fun character arc and I almost don't know what Thorton is going to do next!

I do love how satisfying roleplaying a Thorton can be, especially after multiple playthroughs. It's nice how Thorton can surprise you even after you've played the game a few times.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wolfsheim posted:

My favourite part of that is the consequences of smashing up Grigori - namely that he sends an email terrified out of his wits to the American embassy, and when you go there they have marines instead of security guards. And not only that, but if you rock up in heavy armour they assume you're their backup!

It's such a wonderful little series of consequences.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Two Finger posted:

My favourite part of that is the consequences of smashing up Grigori - namely that he sends an email terrified out of his wits to the American embassy, and when you go there they have marines instead of security guards. And not only that, but if you rock up in heavy armour they assume you're their backup!

Also if you're professional with Surkov, he's thrown off because Grigori reported you as being a loose cannon rear end in a top hat, and yet here you are being all pleasant and friendly.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Two Finger posted:

I'm rocking the heavy armor on this playthrough, so this is definitely happening. Though it's funny how much less effective rolling assault rifles, heavy armor and pumping endurance + CQC is compared to stealth + pistols and walking around in a shirt. I guess being a glass cannon doesn't matter when the enemy doesn't see you and you can headshot him from behind cover. Still, I like barely surviving and clinging to life on the tougher missions with every alarm in a two-mile radius going off, bumbling from one objective to the next.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Just beat the game on my recruit, ended up getting like five achievements at once because I didn't kill anyone and talked Leland into letting me join Halbech. It's funny, the final section of the game is filled with bullshit I hate; prolonged firefights, turrets, difficult hacking and sections that close off, but the final conversation you have with Leland in the Graybox is hands down the best part of the game. Both VAs just nail it, and in many ways it's much more tense than anything else in the game, excepting maybe the first conversation with Marburg. Leland is such an unrepentant rear end in a top hat that it was hard not to choose the option where you punch him in the face then and there, but I knew I'd have a second chance to betray him, and God was it sweet.

Also; why on earth are there cash and weapon mod drops in the final bit at all? To trick you into thinking you'll get to use them? I was so annoyed when I spent precious EMPs hacking various safes and computers only to get like $1500 for it.

Also also; in Moscow, even though I was wearing the chunkiest combat armor possible the embassy marines only gave me the option to awkwardly ask about Surkov and fight them. A bug or is there something more specific to do to trick them into thinking I'm reinforcements?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Wolfsheim posted:

Just beat the game on my recruit, ended up getting like five achievements at once because I didn't kill anyone and talked Leland into letting me join Halbech. It's funny, the final section of the game is filled with bullshit I hate; prolonged firefights, turrets, difficult hacking and sections that close off, but the final conversation you have with Leland in the Graybox is hands down the best part of the game. Both VAs just nail it, and in many ways it's much more tense than anything else in the game, excepting maybe the first conversation with Marburg. Leland is such an unrepentant rear end in a top hat that it was hard not to choose the option where you punch him in the face then and there, but I knew I'd have a second chance to betray him, and God was it sweet.

Also; why on earth are there cash and weapon mod drops in the final bit at all? To trick you into thinking you'll get to use them? I was so annoyed when I spent precious EMPs hacking various safes and computers only to get like $1500 for it.

Also also; in Moscow, even though I was wearing the chunkiest combat armor possible the embassy marines only gave me the option to awkwardly ask about Surkov and fight them. A bug or is there something more specific to do to trick them into thinking I'm reinforcements?

You have to take the right tack with them, I wanna say going straight professional. If you get angry at them, they call to see if you are who you say you are. I think.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

You have to take the right tack with them, I wanna say going straight professional. If you get angry at them, they call to see if you are who you say you are. I think.
You should be able to bluff the guards with professional and veteran.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If you smash Grigori's face in (or otherwise freak him out?) he gets super frightened and tells the Embassy to beef up security. That's another (or the?) way to get them to think you are the extra security if you're wearing heavy armor.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It also makes protecting Surkov easier because then the guards won't die off like flies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Okay, on my third playthrough. How does one get Marburg to kill Parker? Does doing so let you kill Marburg? What if I turn Parker and Marburg?

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Endgame spoilers:

StashAugustine posted:

Okay, on my third playthrough. How does one get Marburg to kill Parker?

Make sure to collect all the intel about Marburg, especially in his villa (remember to buy the map from the Clearinghouse). During your final meeting with him, pick Deus Vult when prompted.

quote:

Does doing so let you kill Marburg?

No, he becomes your ally.

quote:

What if I turn Parker and Marburg?

I think you're only able to turn one of them, but I might be wrong.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

It also makes protecting Surkov easier because then the guards won't die off like flies.

Since I had to fight my way in and Surkov hated me for it, this had the added affect of making literally everyone attack me when I got to the courtyard. And I couldn't just waste them all, either, since I was going for the 'bang all ladies' achievement and Mina gets really uptight about killing American citizens, so I basically had to run around knocking out all the guards (who stopped fighting G22 as soon as I arrived) and then pick off the eight or so G22 guys entirely alone. Had to pop quite a few Iron Wills and first aid kits on that one.

I love that if Surkov hates you, he draws a gun on you at this point too. After disarming him I was tempted to take the 'cripple' option but decided since I would kinda end up doing it later anyway it would be overkill. Maybe on a more psychotic playthrough.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just wish they patched that bug where they consider you having killed marines if you snuck in through the roof. That's the only problem I had with the game bugwise.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Make sure to collect all the intel about Marburg, especially in his villa (remember to buy the map from the Clearinghouse). During your final meeting with him, pick Deus Vult when prompted.
I think that you also need to have enough intel on Parker to show that he was the one who burned Marburg before you can pick that option.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

I just wish they patched that bug where they consider you having killed marines if you snuck in through the roof. That's the only problem I had with the game bugwise.

I was considered to have killed them even though I only knocked them out and never even touched that rooftop door; but not in the Moscow conversations with Leland this time, only at the end when he was listing reasons the US government would hate me. Definitely a weird bug.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Grr just accidentally slept with Madison. I was using the professional responses just to see if I could get her to admit that Parker's her father but missed out on a 'leave' option.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vlad the Retailer posted:

I think you're only able to turn one of them, but I might be wrong.

I'm pretty sure I turned both in one playthrough. You just have to have enough intel and a high enough friendship score to flip Marburg and at the same time you have to have trumped Parker's projections in at least two hubs to flip him without pissing him off about Marburg killing his daughter. If you tell Parker about Madison, he'll "join" you but try to kill Marburg even if you flipped him (ending with him dead as usual, though I think the fight there just becomes "kill a bunch of guys") but if you flip Marburg and ruined Parker's projections enough times, Marburg will leave/kill Leland for you and the Parker boss fight will be protecting him from Leland's agents until he's able to escape.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Yep... gonna have to do another AP playthrough now. Thanks a lot thread.

content: Once I get a little more money, I want to buy this game proper from a retailer. I bought it used at GameStop for like 8 bucks. Which was a steal, but also a shame because it shows how under-appreciated this game is. I need to give this team my money directly.

edit: I'm considering a full-on rear end in a top hat Thorton. Shoot first and never ask questions never. All violence all the time. I assume he'll need a huge beard?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

El Tortuga posted:

content: Once I get a little more money, I want to buy this game proper from a retailer. I bought it used at GameStop for like 8 bucks. Which was a steal, but also a shame because it shows how under-appreciated this game is. I need to give this team my money directly.
Then you should buy Project Eternity when that comes out instead, because Obsidian doesn't see a cent of AP's sales anymore but will get all of PE's sales.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 13, 2013

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Accordion Man posted:

Then you should buy the South Park RPG or especially Project Eternity when they come out instead, because Obsidian doesn't see a cent of AP's sales anymore.

Good to know. Also, we all should buy South Park: The Stick of Truth. Not just for support but, gently caress, it's a South Park turn-based RPG spoofing a fantasy-setting in the original art-style of the show that's written by Matt Stone and Trey Parker and developed by Obsidian where you create your own main-character using one of those ever-so-popular South Park character-creators. How can that not be amazing? And it's not like it can be any worse than the Nintendo 64 South Park game.

Wikipedia shows the game is supposed to be released on April 30th, according the last bit of news. But the game was going to be released by THQ, but after they went bankrupt Ubisoft bought the publishing rights. I don't know if that changed the release date but I haven't seen any promotional material anywhere.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm just playing through for the first time right now, and while there are a number of genuine criticisms of the game (the controls, particularly the menu controls are janky as gently caress, and it's not particularly well-optimised), and it's not quite on the level of, say, DX:HR's polish, I'm left wondering why no-one told me that a Stirling Archer simulator existed? :)

I'm trying to remain spoiler-free, but just with regards to weapon selection; can I make it through the game with just the pistol, stealth, and the submachinegun, or am I gimping myself? Will there be any encounters in particular that I'll find extremely difficult?

Breetai fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 13, 2013

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

gently caress the SMG. Stealth and pistols are all you need. Personally though, I like Stealth+Martial Arts the best and only use the pistol when I have to.

So the answer to your question is yes you can. You won't be gimping yourself. (I would put a few points into non-weapon skills though)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Breetai posted:

I'm trying to remain spoiler-free, but just with regards to weapon selection; can I make it through the game with just the pistol, stealth, and the submachinegun, or am I gimping myself?

The pistol is an avatar of destruction in this game. You'd be fine with it alone.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Breetai posted:

I'm trying to remain spoiler-free, but just with regards to weapon selection; can I make it through the game with just the pistol, stealth, and the submachinegun, or am I gimping myself?
No, you're far from screwing yourself, stealth and pistols are two of the best skills in the game.

Dec 26, 2012

Breetai posted:

Pistol and stealth are the most overpowered skill trees, so absolutely. SMG is very workable but doesn't really break stride until you get the upgrade to Bulletstorm.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Breetai posted:

I'm trying to remain spoiler-free, but just with regards to weapon selection; can I make it through the game with just the pistol, stealth, and the submachinegun, or am I gimping myself? Will there be any encounters in particular that I'll find extremely difficult?

Probably, use stealth/pistols to take everyone down without being seen, use SMGs on alerted people. There are one or two encounters where ARs are a better choice, but there's ways to circumvent that.

Also, almost to the end of the game (game crashed at heli fight) and I turned Marburg and Parker. I had Marburg's file up to 100, but hadn't maxed Parker's yet, so I didn't name names, but I did get the Agent of Change perk. Parker I told about Madison- how do you get Flawed Analysis? I know one way is leaving Shaheed alive but I thought there were others. Andyway, Parker pulled a gun and Marburg stabbed him, whereupon I got in a boss fight with Marburg. I was a little disappointed at how they handled Scarlet's reveal: she just goes "Oh, by the way I'm a freelance assassin who murdered Sung." and Michael's all "eh, whatever."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

01011001 posted:

Pistol and stealth are the most overpowered skill trees, so absolutely. SMG is very workable but doesn't really break stride until you get the upgrade to Bulletstorm.
They're terrible in boss fights, though. Keep that in mind.

Dec 26, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

They're terrible in boss fights, though. Keep that in mind.

I assume you mean SMGs? I didn't have much of a problem with bosses on my SMG-using runs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Probably, use stealth/pistols to take everyone down without being seen, use SMGs on alerted people. There are one or two encounters where ARs are a better choice, but there's ways to circumvent that.

Also, almost to the end of the game (game crashed at heli fight) and I turned Marburg and Parker. I had Marburg's file up to 100, but hadn't maxed Parker's yet, so I didn't name names, but I did get the Agent of Change perk. Parker I told about Madison- how do you get Flawed Analysis? I know one way is leaving Shaheed alive but I thought there were others. Andyway, Parker pulled a gun and Marburg stabbed him, whereupon I got in a boss fight with Marburg. I was a little disappointed at how they handled Scarlet's reveal: she just goes "Oh, by the way I'm a freelance assassin who murdered Sung." and Michael's all "eh, whatever."

There's at least two other reveals possible for Scarlet, assuming you get one at all. One is an message from Omen Deng, who tells you everything, and the other is her just showing up to shoot you in the gut when you have Leland dead to rights and he mocks you as he explains the situation.

Then she can shoot him because he didn't pay her enough, and Heck can shoot her. LOT of branching there.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was how my first playthrough ended and it was amazing. Scarlet shot me, I saw Heck sneaking up behind her but figured I'd see how the situation played out. I convinced Scarlet to shoot Leland, then "Now Steven!" and he wasted her. Proper action movie ending.

The only better one was when I managed to get Marburg walking away AND Scarlet shooting Thorton both at once. That's the Canon Ending as far as I'm concerned. Wait, did someone say that if your Rep with Marburg is high enough he'll kill Leland himself instead of walking away? Is that true?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

01011001 posted:

I assume you mean SMGs? I didn't have much of a problem with bosses on my SMG-using runs.
SMGs, yeah. I don't know if I did something wrong, but a full level-three bulletstorm at near point-blank range would take off maybe a quarter of Marburg's health.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

chiasaur11 posted:

There's at least two other reveals possible for Scarlet, assuming you get one at all. One is an message from Omen Deng, who tells you everything, and the other is her just showing up to shoot you in the gut when you have Leland dead to rights and he mocks you as he explains the situation.

Then she can shoot him because he didn't pay her enough, and Heck can shoot her. LOT of branching there.

You actually missed my favorite reveal.

Instead of going to save Mina, you can find her in the interrogation room at the Graybox if you slept with her and she'll confess everything to you and you can make her your handler.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

You actually missed my favorite reveal.

Instead of going to save Mina, you can find her in the interrogation room at the Graybox if you slept with her and she'll confess everything to you and you can make her your handler.
You can actually find this out right before you leave for the Greybox . If she likes you enough and you persuade her she will admit she set up you to get burned and that's she CIA.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Accordion Man posted:

You can actually find this out right before you leave for the Greybox . If she likes you enough and you persuade her she will admit she set up you to get burned and that's she CIA.

:aaaaa:

SERIOUSLY? Does this still happen if you sleep with her or only if you don't? I'm assuming that is the same mission, where she's standing on the balcony? It's clear then that she has unusual skills but I didn't realize she'd confess then!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

:aaaaa:

SERIOUSLY? Does this still happen if you sleep with her or only if you don't? I'm assuming that is the same mission, where she's standing on the balcony? It's clear then that she has unusual skills but I didn't realize she'd confess then!

He's mistaken about characters, actually. Mina is the one who'll potentially tell you she's NSA before the final Graybox mission, but also has a trigger during that mission for the same reveal. Scarlet only has the three: Omen Deng's call, shooting you at the end and finding her in the interrogation room.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

RandallODim posted:

He's mistaken about characters, actually. Mina is the one who'll potentially tell you she's NSA before the final Graybox mission, but also has a trigger during that mission for the same reveal. Scarlet only has the three: Omen Deng's call, shooting you at the end and finding her in the interrogation room.

Oh okay, I knew about the other character doing that but I was about to load the game back up and play again because I never had that interaction.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Oh yeah sorry, I can't believe I read that wrong.

Though you don't have to romance Scarlet for her to join you she just needs to like you enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
People weren't joking about how effective Pistols and Stealth were; I just finished my first ever (completely spoiler-free!) playthough, and using them kicked rear end throughout the entire game. I finished off with a level 20 operative, with full points in pistols, stealth, and sabotage, and nearly as much as you can put in a non-specialty skill in technical.

e: build:

Cloaking, walking right into the middle of a pack of thugs, and blasting them all in a half-second of bullet-time is almost as fun as cloaking and running around knifing them in the throat one after another while they mill about in confusion and wonder why their buddies are suddenly bleeding out in front of them. Also, the pistol is the best sniper rifle. Boss battles were fairly trivial because of the pistol, tho.

I ended up getting all of the romances just by constantly being either a smug prick or a hotheaded rear end in a top hat (Sie was... interesting:stare:, and pissed off just about everyone but my handlers and that crazy motherfucker in Taipei, who decided that he was my bestest buddy.

In the end I spared everyone who could be spared, with the exception of that smug cockhead Leland, because gently caress him - and boy did they make killing him look extra-satisfying.

I'm not sure why this game got such a bad rap. Sure skills aren't completely balanced, and there are signs that it's definitely a bit of a rushed console port in that aspects of the interface lack a little polish and load times/delays in opening menus were frankly horrendous, but it was an extremely fun game that made it feel like every action you took had actual consequences beyond, say, the standard bioware pet-the-puppy/kick-the-puppy 'morality' choices. Why were people so negative towards it?

Breetai fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 24, 2013

• Locked thread