Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.

Looks like someone else is on a ship built by STX/OSV. Love those Stress Less chairs. Our wheelhouse is full of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

StopShootingMe posted:

Looks like someone else is on a ship built by STX/OSV. Love those Stress Less chairs. Our wheelhouse is full of them.

That's so nice. Our chief had me and the 3rd making monstrous console-height chairs out of a bunch of chairs the deck guys got that were too low for anything they needed. We welded 16" leg extensions on them.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Motor? What the gently caress is that poo poo where's steam and gas turbine?

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

lightpole posted:

Double barrel tickets aren't super common these days, but (in Aus at least) you can sit your Steam Endorsement with no steam time. It's 16 weeks on each form of propulsion for a dual ticket.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lightpole posted:

Qualified for gas turbines, not steam

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Steam is for real engineers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah, yeah, mmmk, sure. When can you be on stand by?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
From cold iron or with boilers online? Cold iron takes a day but diesel is slow as well, with boilers online just gotta spend a couple minutes to warm up the turbines and then open the stop. 30 minutes warning maybe, nbd, diesels need the same.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

StopShootingMe posted:

the competition Ulstein :ssh: but still STX/OSV design is the official smugdog of OSV

:smugdog:

fake edit: someone make an animated gif of a pair sunglasses falling down on the bridge and saying deal with it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Trench_Rat posted:

fake edit: someone make an animated gif of a pair sunglasses falling down on the bridge and saying deal with it

I just did groceries on a Sunday afternoon. Jesus gently caress, I never want to reproduce and I kind of want to go back to sea just so I can do the groceries on a weekday... When I have to do the groceries.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I've just spent the last 6 months of the summer season on an Antarctic research/resupply ship. Just got a call from an offshore mob and looks like I'll be going off to an offshore support boat (FOS Polaris) for a few weeks. GOnna be a rude shock.

Would love to jump on one of those new offshore ships. they look so comfy!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Trench_Rat posted:

show me your teak floored ballroom ECR not seen on the photo is the couch/coffe break area and the 63" TV

are you serious? is that a loving ECR? that is amazing.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

pazrs posted:

No real good pics of the ECR, few quirky ones.

Oh no!

The famous DevCon cock 'n balls. Will probably outlive the ship!

Here's our boiler art

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Sludge Tank posted:

are you serious? is that a loving ECR? that is amazing.

when there is a 78% illegal trade distorting subsidy tax refund for "investments" in the offshore industry you get to have nice things

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
Nice to see this thread is still going. I think I'll be transferring into the job I originally applied for at this company shoreside, won't be driving the robots anymore, will actually be launching/recovering them and fixing them. Pay is still pretty crappy compared to sea, but I'm only working 3-4 days a week which ain't too bad. With all this free time though I'm burniing through cash on all sorts of toys.

I'll admit it's real tough watching my classmates make 110k+ working half the year right now, but I think I can always go back to sea if I get really desperate.

Lightpole what shoreside jobs are you looking at if you don't mind sharing?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
You are in the Bay so call up local 39 dispatch in between 1000 and 1100 and grab a list of journeyman engineer jobs. It will cost $20 if you aren't in the union. Jobs in the city should start around $45/hr, right now UCSF Mission Bay is looking to hire a whole bunch of engineers soonish I think. Crockett Cogen needs another operator or two and a supervisor as well and then there's whatever other hotel or hospital or whatever jobs through the local 39 dispatch. I am only thinking about going shoreside and haven't applied, gonna hit the hall up this week since all my stuff is finished.

SF also has some good city jobs and I have another buddy working in a power plant in Hayward. Sometimes it's luck of the draw if something that interests you is open or you have contacts that can get you in.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 9, 2013

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
The union meeting today consisted of the President and CP bitching about how the schools aren't directing cadets into sailing careers. The cadets are going into sailing careers, just not the union ons since they don't pay.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
Last meeting I went to they were saying the same thing, everyone is going to the oil field. With MEBA and AMO it feels like a race to the bottom with wages, companies are pitting them against one another so each keeps underbidding to keep the contract.

lightpole posted:

You are in the Bay so call up local 39 dispatch in between 1000 and 1100 and grab a list of journeyman engineer jobs. It will cost $20 if you aren't in the union. Jobs in the city should start around $45/hr, right now UCSF Mission Bay is looking to hire a whole bunch of engineers soonish I think. Crockett Cogen needs another operator or two and a supervisor as well and then there's whatever other hotel or hospital or whatever jobs through the local 39 dispatch. I am only thinking about going shoreside and haven't applied, gonna hit the hall up this week since all my stuff is finished.

SF also has some good city jobs and I have another buddy working in a power plant in Hayward. Sometimes it's luck of the draw if something that interests you is open or you have contacts that can get you in.

Ah ok that kind of shore work. My friend's dad has a connection at the power plant in Hayward or Watsonville. I'm going to stick this out for the year though at the very least to get my stock options, then think about going back out to sea to fill up the coffers again.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
There's always field service if you want but you may as well just sail in that case. One of my friends just started working for Foss as well so there's that. That's a pretty big range of jobs that pays more than the union does.

Edit: I've been talking to some seniors about to graduate and they all talk about Noble, Seadrill and Chouest is always at the top.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wait, new grads are getting hired at places like Noble and Seadrill from the other academies? I'm at the wrong school, they push the lakes companies and MSC so hard here, it's ridiculous.

It seems like there are some good jobs in the union but they are fewer every year, the longest of long shots for someone who doesn't have like 30 years in the union, and basically require you to live in some ludicrously expensive part of California. Some of the guys at Matson always said they made more money there than they could in the Gulf, but even if it's true the living expenses they were talking about destroyed it.

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 10, 2013

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
You in Cal Maritime?

From what I've gathered, offshore oil and gas companies seem to prefer grads right out of school over merchant mariners with a couple years experience. I guess they can train them the way they want then...?

If you want to go that route, I think Transocean is easiest to break into, get some time with them under your belt then transfer to a higher paying company.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
He is at Great Lakes. Do you get a bachelors out of there? The degree helps with finding jobs otherwise you are prolly going to want a 1sts or chiefs.

You just need group 1 which is around 900-1000 days of sailing time or around 5 years with a good permanent job. After that you try for a permanent chief or 1sts Matson job and then live wherever. You get a friend in Reno or a PO box so you can avoid paying CA state tax (I don't do this but plenty of people do) and then it's just living expenses. I would move out of the Bay but the problem is all the money is here or LA. gently caress the Central Valley that place is a shithole and I hate SoCal. Plus my family is here and I pay really cheap rent to a roommate who watches my dogs and knows my dad. I have a 40 minute commute to the hall which means I don't have to keep track of who is getting off ships when and can just show up at the hall and pick up night work and whatever good jobs go through. Flying out to other ports is just a waste of my time off, I want to be home or at work, not sitting around hoping to get something. These are all things you need to think about when shipping.

If you want to go to the oil patch, like Fish says, fresh out of school is one point at which you can get in, the other is once you have a seconds or better and a decent amount of experience. People go everywhere at CMA except into the unions lately. Wages in the union are stagnant or fell while everywhere else they are poo poo hot for someone with an engineering background so people go where they get paid. If you want to head to the west coast just look through the previous posts for anything that interests you, that specific opening might not be there but something similar will be or go through field service with GE, Seimens, Westinghouse, Solar Turbines, Cat, PIC, etc, etc. The people looking to sail were mainly talking about Edison Chouest I think.

I haven't figured out what I want to do yet so I'm not trying too hard but I have been networking which is one of the best ways depending on the company.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 10, 2013

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Our bachelor's is useless. It's a business degree. I'm not bothering with it!
I was impatient, so I went here for my license, probably should've gone to Cal for that engineering degree and gone shoreside like everyone else, but I enjoyed going out as a cadet and would like to ship at least for a while. I don't know, the oil patch sounds good but only getting 1 day off for sailing 2 days is pretty annoying.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Our bachelor's is useless. It's a business degree. I'm not bothering with it!
I'm quoting this for posterity, for when you come back in five years to do a degree, any degree, to check the box on your job applications so you can move ashore.

Seriously getting my bachelor's was the best move ever, and the government basically ended up paying for it via tax deductions and so on. :smugdog: :canada: (I think the bachelor cost me something like 5-6 grands, part time distance learning. My diploma in nautical science was like... $700 in tuition, total. Students get some kick-rear end tax write offs.)

shovelbum posted:

only getting 1 day off for sailing 2 days is pretty annoying.

Dude, you're on the great lakes. Last company I was with, the standard was three months on one (unpaid) off.

Edit: Oh hey looks like I picked up a custom text. Sweet! Too bad the poor butthurt GBSer didn't know how to use red text.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 10, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I'm quoting this for posterity, for when you come back in five years to do a degree, any degree, to check the box on your job applications so you can move ashore.

Seriously getting my bachelor's was the best move ever, and the government basically ended up paying for it via tax deductions and so on. :smugdog: :canada: (I think the bachelor cost me something like 5-6 grands, part time distance learning. My diploma in nautical science was like... $700 in tuition, total. Students get some kick-rear end tax write offs.)

Dude, you're on the great lakes. Last company I was with, the standard was three months on one (unpaid) off.

Edit: Oh hey looks like I picked up a custom text. Sweet! Too bad the poor butthurt GBSer didn't know how to use red text.

I hope I got given one too, I liked the guy who said that I was obviously just a diehard cruise enthusiast for pointing out he was wrong about things.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

I hope I got given one too, I liked the guy who said that I was obviously just a diehard cruise enthusiast for pointing out he was wrong about things.

Nope, you're still a stupid newbie.

I keep meaning to change it to Stupid Engineer, but :effort:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That would be pretty awesome, actually. You could also do stupid third?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

I already have a degree in "any degree"!
Well, actually in Classics.

I should get a "stupid cadet" avatar. Baby in a little uniform.

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 10, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

shovelbum posted:

I already have a degree in "any degree"!
Well, actually in Classics.

I should get a "stupid cadet" avatar. Baby in a little uniform.

Since it's no longer me, I'm choosing you for the official thread cadet.

Perks include:

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I'm still an eng cadet...

I'm doing my college all the way up to Chiefs in one go. Which in Aus is now a degree also.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wait you just walk out of school as an unlimited Chief? What?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I would think it similar to the dutch system where you have completed all your writtens but still have to get the seatime. Mine's done the same way, when I go back for second's and chief's I only need to get my EK's.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

shovelbum posted:

Wait you just walk out of school as an unlimited Chief? What?

Nah you have just done all your theory.

The basic 10 steps are:

1. Pre-Sea Course at college.
2. Go away to sea do 9 months as a cadet.
3. Do Watch keepers College.
4. Do Seconds and Chiefs College.
5. Sit orals for Watch keeper. You must have done 36 months of college or have an approved trade.
6. Sail as a Watch keeper get 15 months sea time.
7. Sit orals for Class 2.
8. Sail as a deucer get 15 months sea time.
9. Sit orals for Class 1/Chiefs.
10. Sail as chief. Get $$$.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

pazrs posted:

Nah you have just done all your theory.

The basic 10 steps are:

1. Pre-Sea Course at college.
2. Go away to sea do 9 months as a cadet.
3. Do Watch keepers College.
4. Do Seconds and Chiefs College.
5. Sit orals for Watch keeper. You must have done 36 months of college or have an approved trade.
6. Sail as a Watch keeper get 15 months sea time.
7. Sit orals for Class 2.
8. Sail as a deucer get 15 months sea time.
9. Sit orals for Class 1/Chiefs.
10. Sail as chief. Get $$$.

So how many sea days or years experience do you have between starting and walking out with a Chief ticket? I really wouldn't feel comfortable sailing chief without at least 10-15 years sailing experience, not to sound overly pessimistic, but there are too many things that can go wrong out there and usually do.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's basically the same as ours, which is a solid three years of seatime between 3rd's and chief's. Given that you'd be usually working no more than half of that, that's 6 or 7 years?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

That's basically the same as ours, which is a solid three years of seatime between 3rd's and chief's. Given that you'd be usually working no more than half of that, that's 6 or 7 years?

That's pretty much simillar to our OOW - Master Mariner process, which I guess you can shorten to 24 months if you really gun it (Chief mate time counts double). Obviously, nobody's gonna give a fresh faced 25 year old a Captain's job unless they're thoroughly stupid.

Mind you, I sailed with a 29 year old Captain, he was pretty drat good.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Mind you, I sailed with a 29 year old Captain, he was pretty drat good.

To be a 29 year old Captain, you'd HAVE to be pretty drat good. I once knew a first engineer who was under 30, the guy was a loving legend.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
What's so hard about it? Sail a bunch, upgrade and don't be dumb.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Fish Shalami posted:

Nice to see this thread is still going. I think I'll be transferring into the job I originally applied for at this company shoreside, won't be driving the robots anymore, will actually be launching/recovering them and fixing them.
Who are you working for? If you don't want it public, drop me an email at my username at gmail. I'm entering the same field as you (coming from oceanography), except the company I'm working for makes underwater robots that guide themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Fish Shalami posted:

So how many sea days or years experience do you have between starting and walking out with a Chief ticket? I really wouldn't feel comfortable sailing chief without at least 10-15 years sailing experience, not to sound overly pessimistic, but there are too many things that can go wrong out there and usually do.

No one would give you a job sailing as chief without 10-15 years experience. The above is just for the ticket.

In fact I think BP Require 6 years sea time as a deucer on a tanker before you can sail as chief on one.

• Locked thread