Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011

spootime posted:

Not so much griefing as it is just playing in a creative style but I've played against this guy in lobbies and he is really good. That being said fan scout is legit as gently caress.

Fan was so overpowered for a while that a lot of servers banned it. The knockback wasn't dependent on how many pellets actually landed, so even a grazing hit on someone would send them flying (it also did WAY too much damage to be balanced). It was so good for griefing snipers, I would go to 2fort and launch them off their stupid little balcony without killing them, just to be a jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's some psychological quirk at work there, because that exact behavior is true across a huge swathe of games.

When I played a lot of CoD with a group, we often pulled out 'gimmicky poo poo' to kill people with, and they'd get mad as gently caress when you killed their leet noscope snipes 24/7 360 build with C4 or an RPG or whatever.

What's really funny is that when your entire team is, say, running around with RPGs out first and foremost, part way through the match, one or more of the enemy team will pull out an RPG (and fail miserably with it).

The thing about quirky poo poo like that is that with enough practice, you can learn to use it to its maximum potential (seems obvious, right?). Now, that maximum potential is usually pretty low - there's a good reason ~pro esports~ players don't necessarily use quirky poo poo - because it usually isn't good enough to stand up to 'better' weapons.

But in public matches against your usual lovely players? You can do well with just about anything.

We would always declare moral victory if one or more players on the opposing team switched to whatever gimmicky build we were using to try to out-gimmick us. It's a pity we usually had non friends chat off, because informing them of this moral victory would make them spitting mad (even without the ability to actually talk to them, I still had a mailbox full of voice and text messages with varying degrees of incoherent rage).

I detest 'common wisdom' about how a given competitive game should be played. When I did play competitive games, god forgive me, my clan/guild/~proesportsteam~/whatever never, ever got along with the rest of the community we were in, because my teammates all shared a similar philosphy towards gaming.

Which isn't the same thing as "I only play low tier!!1!" in fighting games, there's a difference between intelligently using and experimenting with all tools at your disposal to learn what does and does not work, and using the worst tools and then declaring that you lost because your tools were poor :P

The fact that experimenting in that manner genuinely pisses people off is both hilarious and one of the great mysterious wonders of griefing.

victrix fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 13, 2013

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

That's what happens in Hawken. I play Grenadier, which is widely considered one of the worst mechs because it is big, slow, the weapons are tricky to use, and it's special ability (a turret mode with increased weapons damage and reduced incoming damage) is utter garbage.

So of course whenever I kill someone repeatedly in a match they get mad and leave or sometimes they even go Grenadier, which they usually cannot play effectively. Of course most people haven't bought Grenadier to begin with.

I don't even have to try and grief; I just play my favorite class.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The thing is, if you use a "suboptimal" strat and people have no idea how the gently caress to deal with it, it is then actually a strong strategy. Just because it's gimmicky and will lose to someone who knows how to fight it doesn't make it useless. drat near any strat will lose if people know exactly how to fight it, it's just that some are harder to learn to deal with than others

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Magres posted:

The thing is, if you use a "suboptimal" strat and people have no idea how the gently caress to deal with it, it is then actually a strong strategy. Just because it's gimmicky and will lose to someone who knows how to fight it doesn't make it useless. drat near any strat will lose if people know exactly how to fight it, it's just that some are harder to learn to deal with than others

True, but then you're looking at the value of surprise vs the value of actual strength.

A really good <thing> is usually good because even if you know to expect it, it's still hard to deal with.

Something that is easy to defeat once you're aware of it might be good to pull out in the last match of a major tournament or whatever, but then you're banking pretty heavily on it working, and once the cat is out of the bag, if it is weaker, it goes back in the box with other unloved <things>.

Exactly how much that plays a part in any given game varies a lot - if you're talking about high level competition, it's rare for anything truly unexpected to show up. I mean, those players wouldn't be very high level if they didn't take the time and effort to experiment with quirky approaches to the game.

But in the very slowly moving metagame of the Sea of Pubbies, it is absolutely true that using weird stuff can generate a lot of rage and tears for a very long period of time. Until some YouTubeSuperStar makes a video about <thing> and 'legitimizes' it, then you'll suddenly see it in tons of games (because then it's 'ok' to use it :downs:).

Ugh. Just discussing the entire topic and mindset makes me faintly nauseated.

This thread is my pepto against the stomach flu of multiplayer gamers :v:

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.

WD40 posted:

Starfleet Dental

The last time I checked the OP for that group I think it had almost an entire paragraph of :spergin: about a race of cat people in the game, which made me pass on trying to join up. What's the actual group like?

e:(The OP himself was the sperg, it wasn't from a chat log.)

Twenty Drunk Apes fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 14, 2013

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Twenty Drunk Apes posted:

The last time I checked the OP for that group I think it had almost an entire paragraph of :spergin: about a race of cat people in the game, which made me pass on trying to join up. What's the actual group like?

e:(The OP himself was the sperg, it wasn't from a chat log.)

Pretty chill and laid back. I havn't seen people sperging at all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

victrix posted:

True, but then you're looking at the value of surprise vs the value of actual strength.

A really good <thing> is usually good because even if you know to expect it, it's still hard to deal with.

Something that is easy to defeat once you're aware of it might be good to pull out in the last match of a major tournament or whatever, but then you're banking pretty heavily on it working, and once the cat is out of the bag, if it is weaker, it goes back in the box with other unloved <things>.

Speaking of competitive TF2 specifically, there are a lot of things that are quite easy to deal with if you expect them, but if you try and counter them when your opponent isn't actually doing it you leave yourself in a weaker position. Even if they're widely known, they're still worth pulling out occasionally if your opponent doesn't know beforehand what you're trying to do.

A big example is at the start of each round, when each team rolls out from their initial spawn to get to the central area where the first fight happens. Most maps have one "main" rollout, which puts you safely near the point, somewhere you can put out good damage against the opposing team, and can easily retreat from if things go bad. Then there are variants that people pull out occasionally, such as aggressively jumping with most of your players to where the other team usually comes out. If the other team doesn't expect it you can win big, but if they do then you're probably going to be down two players. But you still do it occasionally even in top-level play, because taking your time to check for it before you finish rolling out weakens your position if they don't end up doing it.

DMeanders
Dec 29, 2012
I was playing Dota today and I was in a lovely mood.(great combo I know) I randomed Bloodseeker, some other guy on my team picked Tidehunter.

Now, there's this really lovely thing you can do to gently caress your team over as BS. If you put bloodlust or whateverthefuck your buff/silence is called onto him as a team fight is starting he can't ult or do anything. So I did that, our team wiped and we lost the game.

I usually don't do this sort of poo poo but honestly, the response I got made me feel like they deserved it.

Low priority here I loving come!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Why not just repick? Bloodseeker is such a miserably lovely hero to play. Play someone fun like Skeleton King instead and just do neverending MANMODE DEATH CHARGE! It's the best poo poo ever

DMeanders
Dec 29, 2012
I only repick if it's Meepo or Sniper. I need to protect my pride!

...and Bloodseeker is alright when you're up against stupid people who don't buy tp scrolls.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

quote:

Call of Duty....gimmick classes..

The best gimmick to use in CoD is the riot shield. Even if there are only 2 people using it to gently caress around, its basically guaranteed that by the end of the match at least half the enemy team will be using them too. Why do all these pubbies keep a riot shield class around? :iiam: but I love them for it.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Sanctum posted:

gimmicky weapons and using unorthodox tactics

Trigger warning : dota with slight mechanics explanation, :words:

People violating 'expected' behavior is probably the reason why I like the game so much.

There are a few heroes who have a skill that will forcibly relocate people. Dark Seer and Rubick are the big ones. After a few games with them eventually someone will get telekinesis tossed or vaccuumed onto an inescapable cliff. People will laugh and the game will continue because it's a minor inconvenience at most - worst case scenario you die or have to wait for the courier to bring you a TP scroll.

There's another hero named Keeper of the Light whose signature skill is a stupidly large charged blast. Think Goku's kamehameha, shaped like horses, coming out of an old man who looks like he belongs in a mid-70s disney film. One of his other skills is a lovely debuff that decreases the accuracy of anyone in the area it hits which also as a side effect knocks people away from the cast point.

People are fine with Rubick and Seer doing the relocation thing, but they never ever expect to be spiked up there by Keeper's stupid debuff, especially while he sits there and channels enough inescapable 5-second horse blasts into their face to kill them as they wander back and forth futilely or scream obscenities in allchat.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 14, 2013

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

victrix posted:

There's some psychological quirk at work there, because that exact behavior is true across a huge swathe of games.

When I played a lot of CoD with a group, we often pulled out 'gimmicky poo poo' to kill people with, and they'd get mad as gently caress when you killed their leet noscope snipes 24/7 360 build with C4 or an RPG or whatever.

What's really funny is that when your entire team is, say, running around with RPGs out first and foremost, part way through the match, one or more of the enemy team will pull out an RPG (and fail miserably with it).

The thing about quirky poo poo like that is that with enough practice, you can learn to use it to its maximum potential (seems obvious, right?). Now, that maximum potential is usually pretty low - there's a good reason ~pro esports~ players don't necessarily use quirky poo poo - because it usually isn't good enough to stand up to 'better' weapons.

But in public matches against your usual lovely players? You can do well with just about anything.

We would always declare moral victory if one or more players on the opposing team switched to whatever gimmicky build we were using to try to out-gimmick us. It's a pity we usually had non friends chat off, because informing them of this moral victory would make them spitting mad (even without the ability to actually talk to them, I still had a mailbox full of voice and text messages with varying degrees of incoherent rage).

I detest 'common wisdom' about how a given competitive game should be played. When I did play competitive games, god forgive me, my clan/guild/~proesportsteam~/whatever never, ever got along with the rest of the community we were in, because my teammates all shared a similar philosphy towards gaming.

Which isn't the same thing as "I only play low tier!!1!" in fighting games, there's a difference between intelligently using and experimenting with all tools at your disposal to learn what does and does not work, and using the worst tools and then declaring that you lost because your tools were poor :P

The fact that experimenting in that manner genuinely pisses people off is both hilarious and one of the great mysterious wonders of griefing.

My favorite CoD thing to do was in Black Ops, when me and a bunch of other goons took the M60 with the big ammo upgrade and never stopped firing. Like, from the start of the match until we got killed. Just running around yelling and firing constantly. We kept winning too, I'm not even sure how that works.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Fil5000 posted:

My favorite CoD thing to do was in Black Ops, when me and a bunch of other goons took the M60 with the big ammo upgrade and never stopped firing. Like, from the start of the match until we got killed. Just running around yelling and firing constantly. We kept winning too, I'm not even sure how that works.

This is fun in any call of duty. Get the LMB with the best damage/penetration/firerate/ammo-capacity combination, then get all the perks and attachments or whatever to increase your reload speed and ammo capacity, then just run around and shoot.

The best thing was that in Modern Warfare 2 there was a perk that let you switch to any other class, including the one you currently were. This basically gave you infinite ammo. Also, switching classes was faster than reloading most LMGs. So I'd run around, shoot until I ran out of all 200 rounds of ammunition in my belt, then switch classes in 3 seconds and go back to shooting.

People would get so loving mad if they threw a flashbang at you, but then you just keep shooting anyway and kill them as they try to rush you. This was especially effective in any kind of defence mode. Just sit in a corner and shoot nonstop through the walls. Even if people know where you are, they can't get near the building because bullets will just fly out of the loving walls at random. Also, I think I mentioned this before in this thread, but walking up next to a really thinly walled building and killing literally anyone inside by just waving your gun at it for 30 seconds was awesome.

Usually it was just me that did this, though, I would have loved to do this will a full team of rambo clones.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Slappy Moose posted:

rambo clones.

I used to play CS:S on a 24 hour Office map, as the gimmick Rambo. I would spend the entire time hunting people with the combat knife unless there were a group, then I'd crouch-walk in with a machine gun while yelling over my mic.

It's amazing how much fun you can have by doing something dumb like that, and how many people get angry about it. :allears:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Unwaranted self satisfaction. people get mad when they are proven to not be as good as they think they are. Happens to me all the time.

The other day i was on TF2. I was typing something and i happened to use ''your'' instead of the correct ''you're''. Someone did the whole *you're thing. Now usually I brush this off but I was kinda irked at this. So for the next 30 minutes I started intentionally sayings sentences with incorrect contractions. The first couple of times he correct them. Then he "ignored" it. Then he started getting pissy. Then he left.

Grammar guys have no place in fast paced video games. We ain't got time for proper grammar.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 14, 2013

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

DMeanders posted:

Low priority here I loving come!

I don't play either LoL or Dota. Is being low-priority some sort of punishment that other players can hand out? What does it actually mean?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Strangest Finch posted:

I don't play either LoL or Dota. Is being low-priority some sort of punishment that other players can hand out? What does it actually mean?

Low priority queue in DotA is basically detention. You get sent there to deal with other people who can't play nice.

DMeanders
Dec 29, 2012
Low priority means you get longer queues for games and I believe it means you don't get experience. You don't really use experience for anything and leveling up doesn't mean anything so it's really just longer queue times.

^ not sure if you always get matched with other low priority people.

DMeanders fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 14, 2013

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Arrath posted:

The best gimmick to use in CoD is the riot shield. Even if there are only 2 people using it to gently caress around, its basically guaranteed that by the end of the match at least half the enemy team will be using them too. Why do all these pubbies keep a riot shield class around? :iiam: but I love them for it.

I posted about this several pages ago, but Black Ops II lets you have a golden, bedazzled Assault Shield with your custom emblem on the front. Mine is a big pink heart with 'GAY MEN' in block letter stenciled over it- the Homosexual Assault Shield. It's also really fun to trap camping teammates in corners with, especially since the new class builder lets people create classes with no grenades. If friendly fire is off and their class doesn't have access to an explosive, you can trap them for as long as you want unless they quit or an enemy finds and kills you.

Also 'jousting matches' - the term for when two shielders attempt to kill each other - are insanely fun when one of you doesn't get shot by the others' teammate (which practically never happens). Since it's a two-hit kill, you have to manage to hit them twice before their health can regenerate, which is fairly tricky. I've gone for upwards of a full minute before, with several team members from both sides stopping to watch us go at it without shooting.

Also, in my limited experience enemies tend to just pick their shield up from the ground. It's a lot easier to recognize if you enjoy having your shield garishly camo'd and with large pink hearts on it.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

DMeanders posted:

^ not sure if you always get matched with other low priority people.

Uh yeah that's kind of the point of low priority queue. If you ragequit or get reported too much you have to play with other ragequitters and lovely people.

Sometimes you will see people not in LPQ who are queueing with their low priority friends though (which puts the whole group into an LPQ game).

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Wild T posted:

Also 'jousting matches' - the term for when two shielders attempt to kill each other - are insanely fun when one of you doesn't get shot by the others' teammate (which practically never happens). Since it's a two-hit kill, you have to manage to hit them twice before their health can regenerate, which is fairly tricky. I've gone for upwards of a full minute before, with several team members from both sides stopping to watch us go at it without shooting.

This would take forever in MW2, but not in Blops2. In blops2, the riot shield melee attack isn't blocked by another riot shield, so whoever gets off the first hit wins, assuming the other person doesn't just bail.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Slappy Moose posted:

This is fun in any call of duty. Get the LMB with the best damage/penetration/firerate/ammo-capacity combination, then get all the perks and attachments or whatever to increase your reload speed and ammo capacity, then just run around and shoot.

The best thing was that in Modern Warfare 2 there was a perk that let you switch to any other class, including the one you currently were. This basically gave you infinite ammo. Also, switching classes was faster than reloading most LMGs. So I'd run around, shoot until I ran out of all 200 rounds of ammunition in my belt, then switch classes in 3 seconds and go back to shooting.

People would get so loving mad if they threw a flashbang at you, but then you just keep shooting anyway and kill them as they try to rush you. This was especially effective in any kind of defence mode. Just sit in a corner and shoot nonstop through the walls. Even if people know where you are, they can't get near the building because bullets will just fly out of the loving walls at random. Also, I think I mentioned this before in this thread, but walking up next to a really thinly walled building and killing literally anyone inside by just waving your gun at it for 30 seconds was awesome.

Usually it was just me that did this, though, I would have loved to do this will a full team of rambo clones.

In Call of Duty Modern Warfare there was a map called Killhouse, I think. It was a warehouse with the interior set up to simulate an urban environment, meaning the map was very small and sight was usually limited (except for a relatively open space in the middle).

Almost all of the walls were made out of plywood, and that game feature bullet penetration and had a perk that increased your bullet penetration when equipped. Cue people picking the biggest caliber machine gun and that perk and firing clear across the map through every wall.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Slappy Moose posted:

I figured that the best way to grind bullet penetration kills in MW2 was to use that perk (One Man Army), Stopping Power, and a third perk, and slap on FMJ (makes you do more damage when shooting through objects). Then I'd play Hardcore Headquarters Pro. For people who haven't played the COD games, hardcore mode makes most weapons a one or two shot kill, along with removing your HUD. Headquarters is a game mode that involves capturing a location (often inside a building) and holding it for a set amount of time until the next location was available. In MW2 there was a 30 second delay before you could start capturing, which lead to both teams trying to pile in. I'd just plop myself in a nice area, and hose down the headquarter through the walls. It would only take a couple hits to kill someone, and it would only take a few kills before the screaming about cheats started.

Ephphatha posted:

In Call of Duty Modern Warfare there was a map called Killhouse, I think. It was a warehouse with the interior set up to simulate an urban environment, meaning the map was very small and sight was usually limited (except for a relatively open space in the middle).

Almost all of the walls were made out of plywood, and that game feature bullet penetration and had a perk that increased your bullet penetration when equipped. Cue people picking the biggest caliber machine gun and that perk and firing clear across the map through every wall.

My personal favorite is 3X grenades, Sonic Boom (increases explosive damage), and Martyrdom (drops a live grenade at your feet when you die). Spawn, throw three grenades, and run headlong into the nearest clump of enemies. Repeat until you're topping the scoreboard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Polka_Rapper posted:

I figured that the best way to grind bullet penetration kills in MW2 was to use that perk (One Man Army), Stopping Power, and a third perk, and slap on FMJ (makes you do more damage when shooting through objects). Then I'd play Hardcore Headquarters Pro. For people who haven't played the COD games, hardcore mode makes most weapons a one or two shot kill, along with removing your HUD. Headquarters is a game mode that involves capturing a location (often inside a building) and holding it for a set amount of time until the next location was available. In MW2 there was a 30 second delay before you could start capturing, which lead to both teams trying to pile in. I'd just plop myself in a nice area, and hose down the headquarter through the walls. It would only take a couple hits to kill someone, and it would only take a few kills before the screaming about cheats started.

My personal favorite is 3X grenades, Sonic Boom (increases explosive damage), and Martyrdom (drops a live grenade at your feet when you die). Spawn, throw three grenades, and run headlong into the nearest clump of enemies. Repeat until you're topping the scoreboard.

Slotting martydom alone is a grief to CoD players. They get FURIOUS about that skill.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

CaptainJuan posted:

This would take forever in MW2, but not in Blops2. In blops2, the riot shield melee attack isn't blocked by another riot shield, so whoever gets off the first hit wins, assuming the other person doesn't just bail.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I've had assault shield bashes blocked by my opponent's shield in Blops 2. I do know that melee in that game has some funky artifacts (mostly from grinding up the tactical and combat knives to gold) that tend to send you lunging past your opponent and facing away from them, while their auto-aim swings their camera straight towards your back.

A few really fun Blops 2 griefs take place on the map Hijacked (a map taking place on a large yacht in the ocean). One is on the side of the boat - there is a short catwalk over the ocean where you can avoid major traffic, but can also fall into the sea for an instant death. When most people see an assault shield, they instinctively backpedal as it's only marginally useful at melee range, and has no ranged attack. Charging aggressively at enemies on the catwalk will more often than not result in them panicking and inadvertently committing suicide, something that is more effective if you being yelling pirate lingo at them and telling them that they walked the plank.

Another little easter egg on that map is simply magical, and unknown to many players. In most objective modes, there will be a capture point right in a central portion of the boat; Point B. Point B is covered by a very small hut, providing marginal cover from two-story structures on both sides that are magnets for snipers and machine gunners. In objective modes, the more players on one team that get within range, the faster the objective is accomplished, meaning teams tend to crowd into the points. Then someone discovered this trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRqeWSd6f4U

There turned out to be two small vents in a (mostly) secluded area of the map that allow you to toss in a frag grenade, which will bounce up and roll out perfectly in the center of Point B. Since Call of Duty maps tend to have very little in the way of dynamic map interactions, getting kills through these vents will consistently get you hate mail, accusing you of wallhacking with hand grenades.

Edit: This is also a magical thing to do with assault shields that I never even thought of. Once I get back to the US I'll have to try this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5StUyTdkbE. There's a ten-second grace period at the start of the round where you can swap classes without dying. You can deploy an assault shield on the ground; though this makes it vulnerable, it still works as cover until it's shot to pieces and frees your weapon slot. This guy creates multiple classes, all with assault shields, and tries to plant each one, quickly swap to another assault shield class, then plant another, until that timer runs out. "How'd you get so many shields, bro? How'd you get so many shields?"

Wild T fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 14, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Dungeons and Dragons Online used to have some interesting ways to grief people.

I play on Cannith which is the server that started up when the game moved to free to play, it has the worst players. We're always last to complete new raids on the hardest difficulity.

Last year before the expansion the level cap was 20, one raid people used run was called Vision of Destruction. The raid was just a small room with a big bad boss and some waves of teleporting mobs spawing every so often, because of the teleporting there's no real safe place to stand.

What my guildie would do was join pugs with his Favored Soul(like a cleric but better) as the only healer and proceed to solo the raid and not heal anyone. People would slowly die one by one and then start filling the chat with rage, saying things like they'd block him from running raids with their guild and stuff, some even rage quit.

It was crazy as death means nothing in DDO, basically a few platinum coins you can loot from a single chest but people would rage hard about this. They were getting a free completion, a chance at raid loot and all they had to do was just afk for 20-30 mins for it.

DDO is different to most MMOs from what I understand, there's no real roles and classes aren't typecast into certain things. You can have cleric tanks, cleric melee dps, bards that heal, tank, crowd control or dps or whatever. Heck I had a rogue tank at one point that was pretty fun.

We'd do similar things in other raids but people started to finally figure it out and either contribute to either making the raid go faster or just go afk while we did the raid for them.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
We used to all grab M60's, put on the best gear/perks for hipfiring and more bullets and run around yelling rambo quotes. It was an indordinate amount of fun and i dont know how we won but we did and it was awesome.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Len posted:

Slotting martydom alone is a grief to CoD players. They get FURIOUS about that skill.

I used to go on servers that had "No Marty/Last Stand/Grenade Launcher" rules, and spend my time priming grenades and suicide dropping them. A lot of the servers had some auto-kick mod that triggered when it detected one of these, since (this is mostly guesswork) Martydom used a different version of the normal frag grenade that exploded a lot faster. I'd run in, die, and drop a grenade. After doing this a couple times, people would start yelling at me about the perk being forbidden and screaming for the admin. It wouldn't do any good however because I was following the rules. This occasionally lead to other players arguing with the mods/admins, and (sadly only once) getting temp banned for two hours for "admin disrespect."

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

Garry's mod was another very self-griefing game. I'm not sure how it is now, but people would get into crazy fights over the silliest stuff in build servers. Putting in the tiniest investment of effort would yield totally disproportionate results. It also had some sort of roleplay heavy version of that mafia game. Also a recipe for low effort rage payoff. Actually, that whole channel is pretty neat.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

There are also hilarious RP servers that require you to pay real money for the ability to spawn props, and jumping is disabled. I bet those guys make a decent amount of money from morons who are willing to actually play on those servers.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Unguided posted:

If Shadow puts us on their enemy list and drops a kill token, blame me. I put their leader in jail for five hours while he was doing a stream.

Unguided posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/juanmuhhh He's back and talking poo poo about us as he sits in jail. He's really pissed off.

e: he's calling us the woon-tang or something.

I'm not sure how long this link will be valid for but Unguided just put a dude into prison, prison that you have to be logged in for, while he was doing a live stream, and the dude is just...continuing his stream and being a huge embarrassment to everybody. He devolves into whining whenever he realizes that his stream is pointless since he literally can't do anything.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Best 150 Liang I ever spent. I put him on my Blood Enemy list so I can put bounties on him without having to take a fall in combat.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Tulip posted:

I'm not sure how long this link will be valid for but Unguided just put a dude into prison, prison that you have to be logged in for, while he was doing a live stream, and the dude is just...continuing his stream and being a huge embarrassment to everybody. He devolves into whining whenever he realizes that his stream is pointless since he literally can't do anything.

He's sitting on the login screen and this popped up in the chat window:

"grithok: Rasberryftw: the streamer went to jail, got out of jail, and doesn't want to log in since he thinks he will go to jail again cause of goons"

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My favourite part of running Martyrdom in MW1 was hearing kids whine about "Mardydom" on mic whenever I died.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
My favorite part of Martyrdom is remembering how hyped everyone was for it when they revealed it as one of the perks in COD4.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What do the Wushu devs think of the Goons? Anything?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wild T posted:

Another little easter egg on that map is simply magical, and unknown to many players. In most objective modes, there will be a capture point right in a central portion of the boat; Point B. Point B is covered by a very small hut, providing marginal cover from two-story structures on both sides that are magnets for snipers and machine gunners. In objective modes, the more players on one team that get within range, the faster the objective is accomplished, meaning teams tend to crowd into the points. Then someone discovered this trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRqeWSd6f4U

There turned out to be two small vents in a (mostly) secluded area of the map that allow you to toss in a frag grenade, which will bounce up and roll out perfectly in the center of Point B. Since Call of Duty maps tend to have very little in the way of dynamic map interactions, getting kills through these vents will consistently get you hate mail, accusing you of wallhacking with hand grenades.
Oh man, that's awesome - I'd never even noticed those were there so I was just LMG wall-banging the downstairs from the catwalk which is less reliable because of the pillars in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
From the first CoD onward a lot of the game has been knowing which pixel to aim you grenade at when the round starts. Glad to see that's still in there with id tech 3.

• Locked thread