Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I drank a lot of beer this weekend. Had a really tasty Hinterland Saison at lunch; I hadn't had a saison before and didn't really know what to expect, but it was a really easy drinking beer, a bit more spice than I am used to, but really solid. I could see someone that isn't a big craft beer drinking enjoying this, sort of like a gateway beer to other craft beers.

Went to the Revolution tap room and sampled almost everything they had there. My favorites were:
-Galaxy Hero IPA - citrusy, light pine flavor, smooth, slightly bitter finish, everything that I like in an IPA.
-Very Mad Cow - barrel aged milk stout, very sweet, vanilla up front, the booziness is very apparent on the finish. I struggled to drink my entire sample just because of how strong it was.
-Rebellious Red Ale - normally when I think of a red ale, I think something like Killian's and this was nothing like that. Sweet, like a wheat beer, with a hoppy finish, but not as hoppy as something like a pale ale

Also went to Half-Acre and sampled half their selections. I really liked their Space IPA and Akari Shogun. They had a coconut pale ale called Hot Tropic that I sampled and I don't think I could drink an entire pint of it, but I liked it. I really like coconut though...I like the Kona Coconut Brown Ale :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

cryme posted:

they're generally tart in the way a berliner weisse is tart. veloren was a bore.

That was my impression as well. One of my local breweries just announced they will be canning a Gose this summer though. I'm excited to try their take on the style.

http://westbrookbrewing.com/beers/all/rotating/gose/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Oh lord so much beer this weekend.

After a show at a BYO venue on Friday night I woke up a bit hungover and headed up with my friend Andrew to this thing Andy at Teresa's told me about, called the FARE festival. This was really weird. Your standard beer tasting, plus some restaurants handing out food, plus some distillers and wineries also doing samples, plus DiBruno Brothers handing out big chunks of aged parmesan with 15-year-old balsamic vinegar drizzled on it.

The weird part is that it's held in this facility that used to be a NASA centrifuge, then used to be a NAWC research lab, and now just seems to be there to rent out so people can have events in it.

Bunch of decent stuff to drink, and it was the most sparsely-crowded beerfest I've ever been to. Which I thought was great because I hate standing in line for 20 minutes to get a little sample and then do it again. This you could just walk right on up to Founders or Stone or Lost Abbey or Alesmith or whoever and get something good. I'd have loved it unreservedly had I not been hungover and just threw myself into it but I really ended up pacing myself and staying away from anything that was stronger than 6%. I had that Victory saison, Swing, and enjoyed that but if you don't like black pepper you should probably stay away from it.

Left that thing at about 2 and headed over to Forest and Main because it was close and was also having its 1-year anniversary party. Piss-poor planning on my part resulted in us showing up at 2:30, which hey, turned out to be an hour and a half before they opened. So we killed some time at a nearby fairly feeble air museum by Willow Grove before heading back.

Line down the street when they opened doors. They had a band on the porch, I think the place was approaching hipster critical mass, took us 20 minutes to get our first round of beers, but I don't care because everything was awesome. Seriously if I lived near Ambler I would be at this place every week, if anything I love it more than Tired Hands.

Looks like they put in some more tap lines since I was there last. Drank Hermitage, which was a barrel-aged strong dark ale and which was also delicious. Marius is a saison that sits in Chardonnay barrels on top of a bunch of sour cherries, it was loving awesome. Got a glass of Oubliant which is a 10% tripel that's also barrel aged, then I had some hoppy brett saison but I don't remember which one it was because things started to blur together a bit at that point.

The food at this place is incredible, way, way better than you have any right to expect from a brewpub. Seriously, even the bread and butter they put in the table is noticeably notches above what you'll get at most restaurants. Menu's changed a bit since I was there last, I wound up with a plate of pea ravioli with homemade ricotta. Look at this, it tasted even better than it looks, and I don't even generally like peas:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Phanatic posted:

pea ravioli with homemade ricotta.

i'm about to post an ISO. drat.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

Furious Lobster posted:

If anyone is looking for Firestone XV, I stumbled across a couple of bottles at a fairly new bottle shop's opening in DC.

Where is this new store?

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Forest and Main is an incredible brewpub, definitely one of the most unique places I've been in. I was also at the one year party at 4pm on Saturday, and I agree with Phanatic's reviews of the beers. Definitely a great place, and while Tired Hands seems to attract most of the attention in these parts, I prefer Forest and Main at times. Great place, great beers.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
So I just moved to the US (los Alamos new mexico) from Canada and now I can try all these great American beers I had heard about but never tasted. Tonight I'm having Stone's Double Bastard: Holy poo poo. I was under the impression west-coast US beers were almost exclusively hop-syrups, but this is one of the best malt-foreword beers I've ever had. I have a lot of exploring to do it seems...

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

So how much did it cost for the two raviolis placed onto a platter by an art student? I'm sure it was good, but I'm not for paying for the presentation of something. I want something that is going to fill me up. Call me unsophisticated but I'll take a burger medium rare with some blue cheese and light bbq sauce over an expensive platter that's done in 2 bites.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Fat guy spotted.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Turds in magma posted:

So I just moved to the US (los Alamos new mexico) from Canada and now I can try all these great American beers I had heard about but never tasted. Tonight I'm having Stone's Double Bastard: Holy poo poo. I was under the impression west-coast US beers were almost exclusively hop-syrups, but this is one of the best malt-foreword beers I've ever had. I have a lot of exploring to do it seems...

ah, you've entered the craft Mecca that is New Mexico- congratulations!

Midorka posted:

So how much did it cost for the two raviolis placed onto a platter by an art student? I'm sure it was good, but I'm not for paying for the presentation of something. I want something that is going to fill me up. Call me unsophisticated but I'll take a burger medium rare with some blue cheese and light bbq sauce over an expensive platter that's done in 2 bites.

like buying beer, it's worth it if you feel like it's worth it. also- even though i dread your response- good, fresh food costs money, and a little place that is ordering on a small scale is going to be paying a lot, so it shouldn't be cheap, certainly not if they expect to make any profit.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

ah, you've entered the craft Mecca that is New Mexico- congratulations!

like buying beer, it's worth it if you feel like it's worth it. also- even though i dread your response- good, fresh food costs money, and a little place that is ordering on a small scale is going to be paying a lot, so it shouldn't be cheap, certainly not if they expect to make any profit.

Sarcasm? I haven't found a tonn, but 2nd street brewery has amazing food and better-than-decent beer, along with live music.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Midorka posted:

Call me unsophisticated

It's not exactly the word that comes to mind, but it's close.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

Midorka posted:

Ok, I'll gladly call you unsophisticated. But it's not about sophistication, it's about food. Some people pay hundreds of dollars to watch sporting events: I would gladly put 300 dollars down for a 7 course meal.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Turds in magma posted:

Sarcasm? I haven't found a tonn, but 2nd street brewery has amazing food and better-than-decent beer, along with live music.
I was wondering if that was sarcasm too. There's plenty of great beer available in the state. As for actual New Mexican breweries, I would definitely recommend La Cumbre, although I'm not sure if they have distribution into Los Alamos. They currently only distribute their IPA anyway. Marble tends to be fine, but their more interesting stuff doesn't make it to cans/bottles. Most of the others I can think of are fine, but certainly not exciting. There's a few genuinely bad breweries to watch out for though.

edit:

Midorka posted:

I shotgun cantillon because I want something that'll get me drunk, and I'm not paying for presenation.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 15, 2013

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I feel so blessed that this spring whenever I want a Monk's Cafe or St. Bernardus 12 I can just pop into Monk's in 15 minutes and get them on tap :shobon:

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Trying a more recent bottle of Two Hearted (bottled one month ago) to see if I was wrong about Centennial hops, and I was not. They taste fine, good in a balanced IPA, but I find them boring. To each their own.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

the yellow dart posted:

Trying a more recent bottle of Two Hearted (bottled one month ago) to see if I was wrong about Centennial hops, and I was not. They taste fine, good in a balanced IPA, but I find them boring. To each their own.

I bet you also hate puppy dogs and America. Go back to Russia.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Who knew there were so many foodies here. Tough crowd.

I'm drinking Sierra Nevada's Quad with plums and it's well worth buying. Slightly boozy and medicinal with lots of fruity plum flavors with a solid malty base under it. Earlier I had Oskar Blues Gubna, canned from the new brewery 3 weeks ago. I don't like this. The aroma comes off rubbery and the body comes off doughy with a very mild bitterness. I'm not sure if this is intended or if they're still working out the new canning line, but I can't imagine this is how it's supposed to taste/smell.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

deadwing posted:

I believe only southern Jersey got Great Lakes, they're state-wide now.

Midorka posted:

Interesting, I was unaware there was a divide like that. Upon that information I just checked the distributor that brings Great Lakes to my area and they are South Jersey only. Sorry for jumping the gun then. Maybe Podima will get a distributor that doesn't suck then. Kramer Beverage is notorious for bringing out of code Brooklyn and Great Lakes to stores.

Speaking of Farmer's Cabinet, I would avoid that place like the plague. My buddy just left there and aside from them storing kegs in 80+ weather in the summer, they don't clean their taplines. The last time they were cleaned was in January. They also don't clean that taps themselves. He said he's been soaking them and cleaning them, but at least half of them have a gross slimy build up in there.

I know 1 place in Morris County that stocks Great Lakes, but never seen it otherwise.

Is it really surprising that North/South NJ has a huge divide? I always enjoy Midorka posting about all the stuff he sees wide distribution of, because it's funny that a short drive south is basically a different distribution network.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Midorka posted:

Earlier I had Oskar Blues Gubna, canned from the new brewery 3 weeks ago. I don't like this. The aroma comes off rubbery and the body comes off doughy with a very mild bitterness. I'm not sure if this is intended or if they're still working out the new canning line, but I can't imagine this is how it's supposed to taste/smell.

That's really weird, I've had Gubna a few times and it's never tasted like that. But I haven't had it recently and once was on tap in Lyons, so it's possible that something has gone terribly awry. Still bad to hear that. I don't think Gubna is OB's best beer nor the best IIPA I've ever had, but it's still really solid in my experience.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Midorka posted:

I'm drinking Sierra Nevada's Quad with plums and it's well worth buying. Slightly boozy and medicinal with lots of fruity plum flavors with a solid malty base under it. Earlier I had Oskar Blues Gubna, canned from the new brewery 3 weeks ago. I don't like this. The aroma comes off rubbery and the body comes off doughy with a very mild bitterness. I'm not sure if this is intended or if they're still working out the new canning line, but I can't imagine this is how it's supposed to taste/smell.

IMO beer tends to pair better with food, so not so surprising that a lot of people who'd be into beer are also into food.

Tried a Deschutes flight last night: BBXXII, BBXXIV, 2012 Abyss and I think 2012 Stoic. 24 is still too hot and borderline cloying with raisin flavor, but time was really good to the 22. Silky smooth and rich chocolate.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

Hauki posted:

I was wondering if that was sarcasm too. There's plenty of great beer available in the state. As for actual New Mexican breweries, I would definitely recommend La Cumbre, although I'm not sure if they have distribution into Los Alamos. They currently only distribute their IPA anyway. Marble tends to be fine, but their more interesting stuff doesn't make it to cans/bottles. Most of the others I can think of are fine, but certainly not exciting. There's a few genuinely bad breweries to watch out for though.

edit:

I shotgun cantillon because I want something that'll get me drunk, and I'm not paying for presenation.

What other New Mexican breweries are there? So far I have only encountered Santa Fe Brewing, Marble, and then the brew pubs at 2nd street and Blue Corn. I will try to find some La Cumbre

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Midorka posted:

Earlier I had Oskar Blues Gubna, canned from the new brewery 3 weeks ago. I don't like this. The aroma comes off rubbery and the body comes off doughy with a very mild bitterness. I'm not sure if this is intended or if they're still working out the new canning line, but I can't imagine this is how it's supposed to taste/smell.

I had Gubna from the same line, bottled two weeks ago, and I was underwhelmed. I had the first two, and I'll revisit it in a couple of days.

My complaints aren't the same as yours, I just felt like it was pretty unbalanced. Big bitter with a thick, sticky body (ala Maharaja), but without enough floral backing to justify that gustatory workout.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I had GUBNA from the new line and absolutely loved it. I also loved the old formula far more than most, though.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Turds in magma posted:

What other New Mexican breweries are there? So far I have only encountered Santa Fe Brewing, Marble, and then the brew pubs at 2nd street and Blue Corn. I will try to find some La Cumbre

yeah, i was being mildly sarcastic, as my friend who lives in the state laments the lack of good local options. there are plenty of good breweries that distribute there, though, so it's better than a lot of places you could live, for sure.

Midorka posted:

don't call me a loving "foodie," that's the dumbest goddamn term

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Midorka posted:

NewJersey.txt

Thanks for reminding me why I left New Jersey.

The answer to your question is $14.50, btw. You would actually pay more for a burger there.

Midorka posted:

It's not surprising. People who have high standards for beer usually have high standards for food, wine, and cocktails, too. Liking delicious things isn't usually restricted to only one sort of thing.

Midorka posted:

The correct answer is onions. Gubna tastes like onions. :colbert:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

deadwing posted:

I had GUBNA from the new line and absolutely loved it. I also loved the old formula far more than most, though.

I liked it ok, and will drink it with gusto, but I just wish it was a little more complete. I'm hoping my tastebuds were just hosed that day.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I liked it ok, and will drink it with gusto, but I just wish it was a little more complete. I'm hoping my tastebuds were just hosed that day.

Well, GUBNA's always been a straight-up, super aggressive hop bomb, so if you're looking for balance and completeness, you're not going to find it there. :colbert:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

deadwing posted:

Well, GUBNA's always been a straight-up, super aggressive hop bomb, so if you're looking for balance and completeness, you're not going to find it there. :colbert:

but it isn't a hop-bomb, it's pure bitter. you can ask for balance in flavor to bitterness. it isn't that far fetched--there are many IIPAs that do well at it. Hercules, Maharaja, Seeing Double, etc.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Turds in magma posted:

Uh, off-hand besides what was already mentioned and in no particular order: Chama River, Il Vicino, Tractor, Bosque, Kelly's, Sierra Blanca/Rio Grande, Turtle Mountain, Desert Abbey/Monastery of Christ in the Desert, High Desert, Mimbres Valley, Taos Mesa, Nexus, Broken Bottle and Bad rear end something something. A lot of these aren't really worth seeking out though. There are definitely more that I missed.

La Cumbre is by far my favourite, Marble, Il Vicino and Chama in some order after that. Bad rear end is terrible, Nexus has pretty good food and pretty not-good beer. Most of the others are just mediocre/average in my experience.

edit: I was trying to make a quick guide of good things that distribute here, but gently caress, that's more work than I'm up for right now.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 15, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Jahoodie posted:

Is it really surprising that North/South NJ has a huge divide? I always enjoy Midorka posting about all the stuff he sees wide distribution of, because it's funny that a short drive south is basically a different distribution network.

I was aware of the divide as far as Carton/Kane and all of the other great small breweries only distributing very locally, but I didn't know things like Great Lakes and the distributor that carries it would literally stop distributing when it covered half of the state. Kramer is the distributor and I guess I just assumed they would cover the state, but nope, they don't. The odd thing is is that Burlington County is the next county up from Camden and that they get Great Lakes, so I'm guessing there are 3 separate distributors for Great Lakes in New Jersey now? How ridiculous.

Eejit posted:

That's really weird, I've had Gubna a few times and it's never tasted like that. But I haven't had it recently and once was on tap in Lyons, so it's possible that something has gone terribly awry. Still bad to hear that. I don't think Gubna is OB's best beer nor the best IIPA I've ever had, but it's still really solid in my experience.

This is my first Gubna and it's from the new facility. I can't help but shake this rubber band aroma that is pretty apparent in the aroma. My girlfriend noticed it as well. That's pretty disappointing for a $14 4 pack to have a flaw like this. The beer seems reviewed rather well so I'm guessing this batch came out bad or had a problem. I'll send them an e-mail and am certainly willing to send a single of the other two back for them to test themselves.

air- posted:

IMO beer tends to pair better with food, so not so surprising that a lot of people who'd be into beer are also into food.

I guess I just have the dissenting opinion again. I'm used to it though, then again I'm sure there are things I put a lot of effort into that many people here wouldn't give a crap about, such as headphones. I love food, but to me food is mainly a vessel for sustenance. I eat rather healthy and I'm not fat, but I like my meals to fill me up and I just don't see that happening with places that tend to make "art" of their plates. I don't mean that condescendingly, forgive me if it came off that way to begin with, but I can't help but be upset when I order a piece of chicken marinaded in wine, stuffed with an aged mozzarella and surrounded by spinach that was cooked in the same wine (I forget which wine it was) and it's a 4-6 ounce piece of chicken and no more than $1 worth of spinach and they charge me $15. Yeah it tasted great, but now I'm still hungry.

funkybottoms posted:

I sincerely didn't know that was a derogatory term at all. My apologies.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Thanks for reminding me why I left New Jersey.

The answer to your question is $14.50, btw. You would actually pay more for a burger there.

The correct answer is onions. Gubna tastes like onions. :colbert:

You must be thinking of North Jersey, South Jersey is a lot cheaper. North Jersey prices aren't far off from Manhattan prices. $15 for a burger at a random bar. It's not uncommon to see fresh meat from local farmers here.

As for onions, I guess I can kind of see that, but didn't they change the recipe for Gubna recently, or was that Gknight?

Anyway, sorry again for causing an uproar from many of you. I just simply do not understand certain things in the food world yet. I'm going off the thread for the night and for most of tomorrow so you don't have to worry about me posting until tomorrow night. My apologies for pissing anyone off unintentionally.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Midorka posted:

The vast majority of beer geeks I know are "foodies".

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Midorka posted:

I was aware of the divide as far as Carton/Kane and all of the other great small breweries only distributing very locally, but I didn't know things like Great Lakes and the distributor that carries it would literally stop distributing when it covered half of the state. Kramer is the distributor and I guess I just assumed they would cover the state, but nope, they don't. The odd thing is is that Burlington County is the next county up from Camden and that they get Great Lakes, so I'm guessing there are 3 separate distributors for Great Lakes in New Jersey now? How ridiculous.

Speaking of Carton, I've been trying their stuff lately. I'm still fairly new into the craft beer scene but I'm picking up on styles and tasting notes. I just tried Carton's Carton Of Milk milk stout and it was really good. And their Boat Beer was tasty too. For some reason, I wanna try lots of different ones from Jersey and so far, the ones I've had have been really good. Tuckahoe Steelmantown Porter was absolutely delicious and may come really close to knocking off Edmund Fitzgerald.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Tried Upslope Foreign Style Stout for the first time yesterday and was left disappointed. It hit your typical malty, roasty notes, but it also had a watery quality to it that I didn't much care for. It wasn't really in the mouth feel, but it tasted a bit like wet barley. I had heard it was fairly good, but I don't know, it just didn't work for me. I'll have another one later I guess. It's possible OB's Old Chub had overwhelmed my palate.

Also, Breckenridge Brewery is still poo poo. Had either really dirty taps or an infected keg (can that happen?) that wrecked a glass of Agave Wheat, which is mediocre if refreshing on the best of days. Their oatmeal stout also wasn't exciting either, but I knew all this. Just needed a place for eats and didn't have time to check Yelp for something better.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

It's not surprising. People who have high standards for beer usually have high standards for food, wine, and cocktails, too. Liking delicious things isn't usually restricted to only one sort of thing.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

The vast majority of beer geeks I know are "foodies".

The dude said he liked burgers and would like one over the fancy raviolis. The fancy raviolis don't invalidate the deliciousness of a good burger, nor is a preference for burgers indicative of low standards of taste. Some of the most hardcore foodies I know can't stop sperging about burgers these days anyways. And the fact that beer geeks tend to be foodies is because they have a developed palate and can say more about how something smells, feels, and tastes other than good or bad. This implication that foodies only like fancy feasts and avoid "pedestrian" fare like burgers is false, the same way that assuming all beer nerds avoid anything below 60 IBU and 7% is also false.

Honestly these posts came across a little as stalking the KBS deliveryman.

funkybottoms posted:

About as dumb as beer geek, cigar aficionado, oenophile, or any of the other labels for enthusiasts of this or that. Honestly what else do you call someone who is nerdy about their food?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Midorka posted:

You must be thinking of North Jersey, South Jersey is a lot cheaper. North Jersey prices aren't far off from Manhattan prices. $15 for a burger at a random bar. It's not uncommon to see fresh meat from local farmers here.

Not to pile on you because there's been enough of that already, but keep in mind that there's also a pretty distinct Central Jersey (i.e. New Brunswick/Somerset/etc) zone that gets conflated with North Jersey for beer distribution, but doesn't suffer from the same apparent NYC bleed-over that you seem to have experienced. I don't pay more than $10-$12 for a burger around here unless it's a super freaking rad burger that I'll take half of home. Also now this just makes me want to go to Harvest Moon for one of their burgers tomorrow, thanks a ton! :argh:

Beer content: Waking up the morning after my engagement party, I realized I apparently had almost as much beer in my fridges as I started the previous night with, only it was all new poo poo. I have pretty great friends!* One of the things they left for me was Detour DIPA, by Crooked Line/Uinta - not a bad beer, but nothing especially standout other than being a well-balanced DIPA that wasn't offensively bitter or sweet.

*the same friends checked in a Heady Topper on untappd that same night, so they were holding out on me anyhow, the bastards!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
The term foodie is pretty dumb, but I don't get pissed when people call me one. I don't really know what else you would be called. OH has some fantastic burger places, and some of them have some really great happy hour deals.

Michael Symon has a burger place called B Spot, and you can get a meal that would normally cost you $15-$20 for $10 during happy hour, including $3 draft beers like FBS and Head Hunter.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Midorka posted:

I was referring to the price of the actual items (ravioli vs burger) on Forest & Main's menu.

I grew up in South Jersey, btw.

Eejit posted:

The dude said he liked burgers and would like one over the fancy raviolis. The fancy raviolis don't invalidate the deliciousness of a good burger, nor is a preference for burgers indicative of low standards of taste. Some of the most hardcore foodies I know can't stop sperging about burgers these days anyways. And the fact that beer geeks tend to be foodies is because they have a developed palate and can say more about how something smells, feels, and tastes other than good or bad. This implication that foodies only like fancy feasts and avoid "pedestrian" fare like burgers is false, the same way that assuming all beer nerds avoid anything below 60 IBU and 7% is also false.

No one was criticizing him for preferring burgers nor was anyone implying that enjoying burgers is indicative of low standards of taste.

Back on topic, I had a glass of Heelch O'Hops DIPA by Anderson Valley Brewing tonight with dinner and enjoyed it quite a bit. Had lots of pine and grapefruit character but remained crisp, balanced, and food friendly.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kudosx posted:

The term foodie is pretty dumb, but I don't get pissed when people call me one. I don't really know what else you would be called. OH has some fantastic burger places, and some of them have some really great happy hour deals.

It could be worse, a co-worker always calls me a hipster because I like craft beer and mention local restaurants she isn't familiar with. :bang:

Two beers that have really impressed me over the weekend:

Three Floyd's Permanent Funeral is probably one of the best IPAs I've had in a while, better than the latest Pipeworks IPAs (which are all really good), better than Lawson's Kiwi IPA, and even better than some Hill Farmstead IPAs. Its got a great pineapple tropical flavor with a decent amount of sweetness. I can only hope they have bottles of this in two weeks when I'm in Chicago

Cigar City's Capricho Oscuro Batch 5 seemed to have flown under everybody's radar - it was announced for sale at the brewery and it sold out relatively quickly. Thankfully a fellow goon (Shand on BA, I'm not sure what his name is on SA) hooked me up with some bottles while I was down there for Hunahpu Day. Lots of cognac and brandy like flavors, it's definitely a big and boozy sipper. I've got a few bottles left but I honestly wish I had a case of it. Easily one of my favorite beers so far this year.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 15, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Eejit posted:

Honestly these posts came across a little as stalking the KBS deliveryman.

About as dumb as beer geek, cigar aficionado, oenophile, or any of the other labels for enthusiasts of this or that. Honestly what else do you call someone who is nerdy about their food?

first, what Perfectly Cromulent said.

bit of an exaggeration on my part (responding to a Midorka post can do that), but in my experience "foodie" basically means "food hipster." we buy our meat and vegetables at the farmer's market, i drink expensive-rear end coffee, we don't eat at chain restaurants and generally avoid fast food, and we like Ethiopian or Vietnamese as much as a good burger, but we don't instagram our meals, have a surface-level obsession with "authentic" hole-in-the-wall spots, or have a sense of superiority at being one of the first to follow X food truck's twitter. again, my experience, but also the term just sounds stupid- i mean, with a few exceptions, we're all pretty into food- so if someone wants to quantify their level of food enjoyment, i believe words have existed for a long time: gourmet, gourmand, epicure, gastronome, etc.

had my first Boon Kriek last night, pretty much tasted like a Luden's lozenge. can't say i loved it and i'm surprised to read that they did not add any sweetener to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Notable things I drank this weekend:

Oxbow Brewing Oxtoberfest - Monk's recently hosted an Oxbow tap takeover in the back bar. Sadly I was only able to sample one of the beers, but it was quite enjoyable. The name makes you think it's going to be an Octoberfest lager but it's actually a saison. More than that though, it's a smoked saison. Very interesting brew in any case. Very malty and dry. The smoke complimented the flavor nicely. I didn't get a lot of citrus or sour notes from it, which was mildly disappointing , but it was a very satisfying beer. Maybe the smoke concealed some of the flavors I'm used to in a saison, which wasn't a bad thing. Just different.

Dogfish Head Hellhound On My Ale - After leaving Monk's I went to Han Dynasty for dinner. I thought a nice hoppy IPA would be a good with my double cooked fish and spicy cucumber. Sadly this beer did not deliver the kick I was looking for. This beer is seriously lacking the citrus notes I desired. Instead it's very malty with lots of pine resin flavor. It was very crisp and bubbly. I'll have to give this one another try sometime because I feel like it was probably good, just not what I was looking for at that moment.

Stillwater Cellar Door - I finished the evening splitting a bottle of this with my girlfriend and it was the highlight of the evening. It had all the spice and citrus notes I'm looking for in a saison without being overpowering in any direction. This is an incredible sipper with great floral and herbal notes to round out the spice. This may not replace Saison Dupont as my go-to, but its probably going to join it in regular rotation.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 15, 2013