Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Honestly, I'm not all that surprised. I've pulled a few dozen of those bolts and never broken one, probably a dozen of those studs and only broken one... and it was while putting it back together. On the back. On a 6 cylinder, in an XJ. While putting it back together to get its inspection sticker. AKA there was absolutely no loving space or time to work, and it broke off flush with the head.

It's still in there, in the beater XJ, no CEL, passed inspection, no fucks given.

It's a 4.0, you could probably hold it on with a ratchet strap and it'd be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Tusen Takk posted:

I successfully lost my brake fluid cap today :saddowns:. I think I know where I left it, but I'm still annoyed that I lost the thing I promised myself I wouldn't lose.

This is why I don't have you on my ignore list. You never fail to deliver :newfap:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Tusen Takk posted:

I successfully lost my brake fluid cap today :saddowns:. I think I know where I left it, but I'm still annoyed that I lost the thing I promised myself I wouldn't lose.

You had a promise to yourself to never lose your brake fluid cap?

I mean, I wouldn't want to lose one, but it's not like I looked at it one day and said to myself "ALRIGHT, I swear I will never lose that."

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Some fuckwit put a scratch running ALL THE WAY DOWN the passenger side of the 840 a couple days ago. Like, starting just behind the front marker, all the way through the door, and terminating about 12" from the taillight. You could see it from 15 feet away. Holy poo poo, if I could have caught him doing it. :fuckoff: Anyway, I pulled out the rubbing compound to see what I could do with it, and (to my surprise) got it completely out. :woop: Also took the opportunity to go around the car and rub off any other marks I could find. Holy poo poo there were a ton of them.

Tomorrow's plan is to do a full tune-up / oil change on the Escalade in preparation for a camping trip next week. New MSD wires, plugs, oil, Auto-RX, and filter all ready to go. Now I just need to make sure to not be a lazy rear end and actually do it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hypnolobster posted:

You had a promise to yourself to never lose your brake fluid cap?

I mean, I wouldn't want to lose one, but it's not like I looked at it one day and said to myself "ALRIGHT, I swear I will never lose that."

Desperate times call for desperate measures :v:.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Gave my driver's seat a good wipedown of Connolly's Hide Food and then replaced the wiper blades. On the C6, you have to put up the hood before you can swing the wiper arms outward. For aero, I suppose.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Checked tyres and coolant on the Fairlane and Niva. Bled the clutch on the Niva, secured the battery and fixed a few minor things. Doesn't seem like much and it really wasn't but there was a lot of thought put into the bleeding.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
How does one even get in a position to lose their brake fluid cap?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cleaned up the carnage

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

Cleaned up the carnage

Aw hell, that sucks dude. Did they take anything?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fucknag posted:

Aw hell, that sucks dude. Did they take anything?

Nope, it was vandalized for the sake of it. Gym bag in the back seat was untouched.

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008
For the longest time I've wanted the special parts off a 1984 Anniversary edition 300ZX to put on my own car, finally did it.

Wheel spacers after this, but she'll be on the road this week.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Lightbulb Out posted:

How does one even get in a position to lose their brake fluid cap?

This is Tussy Talk we're talking about here... :cheeky:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Goober Peas posted:

This is Tussy Talk we're talking about here... :cheeky:

And from what I recall I don't think this is the first time he's lost it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Larrymer posted:

It's questionable that he had it in the first place. :colbert:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Tusen Takk posted:

You are the reason mass transit exists.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Front wheel bearing. Something about working in lovely weather makes things go quick for me, less than 80 minutes to haul out all my tools, do the bearing and haul them back in.

Now my car has one non-rusty part.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Tried to replace the passenger seat belt on my 96 T100. The dog chewed right through it over a year ago, but haven't been able to find a donor part locally (and Toyota wants $300 for it, shipped from Japan).

I finally found a 93 T100 being parted out, but after removing the trim and removing the old cartridge, it's painfully obvious it won't work without major tweaking. I'm not sure if modifying how a seat belt is bolted into the vehicle is the safest thing to do, so might just buck up and pay the dealership.

Fortunately, the sun finally crept it's way out, so managed to give the truck it's first proper cleaning since buying it. I'm actually quite surprised how well the paint has held up over 17 years, considering all I've done for the past 5 years is wash it with some OTC wash + wax soap.

Dawn, clay, ultimate compound and 1 coat of NXT. Hope to lay down a second coat next week.

Bonus shot of other stuff my dog has ruined. Who needs overdrive or windshield wiper fluid anyways...

Reggie Died fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 14, 2013

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

:mmmhmm: (I'm a child).

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Larrymer posted:

I lost the one that came with the car, and I lost the one I bought from the dealer to replace it. Now that my hydraulic system isn't leaking, once I replace the cap I shouldn't have to open it until the next time I need to flush the fluid.

edit: I work next to FAG's company headquarters, I didn't know they made hubs though..

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
One-piece hub units are pretty common, and far far nicer to change because you don't need to pack & pre-load the bearings.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Yeah, it was a breeze to do. The inner race didn't even stay on the spindle so it made it super quick. The downside is they aren't cheap. 150 for the FAG unit and I didn't really want to cheap out with one of rockauto's budget brands.

Also, from a poster at work:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Crustashio posted:

Yeah, it was a breeze to do. The inner race didn't even stay on the spindle so it made it super quick. The downside is they aren't cheap. 150 for the FAG unit and I didn't really want to cheap out with one of rockauto's budget brands.

Also, from a poster at work:

I have the very same thing at work. Childish yes, but I still laughed at it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

DJ Commie posted:

I don't expect that to work well without a single bit of ground plane.

Its an un-grounded antenna meant for wood/fiberglass boats and claimed on the package that it doesn't need a ground plane so I'm not too worried about it.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I had to clay bar several spots of bird dung. Apparently it can set in enough that you can't just wipe it off. It looked especially bad on my white paint.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Puddin posted:

I have the very same thing at work. Childish yes, but I still laughed at it.

I am glad I am not the only one that was chuckling at this. FAG bearings!

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Changed oil and rear diff fluid on the 4Runner...

Shiny bits in your engine oil are good right???

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Black88GTA posted:

Tomorrow's plan is to do a full tune-up / oil change on the Escalade in preparation for a camping trip next week. New MSD wires, plugs, oil, Auto-RX, and filter all ready to go. Now I just need to make sure to not be a lazy rear end and actually do it.

Got this all done today :toot: I suck at taking pics during jobs, although I did get a few. No pics of the oil change, because that's boring and it went kind of lovely anyway. Despite my best efforts to not make a mess, the wind made the oil piss everywhere except the drain pan. :sigh: Couldn't find my strap wrench OR the filter adapter, so I had to put a screwdriver through the filter, which made even more mess. Maybe next time I should get my tools in order beforehand. Or, you know, actually rent a house with a loving garage. I am so jealous of all you guys with garages / shops. Working in your insect-covered, steeply sloped driveway blows.

Old wires / plugs. I couldn't tell if the wires were original or not, although they certainly looked like they could have been. The truck has 181k miles on it.

Old plugs close up. I think these had been done at least once, but they were ready to come out.

All back together. I cleaned up the engine covers a little, although the whole bay needs a good scrubbing. That's a job for some other day.

The truck definitely felt a lot better during the quick test drive I did. Huge improvement. A++, would waste Sunday replacing old poo poo again

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

-A n i m 8- posted:

Installed new bumper and side skirts.

Looks really nice; great choices :coolfish:

Rhyno posted:

Cleaned up the carnage

Dang man, that sucks :( Seems like it was about a month ago that you were saying the same to me :/

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 15, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Paul Boz_ posted:

Looks really nice; great choices :coolfish:

Dang man, that sucks :( Seems like it was about a month ago that you were saying the same to me :/

We're part of a sucky rear end club.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

Yeah, the YJ is the same, I can't imagine being that clumsy either.

XJ/ZJ/MJ setup (yay unibody frame rail being drat close to the block!):

The filter's basically parallel with and only a few inches from the sender, so if you have to use a strap wrench or even a lot of muscle and your hand, there's a drat solid chance of bashing into the sender when it comes loose. It's a plastic body with the metal end housing crimped on, so hitting them wrong usually results in a cracked housing.

When I was a quicklube grease monkey nearly a decade ago we kept new jeep senders on hand because one got busted every couple weeks. Better to have one there to throw in than to have to keep a customer waiting in their car while you send someone to the parts store.

Ah, the 2.5 has a slightly different mounting. Guess they improved that when they designed it, though it's based off the 4.0. The oil filter is in the same place, but closer to the block, so it clears the frame rail easily, and the oil pressure sender is between the distributor and the front of the block, with a 90-degree adapter because of the engine mount, there.

Speaking of which, I fixed my oil pressure gauge. After testing the gauge and wiring by grounding it (it swings to zero when grounded with 0 Ohms,) and verifying that the OP sender was actually at ground with the engine off, it turned out that the terminal inside the Weatherpak connector had managed to scoot up inside the housing, so it wasn't making contact. Fixed that, and I have an oil pressure reading. Also replaced the temp sender, since it was mostly shorting to ground. Thank you O'reilly's warranty.
I had to fix the odometer on my new gauge cluster. I managed to bugger the spur gear between the tenths and ones when resetting it to match my old cluster's mileage. It would get stuck every third time around, so I swapped it with the gear between the 10K and 100K, set so the problem spur had just passed so I don't have to worry about it for over 200K miles more. :D
Let's see... Put in new steel battery terminals to replace the crapped up lead ones that were in there, and installed a battery hold-down to keep the battery from wandering around the engine compartment. Also added a can of 134a to the AC, and was amazed when it started cooling down to 45 degrees (80 degrees out, fairly high humidity.) Then I think I added too much, because the compressor started cycling too much, and staying mostly off. May need to take it to a shop just so they can recover the 134a and start from vacuum with the proper amount.

Had a look at the clutch hydraulics to see about bleeding it, and was astounded that both the master and the slave are plastic! And no sign of a bleeder. Will need to consult the manual.

I'm getting a clunk under certain conditions from the front end, feels like it's right under my feet. I'm assuming that's the 200K-mile control arm bushings signalling for replacement, so that's on the to-do list now.

General Failure: Awesome! Glad you finally got that thing home. I think I would totally buy one f they had ever imported them here to the US in any numbers, so I could be assured of parts. Not much point in a cheap sledgehammer-simple car if all the parts have to come from overseas.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

General Failure: Awesome! Glad you finally got that thing home. I think I would totally buy one f they had ever imported them here to the US in any numbers, so I could be assured of parts. Not much point in a cheap sledgehammer-simple car if all the parts have to come from overseas.

That's true. There are importers for parts here, plus there's online ordering. I'm kind of used to doing it with cars anyway.

Anyhow today I took the Fairlane for a 300km round trip. Went well. A little too well. It was getting better than 7.5L/100km.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Maybe you flogged it into submission towing that trailer and car home?

I discovered a trashed CV boot today on the cruiser. Hoping it will make the 2000km trip home to where all my tools are, cos i DONT want to try and replace it up here in Lismore!

Pain in the arse thing is its an outer boot, so It moves around waaay to much to clean it up and wrap the poo poo out of it with duct tape.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Maybe you flogged it into submission towing that trailer and car home?

I discovered a trashed CV boot today on the cruiser. Hoping it will make the 2000km trip home to where all my tools are, cos i DONT want to try and replace it up here in Lismore!

Pain in the arse thing is its an outer boot, so It moves around waaay to much to clean it up and wrap the poo poo out of it with duct tape.

I think I may have.

That CV leak is a huge pain. I was going to say you could duct tape it but if you can't then how are you going to fix it? The drive back would be murder on it.

What I did today on the Niva:
Adjusted the timing chain. Adjusted the points. Adjusted the timing. All three needed the crank.

Started washing and waxing panels at random. Flooded the drivers footwell in the process. Attacked more stuff with fake armor-all. Ran out. Boo :(

Later I'm going to try to dry the carpet with a hair dryer and maybe pick up more knockoff armor-all from IGA depending on how much of a ripoff it is.

The wash and wax definitely makes the totally messed up paint look less horrible.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Any chance you can sew it back together with a heavy needle and say 20# monofilament?

Ghetto, but at least it should keep most of the dust out of the CV for the trip home.

Amoan
Nov 5, 2009

LIGHTS!:science:

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

did the oil on my NC MX-5 and got that poo poo absolutely everywhere before, during and after having to use the screwdriver method to remove the old filter.

I work at a Mazda dealership and I loathe the placement of mx5 filters. Whichever engineer decided that putting it there was a good idea needs to be beaten. We use a dealer plate placeholder as a slide for the oil. Rx8 are no fun either sine they are upside down but a screwdriver solves all that. :black101:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im doing highways all the way home so dust shouldnt be an issue.

I'll have a brand new CV shaft sitting there waiting for me when I get there so im just running the drat thing as it is and if its clicky and crunchy I dont really care.

Worst case scenerio, I stop in at Dubbo, buy a brass drift, a 12mm spanner and 2x 14mm spanners, pull the drive flanges, replace em with the ends of 2L PET water bottles and then drop the front drive shaft and throw it in the back.

Then lock the centre diff and drive the drat thing home in RWD

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
I found that clean Mercedes W124 coupe I've been looking for, just not in the right place...

This is the rare, more desirable 1994-95 'facelift' version, with only a few dents and scratches in the finish. A failed headgasket was the only issue I could see, maybe the engine was blown.

Lucas, cad plating & stainless clamps, partsbin electrical connectors from 1970, bullet fuses, weird vacuum pods and miles of neon hose: the sign of a real engine bay.

$1000.00 CASH OBO! ~

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Amoan posted:

I work at a Mazda dealership and I loathe the placement of mx5 filters. Whichever engineer decided that putting it there was a good idea needs to be beaten. We use a dealer plate placeholder as a slide for the oil. Rx8 are no fun either sine they are upside down but a screwdriver solves all that. :black101:

I think the Miata thing is probably due to the MZR family being designed primarily for FWD applications, so that spot would be relatively easy to get to. Do those motors use a cartridge filter like the 2.3 does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoan
Nov 5, 2009

LIGHTS!:science:

Fucknag posted:

I think the Miata thing is probably due to the MZR family being designed primarily for FWD applications, so that spot would be relatively easy to get to. Do those motors use a cartridge filter like the 2.3 does?

Screw ons. At least the ones I've seen. I just started tbh and I see mostly cx5 s